Male HQ

What do you do w clothes u regret buying

Leanmeat

Guest Unbranded

I donated tones to Salvation Army, not that my cloths are branded.  Could have joined a small flea market selling 1 for $5 bucks instead, but that will be a hassle.

Most of the time Carousell sell off. No choice. If really cannot get rid, then Salvation Army or 2nd Hand shop if the clothes is expensive. 

Like many of you,  I get rid of unwanted clothes by giving them anonymously to an institution that has a collecting bin for clothes in a mall nearby.

Never again will I call Salvation Army or similar to pick them up, because thereafter they will keep repeatedly asking for clothes.

Fortunately I don't need to get rid of many clothes.  I haven't changed shape for decades, I'm not into fashion, so clothes last me a long time.

last year I cleared out a big chunk of my wardrobe and my part-time maid was so happy to take it back. I know she has 2 daughters back home so I asked her what she wants to do with all the men's clothes I'm discarding, and she said she donates it to a charity similar to Dress for Success: they dress up people of lower income for their job interviews or first day at work.

A couple of weeks ago she sent me several photos of filipino men to show me how my old work clothes have been given a new lease of life, and I was heartened to know that all the beneficiaries have started work. :) 

Guest Guest
10 minutes ago, zyjd said:

last year I cleared out a big chunk of my wardrobe and my part-time maid was so happy to take it back. I know she has 2 daughters back home so I asked her what she wants to do with all the men's clothes I'm discarding, and she said she donates it to a charity similar to Dress for Success: they dress up people of lower income for their job interviews or first day at work.

A couple of weeks ago she sent me several photos of filipino men to show me how my old work clothes have been given a new lease of life, and I was heartened to know that all the beneficiaries have started work. :) 

giphy.gif&ehk=RUjj2gasY2c5m2Bqt3dAnw

Guest Guest
10 hours ago, zyjd said:

You are really so naïve. For all that you know, she might have sold off the clothes or even rent it out to people for money. And those pictures were just some fake evidences to give you the false impression that she was doing it for charity (or more likely for business purposes). IF earning money is unimportant to her, she won't be your maid in the first place. And if she can even leave her family to be a maid here, what makes you so sure she will forego a chance to earn more money from you?

Charity? Yeah, right.....  

8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

You are really so naïve. For all that you know, she might have sold off the clothes or even rent it out to people for money. And those pictures were just some fake evidences to give you the false impression that she was doing it for charity (or more likely for business purposes). IF earning money is unimportant to her, she won't be your maid in the first place. And if she can even leave her family to be a maid here, what makes you so sure she will forego a chance to earn more money from you?

Charity? Yeah, right.....  

I m very skeptical  about their integrity too. Personally I know  many people  (including myself n Leon lai, yes the singer) who had bad experience of missing articles with them as domestic helpers. 

But other than galanguni, I don't think any local  would want used clothing? 

Edited by fab

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

So what if people you give to resell your clothes. You already dont want them. And they lessen your guilt of wrong purchases.  When u give ppl things, its up to them to do what they want with it. At least the clothes dont go straight to wherever clothes go and die and hasten our environmental degradation. 

Edited by lean n mean

On 6/21/2019 at 11:21 PM, zyjd said:

must be feeling good to see ur clothes are used and appreciated

well done man!

On 6/21/2019 at 8:38 PM, Steve5380 said:

Like many of you,  I get rid of unwanted clothes by giving them anonymously to an institution that has a collecting bin for clothes in a mall nearby.

Never again will I call Salvation Army or similar to pick them up, because thereafter they will keep repeatedly asking for clothes.

Fortunately I don't need to get rid of many clothes.  I haven't changed shape for decades, I'm not into fashion, so clothes last me a long time.

so u get irritated of them? i believe u can deal it better by politely telling them u do not have any clothes, instead of telling us indirectly not to use them to avoid harassment.

Hmmm..... is harassment the correct word to use?! if u are not irritated by it, then what better word to use. 

i wonder.....

1 hour ago, benedict5856 said:

so u get irritated of them? i believe u can deal it better by politely telling them u do not have any clothes, instead of telling us indirectly not to use them to avoid harassment.

Hmmm..... is harassment the correct word to use?! if u are not irritated by it, then what better word to use. 

i wonder.....

You can keep wandering around wondering.  My experience with non-profit charity institutions takes place in the US.  In your country it may be different.  And what you do with these institutions is your business, I don't "indirectly tell you".  Also what you wrote that I get irritated and am harassed...  is purely your invention.

After I once made contributions to one of these institutions, they call me back and send me mail forever requesting more contributions.  And more institutions appear, like they have a shared list of people who make donations. 

Guest mean and stupid
14 hours ago, lean n mean said:

So what if people you give to resell your clothes. You already dont want them. And they lessen your guilt of wrong purchases.  When u give ppl things, its up to them to do what they want with it. At least the clothes dont go straight to wherever clothes go and die and hasten our environmental degradation. 

Wah liao... If you donate money to a charity and it turned out that they siphoned that money into their own personal pocket, will you say the same thing arguing that you already have the intentions to donate the money away anyway, so it is ok? 

If that's the case, I might as well wait and hold on to give the money or items to someone as REAL charity who really need it more. If you disagree, you can also give me your money as charity, can? 

What's wrong with the people here on this forum? Have they really gone stupid? Or are you a Filipino trying to defend that Filipino maid? 

guess I always try to choose to give others the benefit of doubt whenever possible. Sure, that thought of her reselling my clothes did cross my mind before but I consciously chose to give her the benefit of the doubt. I didn't set out to do charity in the first place; these clothes were going to the Salvation Army's collection point anyway so since she volunteered to take them off me, by all means. Even if she did sell it, she had to pay for the excess baggage charges to bring it home, so I don't think there's anything wrong if she wanted to make some money out of it.

One man's trash can be someone else's treasure. If she can profit from what I deem to be my trash, why not? She's been a very good part-time maid for me. :)

Just my two cents, lah. :)

On 6/21/2019 at 8:38 PM, Steve5380 said:

Got such a collecting bin for unwanted  clothes? I dun knw of any at east side.

1 minute ago, Leanmeat said:

Got such a collecting bin for unwanted  clothes? I dun knw of any at east side.

I was writing about my experience in the US,  where some charities place bins in public places to collect donated clothes. 

Maybe you don't have them in Singapore?

Just now, Steve5380 said:

I was writing about my experience in the US,  where some charities place bins in public places to collect donated clothes. 

Maybe you don't have them in Singapore?

Oh...aiya, I tot u mean Spore...

On 6/21/2019 at 11:53 PM, doncoin said:

There is a local charity that runs a thrift store where I am based and the clothes I donated gets sold. The money collected goes to help those with HIV/AIDS with housing and meals. 

Here in Spore?

2 minutes ago, Leanmeat said:

Oh...aiya, I tot u mean Spore...

we do, actually. There's a Salvation Army very near where I live in Changi, and here's their address: 7 Upper Changi Rd N, Singapore 507705. Believe they have one at Bishan too and their address is 20 Bishan Street 22, Singapore 579768.

Hope this helps! :)

1 minute ago, zyjd said:

we do, actually. There's a Salvation Army very near where I live in Changi, and here's their address: 7 Upper Changi Rd N, Singapore 507705. Believe they have one at Bishan too and their address is 20 Bishan Street 22, Singapore 579768.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Guest mean and stupid said:

Wah liao... If you donate money to a charity and it turned out that they siphoned that money into their own personal pocket, will you say the same thing arguing that you already have the intentions to donate the money away anyway, so it is ok? 

If that's the case, I might as well wait and hold on to give the money or items to someone as REAL charity who really need it more. If you disagree, you can also give me your money as charity, can? 

What's wrong with the people here on this forum? Have they really gone stupid? Or are you a Filipino trying to defend that Filipino maid? 

Before you label others so readily as stupid just because they don't share the same opinions as you (and thank goodness for that), it is actually super lame to compare giving clothes away as the same as donating money to charity. Unless you see clothes and money as the same value and both can do the same things (and let's not even go with the checks and balances a charity has compared to the simple act of donating clothes).

What else can the clothes that is given away be used for? The recipient either wears them or sells them. Would you feel better if they swear to you, with tears in their eyes, that they will keep them in mint condition and wear them only on very special occasions? What conditions would you specify before you give them your finery? Please enlighten and share. 

And what's there to defend the domestic helper for? She need not have bothered to take the pics as proof of what she did with them and none would be wiser. If the giver is happy to give her the clothes, what the fuck has that got to do with you? When you call him naive (who are you to judge him for his generosity) and you say things like  "And if she can even leave her family to be a maid here...", it only shows you are the one that is naive (I'm already being very kind here with the adjective as I don't like to pronounce others as stoopid, stupid) . Don't attempt to sugarcoat your bitter cynicism as weary wisdom. It doesn't take much at all to see it as what it is. 

And since you asked, I am Singaporean and if u r one, I am deeply ashamed on your behalf for your last sentence. 

Edited by lean n mean

Guest Not real army
On 6/22/2019 at 8:38 PM, zyjd said:

Except Salvation Army are Anti-LGBT so why support groups who go against us.

Guest Guest
On 6/23/2019 at 12:10 AM, lean n mean said:

Unless you see clothes and money as the same value and both can do the same things (and let's not even go with the checks and balances a charity has compared to the simple act of donating clothes).

When it comes to charity, it's the thoughts that counts. Therefore, in that sense, the value of money and that of clothes are both of the same thoughts, and therfore the same value. If it is my thoughts to donate it to charity, it is then not meant to be used as a form of business sale. As for checks and balances on clothes and that on money that a charity in the simple act of donation, they are the same, but clothes will be harder to determine its monetary value. Proper charity will issue you a receipt to list down the items received. Otherwise, even the storeman is free to siphon away the donated items. Such was the issue with some charity items given to support victims in disaster sticken areas. Intermediaries took away so much of the charity to sell such that little was left for the victims. 

Guest Guest
On 6/23/2019 at 10:43 PM, Guest Not real army said:

Except Salvation Army are Anti-LGBT so why support groups who go against us.

That's true. There are so many other charities to give the items away to, eg Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery simplified Chinese: 光明山普觉禅寺 at Bright Hill Road. They converted one section of the ground floor area of the building near the open air carpark into a recycling area. So you can just leave your things there for them to be sorted out. But the temple closes at 4pm everyday, unlike Salvation Army which is opened at all hours. 

• 1 year later...
Guest Guest

I saw people cut and damage their old clothing and dump it at the void deck.Some are still useable but they prefer to cut and not let others use it.

Guest guest

Hey all i will strong encourage you guys to donate those that you no longer wear or can no longer fit you anymore. Recently did an orphanage visit and many of them do not have enough !

But please make sure u do no donate junks. Some of them barely have more than 5 shirts and they even mentioned that even in the orphanage all their clothes are pass down depending of size etc. 

So if u do have extra please donate ! =D

On 7/29/2020 at 1:09 PM, Guest guest said:

Hey all i will strong encourage you guys to donate those that you no longer wear or can no longer fit you anymore. Recently did an orphanage visit and many of them do not have enough !

But please make sure u do no donate junks. Some of them barely have more than 5 shirts and they even mentioned that even in the orphanage all their clothes are pass down depending of size etc. 

So if u do have extra please donate ! =D

Hi, do u mean just any orphanage?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.