Male HQ

Is eating canned tuna flakes in oil everyday healthy?

Guest Justin55

27 minutes ago, Guest Justin55 said:

I'm on tuna diet now. Trying to be fit before summer. Do you think it is okay?

Its high in purine. Not good for kidney. I used to eat with porridge every day. Until my kidney profile not very good. Dont believe in all those diet that say high fat is good n dietary cholesterol wont affect blood cholesterol. Eat more eggs is good. 

What I believe is good is moderation. 

5 hours ago, Guest Justin55 said:

I'm on tuna diet now. Trying to be fit before summer. Do you think it is okay?

I assume your tuna flakes are not the white albacore tuna that is high in mercury.   The oil in tuna cans,  from soybeans or olives, is not bad either.  Also, you don't have high uric acid that can lead to gout.    If so, this food is okay.

But every day may be too often.  Can you alternate with other healthy sources of protein, like chicken breasts, whey protein, eventually eggs, and days without animal protein?  

They say the tuna in water is healthier than the version in oil.

As others said, don't do diets with same food every day. Most important is to change your regular food intake, if you continue as before, you will put on more weight than before your diet.

Walk more on your daily routine. Skip 2 busstops and walk and walk the stairs at your HDB, even if you're on the 13th floor...

2 hours ago, Kimochi said:

Yes, as far as possible, always go for natural food aka non processed food.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Live Long Long

Those canned Tuna flakes are so delicious, and CHEAP!!!!  I see people mixed them into their sandwich.  Yummy, Yummy!!!  Aiya, enjoy lah.  Some people skip these and skip that but ended up also replenished by some other unhealthy suff - snackings, bisucits and even coffee with Sugar Gao Gao.  Than after a meal, went for sex and received something "extra" that needs to be tested .    Hard to avoid lor...best remedy is stay a home -  eat full greens, recuse from sex and guaranteed healthy and safe  to live another 100 years.  Avoid going out to the sun, radiation will make you age faster.  Ya?

53 minutes ago, WheelofTime said:

I sometimes eat canned tuna when I get hungry at night, thinking it's a better alternative compared to potato chips and instant noodles.

Indeed, it is a better alternative.

Can you get in Singapore tuna in BPA-free cans or in pouches?  Fish tastes better from pouches than from cans.

How can eating canned food healthy. Seriously, how can food that canned to be shelf-stable and safe to eat for 1–5 years or longer healthy. 

BPA is a chemical that’s often used in food packaging, including cans.

Studies show that the BPA in canned food can migrate from the can's lining into the food it contains.

One study analyzed 78 canned foods and found BPA in over 90% of them. Furthermore, research has made it clear that eating canned food is a leading cause of BPA exposure. 

In one study, participants who consumed 1 serving of canned soup daily for 5 days experienced more than a 1,000% increase in the levels of BPA in their urine. 

Studies have linked BPA to health problems like heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and male sexual dysfunction.

1 hour ago, fab said:

Eating anything everyday is likely to be unhealthy.

More or less likely,  but not necessarily so.  

Look at our fellow living species:  most animals eat always the same:  cows eat grass, fish eat fish every day :lol:,  giraffes eat tree leaves,  moths eat holes, in wool :(, ...  And this living creature, me,  I eat every day oats, lentils,  avocados, seeds, nuts, bread...and I'm healthy  :)

And by the way, more and more cans are made free of BPA,  and some food is healthier in cans or frozen than fresh.  Canned tomatoes have more lycopene  (an antioxidant) than fresh ones.  Frozen blueberries and other berries are healthier without the additives that keep the fresh ones fresh.  And so are other foods.  

Edited by Steve5380

On 12/18/2019 at 12:30 AM, Guest Purine said:

Its high in purine. Not good for kidney. I used to eat with porridge every day. Until my kidney profile not very good. Dont believe in all those diet that say high fat is good n dietary cholesterol wont affect blood cholesterol. Eat more eggs is good. 

What I believe is good is moderation. 

Got to be careful of egg yolks though,  it is extremely high in cholesterol... Yes moderation is the key and always get your source of nutrient from fresh food and not canned or preserved. 

Guest healthy
11 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

More or less likely,  but not necessarily so.  

Look at our fellow living species:  most animals eat always the same:  cows eat grass, fish eat fish every day :lol:,  giraffes eat tree leaves,  moths eat holes, in wool :(, ...  And this living creature, me,  I eat every day oats, lentils,  avocados, seeds, nuts, bread...and I'm healthy  :)

And by the way, more and more cans are made free of BPA,  and some food is healthier in cans or frozen than fresh.  Canned tomatoes have more lycopene  (an antioxidant) than fresh ones.  Frozen blueberries and other berries are healthier without the additives that keep the fresh ones fresh.  And so are other foods.  

Can't generalise Steve. It is too simplistic what you are writing.

If the tomatoes are from China, got plenty of pesticide. Even the "tomato" manufacturers in US, who produce the cans and sauces use a pre-mix with ingredients from Chinese tomatoes. They don't even need to specify whether the tomatoes are from China...

China is top no 1 for tomato production.

The worst even some Italian brands mix their food products with pre-mix from China and still label it "Italian".

The problem is: Who can you trust?

The American Can Association wrote in 2018: 90 % of all cans (manufacutred in US) are now without BPA.

The European union just had a research and findings were: Even big US brands (Del Monte, Campbell etc) still using it and some replacements are still dangerous to health. 

03/20/2019 The scary truth about BPA-free cans revealed

Though many food companies have voluntarily agreed to go BPA-free, according to a recent study,  many major food companies are still coating their metal food cans with BPA.

BPA-free cans, not necessarily a safer option

For their study, the researchers analyzed nearly 200 cans from food giants such as Campbell Soup Company, Del Monte, General Mills, Annie’s Homegrown, and Eden Foods. The authors of the study reported that two out of three cans still had BPA in their lining. From all the brands tested, Campbell ranked worst.

Aside from BPA, acrylic resins, oleoresin, polyester resins, and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) copolymers were identified during the testing. The researchers found that 18 percent of retailers’ private-label food and 36 percent of national brands were coated with a PVC-based copolymer. PVC is far from a safe BPA alternative. It is a known human carcinogen made from dangerous chemicals such as vinyl chloride.

Your frozen berry items could have origins in China too. China is a big seller of agricultural ingredients such as fruit base and extracts...

Agrana's new fruit preparation plant is located in the city of Changzhou, around 150 kilometers northwest of Shanghai. Agrana has invested 22 million euros in the plant, which currently employs 70 people. According to the company, around 30,000 tons of fruit preparations are produced annually in the new facility, primarily with strawberries, blueberries or peaches for the fruit yoghurt, baked goods and ice cream industries.

Enjoy!

The European Union has released a report 70% of fruit extracts originate from China. And these extracts are used in many things, juices, juice based foods and beverages.

Quite some famous manufacturers in Europe switched to other countries for not losing on brand name, but are the manufacturers in Chile, Argentina or Peru better, safer???

Coming back: Who to trust anything in the food industry?

Eventually your own organic garden, but if you don't use any pesticides or fertilisers... and even the overuse of natural fertilisers could be dangerous.

By the way only some fish eat other fish, most actually live from algae.

36 minutes ago, Guest healthy said:

Can't generalise Steve. It is too simplistic what you are writing.

I am the first to agree with you that one can't generalize.  I was simply replying to @fab's statement "Eating anything everyday is likely to be unhealthy."  And he didn't generalize too much either because he wrote "is likely to be".

The TS in this thread poses a question that we cannot answer.  If we want to be sure and only eat healthy, we may have to stop eating.

But frozen produce poses minimum risk.  The process of freezing is fine. My frozen blueberries have only one ingredient: blueberries.  And I see on the package "Product of USA".  However, any information like that can be wrong.

Some experts state that we can last for 120 years under perfect conditions.  But most we may not reach even 100 years of age. Something not perfect in our environment?

Yes I am v safety conscious.

I like to protect my ass.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest healthy
34 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I am the first to agree with you that one can't generalize.  I was simply replying to @fab's statement "Eating anything everyday is likely to be unhealthy."  And he didn't generalize too much either because he wrote "is likely to be".

The TS in this thread poses a question that we cannot answer.  If we want to be sure and only eat healthy, we may have to stop eating.

But frozen produce poses minimum risk.  The process of freezing is fine. My frozen blueberries have only one ingredient: blueberries.  And I see on the package "Product of USA".  However, any information like that can be wrong.

Some experts state that we can last for 120 years under perfect conditions.  But most we may not reach even 100 years of age. Something not perfect in our environment?

Fab's post are always quite minimalist...

You won't reach 120y if you continue with your daily anger towards Donald, the best ever President of the US.

Long life depends not just on healthy food....  ha ha

42 minutes ago, Guest healthy said:

Fab's post are always quite minimalist...

Good?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest WRONG!!
1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

But most we may not reach even 100 years of age. Something not perfect in our environment?

Wrong!!! Longevity has nothing to do with Envrionment, it has to do with complicated cells.  Human has the most complicated cells, thus there is a timer in their DNA to stop them from becoming immortal and too smart. It is the nature thing.  On the other hand, the simpler the living cells, the longer it will survive the time, such as TREE and PLANTS.

Guest healthy
6 hours ago, Guest WRONG!! said:

Wrong!!! Longevity has nothing to do with Envrionment, it has to do with complicated cells.  Human has the most complicated cells, thus there is a timer in their DNA to stop them from becoming immortal and too smart. It is the nature thing.  On the other hand, the simpler the living cells, the longer it will survive the time, such as TREE and PLANTS.

Do you really think you are right?

Those guys living and daily working in the thick smogs from India or some dusty mines in Peru will have a longer life?

7 hours ago, fab said:

Good?

Neutral.

7 hours ago, Guest WRONG!! said:

Well, maybe you are a scientist that has discovered the real mechanism of aging.  But today, the consensus is that it is dependent on the telomere at the end of the DNA strands in our cells.  Much is being written about preserving the length of the telomeres and therefore extending the reproductive capacity of our cells, and the remedies are mostly environmental.   One I like and put my faith in is described in this article:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/05/170510115211.htm

"High levels of exercise linked to nine years of less aging at the cellular level"

So, let's keep our ass moving! :)

• 4 years later...

Whether it's canned tuna or fresh fish slices, or steamed prawns, everything should be eaten in moderation. Heck, even if its healthy physically everyday, it surely isn't very healthy mentally. Balance is key. If given the choice for picking a protein source, I'd go for chicken and beef more frequently than tuna. However, I assume you intend to have it everyday for convenience sake.

I do incorporate Tuna is part of my diet as I know Tuna is high in protein. But i don't suggest to use canned food.

If you can cook,

here are steps: actually to make Tuna meat is pretty simple.

First of all, you ask the fish seller to cut the tuna into fillet style and they usually help you debone.

Then you just steam it for 10 min ( you may put some lime leaves on top of the fish fillet to remove fishy smell)

let it cool down a bit

then remove the skin and check any extra bones.. if yes... remove it too.

then use clean clothes squeeze out extra water of the tuna.

then you have tuna meat....

if you want to have extra dried tuna meat.. toss in pan without any oil

if you steam a lot.. just freeze it...

next time.. when you want to use it..

just thaw it and squeeze extra water out..

I want to modify my statements of 4 years ago, since I have learned much in the meantime.

I would stay away from tuna since it has high levels of mercury.  Same with other large fish.  Instead, the smaller fish are closer to the primary food sources and can be less contaminated.  My choice today are the SARDINES,  and here in the US I find a good source in the King Oscar wild caught sardines in extra virgin olive oil, of which I eat half a can every day.   The value in the sardines is in the abundant omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins B and minerals. 

But these sardines are known to have high levels of purines which lead to uric acid.  I am now taking the supplement quercetin, a flavonoid which lowers uric acid, and with such I believe that the sardines are safe.   I don't mind that they are canned.  It is hard for me to go out in the sea and fish them myself.  :lol:

Guest Guest
32 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I want to modify my statements of 4 years ago, since I have learned much in the meantime.

I would stay away from tuna since it has high levels of mercury.  Same with other large fish.  Instead, the smaller fish are closer to the primary food sources and can be less contaminated.  My choice today are the SARDINES,  and here in the US I find a good source in the King Oscar wild caught sardines in extra virgin olive oil, of which I eat half a can every day.   The value in the sardines is in the abundant omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins B and minerals. 

But these sardines are known to have high levels of purines which lead to uric acid.  I am now taking the supplement quercetin, a flavonoid which lowers uric acid, and with such I believe that the sardines are safe.   I don't mind that they are canned.  It is hard for me to go out in the sea and fish them myself.  :lol:

Can eat canned sardine? Healthy?

2 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Can eat canned sardine? Healthy?

Yes, canned sardines are a healthier choice than other fish, given the levels of contamination of other fish in today's seas and in their processing like farmed fish which should be avoided. 

Guest Guest
18 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Yes, canned sardines are a healthier choice than other fish, given the levels of contamination of other fish in today's seas and in their processing like farmed fish which should be avoided. 

I like to buy salmon to cook, looks like i should reduce eating salmon?

Canned sardine is healthier choice? But afterall it is still canned food which people always advise don't eat or eat too much. So who is right?

9 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I like to buy salmon to cook, looks like i should reduce eating salmon?

Canned sardine is healthier choice? But afterall it is still canned food which people always advise don't eat or eat too much. So who is right?

I have never found fresh sardines in the food stores.  But there is a brand "Polar" that packs the sardines in glass jars.  This avoids the canning. 

However, the recent proponents of preventive medicine praise sardines,  while not warning against canned sardines.  Which makes me estimate that the health benefits of sardines outweigh any risks of the canning,  which today is BPA free.   If in doubt,  eating them in moderation will reduce their "risk".

About salmon, there is a huge demand of salmon world wide.  Farmed salmon should be avoided, where dye may be added to make them look more pink.  "Wild caught salmon" should be the choice, if it is processed well ( in China?? ) and one can trust the "wild caught",  but this may not address any contamination of the wild salmon itself. 

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Guest
5 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I have never found fresh sardines in the food stores.  But there is a brand "Polar" that packs the sardines in glass jars.  This avoids the canning. 

However, the recent proponents of preventive medicine praise sardines,  while not warning against canned sardines.  Which makes me estimate that the health benefits of sardines far outweigh any risks of the canning,  which today is BPA free.   If in doubt,  eating them in moderation will reduce their "risk", ...  and their benefits.

Maybe i will eat canned sardine 2 days per week, salmon fish 2 days per week and chicken/pork for other days. This should be ok. Rather than eating the same meat almost everyday.

4 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Maybe i will eat canned sardine 2 days per week, salmon fish 2 days per week and chicken/pork for other days. This should be ok. Rather than eating the same meat almost everyday.

This seems reasonable.  A good amount of animal protein.  You can also leave some days to eat good vegetal protein instead.  I suggest cooked lentils, plus dark green, cruciferous vegetables.

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Guest
9 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

This seems reasonable.  A good amount of animal protein.  You can also leave some days to eat good vegetal protein instead.  I suggest cooked lentils, plus dark green, cruciferous vegetables.

Think those veggies with high protein, i only eat often is broccoli.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.