Male HQ

Orr Jian... Orr Luak... Oh-a-jian....

This is about as sinful as fuud can get...

start wif a ladle of lard...

pour in 2 ladles of sweet potato flour/water mix.... let it fry and harden...

beat in a few eggs on to the white thinggy... and fry some more without stirring it...

ladle in a pre-mix broth... turn the pancake over and fry other side... add more lard...

cut it up with your ladle/wok spatula...

spoon in a few fresh oysters... fry a bit more... add chilli if needed...

sprinkle on some fresh chopped spring onions...

put into plate and serve with special chilli sauce...

sweet potato flour, eggs, oysters, broth (lots of msg) and spring onions... and LARD...yes...

not for the faint hearted, but well done, you will totally enjoy it...

any recommendations? (before i put mine down?)

heh... any one tried doing this at home???

b

Edited by Baloo

• 1 month later...

hmmm... it seems no one knows or likes to eat this dish around here??

or all taste the same, or all banned it from their personal menu already??

well... I still think this dish should be appreciated, and shared among a few friends, once in a while...

so many nice places with quite tasty or jian...

Chomp Chomp for instance...

I just discovered an or jian stall that does 'out of this world' or jian... ok so i am sua ku about it ya...

but it's a most dinghy corner coffeeshop that most people would just pass and go on to the more clean looking, more variety and airy eateries a few doors away, and beyond...

it's at the corner of Simon Road and Upper Serangoon Road no less... next to the new boutique food shops claiming 'authentic' foods from china etc... and the famous Punggol Nasi Lemak shop is also there, and the Hong Kong dim sum ... quite a large outlet... doing a roaring business esp at nite... not to mention the 4 -5 fruit stores... and racks upon racks of DURIAN..... and other fruits...

ok back to the or jian in question... it's probably the most sinful i ever tried, yet the absolute best tasting in terms of how well it's fried, and the texture of the starch... the orr jian is slowly and patiently fried till CRISPY... yet still succulant... and the oysters... were ULTRAFRESH... i.e. it din even have the fishy taste as it explodes in your mouth...

and NO, you should not ta pau this one... once the dish cools... the lard will harden, the whole dish would be ruined... and tastes eeeech..... and microwaving it just won't bring back the glory of it fresh in your face when you sit there to eat it...

haha... no dun bother wif pics... it dun look visually good... it just tastes fabulous... haha... and not so ex either...

this stall is sold out by early evening... so dun bother late nite visits... it's a day time stall, and the owner seems to be doing this 'part time' must be 'tan gau leow...'

but I tell you... you din try it... you never tried orr jian yet... this is the benchmark for me... and woe betide me if i cannot find another like it to relive the experience....

yum...

moderator's note - *there is no need to quote the entire immediate past post... and looking at it carefully, I dun think 'what' type of flour was mentioned ... but thank you very much for the additional information*

Its not wheat flour btw, they use sweet potato flour for the starchy part of the orr luak.

Edited by Baloo

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.