Male HQ

What would you wanna read in a local gay novel?

Boy meets boy during NS. One thinks the other quite tau/atas. The other thinks he is too beng. Some stupid misunderstanding between the 2 causing friction whenever they meet. But same platoon. So bo bian. 

Long story short, by the time, they close to ORD or ROD or whatever the term is nowadays, they realised that they are attracted to each other. One was too proud to admit it. The other, prejudiced by early interactions. You now see where I am going. :)

Just follow the plot structure of Pride and Prejudice, and you've got yourself a bestseller. 

Love. 

Maybe can write a parallel story-within-a-story that reflects the changing attitudes towards gay lives and provide an opposite foil against the main protagonist with the sad tale about a guy who was having relationship with son of the top official in Singapore kena threatened by the father to leave overseas and never to come back. 

The son rose to replace the father as the top official of the land and went about jailing and torturing viciously anybody who dare to reveal his pinkish past.

The son also took a wife who is a butch and a spendthrift who is coming close to squandering all the family fortunes as of this writing.

The pink son yearns for his past lover...

Graphic novel style with illustrations would be fabulous!

Edited by dsd

On 5/26/2022 at 11:34 PM, sentaiboy said:

Tryna write my first book… either deeply rooted in realism or contains some fantasy aspects. Ideas appreciated

write what you know or what you want to know.

Tbh, if you were halfway serious, you wouldn’t be asking random strangers for ideas - you need to look inside yourself. 

if you have ideas you want people to comment on, then share them, 

Guest ffffffff

Peculiar Chris by Johann s lee. Printed in the 1990s.

Thought it was very good local gay novel.

Library may still have copies.

Actually this reminds me, while technically not a local, i.e. Singaporean, novel, one of the protagonist is. 

For some strange reason, the book is only available as an audio book, which i did listen to it as it came free with my Audible account. Like I have mentioned earlier, the plot is totally P&P. Cute and charming nonetheless. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088X6WKP4/ref=x_gr_w_bb_sout?ie=UTF8&tag=x_gr_w_bb_sout-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B088X6WKP4&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2

Love. 

Guest normal life is boring

i think a story about singapore where gay is normalized is a better read/imaginative.

who wants to read about real-life-gay-tragic-opressed-novel.... we are already living it...

Really appreciate all your replies... so I did some writing over the past few days... LMK what you think? 

I

Oliver laid on the floor. It was 4pm and the tiles often felt cooler than the humid air in his apartment on the 17th floor; the concrete walls having absorbed the heat of the relentless sun all afternoon. He counted his breaths as his psychologist had taught him. This was one of the ways he coped with his panic attacks.

A typical millennial hooked on his phone, he picked up his iPhone 8 and flicked on Grindr. Nothing like the dating app to provide some adrenaline rush when things got dark. On the app, he was greeted with a slew of chests arranged in neat little grids, with the occasional person in front of the Eiffel Tower. A couple of notifications came in, but none he cared for except one from a picture of a pug — at least the pug was cute. 

After exchanging the typical pleasantries, “Hi, how are you? What’re you seeking” usually in terrible English, Oliver managed to get to the bottom of who the pug was, a 23-year-old accountant living just 900m away from him. Without revealing his name, the pug had sent a picture of himself at brunch, hair neatly parted down the center. His smile revealed a row of perfect teeth, one of Oliver’s biggest turn ons. The pug’s build was slim but he got bonus points for being dressed neatly in a grey pressed shirt. 

“Wanna meet?” the pug asked.

“Okay.” Oliver replied. 

Oliver knew there was nothing better to take his mind off his anxiety than meeting a guy for a hookup or whatever was going to happen. Besides, the pug turned out to be more attractive than he had expected. They exchanged details of their meet, set for later that evening at a nearby park. This wasn’t New York City or Paris and it was perfectly normal to hang out at the park after sundown, without the fear of getting mugged. 

Spurred on by the spontaneous date, Oliver hopped into the shower. His room was a mess perfectly mirroring his mental state, but he was determined to put his best foot forward for the meetup. He was, after all, a vainpot who cared about how the world viewed him more than anything. One of his anxiety-coping strategies was shopping, as if donning a new outfit made him more acceptable or attractive, as evidenced by the fast-fashion clothes that littered his floor. 

After blow-drying his hair, he dug through his closet for his favorite pair of red briefs, a Uniqlo +J slim women’s black belt, and a pair of ripped jeans that he had torn up himself. He tossed on a grey oversized T-shirt to hide his skinny frame and slapped on a silver watch because he was obsessed with being on time. 

In fact, he reached the park early, about fifteen minutes to be exact. This was another coping strategy to calm his nerves before a first date. Sure, everybody gets cold feet before meeting a stranger, but coupled with anxiety disorder, Oliver needed to control as many things in his environment, so a crippling panic attack doesn’t lurk in the background. Being early helped him to practice mindfulness, take in the surroundings and mentally feel ready before meeting a stranger. 

Oliver found an empty seat on a bench right under a knoll — if you can call it that — a mini undulation in an otherwise flat but spacious park that offers a brief natural-ish respite in a crowded urban landscape. The birds sang their last song for the day before the sky burned up in an orange hue from the city’s smog. The trees shook gently in the evening breeze as a bead of sweat rolled down Oliver’s neck. The weather had cooled down from the sweltering afternoon sun, but in Singapore, it’s the humidity that gets to you.

Feeling his stomach churn from nervousness, Oliver closed his eyes. Eliminating any sort of stimulus brought him to a place of solitude where at least, he felt like he was well in control. This was how he had been dealing with the many issues spiralling out of control in his life. In the darkness and visual silence, he could disappear and fade from his everyday burdens. As he receded into a dream-like state, he was jolted back into reality by a ping from his phone. 

“I’m reaching. A little early,” the pug texted.     

II

There’s something about modern day life that has been irreversibly altered by technology. More accurately, since smartphones were invented and became ubiquitous, the phone has become a funnel for our anxieties, pleasures and our entire world really. As his main source of anxiety, Olive took a deep breath before picking up the phone and replied with his location and a description of his outfit. 

“I’m in a red cap and khaki shorts,” the pug replied. 

Oliver looked nervously at the joggers and bicycles that whizzed past him, and checked out some men in the process. From a distance, he spotted the silhouette of someone wearing a red cap and khaki shorts. It had to be him. More sweat trickled down Oliver’s jaw; it was a combination of nerves and humidity. He had to swat a few mosquitoes away while he reminded himself to take deep breaths to calm his rising heart rate.

“Hi.” The pug greeted Oliver coldly, wearing a pair of sunglasses. 

Being unable to see his eyes did not help Oliver’s nervousness. But Oliver invited the pug to sit next to him. “How’re you?”. 

“Good,” the pug replied. “How did you get here?”

The pug smelled of a generic manly scent, probably something along the lines of Abercrombie & Fitch: Fierce. Oliver assessed if he felt attracted to the pug, but nothing stirred within him besides his nerves. They engaged in quite a bit of small talk while commenting on the passersby and their dogs. The sun had finally set and the pug removed his Oakleys to reveal a pair of squinty eyes. 

“Finally,” Oliver sighed.

“What?” the pug reacted.

“Nothing.” While there was no instant chemistry or attraction, Oliver didn’t want to be alone for the rest of the night, so he suggested dinner at the nearby burger chain, Queen Burger. 

Queen Burger was nestled in the middle of the park, filled with noisy families and children chowing down on a Saturday night; it was hardly a romantic spot. But Singaporean men aren’t known for their romantic ways, especially amongst the gays, it was usually a quick and dirty encounter they were looking for. But was Oliver looking for just a hookup? 

“What’s your name?” Oliver asked nervously as if getting the pug to reveal his name was tearing at his privacy, three hours into their date. 

“Uhhhh, I’m Elton, you?” Elton, previously known as the pug, replied. 

“Oliver.”

It was as if the invisible wall between them had come down, amidst stuffing their mouths with fries and soda. Of course, there was no way Oliver could know if Elton was the pug’s real name. Many gay men choose to go with a false moniker due to the rampant discrimination where they lived, to the point where Tinder would ask users in their location if they wanted their profiles to be displayed as a precaution to protect its users. 

Whether he was known as ‘the pug’ or Elton, Oliver was suddenly smitten. Perhaps it was the sugar rush from the soda, his anxiety causing him to feel a surge of clinginess, or knowing Elton’s name somehow tore down Oliver’s walls, but he started looking at Elton through a different lens. 

As they finished their burgers, Oliver wondered if he should stem his lust to prolong this feeling of amiability which might or might not blossom into a relationship. From his experience, trysts often end the chance of romance; a theory that seems true in his head but has yet to be proven. 

“Where should we go next?” Elton asked while sipping on his soda and creating the brrrr sound that signalled the drink was on its last drops. 

III

Oliver tasted the burger meal through Elton’s lips once more, onions and all. They managed to find a quiet spot slightly away from the park to make out. Oliver had caved in, his desire to prolong pleasure for a possible long-term romance dissipated with the last traces of daylight. Under the streetlamp, the two young men held each other in a tight embrace as blood rushed towards their groins. 

It was rare to find a so-called romantic spot in the populous city, you either had to deal with a dumpster in the background, or endless pairs of eyes glaring at your blatant homosexuality on display. Passersby would probably not call the cops though, they just wanted to stare.

Oliver groped at Elton’s long-sleeve T-shirt while he nestled his face in Elton’s nearly flat chest. They had been making out for 45 minutes but it felt like five, oblivious to the crows that gathered above their heads. The feelings of lust peaked and waned like breakers upon a pier. Oliver’s heart rate was pounding from this unexpected rendezvous and then he took two steps away from Elton. 

“What’s wrong?” Elton asked.

“Nothing,” Oliver replied. “But this is getting a little intense.”

“Let’s take a little break shall we?” Elton said, despite his loins having other ideas. 

The young men picked up their bags and walked towards a more populated area. The air was now several degrees cooler

@sentaiboy, congrats!!!

Very well written and a well thought plot, thus far.  You are good at describing and capturing details and they make reading enjoyable.  I love at your inventive skill that is satisfying and fitting.

Make your story 'real' as it connects with readers.  Create Oliver.  Expand your plot and stay real with all developing events.  It is good to be coherent as you do that.

BTW, do you want to start a new thread here in the Main Forum to highlight your so-called novel?

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

On 5/26/2022 at 11:34 PM, sentaiboy said:

Tryna write my first book… either deeply rooted in realism or contains some fantasy aspects. Ideas appreciated

A good book is when it is written from the heart.  From there, you just have to be creative to make a story real.

You have shown to possess good writing skill.  What's next is for you to entertain your audience.  Emotional writing usually draws attention but you have to keep it real.

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

Guest Fatty
On 5/27/2022 at 11:19 AM, dsd said:

Maybe can write a parallel story-within-a-story that reflects the changing attitudes towards gay lives and provide an opposite foil against the main protagonist with the sad tale about a guy who was having relationship with son of the top official in Singapore kena threatened by the father to leave overseas and never to come back. 

The son rose to replace the father as the top official of the land and went about jailing and torturing viciously anybody who dare to reveal his pinkish past.

The son also took a wife who is a butch and a spendthrift who is coming close to squandering all the family fortunes as of this writing.

Don’t forget to mention the son’s talent in catwalk 

On 5/28/2022 at 9:37 PM, sentaiboy said:

thanks @IkuTube, btw I have a cavalier king charles spaniel hahaha

what do you mean to start a new thread? I thought this is on the main channel... no? Sorry, but I'm not very good at navigating forums

You can keep this thread to seek for opinions on what readers want to read in a local gay novel.  When members/guests are to provide the opinions, they become your story line to exploit it further.  I guess it is to challenge your creative mind to expand it into a plot.

Alternatively, you start another thread which is strictly about the story that you have just written here.  Should you feel comfortable sharing it on BW platform, give it a title and continue the story thereon.

Guest storyteller

Just copy of some of the straight novels and it should do just fine! Here are some examples:

1) It started with a fuck

- Deric has always been serial dating but never coming close to a serious relationship. One day he had a great fuck by a guy in the sauna and during the next working day, this guy turns out to be the new manager....

2) Guilty

- Tommy had a bad childhood due to his father losing investments overseas and committed suicide. He learns that the investment losses were largely because his father was swindled by his friend. One day Tommy sees Ryan, his dad's friend's son, pop up in CMB and decides that the son should be the one paying back...

3) You started it

- Ronald has always disliked the new colleague he had to work with, Tim and are often quarrelling. Both are often at each other necks until it becomes a HR problem and chore. Do they really hate each other, or is this something else?

On 5/28/2022 at 8:20 PM, IkuTube said:

A good book is when it is written from the heart.  From there, you just have to be creative to make a story real.

You have shown to possess good writing skill.  What's next is for you to entertain your audience.  Emotional writing usually draws attention but you have to keep it real.

I totally agree with @IkuTube. You have created believable characters and nicely fleshed them out. You also have a very good descriptive sense. We can feel the humidity in the apartment. We can hear the swish of the trees swaying in the breeze and see the bead of sweat on Oliver's neck. 

You obviously have the basis of a storyline planned out. You can veer from that occasionally, perhaps to go off on small tangents. For example, you could perhaps tell us a little more about those who might be watching your two lead characters. A bit more detail about what Oliver thought they might be thinking as they passed by and perhaps watched for a minute or two. That could allow for more background detail about the law in Singapore.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to let readers know the result of the meeting of the two guys. Keep up the suspense! As you finish each chapter or section, try to have a sentence that is something of a teaser for what will come in a later chapter. That keeps the reader wanting more. And as others have pointed out, bring your own experiences into the writing and write from the heart. It seems you do both. Good luck in your writing endeavours!

I agree with @IkuTube that a good gay novel should have some element of reality.  Also, the "gay" in it could be incidental, existential about relationship and feelings, and not just a crude description of raw sex.  For raw sex, I prefer the stories that are real,  especially when I am one of the protagonists.

One of my preferred gay novels is Oscar Wilde's "Portrait of Dorian Gray". 

On 5/30/2022 at 9:53 PM, Steve5380 said:

I agree with @IkuTube that a good gay novel should have some element of reality.  Also, the "gay" in it could be incidental, existential about relationship and feelings, and not just a crude description of raw sex.  For raw sex, I prefer the stories that are real,  especially when I am one of the protagonists.

One of my preferred gay novels is Oscar Wilde's "Portrait of Dorian Gray". 

So now you know! "a good gay novel should have some element of reality . . .  For raw sex, I prefer the stories that are real"  So splash into your novel some raw sex for @Steve5380 Whahahaha!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long and thank you for your ideas, here's a continuation:

The young men picked up their bags and walked towards a more populated area. The air was now several degrees cooler. The silence of the park gave way to the buzz of the city, the occasional honking interrupted Oliver and Elton’s waning conversation. As they reached a busy road junction, Oliver felt a slight sense of panic. “Oh there it is, creeping up on me again,” he thought. As his heart raced, he looked to Elton hoping to find a sense of comfort, but Elton seemed to be lost in his phone screen. A disappointed sigh left Oliver’s lips as he looked around, thinking about his next step.

Elton, sensing they were both directionless, peeked up from his phone to gaze at Oliver. A smile broke out to reveal Elton’s perfect set of teeth, which made Oliver feel a gush of warmth that melted the anxiety away.

“Drinks?” Elton blurted out, nervous for a plan. 

Oliver nodded, a little dumbfounded by Elton’s spontaneity. Elton grabbed Oliver’s hand and whisked him onto a public bus as if this was something he did every other night. Before they knew it, they were at the door of Hitch, a cosy, warmly lit bar in the city’s downtown district. 

IV

Upon opening the doors, Hitch was shielded by a pink partition as if it was holding a shameful secret. The cosy ambience inside immediately enveloped them, creating an enclave of intimacy and privacy that contrasted with the bustling city outside. Cheerful Top 40s pop music played in the background, and the dim lighting created an inviting atmosphere.

Oliver and Elton found a corner booth and settled in, the awkwardness from earlier dissipating with each passing moment, post-alcohol high. They ordered a pie of pizza to share and engaged in deeper conversation. Despite the distractions that came in the form of fit, chiselled men in singlets that passed by them to head to the toilet, the two discovered a few common interests.

Oliver was struck by Elton's wit, intelligence, and the way he opened up about his dreams and struggles. Elton, on the other hand, admired Oliver's vulnerability and how he spoke about his journey with anxiety and self-discovery. The initial physical attraction that brought them together was now complemented by an emotional connection that neither of them expected.

Time seemed to fly as they lost track of it in their animated discussions. They laughed, shared stories, and leaned in closer to each other and even shared a good number of kisses. As they continued their heartfelt conversation, Oliver's earlier anxiety and panic seemed to be distant memories.

When they finally left the bar, it was well past midnight. The city's streets were less crowded now, and the air had cooled further, carrying a gentle breeze that rustled the leaves on the trees. Oliver and Elton strolled along, feeling a sense of comfort in each other's company.

"I had a great time tonight," Elton admitted, breaking the silence between them. "I wasn't expecting this when we first met."

"Me neither," Oliver replied, smiling warmly. "I'm glad we took a chance and met up."

As they walked, their hands brushed against each other until they eventually entwined their fingers. The gesture felt natural and comforting. The night was still young, and they decided to extend their time together. They headed to a 24-hour café, where they shared dessert and more laughs. It felt like they were building something special, a bond that held promise.

In between scoops of peppermint ice cream, Elton turned to Oliver, his expression sincere. "You know, I don't usually do this—spend so much time with someone from Grindr. But there's something different about you, Oliver."

Oliver blushed, feeling a mix of excitement and vulnerability. "I feel the same way, Elton. It's like we clicked in a way I can't explain."

The night wore on, and it was time to say goodbye. Both men shared a cab and Oliver dropped off first as his apartment was en route to Elton’s home. With butterflies in his stomach of a date that went swimmingly well, Oliver crash into his bed without showering; it was way past his usual bedtime and Monday would beckon soon enough.

Before he knew it, his alarm was blaring and his clothes still smelled from the night before.

“Oh fuck,” Oliver muttered to himself as he stripped himself off yesterday’s clothes, still bleary-eyed as he only managed a measly 3 hours of sleep. He quickly threw on his usual Monday attire, a long-sleeved pink shirt paired with dark grey pants and brown dress shoes before heading off to work. 

Flashes of his wonderful night with Elton appeared in his mind as he navigated the crowded subway, mingling against other working citizens on their way to the Central Business District. He felt the strange mixture of newfound love bliss and the misery of a throbbing headache from a lack of sleep as he trudged along to work.    

The cold air conditioning of Oliver’s office greeted him as he arrived at his desk at 8.30am sharp. Yesterday felt like just a wonderful dream that evaporated too soon. He was back in his anxiety-riddled life and never-ending Excel sheets. Thankfully, he managed to buy some local coffee along the way, giving him the boost he needed to fight through his sleepiness.

An hour later, he felt the urge to drop Elton a text, but realised they had not exchanged contact information from the night before. He flicked on Grindr...

Edited by sentaiboy

IV

Upon opening the doors, Hitch was shielded by a pink partition as if it was holding a shameful secret. The cosy ambience inside immediately enveloped them, creating an enclave of intimacy and privacy that contrasted with the bustling city outside. Cheerful Top 40s pop music played in the background, and the dim lighting created an inviting atmosphere.

Oliver and Elton found a corner booth and settled in, the awkwardness from earlier dissipating with each passing moment, post-alcohol high. They ordered a pie of pizza to share and engaged in deeper conversation. Despite the distractions that came in the form of fit, chiselled men in singlets that passed by them to head to the toilet, the two discovered a few common interests.

Oliver was struck by Elton's wit, intelligence, and the way he opened up about his dreams and struggles. Elton, on the other hand, admired Oliver's vulnerability and how he spoke about his journey with anxiety and self-discovery. The initial physical attraction that brought them together was now complemented by an emotional connection that neither of them expected.

Time seemed to fly as they lost track of it in their animated discussions. They laughed, shared stories, and leaned in closer to each other and even shared a good number of kisses. As they continued their heartfelt conversation, Oliver's earlier anxiety and panic seemed to be distant memories.

When they finally left the bar, it was well past midnight. The city's streets were less crowded now, and the air had cooled further, carrying a gentle breeze that rustled the leaves on the trees. Oliver and Elton strolled along, feeling a sense of comfort in each other's company.

"I had a great time tonight," Elton admitted, breaking the silence between them. "I wasn't expecting this when we first met."

"Me neither," Oliver replied, smiling warmly. "I'm glad we took a chance and met up."

As they walked, their hands brushed against each other until they eventually entwined their fingers. The gesture felt natural and comforting. The night was still young, and they decided to extend their time together. They headed to a 24-hour café, where they shared dessert and more laughs. It felt like they were building something special, a bond that held promise.

In between scoops of peppermint ice cream, Elton turned to Oliver, his expression sincere. "You know, I don't usually do this—spend so much time with someone from Grindr. But there's something different about you, Oliver."

Oliver blushed, feeling a mix of excitement and vulnerability. "I feel the same way, Elton. It's like we clicked in a way I can't explain."

The night wore on, and it was time to say goodbye. Both men shared a cab and Oliver dropped off first as his apartment was en route to Elton’s home. With butterflies in his stomach of a date that went swimmingly well, Oliver crash into his bed without showering; it was way past his usual bedtime and Monday would beckon soon enough.

Before he knew it, his alarm was blaring and his clothes still smelled from the night before. “Oh fuck,” Oliver muttered to himself as he stripped himself off yesterday’s clothes, still bleary-eyed as he only managed a measly 3 hours of sleep. He quickly threw on his usual Monday attire, a long-sleeved pink shirt paired with dark grey pants and brown dress shoes before heading off to work. 

Flashes of his wonderful night with Elton appeared in his mind as he navigated the crowded subway, mingling against other working citizens on their way to the Central Business District. He felt the strange mixture of newfound love bliss and the misery of a throbbing headache from a lack of sleep as he trudged along to work.    

The cold air conditioning of Oliver’s office greeted him as he arrived at his desk at 8.30am sharp. Yesterday felt like just a wonderful dream that evaporated too soon. He was back in his anxiety-riddled life and never-ending Excel sheets. Thankfully, he managed to buy some local coffee along the way, giving him the boost he needed to fight through his sleepiness.

An hour later, he felt the urge to drop Elton a text, but realised they had not exchanged contact information from the night before. He flicked on Grindr, to realise he had gotten a number of pings from the night before, but he quickly scrolled down to find Elton’s familiar pug photo and texted him a good morning. 

Throughout the day, Oliver kept checking into the app, only to hear nothing back from Elton. Doubts started to swirl in his head and coupled by his Monday work pile, he started to feel a little sick. Burying himself in Excel sheets to distract from Elton’s no-replies, the clock quickly ticked all the way to 5pm. But it was a sweltering day and the sun was still beaming, working in an all-glass building meant the afternoon sun would be Oliver’s companion for a good hour and as usual, beads of sweat started to form on his temple. 

“Are you okay?” asked Chester, who was doing his usual rounds in the office. “You look kind of pale.”

“Uh, I’m fine,” Oliver muttered. “Just didn’t get enough sleep.”

“Where were you at?” Chester quizzed. 

“Just out with a friend.” 

“A friend?” Chester raised his eyebrows excitedly. Oliver was really not in the mood for small talk but Chester was quite high-ranking in his company and being rude would really affect his career progression. He replied, “Yeah, you know, just enjoying the weekend at a bar.”

“Which bar?” 

Does this guy not have boundaries? Oliver thought. He was not ready to come out at work so Oliver dropped the name of a straight bar, hoping to brush Chester off. Before Chester could interrogate him further, Mrs Li, Chester’s boss summoned him. “Chat later,” Chester quickly said before rushing into Mrs Li’s office with a bunch of files.

Phew, Oliver thought as he got back to his work. As the clock read 5:54pm, Oliver checked his Grindr once more, only to feel the stab of rejection. Did last night mean nothing to him? Some days Oliver can be buried deep in his work, but definitely not today. He quickly packed his things up into his briefcase and hit the lift button. He really wanted to get some sleep after the emotional turmoil he had been through. 

“Hold up.” A voice entered the crack of the lift door and Oliver instinctively hit the open button. Behold, it was Chester with his backpack and tight white polo shirt who cracked a smile, happy he could stick his nose further into Oliver’s affairs. Oliver wanted to roll his eyes but he knew he had to behave. So both men were stuck in the same lift that descended 25 storeys and the sound of breathing filled the enclosed space.

“Are you okay buddy?” Chester piped. 

“Yeah, as I said a little earlier, I’m just tired from the weekend.” Oliver replied. 

“You don’t look too good. Did you have fun though? Hungover I guess?”

“Yeah it was fun. I’m going home to crash,” Oliver replied despondently.

Chester said while frowning, “Oh man, I was just getting excited to find a drinking buddy.”

“Next time maybe,” Chester replied while faking a smile.

Oliver stepped out of the lift, relieved to be free of Chester's prying questions. He was desperate to get home and find some solace in the comfort of his own bed. The constant buzzing of his phone in his pocket reminded him of Elton, and it felt like a pang of disappointment with every ping that wasn't from him.

As he walked home, he tried to shake off the negative thoughts and focus on the good memories from the night before. He couldn't deny that he felt a connection with Elton, and he hoped that Elton felt the same way. Perhaps he was just busy with work or had other commitments, Oliver tried to rationalize.

When he finally reached his apartment, he dropped his briefcase to the floor and collapsed onto the couch. His mind kept replaying moments from their date, the laughter, the kisses, and the genuine connection they shared. Despite his fatigue, he couldn't resist the urge to keep checking his phone. Still no messages from Elton.

Feeling a mix of frustration and sadness, Oliver decided to distract himself. He pulled out his laptop and started binge-watching a new series about an American girl in Paris, on a streaming platform. Hours passed by, and he found himself engulfed in the show's plot, temporarily forgetting about Elton and his unanswered messages. He felt his eyelids get heavier, and before he knew it he had passed out on his own couch.

Oliver felt himself jerking as he awoke from a nightmare. The nightmare has haunted him since his teenage days where there was a creepy old man chasing him in the woods. In different iterations of the nightmare, Oliver would be caught in a swamp, or trip over rocks and even drown in a pond. This time, the old man had caught his ankle and as he tried to escape the grasp of the man, his body awoke in a frenzy. 

Squinting at the clock, Oliver knew it was 5am and once again, he did not shower the night before. He decided to go for a run. He tousled his hair, put on his PT kit and bright orange running shoes before heading downstairs. The 5am air was cool and the morning sounds of birds chirping filled Oliver with a sense of calm. Running was Oliver’s favourite way of destressing. As Oliver put one foot in front of another, he tried to sweep away thoughts of Elton from his mind, yet they kept creeping back. Before long, Oliver had reached the nearby reservoir, his favourite jogging place. 

Despite the early hours, there were quite a number of fitness buffs huffing and puffing from a strenuous morning workout. Some of them were wearing tights and Oliver enjoyed seeing their bulging muscles, a much needed distraction. If only I can be as fit as them one day, he thought. 

After about 3km, Oliver was drenched in sweat and he did his usual, which was to find a quiet spot near the reservoir to catch his breath. Indeed, the run had done its job and Oliver found himself enjoying a rare moment of bliss in his anxiety-ridden life, before having to head back to his corporate grind. As he was about to leave, he was stopped by a well-dressed lady with neatly coiffed hair, who definitely looked out of place at a reservoir park. 

“Excuse me sir,” she introduced herself as Jenny. “Do you run daily?”

“Yes,” Oliver replied quite puzzled at this encounter. 

“If there was a way to boost your stamina quickly, are you interested?”

Oliver was quite perplexed at the proposition and before he could reply, the lady handed him a card and said, “Contact us here. I won’t hold you back.”

Instinctively, Oliver took the card from her, it was silver-foiled, and gleamed in the morning sun. The letters XY were engraved and the company she represented must have been a well-to-do one. On the back of the card, there was only a phone number, with no other details. 

“Have you got a website or anything?” Oliver asked, but as he peered up from the card, the lady had disappeared without a trace.

V

Besides the strange encounter with the lady at the reservoir, Oliver’s week had been rather mundane. He buried himself at work trying to forget about whatever happened with Elton, but everything seemed to remind him of their torrid night. It was Friday afternoon and the sky was overcast. Oliver tried to fight the sleep-inducing grey sky by sneakily browsing his Instagram but quickly tossed his phone in the corner when Mrs Li walked by to speak to Chester. Then, the phone seemed to retaliate with a ping from Whatsapp, “Sorry can’t make it tonight.”

Oliver had scheduled to meet his army friend Chris for dinner and to pour his heart out. He was rather bummed for the last minute cancellation but that’s the reality of modern life, when communication has become too convenient. Anxiety creeped up on him for not really having a plan on a Friday night and Oliver began to fiddle with his things to soothe his anxiety, it was then he found the metallic silver card Jenny had given him earlier this week and it was almost like curiosity pushed him to call the number. As he gazed at the pastel rainbow colours that swirled on the card as it reflected the office lights, Oliver felt a strong slap to his back. 

It was Chester beaming from behind. “Hey buddy, feeling better?”

“Yes, thanks,” Oliver replied, a little stunned. Heaven knows why Chester began to act all chummy with him this week.  

“Cheer up, it’s Friday.” 

Oliver sat in silence, his mind distracted by unwanted thoughts. Chester asked, “How about we go for a drink? Did you already make plans?”

Before Oliver could reply, Chester pulled the name card out of his hands and asked, “What’s that?”

“Some lady gave it to me. Said she would improve my stamina.”

“What? That’s kinda weird. You know what? I’ve been working out recently. New hobby of mine. Should we do that instead?” 

Oliver shrugged, happy he didn’t have to spend Friday night alone. A few hours later, both men were in Chester’s car, as Amy Winehouse blared on the radio. 

Peak hour traffic was no fun, but within thirty minutes, they had reached Chester’s apartment complex. As it was casual Friday, both men were dressed in a T-shirt and jeans. The sun had just set and street lamps flickered to life. Oliver took a minute to admire Chester’s condominium as he stepped out of the car. As Chester was a few grades above him in the company, he never queried about Chester’s personal life much, and today he got a peek into Chester’s personal life. 

Chester’s apartment was dark despite having a big chandelier in the living room. His favourite colour must have been black, because that was the colour of the sofa, wardrobes and table tops. “You like black a lot huh?” Oliver said a little wary he was in a very private space. 

“Welcome to the batcave I guess,” Chester said, a smile breaking out on his face. “Let’s order some pizza.”       

After getting off the phone, Chester led Oliver to his balcony, which offered a view of the city skyline. The evening lights illuminated the surroundings, and the hum of the city below created a serene setting. As they sat on the balcony, Chester offered Oliver a drink. Oliver accepted a glass of red wine, and they clinked their glasses together, toasting to their newfound friendship and the start of the weekend.

"Cheers to the fucking weekend huh," Chester said, taking a sip of his wine. "And to unexpected encounters with mysterious ladies."

Oliver chuckled, recalling the strange encounter with Jenny at the reservoir. "Yeah, that was bizarre. I wonder what she meant by boosting stamina."

Chester shrugged. "Who knows? Maybe it's some fitness program she's promoting. People come up with all sorts of gimmicks these days."

The conversation flowed effortlessly between them, and Oliver found himself opening up more about his personal life than he had intended. However, he still held back details of his sexuality, changing the genders of all the men he had dated to women, and conveniently leaving out his encounter with Elton the past weekend. Chester, in turn, shared his experiences of studying abroad in Australia, and his newfound love for fitness.

After the two men devoured the pizza, without any table manners and leaving behind a mess of olives and tomato sauce, Oliver awkwardly interrupted the dinner chatter, "So, are we still working out or nah?"

Chester grinned. "Well, I’m still feeling it if you are.”

“I’m kind of tired actually and the way your apartment is set up is making me sleepy.”

“Oh so quickly?” Chester replied. “Ready to call it a night?”

“No, no, don’t get me wrong.” Oliver did not want to return to his abode only to feel shitty about Elton again. “I mean, can we just chill?” 

Chester raised an eyebrow, a playful smile on his face. "Oh, so you want to just chill and relax here, huh?"

Oliver shuddered, a little afraid of offending his host. “I just meant, can we hang out and chat some more? You know, maybe play some drinking games or something?"

Chester chuckled. "Sure thing, man. We can hang out and chat. No pressure. I have a few board games and some drinks if you're up for it."

They moved to the living room, and Chester took out a board game that involved solving trivia questions and taking shots for wrong answers. The game was fun, and it lightened the mood. As they played, they exchanged more personal stories, diving deeper into their lives and interests.

As the night wore on, Oliver found himself feeling more at ease with Chester. It was strange how he thought Chester was this annoying big wig at his company just earlier this week and now they were chatting like bosom friends. 

At some point during their conversation, Oliver started to feel a strange attraction towards Chester that he hadn't experienced before. It wasn't really a physical attraction as Chester with his stocky built was just not Oliver’s type, but something deeper, an emotional connection that grew with every passing minute. As the clock struck midnight, they decided to call it a night. Oliver had lost track of time, and he was surprised by how much he had enjoyed himself. Chester offered him the couch to spend the night, not wanting Oliver to pay for a cab home with the midnight surcharge, and Oliver gladly accepted. He was too tired to go back to his apartment, and staying with Chester felt way more convenient.

“Goodnight.” Chester retreated to his bedroom while Oliver settled in on the couch, wrapping himself in a blanket. From the corner of his eye, Oliver could see dim red lighting emanating from the crack of the door. His curiosity got the better of him and he stretched his neck, hoping to catch a better glimpse of what lay beyond Chester’s bedroom door. He thought he caught the sight of something off, but shrugged it off; it must be a religious altar or something similar.

The apartment was quiet now, and Oliver heard moaning sounds through the door and couldn't help but wonder what Chester was doing in his room. His curiosity got the better of him, but he quickly pushed the thought away, reminding himself that he needed to respect Chester's privacy as a first-time guest. 

As he drifted off to sleep, he couldn't shake off the strange feeling he had been experiencing all evening. The next morning, Oliver woke up on the couch, feeling more refreshed than he had expected. Despite the emotional rollercoaster with Elton’s disappearance all week, he was grateful for the friendship he had found with Chester. As he got ready to leave, Chester emerged from his bedroom, looking as if he had just woken up as well, dressed only in pale blue boxers. They exchanged sleepy greetings.

"I had a really great time last night," Oliver said genuinely, breaking the morning silence.

Chester nodded, a soft smile on his face. "Me too. It was nice to have someone to talk to and just be ourselves."

Oliver agreed, feeling a sense of contentment and comfort in Chester's presence. "We should do this again sometime."

Chester chuckled. "Definitely. I'm always up for more board games and late-night chats."

Oliver smiled, feeling an excitement about their future hangouts. They said their goodbyes, and Oliver left Chester's apartment with a renewed sense of happiness.

Guest not so L

Taking up the question... 

What would you wanna read in a local gay novel?

Maybe the closeted gay Prime Minister who has some male mistresses... 

a bit of politics and business does good for a story line... 

On 5/28/2022 at 9:22 AM, Blogger Adam said:

My GP teacher used to tell us, write what you know 

That said, writers can — and should — always do tons of research on topics unfamiliar to them, before putting pen to paper, and putting paper to print 

I love this advice and have been thinking about it. Any examples on how you applied it? 

VI

After bidding Oliver farewell, Chester cleared his living room to create a makeshift workout area, complete with dumbbells, resistance bands, and a yoga mat. He put on his favourite workout playlist and began an intense training session.

Throughout the day, Chester pushed himself to the limit, doing a combination of strength training, cardio exercises, and yoga. He challenged his body with each repetition, pushing past his comfort zone, and embracing physical exhaustion as a sign of progress. His determination to improve himself fueled his energy, and he found himself feeling more alive than ever.

As the hours passed, Chester's body started to ache from the rigorous workout, but he refused to give in. He reminded himself of the goals he had set and the commitment he made to bettering himself.

The day flew by quickly, and Chester's muscles were sore, but he felt a sense of accomplishment. As the sun began to set, he decided to take a break and sat on his balcony, enjoying the view of the city. His mind wandered back to the night he spent with Oliver and how unexpectedly enjoyable it had been.

While sipping on a refreshing glass of Coca Cola, Chester's phone buzzed, and he saw a text from his girlfriend, Dania. She was checking in to see how his day was going. He smiled, telling her about his intense workout and how he had spent time with Oliver the night before. However, he left out the details of their late-night chat and board games, not wanting to complicate things with his girlfriend who often claimed he did not spend enough time with her. 

They then made plans to dine at an upscale Italian restaurant downtown. As they entered the restaurant, the ambiance was warm and inviting, and the scent of fresh bread and herbs filled the air. Dania looked stunning in a form-fitting velvet black dress that accentuated her curves, and her radiant smile lit up the room. Chester couldn't help but admire her beauty, feeling a surge of pride to have her by his side. He was dressed in a crisp linen shirt, and his confidence matched Dania's elegance.

They were led to a secluded corner table and their conversation flowed effortlessly as they caught up on each other's dayr. As the evening progressed, their hands occasionally brushed against each other while reaching for the breadbasket or the wine glasses. The waiter came to take their orders, and as they perused the menu, Chester couldn't help but notice how Dania's eyes sparkled with excitement. Her enthusiasm was infectious, and Chester found himself drawn to her more than ever.

As the wine flowed, their inhibitions began to loosen, and the chemistry between them intensified. Their laughter grew louder, and they leaned in closer, sharing intimate stories and secrets, as if the rest of the world had disappeared around them. At some point, Chester started to feel he was getting hard in his pants and thought about all the things he wanted to do to Dania when they got to his apartment. At this point, Dania mentioned that she was thinking of going on a shopping spree during the upcoming weekend.

"Oh, that sounds nice," Chester replied. "Is there something specific you're planning to buy?"

Dania's eyes lit up as she talked about the new designer handbags and shoes she had been eyeing. "I've been saving up for a while now, and I think it's time to treat myself to some Chanel shoes and Dior clothing."

Chester nodded, happy to see Dania excited about something she enjoyed. However, the mention of luxury items triggered a thought in his mind about his own financial ambitions. He remembered their past discussions about financial responsibility and how they differed in their approaches to spending.

"You know, Dania," Chester began cautiously, "I'm glad you're excited about the shopping spree, but can we be mindful of our spending habits? Maybe we could set a budget or prioritise experiences over material possessions?"

Dania looked surprised by Chester's comment. "What's wrong with treating myself to nice things once in a while? I work hard for my money, and I should be able to enjoy it."

Chester tried to explain his perspective without coming across as judgmental. "There's nothing wrong with treating yourself, Dania. It's just that we have different approaches to finances. I believe in saving and being responsible with money, while you prefer to indulge in luxurious items. It's okay to have different values, but it's essential for us to find a balance that works for both of us."

Dania's expression turned defensive, and she retorted, "Are you saying I'm irresponsible with money? I manage my finances just fine, thank you very much."

"No, that's not what I meant," Chester replied, trying to diffuse the tension. "I know you handle your finances well, but we should talk openly about our values and find a way to align our spending habits to avoid potential conflicts in the future."

“How about you spend your money the way you want and I spend my hard-earned money the way I want,” Dania retorted. 

Their discussion soon escalated and what started out as a romantic dinner turned into a tense conversation with awkward silences in between. They both cared about each other deeply, but it was evident that they had very different priorities when it came to spending and financial decisions.

After dessert, they managed to cool down and decided to end the dinner on a more peaceful note, but both felt a heaviness in their hearts. All of a sudden, Chester felt a stirring in his pants as Dania was about to leave. He grabbed her by the arm and pulled her close to him. However, Dania was visibly upset by what had transpired that night and pushed him away before he could put his lips on hers. 

The rejection hurt Chester deeply and a sense of rage built up within his body. He grabbed her tighter by the arm only for her to raise her stiletto to kick him. Now, fully enraged, Chester’s face turned red and he slapped her on her left cheek, causing her to let out a scream in the busy downtown district, where passersby looked on nosily. Mortified, Chester knew he had once again let his anger issues get the better of him, he apologised profusely but Dania left with a huff and hopped into a cab, and his Saturday night was completely ruined.  

On 5/27/2022 at 11:19 AM, dsd said:

Part II 

Through the flashbacks of various protagonist within a particular social circle, it gradually reveal how sometimes the gay gene skip one generation.

The father watched how his son was acting effeminately since entering secondary school and seems to have no interest in girls around his age and is tearing his hair out trying to get the son to engage in more sporty endeavours in an attempt to toughen him up.

but meanwhile, rumours are coming in about the grandfather, who has been estranged from the family, being seen roaming a popular garden at night and bringing a bunch of boys every night to his home.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.