Male HQ

The Arena

I wonder how many of you watches 'The Arena'- the 'Emmy award nominated' inter-school debate series. I am quite a fan although half the time I dont understand the words that are coming out their mouths. But it's still very intriguing to watch and it is one program that actually challenges you to think. You got to pay close understanding to what they are saying and the speakers often deliver their views in rapid-fire mode. My observation is that the foreign speaker is always more coherent than our local kid who tends to slur and just talk too fast (a bit like Chris Tucker). Like in tonight's episode, though the kids from Indian Int'l School lost, they were the far better speakers than the local peers from Jurong Secondary School.

Another part of my fascination with the program is the judges. I am a fan of Dr Seet. What a colourful character and a really smart insightful person! The other fascinating judge is Lawyer Gaurav- goodness, he is handsome and a mighty eloquent speaker to boot (and the best speaker for me anyway) for the whole of the entire series. The last judge is often a guest- tonight it was Dr Ivy. Replacing Adrian Pang is a cutie, Jason who is a credible host but just lacks the cheekiness and spunkiness of the former. The Arena is one of our better local show and not to be missed.

Guest bearbear

I love it too but no as much as ANTM or HEROES but its cool. Wish they had shows like these when I was in school, I would have been best bitch speaker, lol. The only thing is I have not seen once in season 1 or season 2 anyway speak their minds wo missing their words or going ahhhhh or but or hmmmmm between words( I understand they are teens but it would be super to get a chance to see) and I prefer season one when the host was Adrian Pang and Eunice Olsen was one of the judges not that Lawer guy( I agree he looks ok but he act like he thinks he all that).

bb

• Guest locked this topic