Male HQ

any recommendations for Whey Protein for bulking up?

30yochinese

All previous "Whey Protein" topics are closed so I'm creating a new one coz i intend to buy the normal 5LB whey protein from GNC for $89 nett but I'm very sure I can get the same product cheaper elsewhere, anyone knows? Appreciate the info =) 

9 hours ago, 30yochinese said:

All previous "Whey Protein" topics are closed so I'm creating a new one coz i intend to buy the normal 5LB whey protein from GNC for $89 nett but I'm very sure I can get the same product cheaper elsewhere, anyone knows? Appreciate the info =) 

is money a concern ?

have you tried the usual nutridepot nutrifirst fitlion iherb lush ... etc ?

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

I get mine from Qoo10, cheaper due to coupons and they deliver free of charge to my place, so save me the hassle.  Especially now cos of National Day coupons. However not everyone likes Qoo10 cos it looks very cluttered.

Thx @MikeC !!!

allow me to add a follow-up-comment:    

I know it is stupid for me to buy <Whey Protein> from GNC but my reason for not wanting to buy it from online sources is because i have not tasted/sampled the product & i fear when i do open it & make it & drink it...the "so called Chocolate taste" might not be to my liking...

At least for GNC...for the past month...everytime i passby their outlets (so far i have done this at 6 GNC shops)...i have already sampled all their <Whey Protein> products coz they do store a bottle of product-sample in their fridge...so thankfully, before i buy 2LB of the <GNC Whey Protein>, at least i confirm will like the taste & will be able to finish the whole 2LB.

Anyone bought <Whey Protein> online only to regret the taste of the product? thx for sharing ur insights...

All the flavours are overrated. Best is still the unflavoured whey protein.

The reason we are drinking protein is not for "tea break" or leisure. Protein is just needed to maximise our muscle growth as we grind hard in the gym. Just gulp it down quickly even if the taste is not to your liking.

We are just telling you not to waste money on GNC products. But if you really like the flavour and that is the very important to you, I guess GNC's one is fine.

2 hours ago, 30yochinese said:

Thx @MikeC !!!

allow me to add a follow-up-comment:    

I know it is stupid for me to buy <Whey Protein> from GNC but my reason for not wanting to buy it from online sources is because i have not tasted/sampled the product & i fear when i do open it & make it & drink it...the "so called Chocolate taste" might not be to my liking...

At least for GNC...for the past month...everytime i passby their outlets (so far i have done this at 6 GNC shops)...i have already sampled all their <Whey Protein> products coz they do store a bottle of product-sample in their fridge...so thankfully, before i buy 2LB of the <GNC Whey Protein>, at least i confirm will like the taste & will be able to finish the whole 2LB.

Anyone bought <Whey Protein> online only to regret the taste of the product? thx for sharing ur insights...

I think given the description you wrote, and to be fair, GNC carries many brands of whey protein products. When others talk about purchase online, they are also talking about shops that sells different brands of whey protein, so in fact, it could be possible you guys are referring to the same product. Best to talk about brands than to talk about suppliers to prevent any misunderstanding.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been gyming for over 20 years....I go through stages.  Initially very inspired by all those huge bodybuiders in those bodybuilding mags.  Trained like crazy and put on 10kg in the first 2 years of starting regular gym workouts.  I must have spent hundreds/Thousands of dollars on protein supplements and the likes over the years...Now in my early 50s I still gym regularly, to maintain my health and built.  What I've learn over the 20+ years of training is....taking or not taking protein supplement don't make any noticeable difference to me.  For me a balanced regular diet is much more important than protein supplements,   Your genetics determines how far you can progress (of course sport enhancement drugs does helps, but they only works while you are on them and you revert back to your natural shape when you stop...so unless you want to be on them for the rest of your life and not to mention the exorbitant cost and damages to your health if you do them.... most of those famous international bodybuilders in the 80s and 90s were dead by the time they are in their mid 40s!) 

So my advise is not to spend your hard earned money on protein supplements... better spend them on good and enough food.  Take a multi-vitamin in cycles if you want to ensure you get all the nutrition. If you want to add more protein into your diet....Egg whites are the best  and the most digestible protein and its also the cheapest gram per gram compare to those rip off protein supplements.....each egg give about 8 to 13 grams of protein (depending on size and if you eat the yoke or not)..... I eat up to 6 eggs a day on top of my regular meals if I trained very hard, but I limit my yoke intake to 2 per day..

Edited by Fit4Masc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bulking up is more than just protein shakes to be honest. It has more to do with your diet and calorie intake. Your goal is to have a high protein diet as suggested by @Fit4Masc. Egg whites, lean chicken, salmon, etc. Don't worry too much about weight, focus on shape. It is easier to bulk up a bit more, than sculpt down. Think of bodybuilders who are off season, they tend to be a bit heavier than lean down for competition. Instead of 3 meals per day, try breaking into 5 or 6. Snack things like almonds, or a protein bar in-between. So you are constantly eating and training. 

Love. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got a bit inspired after reading the topic :)

Ordered 10kg of Hard Extreme Gainer (protein + carb) from myprotein.com and shall see the result after 3 months

Current stat 177cm 64.5kg... will be pleased if can touch 68kg 

My exercise routine is more cardio based... typically cycle 60km per week + 3x30min swim (learning stage)

Aim is to complete a tri event next year

9 hours ago, barocco80 said:

Got a bit inspired after reading the topic :)

Ordered 10kg of Hard Extreme Gainer (protein + carb) from myprotein.com and shall see the result after 3 months

Current stat 177cm 64.5kg... will be pleased if can touch 68kg 

My exercise routine is more cardio based... typically cycle 60km per week + 3x30min swim (learning stage)

Aim is to complete a tri event next year

You won't hit that weight if you keep on doing what you are doing. You need to incorporate some strength training sessions otherwise your muscles won't be able to grow.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.