Male HQ

All about Chinese New Year (CNY) Discussion (compiled)

Guest Vengeance

Guest Get used to it

I'm quite used to the questions during CNYs....

FAQs.  Feel free to add to the list.

Below answers must come with appropriate body language and facial expression, in order to move on.

Applicable to most relatives, unless they are super bitchy.

Q. Not married? When married?

A. No fate. Still waiting (winsome smile and nod)

Q. Any gf?

A. Nothing serious (winsome smile and nod)

Q. Intro gf?

A. I'm ok. Finding dates not a prob. (fake laugh)

Q. Hurry up can? Not getting younger

A. Ya everyone's older, that's life. (shrug)

Q. Expectations don't be so high?

A. Not high. Anyone w two eyes will do (fake laugh)

Guest manifesto
On 2/16/2018 at 1:42 AM, Guest Vengeance said:

I have pretty toxic relatives and CNY is here unfortunately, last year during my sibling's wedding these supposed relatives asked me over their table only to be humiliated by them. They kept asking sensitive questions and while i tried my best to laugh it off, one would give this obviously pretentious loud laughter each time a member posts a question.

Anyone have similar experiences? After that dinner I told granny I will never show up for anyone from that side of family. Even funeral. And this CNY idk whether i should visit them, to give my granny face or to go there and give them each a piece of my mind.

Anyone have similar experiences? Whats the best course of action?

Just give these kaypos a heck-care, F-Off look lor. Whats so difficult ?

Guest Get used to it

unless they are super bitchy and gets on your nerves, then yeah.

but in most cases, they r harmless 

surely u can get through this with diplomacy once a year

22 minutes ago, Guest manifesto said:

11 hours ago, Guest manifesto said:

1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

Toxic and bitchy people are everywhere, not only comes from relatives. My office colleagues also very toxic and bitchy.

11 hours ago, Guest Get used to it said:

unless they are super bitchy and gets on your nerves, then yeah.

but in most cases, they r harmless 

surely u can get through this with diplomacy once a year

Become a virtuoso of deceit, and run circles around those pesky relatives, expose their scandals, then they will quietly fade into the background, find out what it is they are trying to hide, 

say something like , " I heard your ah boy got a rash after visiting _______, and your ah girl is missing her period,________.

then when the focus is on them , they will  quickly change topic and stop focussing on your singlehood.

It takes practice though.

The Marquise de Mertueil played brilliantly by GLENN CLOSE.

I just ignore and collect ang pao nia.. Lolz.. 

Never say no to free money. 

Silence is golden.. And di gong is the best.. 

Just keep going orh, take ang pao liaoz and dig finger into the food... Sheeshh who cares what they say.

3 minutes ago, Guest Ener said:

I just ignore and collect ang pao nia.. Lolz.. 

Never say no to free money. 

Silence is golden.. And di gong is the best.. 

Just keep going orh, take ang pao liaoz and dig finger into the food... Sheeshh who cares what they say.

You will eventually back yourself into a wall, de gong will work one or 2 times only, third time your mum will tell u you are not invited.

Guest anti mosquito detergent
5 minutes ago, Guest CNYNotes said:

Which bank have new notes. DBS all seems to be out. Even book online, only limited branches left.

You need to get new notes for what? Not as though you are going to 派红包 mah... or are you? I want hor

• HendryTan changed the title to CNY New Notes

I used be relatively annoyed by such questions from my dad side of the family as I find it very kaypoh. However, as I get older, I realised that while it is none of their business, they really have nothing else to talk about. Especially with the older generation who had received less education, when you think about it, you cannot really have a conversation about the Chinese-US trade war, or a conversation on the trend with AI, or discuss if all the plays were really written by Shakespeare... or say which is your favourite BTS member. Their education, and experiences in life limit them to where their mentality is, and you cannot really fault them for asking mainly questions that are personal in nature, since they were probably the same questions by their older relatives had asked them when they were young. 

You can go all passive aggressive, or think the worst of them for asking those questions. At the end, where or what is the harm really? Sure they can gossip behind your back, and say all kinds of negative things about you. However, if you let what they say affect you, then you have let them have power over you. Just remember, you are better than they are. You are more fortunate than they are. You have better education than they did, and you have a life ahead of you. Be nice. Be polite. Just enjoy the company as tolerable as you can. There is no need to be rude. Your family is your family. Immediate or extended. 

Love. 

Just need to get through this once a year, and most relatives are tolerable

You do get the oddball, super bitchy one whom I generally steer clear of it's way - focus on talking to other relatives or eating.

In any case, everyone knows it's the oddball in the family, so the rest will be equally cursory as well.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:12 PM, doncoin said:

I used be relatively annoyed by such questions from my dad side of the family as I find it very kaypoh. However, as I get older, I realised that while it is none of their business, they really have nothing else to talk about. Especially with the older generation who had received less education, when you think about it, you cannot really have a conversation about the Chinese-US trade war, or a conversation on the trend with AI, or discuss if all the plays were really written by Shakespeare... or say which is your favourite BTS member. Their education, and experiences in life limit them to where their mentality is, and you cannot really fault them for asking mainly questions that are personal in nature, since they were probably the same questions by their older relatives had asked them when they were young. 

You can go all passive aggressive, or think the worst of them for asking those questions. At the end, where or what is the harm really? Sure they can gossip behind your back, and say all kinds of negative things about you. However, if you let what they say affect you, then you have let them have power over you. Just remember, you are better than they are. You are more fortunate than they are. You have better education than they did, and you have a life ahead of you. Be nice. Be polite. Just enjoy the company as tolerable as you can. There is no need to be rude. Your family is your family. Immediate or extended. 

older and wiser in thought, good.

older also means white pubic hair start to show, lol.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Wear this
On 2/16/2018 at 1:42 AM, Guest Vengeance said:

I have pretty toxic relatives and CNY is here unfortunately, last year during my sibling's wedding these supposed relatives asked me over their table only to be humiliated by them. They kept asking sensitive questions and while i tried my best to laugh it off, one would give this obviously pretentious loud laughter each time a member posts a question.

Anyone have similar experiences? After that dinner I told granny I will never show up for anyone from that side of family. Even funeral. And this CNY idk whether i should visit them, to give my granny face or to go there and give them each a piece of my mind.

Anyone have similar experiences? Whats the best course of action?

Available in taobao 

BBTjCEO.img?h=832&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With some of the more common questions I just brush off, like chasing career, never meet right one etc.

I do have a line though, and if anyone says or asks something downright offensive to me, like “when I’m giving my parents a grandkid, all your cousin got baby liao”, I just give them with the most scathing look I learnt from my Sec two Lit teacher, like the offensive person is dog shit smear you find on the floor, the silence lasting ever so slightly longer than is confortable, then pointedly turn away and talk to someone else or walk away, all without a word in response.

People know when they aim to hurt or humiliate, and this kind of response will fucking embarrass them, cos you didn’t engage, and to them is like calling them out - the fact that you don’t say anything in reality makes it worse as they can’t take fake-offense in turn at nothing. They’ll also lose face in front of people at the same table, if said offensive person had dare say something like that in front of others.

Guest My success story
1 hour ago, Guest Merp said:

“when I’m giving my parents a grandkid, all your cousin got baby liao”, I just give them with the most scathing look I learnt from my Sec two Lit teacher, like the offensive person is dog shit smear you find on the floor, the silence lasting ever so slightly longer than is confortable, then pointedly turn away and talk to someone else or walk away, all without a word in response.

I did that.  My relative complained to my family when they left and for many years they didn't visit us again.

• 11 months later...

Went to sheng siong just now. Got the cny festive mood already. This year dont have chinatown cny bazaar. But then every year also same same- multiple same peanut stalls. Peanuts shell all over the floor. 

I ever went there I think in the wee hours when they are closing. Cant help to oogle those shirtless man. 

Singapore so small. Now every satellite town is equally festive as the old china town .  My town got street festive lights and couple of supermarts and many groceries shops selling cny goodness. No need to go Chinatown. 

So many 老uncles in this forum? Most of the younger new gen gays don't even celebrate CNY anymore, its just another normal holiday long weekend for us to host sex parties with hunks.

• 1 month later...

just remember the rules:

1. Per Person cannot visit more than 2 households per day

2. Hands to be sanitized at all times

3. face masks to be worn at all times when visiting

4. When doing Lo-Hei, no shouting of HUAT AH! & face mask have to be on at all times!!

5. per household, you can only accept up to 8 guests per day. no Karoke allowed.

6. Govt have hired young nsfs to put on the red shirts and pay the guys extra cash for OT to do spot checks at HDB estates. so be smart, don't break the law.

7. make sure u wash ur hands & sanitized ur hands before exxchanging red packets and mandarin oranges

8. u wanna eat out with ur relatives / friends ; 7 persons per table max & no inter-mingling.

9. tables must be at a minimum of 1 metre apart; maximum distance 1.5m. 

10. those caught breaking the law.. on the spot is S$600.00 - S$1000 fine. so dun be stupid. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/acute-respiratory-disease

What is acute respiratory infection?

Acute respiratory infection is an infection that may interfere with normal breathing. It can affect just your upper respiratory system, which starts at your sinuses and ends at your vocal chords, or just your lower respiratory system, which starts at your vocal chords and ends at your lungs.

This infection is particularly dangerous for children, older adults, and people with immune system disorders.

What are the symptoms of acute respiratory infection?

The symptoms you experience will be different if it’s a lower or upper respiratory infection.

Symptoms can include:

congestion, either in the nasal sinuses or lungs

runny nose

cough

sore throat

body aches

fatigue

Call your doctor if you experience:

a fever over 103˚F (39˚C) and chills

difficulty breathing

dizziness

loss of consciousness

IF YOU DON'T FEEL WELL.. STAY AT HOME!!! FACE MASK ON & LOCK YOURSELF IN UR BEDROOM AND CALL 995!!!

1 hour ago, single42 said:

10. those caught breaking the law.. on the spot is S$600.00 - S$1000 fine. so dun be stupid. 

You don't suka suka give wrong information and make people lose money to conman during the CNY period! 

https://www.nea.gov.sg/our-services/public-cleanliness/environmental-cleaning-guidelines/phase-three-measures/frequently-asked-questions

Do NEA’s Safe Distancing Enforcement Officers (EOs) collect fines on the spot for offences?

NEA’s EOs do not collect fines or demand payment of fines on the spot. Offenders will be issued notices either on site, or through the mail. Members of the public are cautioned against handing over cash to persons who claim to be EOs.

Guest Wrong Info Guest
2 hours ago, single42 said:

just remember the rules:

1. Per Person cannot visit more than 2 households per day

2. Hands to be sanitized at all times

3. face masks to be worn at all times when visiting

4. When doing Lo-Hei, no shouting of HUAT AH! & face mask have to be on at all times!!

5. per household, you can only accept up to 8 guests per day. no Karoke allowed.

6. Govt have hired young nsfs to put on the red shirts and pay the guys extra cash for OT to do spot checks at HDB estates. so be smart, don't break the law.

7. make sure u wash ur hands & sanitized ur hands before exxchanging red packets and mandarin oranges

8. u wanna eat out with ur relatives / friends ; 7 persons per table max & no inter-mingling.

9. tables must be at a minimum of 1 metre apart; maximum distance 1.5m. 

don't anyhow spread false info la

4. only applies when doing Lo Hei outside in public like restaurants

5. Karaoke not allowed at home info come from where?????

6. source?

8. Max 8 per table la not 7 

10. on the spot your head la u think what extortion ah

• 11 months later...

i visited Chinatown on Monday afternoon, the festive mood was just not there.  There was no many make-shift stall selling goodies nor festive items.  The streets were quite empty.   On the other hand,  Chong Pang Yishun has projected a lively CNY mood, so many stalls and huge crowds.  Thing are cheap too. 

On 1/12/2022 at 6:46 PM, Guest A walk said:

i visited Chinatown on Monday afternoon, the festive mood was just not there.  There was no many make-shift stall selling goodies nor festive items.  The streets were quite empty.   On the other hand,  Chong Pang Yishun has projected a lively CNY mood, so many stalls and huge crowds.  Thing are cheap too. 

there's no CNY bazaar this year due to Covid - already 2nd time.

On 1/12/2022 at 6:46 PM, Guest A walk said:

Many fit army guys frequent Chong Pang. You must have enjoyed your shopping walk lol

• G_M changed the title to All about Chinese New Year (CNY) Discussion (compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.