Male HQ

Home Cooked Curry Vegetables

Baloo

over the weekend, bought a cabbage... that white type used in sayo lodeh... 2 brinjals, 3 tomatoes, pack of fried tou pok, red and green peppers (big chilli) and some packet coconut cream and a packet of instant curry vegetable mix.

fried the curry mix with 3 tablespoons of cooking oil and one chopped red onion... till fragrant... and added 600 ml of water very slowly to effectively 'blend in the curry/onion mix with the water...

already washed, chopped to nice bit sized brinjal added in, and half the cabbage... whole thing will be too much... for one packet curry mix, 5 red peppers and 5 green peppers, slit open and de-seeded... and 6 pcs of the fried tou pok... quartered.

used a big pot for this, so all the veg could be submerged in the curry sauce to boil to cook and soften... after about 10 minutes, (covered, and medium-high fire) opened up and it was bubbling happily... stirred it around to mix it better...

at this stage was contemplating whether to add fishballs or meat into the curry... na... 100% vegetables... this round...

poured out the santan, and added a little bit more water to make 300 ml... recommended 250ml santan... and stirred to make the santan a little thinner and easier to spread... poured it in slowly around the pot... stirring as it mix. the colour came out nicely, not too pale a curry...

added in the tomatoes, each cut into 8 pcs... wow... like a lot hor... slowly stir into the now slowly burbling curry... and cover a while...

slow the fire... or off it when you see the curry happily but slowly boiling all over... (not just the sides)

The curry can now be served... best over steamed white rice... absolutely fantastic... you can also add some salt to taste if you find it a tad too plain tasting... But my personal philosophy... dun add salt ... (the packet of instant curry mix already salty enough for me) you can add two to three spoons of sugar to the whole curry tho... sometimes it does wonders... haha...

yummy... the curry... made this way is a HUGE pot hor... one person can eat 3-5 days if you boil it after scooping and eating, and cover to leave it covered after boiling. DO NOT stir after you off the fire during reboil. the curry will keep a few days unrefridgerated... but of course best if you can boil it, let it cool, and refridgerate it. I do that when the volume is small enough to fit my corning ware large container hahaha... next round can just fire-heat the corning ware... wonderful piece... and have curry all over again!

Eat until jelat hahahaha... but not me... can eat 3 days straight curry... wif rice... is that why i'm chubby? :)

haha... adding it to just plain white rice is already a version of 'longtong' haha... just that i dun have roasted coconut shavings and sambal chili and hard boiled egg to finish the longtong receipe... but enough leow... very shiok already haha...

nothing brilliant about my cooking ... just sharing in this folder... many many better ones out there. See whether they willing to share their recipes or not only...

in any case, curry chicken mix can be used. in fact, any instant mix can be used. you just get slightly different tasting end result - different spices in the overall package - but usable nevertheless...

just put whatever you want in as a substitute for the 'meat or vegetables' and follow the instructions. shud be no problem. watch the amount of santan tho... sometimes you need to thin it out a bit with water... hmmm... say 250 ml of santan... thin out with water to 300 ml... (yes I use a measuring cup)

stir the suntan with the water before slowing pouring into the curry, stirring well... then allow to simmer a few more minutes to a slow boil... and it's ready to be served...

Hi Baloo.. everytime I read your posting about food, I am so tempted to ask you to invite me to share your wonderful creation or your new discovery :)

For this veg curry, I am also tempted to try and make it myself... and I must admit I have never cooked in my life!

You mentioned instant curry veg mix packet... may I know is there a specific brand.. or which one would you recommend.. to give that extra kick in the curry... I don't mean hot or spicy (as I can't take too spicy curries).. but one that taste really nice? Where can I buy the packet?

Thanks much, Baloo once again! :)

hi lookingood,

thanks for the compliments. i am so flattered...

very rarely am i able to have guest(s) at my place for a meal... very rarely indeed...

but if you like, we can go grocery shopping someday, and I go someone's place to cook whatever, and eat there...

my place is not suitable ... unfortunately... else i will be having a cooking party every week...

haha..

curry pack... this can be found in NTUCs in the fresh food section (where they sell toufu, meats, etc in cut up, styrofoamed trays, etc... ) a few brands, they are all generally ok la...

personally i find A1 is the best tasting, but not sold at NTUC :) A1 sold more at neighbourhood shops.

So how? join me when i go marketing?? better PM me... else we got the gay parade at some shopping centre one of these days...

marketing and grocery shopping huh? :) i might consider, but about the only grocery shopping i ever do is to buy fruits, from cold storage hahahah sometimes i buy from sun & moon (or sun moon?). i leave it to my maid or my aunt to do the weekly marketing at tiong bahru market :)

ok, i will scout around for A1.. hmmm i hope to try to cook this veg curry... it will really, really shock one and all hahahah thanks for the recipe... i think it should be quite easy to follow. cheers, mate!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.