Male HQ

Remembering Old Times

Triple8

Wah 3-in-1 !! Seems like the hangouts r moving out of the more expensive tg pagar area.

Come to think abt it, i used to stay next to st gabriel sec school 15 yrs ago. Used to cruise at USSC But no such convenience then. No choice hv to do in cubicle or staircase.

Live A Life, Live it Well. Be Forgiving, All will be Well.

Wah 3-in-1 !! Seems like the hangouts r moving out of the more expensive tg pagar area.

Come to think abt it, i used to stay next to st gabriel sec school 15 yrs ago. Used to cruise at USSC But no such convenience then. No choice hv to do in cubicle or staircase.

Wahh, last time i use to stay there also.. i still go back sometimes, So u stay near the past Guang Yang Primary also la. USSC was my childhood playground. The owner of the barber (red panther) and some of the shop owners still there after 12 years.

Anyone recall Kok Wah Cinema, which was next to Guang Yang School? And there was Sin Min High School which was a few metres away from St Gabriel's.

Those were the innocent days.

yeh yeh !! Kok Hwa Cinema, when i was young my parents brought me there to watch movie, after that the cinema close down liao..

Guest -maturechn-

Yeah, me also often went to watch movies at Kok Wah cinema, the 2.15pm movie, at $2.50 per ticket..often go there after schooling at SGSS. wunder if any here also schooling there...

there is also the outpatient clinic located at the junction and there is another cinema too opp to USSC...a place where i went for my haircut by the Malay barbers who sometimes rub their pants over u as they cut your hair.....

oh good old times....

Anyone recall Kok Wah Cinema, which was next to Guang Yang School? And there was Sin Min High School which was a few metres away from St Gabriel's.

Those were the innocent days.

Haha, I remember going to Kok Wah(国华)cinema @ Yio Chu Kang Road, Paramount(百乐门) Cinema @ Serangoon Gardens, Mercury cinema @ Upper Serangoon Road (opp USSC) to see shows after school. I prefers to watch double-bill features at Paramount. 2 shows for the price of 1. I remember writing in my diary all the shows that I have watched for 1977; including double-bill, it came up to about 70+ shows.

Then there are the other cinemas like :-

Grand(大光), Pacific (太平洋) & State Cinemas of New World Amusement Park(新世界) @ Jalan Besar (Condo),

Gay World Amusement Park(快樂世界) @ Geylang Road, (demolished)

Singapura Cinema @ Changi Road

Hollywood(好萊塢) Cinema @ Tg Katong Road (Sheng Song Supermarket)

Great World Amusement Park (大世界) @ Zion Road (Now Shopping Mall)

Odean(奧迪安) & Jubilee(光華) Cinema @ North Bridge Road (Shop)

Odean Katong (加東) Cinema @ Mountbattan Road, (Now a Shopping Mall)

Roxy(乐斯) Cinema @ East Coast Road, (Now a Shopping Mall)

Majestic(大華) Cinema @ Eu Tong Sen Street, (Now a Shopping Mall)

Lido (麗都) Cinema @ Orchard Road (Rebuild to be Isetan Shaw),

Cathay(國泰) Cinema @ Orchard Road,

Capitol(首都) Cinema @ North Bridge Road (Conserved Historic Site)

Metropole (金華) Cinema @ Maxwell Road (now a church),

Rex(麗士)Cinema @ Mackenzie Road (now a night club),

Hoover(豪華) & Ruby (寶石) Cinema @ Balestier Road, (Shopping Mall with Cinema)

Golden(黄金) Cinema @ Beach Road,

Jurong Drive-in Cinema @ Jurong (Demolished)

Zenith Cinema @ Punggol Road (Demolished),

Kings Cinema (玄宫) @ Kim Tian Road (Demolished),

Savoy Cinema (can't remember where)

National Theatre @ Fort Canning Hill

Most of the cinema have since been demolished. Except for Cathay, Capitol, Ruby, Majestic, Prince & Jade.

Visit the following sites for more pics http://www.singas.co.uk/HTML/singapore_in_the__60s.html

I was surprise to find these old pics of cinemas on the internet. :)

Hope it brings back memories for some of you.

I used to patronise the Pacific Cinema in the New World Amusement Park, Farrer Park.

My neighbour used to receive free tickets and I always tag along (when I was under 12)!

Yes sometimes there may be only ten cinema goers but the show must go on...

Wow that was the golden years of Shaw Brothers.. Lin Dai, Ling Po, Li Qing, Lily Ho... so many...

I remembered how I used to dream of hugging Ti Lung (Wu Sung), Lin Yun (he was quite dashing then, at least that was the IN look).

When I was in Secondary School, my school was barely a hundred metres from Great World Amusement Park.

Many of you remember Grand and Canton. I remembered watching lots of Zheng Zhen and Alan Tang there.

That was also the place I had my first puppy-love date .... now my alma mater is in Bishan...

Anyone interested in watching the movies from the 60s.... we can organise one at my place....watch Ling Po and Le Di, the body beautiful Zhang Zong Wen as Pan Jin Lian...

what a joy..what a time...

Yeah, me also often went to watch movies at Kok Wah cinema, the 2.15pm movie, at $2.50 per ticket..often go there after schooling at SGSS. wunder if any here also schooling there...

there is also the outpatient clinic located at the junction and there is another cinema too opp to USSC...a place where i went for my haircut by the Malay barbers who sometimes rub their pants over u as they cut your hair.....

oh good old times....

Yes, I remember Kok Wah Cinema and also the cinema near to Serangoon Garden Circle. But cannot recall that cinema name. Hey! me from SGSS too... from 1974 - 1977. Which year u from?

Cheers

Guest Guest Rex

To Gachi Muchi,

Just to clarify that the cinema at Mackenzie Road was "Rex" theatre not "Ruby".

Does it ring a bell ?

Ruby theatre was situated at Balestier Road, up on a slope.

There used to be a very delicious dry curry Yong Tau Fu stall besides the cinema.

The stall was later relocated to Whampoa Hawker Centre, but then closed down after a while.

Any one knows where we can get such delectable starchy curry noodles now ?

Thanks Guest Rex for pointing out the mistake. I wasn't sure which is which as it was so long ago.

and

Newie the cinema at Serangoon Gardens was Paramount, where it is now a shopping mall and alffresco dining.

and

Abang, didn't know you are THAT old. Hahaha..Ling Po and Le Di sounds like my Parents' time. I think I remember most are Lin Qing Xia (林青霞), Qing Han (秦漢), Qing Xiang Ling (秦祥林) and all the Qiong Yao (瓊瑤) movies of the 70s.

Abang, didn't know you are THAT old. Hahaha..Ling Po and Le Di sounds like my Parents' time. I think I remember most are Lin Qing Xia (林青霞), Qing Han (秦漢), Qing Xiang Ling (秦祥林) and all the Qiong Yao (瓊瑤) movies of the 70s.

Yes I am 47 and looking much younger (wishful thinking!)

Thanks Guest Rex for pointing out the mistake. I wasn't sure which is which as it was so long ago.

and

Newie the cinema at Serangoon Gardens was Paramount, where it is now a shopping mall and alffresco dining.

And that cinema opposite USSC is called Mercury, not Starlight.

"Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok"

Haha, I remember going to Kok Wah(国华)cinema @ Yio Chu Kang, Paramount(百乐门) Cinema @ Serangoon Gardens, Starlight(星光) cinema @ Upper Serangoon Road (opp USSC) to see shows after school. I prefers to watch double-bill features at Paramount. 2 shows for the price of 1. I remember writing in my diary all the shows that I have watched for 1977; including double-bill, it came up to about 70+ shows.

And where the Kovan MRT station is and the road leading off it called Lowland Road, there was another cinema called Empire.

"Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok"

I am maturemedium from the east.. hehehe

So my childhood days of watching chinese sword fighting / Bruce Lee / James bond..in :

Roxy

Galaxy

Hollywood

Odeon Katong

Odeon Bras Basah

Sometime at Rex, capitol...

But I was very young then.. cant remember alot of it.. Gee! How times flies!!! sigh.. Now in my 40s

Don't worry, Be happy

Anyone interested in watching the movies from the 60s.... we can organise one at my place....watch Ling Po and Le Di, the body beautiful Zhang Zong Wen as Pan Jin Lian...

what a joy..what a time..

sure, I would like to watch too....so nostalgic. really like those wuxia pian with young cheng pei pei, wang yu...romantic ones with ching ping, lily ho....

not too keen on wangmei diao though. please organise and pm me, would loove to join. :)

Thank you fellow BW forummers and brothers/sisters,

Well quite a number have responded positively to my suggestion.. please pm me your favourite show(s) early and then we can decide to watch them together, probably next Saturday/Sunday..

OK those who are interested, I am looking at the weekend before Deepavali... please pm me as I need to prepare some snacks....

Edited by abang

• 3 years later...
Guest Yearly nostalgic movie day

Thank you fellow BW forummers and brothers/sisters,

Well quite a number have responded positively to my suggestion.. please pm me your favourite show(s) early and then we can decide to watch them together, probably next Saturday/Sunday..

OK those who are interested, I am looking at the weekend before Deepavali... please pm me as I need to prepare some snacks....

Maybe BW can organize one every year .....

Where did u dig up a 3 yr old post.

I happened to have copies of some very old Shaw Bro's Movies that was shown in Sg with cuts from local censor which created a stir back then when they were shown.

1. 爱奴新传 (Lust for love of a Chinese Courtesan)

http://data.yule.baidu.com/movie/%B0%AE%C5%AB%D0%C2%B4%AB

This show was the very early lesbian scene and love making scene between women and women and man and women.

2. 風流韻事 (Illicit Affairs)

http://baike.baidu.com/view/151311.htm

3. 打蛇 (Lost Souls) (Not Shown in Sg)

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%89%93%E8%9B%87_%28%E9%9B%BB%E5%BD%B1%29

This show includes male and female nudity and even a rape scene where a guy was raped.

http://blog.roodo.com/darkstar/archives/13292955.html

• Guest locked this topic