Male HQ

How to caramelize a sugar?

Guest Blowingchef

Guest Blowingchef

I would like to make a custard for my bf. he likes it very much. To impress him this coming weekend, I have been trying to make one but always fail on caramelizing the sugar. It always get burned and tastes so bitter. How to do the right thing?

Guest Persona

The sugar need to be cooked at a low heat temperature. You need to constantly stirr the sugar until it melted and becomes golden brown..

Edited by Oraclemoon

8 hours ago, Oraclemoon said:

The sugar need to be cooked at a low heat temperature. You need to constantly stirr the sugar until it melted and becomes golden brown..

ratio of sugar to water is 2:1. so more sugar lesser water. stirring and temperature control is key. you don't want to burn it to fast (it's a pain to clean burnt sugar)

Guest Persona
17 hours ago, Slimboy said:

ratio of sugar to water is 2:1. so more sugar lesser water. stirring and temperature control is key. you don't want to burn it to fast (it's a pain to clean burnt sugar)

Oh yeah, totally forgot about the sugar/water ratio. Thanks for reminding. 

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:26 PM, Guest Blowingchef said:

I would like to make a custard for my bf. he likes it very much. To impress him this coming weekend, I have been trying to make one but always fail on caramelizing the sugar. It always get burned and tastes so bitter. How to do the right thing?

so lucky of him!
don't u torch the surface w those torch?

take note of the amber colour of the caramel, too deep = too bitter. a nice rich golden color can le, like what the above people said

Cooking is my passion. Music is my life. Reading is my sanity. 

Bitching about you keeps me happy. 

"People fear because of a lack of understanding, and a lack of understanding comes from a lack of proper communication on both parties, so to resolve fear we need to first resolve communication"

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.