Male HQ

NTUC vouchers as gifts

Guest Company HR

Guest Company HR

The company wants to award the long service award to the lontimers

As HR, i am tasked to source for gifts.

Do you think NTUC vouchers are a good choice¿ Are they tempting enough for the old staff?

Open to ideas!!!

Guest Guest

Cash in envelope is more appropriate.NTUC vouncher is a must to spend on supermarket What if  some one plan to go holiday can they use NTUC  vouncher to book ticket?

I assume you meant "longtime" .

You could be a little more creative.

There are plenty of operators who prepare hampers.

Hopefully you are not asking us for a S$10 NTUC voucher.

In the end, gift is gift...

Some people prefer to buy their own stuff, while others prefer a hamper of things you don't buy every day.

And must it be NTUC?

There are also niche shops, you can search for something more thrilling...

On 7/6/2022 at 5:54 PM, Guest Guest said:

Cash in envelope is more appropriate.NTUC vouncher is a must to spend on supermarket What if  some one plan to go holiday can they use NTUC  vouncher to book ticket?

Such vouchers don't expire usually in 3 days... unless you spend a sabbatical leave for 1 year.

Companies nowadays would avoid giving cash (Unless for CNY).

Guest Fatty
On 7/6/2022 at 2:39 PM, Guest Company HR said:

Do you think NTUC vouchers are a good choice¿ Are they tempting enough for the old staff?

Open to ideas!!!

Does your company have a canteen? Give out canteen vouchers

Guest Guest

My side the cleaner always receive ntuc vouncher as birthday gift.They usually find ways to sell the ntuc vouncher to exchange for cash.This vouncher going one big round the receiver want  only is cash.The answer is there.Some time I buy ntuc vouncher from them at a discount  it can be a big amount .It benefit only NTUC ceo only.

On 7/6/2022 at 2:39 PM, Guest Company HR said:

Open to ideas!!!

A good gift is anything that can put food on the table.  The value you are going to contribute matters more than whether NTUC vouchers or cash is a suitable option.  The desired value for long-service workers is a minimum of $200.  In fact, a mix of gift voucher and cash can be awarded all year long, for occasions like CNY Ang Bao, his service anniversary, his birthday, etc. Most essential, the personnel must be "surprised"  by the present. If you continually providing cash, the element of surprise is gone, and individuals will automatically only accept cash and nothing else, moving forward.

Edited by Why?

Guest Company HR

Very solid ideas!!!

Some prefer cash while others prefer vouchers indeed!!!

For longtimers, they are usually snior, so the vouchers so help them with their shopping needs.

In fact, we even have an online forum whereby the more they post, the more vouchers they get!!!

On 7/7/2022 at 11:21 AM, Why? said:

Most essential, the personnel must be "surprised"  by the present. If you continually providing cash, the element of surprise is gone, and individuals will automatically only accept cash and nothing else, moving forward.

The young ones probably need surprises but the elderly more practical,  also can surprise them with more cash ha.... Beside cash and voucher, can also provide them a free detailed medical check-up package if that is not in the staff benefits. 

Because of covid,  we knew almost everyone had some kind of underlying medical conditions that we dont even know it exists. 

On 7/7/2022 at 1:14 PM, Guest Company HR said:

Very solid ideas!!!

Some prefer cash while others prefer vouchers indeed!!!

For longtimers, they are usually snior, so the vouchers so help them with their shopping needs.

In fact, we even have an online forum whereby the more they post, the more vouchers they get!!!

I don't see much difference also.

With shopping vouchers you still safe the money you would need to buy things at NTUC. Means it is as good as cash.

Would people take the cash and deposit it onto their saving accounts?

Mostly not due to the low value. 

On 7/7/2022 at 1:35 PM, lonelyglobe said:

The young ones probably need surprises but the elderly more practical,  also can surprise them with more cash ha.... Beside cash and voucher, can also provide them a free detailed medical check-up package if that is not in the staff benefits. 

Because of covid,  we knew almost everyone had some kind of underlying medical conditions that we dont even know it exists. 

As to my knowledge there are certain charities that provide for a free medical check up already.

Screen for Life - National Health Screening Programme

Screen for Life (SFL) is a national screening programme that encourages Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents to go for regular health screening and follow up.

Beside cash and voucher, can also provide them a free detailed medical check-up package if that is not in the staff benefits. 

I will be the first to storm into our labor welfare office and scream sexual assault,  if the firm cannot even provide the most basic health and check-up benefits, which cost close to nothing if purchased as a group package for the entire employees.

Guest Guest

Would u receive yr gst payout in ntuc vouncher or u prefer cash payout?The answer is there already.Maybe one day travel agency accept ntuc vouncher as payment.Another option is give 3 day 2 night Bkk travel voucher .

Guest Company HR

Indeed!!!!

NTUC shopping voucher should not be the only consideration!!!

A health package sounds like a fine idea, considering their old age!

On 7/7/2022 at 1:50 PM, singalion said:

I don't see much difference also.

With shopping vouchers you still safe the money you would need to buy things at NTUC. Means it is as good as cash.

Would people take the cash and deposit it onto their saving accounts?

Mostly not due to the low value. 

I am surprised some old people dont have ready cash!!!!

But a voucher can help them use it directly too!!!

True, if its cash, they can also deposit and use as and when!!!

Guest Company HR
On 7/7/2022 at 3:06 PM, Guest Guest said:

Would u receive yr gst payout in ntuc vouncher or u prefer cash payout?The answer is there already.Maybe one day travel agency accept ntuc vouncher as payment.Another option is give 3 day 2 night Bkk travel voucher .

On 7/7/2022 at 3:06 PM, Guest Guest said:

On our internal forum, we had a poll!!!!

I am surprised many people started posting because they want the NTUC voucher.

But the travel voucher is actually a very good idea!!!!

Say the company is willing to spend $500 for the long term award. Ask the staff to list 3 things he wants as a reward, without telling the staff the company's limit. Then look at the item that best fit the budget. If all cannot, guide the staff towards a more fitting one with some consideration and discussion. Then spend that amount. If got leftover, give the leftover cash to the staff. E.g. staff wants a holiday to Korea, costs $600. Discuss with the staff to do a less expensive holiday, say maybe to Malaysia which costs $400. Then present that Malaysia holiday to the staff and give the leftover $100 to the staff as spending money.

Guest Company HR
On 7/7/2022 at 11:20 PM, Greenliv said:

Say the company is willing to spend $500 for the long term award. Ask the staff to list 3 things he wants as a reward, without telling the staff the company's limit. Then look at the item that best fit the budget. If all cannot, guide the staff towards a more fitting one with some consideration and discussion. Then spend that amount. If got leftover, give the leftover cash to the staff. E.g. staff wants a holiday to Korea, costs $600. Discuss with the staff to do a less expensive holiday, say maybe to Malaysia which costs $400. Then present that Malaysia holiday to the staff and give the leftover $100 to the staff as spending money.

Yes true!!!!

The problem with NTUC VOUCHERS, some feel, is that it sounds cheap!!!!

Lol

I never believe that!!!

But your idea of half funding am overseas trip is good!!!!

Guest Company HR

Good idea!!!!

Guest Guest

Nowsaday the poor where got frequent NTUC.Many flock to RC to get free groceries and free donated lunch box.Many welfare org.also contribute canned food and instant noodles.Even breadtalk give away left over bread for free to the poor.Now the big problem arises the Ntuc vouncher they have to sell to someone at a loss for hard cash.

Too much work for the HR 🤣

Ok for small company with a few long term service awards but probably not for a big company with many long service awards staff. 

Edited by lonelyglobe

On 7/8/2022 at 10:26 AM, Guest Guest said:

Nowsaday the poor where got frequent NTUC.

We are talking about long service awards so i doubt they will be that poor although sporean will cry poor and see if can get more ah gong's money but our ah gong also not stupid. 

Edited by lonelyglobe

Ask the staff to list 3 things he wants as a reward, without telling the staff the company's limit. Then look at the item that best fit the budget. If all cannot, guide the staff towards a more fitting one..

If the worker asked for a present that was much less than what was entitled to him, you are short-changing him. On the other hand, you are embarrassing him if his request goes above the budgetary limit.  Thus, guessing game is not the path that should be promoted. Give him the maximum amount he merited for the lengthy service if the corporation is ready to give him $500. either as a one-time "incentive" that was added to his monthly salary. The payrol will explain why there was an extra "$500." It saves HR a ton of effort and cuts down on employee time spent making assumptions on company budget. 

Edited by Why?

Guest Company HR
On 7/8/2022 at 10:44 AM, lonelyglobe said:

Too much work for the HR 🤣

Ok for small company with a few long term service awards but probably not for a big company with many long service awards staff. 

True!!!

For small company, not too many long service awardees !!!! Lol

Some people also say that giving NTUC vouchers in return for his service may be the fastest solution!!!!!

On 7/8/2022 at 10:47 AM, lonelyglobe said:

We are talking about long service awards so i doubt they will be that poor although sporean will cry poor and see if can get more ah gong's money but our ah gong also not stupid. 

NTUC vouchers may not be fashionable but very accessible!!!!

Personally, I don't mind being seen as cheapskate if I can fulfill my hunger meeds!!!! Lol

Guest Guest
On 7/8/2022 at 4:40 PM, Guest Company HR said:

True!!!

For small company, not too many long service awardees !!!! Lol

Some people also say that giving NTUC vouchers in return for his service may be the fastest solution!!!!!

NTUC vouchers may not be fashionable but very accessible!!!!

Personally, I don't mind being seen as cheapskate if I can fulfill my hunger meeds!!!! Lol

Lol, good try

If it's for long term award, putting in a bit of thinking work is worth the effort. Giving money is always an easy way out, no difference from getting sales incentives. Putting in effort shows you treasure the staff for putting in the hours over the years (long service award). You are not short-changing the staff if the staff opts for a below your budget reward because you still give the remaining cash to the staff. Working with the staff on the over budget reward shows that the company is conscientious about budgeting (it's a good sign). Sometimes the effort you put in to work with the long term staff is priceless; at least the staff can boast of how the company is spending some time on him for his long service.

Guest Company HR
On 7/8/2022 at 5:40 PM, Greenliv said:

If it's for long term award, putting in a bit of thinking work is worth the effort. Giving money is always an easy way out, no difference from getting sales incentives. Putting in effort shows you treasure the staff for putting in the hours over the years (long service award). You are not short-changing the staff if the staff opts for a below your budget reward because you still give the remaining cash to the staff. Working with the staff on the over budget reward shows that the company is conscientious about budgeting (it's a good sign). Sometimes the effort you put in to work with the long term staff is priceless; at least the staff can boast of how the company is spending some time on him for his long service.

True!!!

Some even say giving NTUC vouchers is low class!!!!

As long as recognition is given , in any form  NTUC or ShengShiong vouchers  , for elderly folks, is good!!!

Guest Company HR
On 7/9/2022 at 4:32 PM, Guest Guest said:

Give trophy than.Follow our media corps star award pattern.Finally no money involve save the company lots of money.

It's not jist about the money!!!!

Some say the company should givr money BUT for the old people maybe they feel a sense of belonging to the company!!!!

Of course if there is monetary benefits, it is good too!!!!

Guest GUEST

NTUC voucher is only good if the person goes to NTUC to buy their stuff. Not everyone go to NTUC. Some people prefer to go to sheng siong or other supermarket, so the NTUC vouchers might ended up not suitable.

Guest Company HR
On 7/9/2022 at 10:50 PM, Greenliv said:

It's a different ball game. One is a competition, the other is a recognition.

Yes!!!!

Recognition!!!! That's the key word!!!

Guest Company HR
On 7/6/2022 at 5:27 PM, NeitherHereNorThere said:

NTUC vouchers are appealing to me, and there's one near my place! But NTUC stuff are not as cheap as they should be...as compared to other supermarkets (SS, HAO etc)..

Is SS HAO etc ofdering vouchers like NTUC also???!?!?!

Tt will be gd!!!!

Guest Company HR
On 7/9/2022 at 10:50 PM, Greenliv said:

It's a different ball game. One is a competition, the other is a recognition.

@Greenliv

True!!!! 

Recognition is important for the elderly because they workso long insame company!!!!

Some people might say they should be retrenched, but if a company keep them and rewards them with NTUC vouchers, its a form of appreciation!!!!!

Guest Guest

Some company give  $100 toto  or 4d ticket .If open is a double blessing and can retire immediately. .All depends on yr luck that's what the company say.If never open continue working for the next retirement year 

Guest Company HR
On 7/11/2022 at 8:07 PM, Guest Guest said:

Some company give  $100 toto  or 4d ticket .If open is a double blessing and can retire immediately. .All depends on yr luck that's what the company say.If never open continue working for the next retirement year 

I would never want $100 4d ticket...!!!!

I am surprised  some company do that!!!!!!!

Rather have NTUC vouchers!!!!

At least can buy things I want...

Groceries,

Food, 

3quarter pants!!!!!

Guest Company HR
On 7/8/2022 at 2:42 PM, Why? said:

If the worker asked for a present that was much less than what was entitled to him, you are short-changing him. On the other hand, you are embarrassing him if his request goes above the budgetary limit.  Thus, guessing game is not the path that should be promoted. Give him the maximum amount he merited for the lengthy service if the corporation is ready to give him $500. either as a one-time "incentive" that was added to his monthly salary. The payrol will explain why there was an extra "$500." It saves HR a ton of effort and cuts down on employee time spent making assumptions on company budget. 

Are you in HR?!?!?!

Very good pointers!!!!

Guest Company HR
On 7/8/2022 at 12:58 PM, robin said:

I will not want to receive physical ntuc vouchers as this means I need to queue up to pay. Many of us are now living in the online shopping world, so don’t waste my time..

@robin

True!!!

I am surprised some people have not done online shopping till today!!!!

Guest Choice

Some companies transparently offer a choice to all long service recipients that they choose from themselves , ie. gold watch / airline vouchers / cash 

This way, it is a clear process, people don’t feel short-changed or wonder what others got and they can choose what’s most appropriate for them.

To me, NTUC vouchers are more for a short term incentive, same as grab food vouchers and things like that.

On 7/8/2022 at 12:58 PM, robin said:

I will not want to receive physical ntuc vouchers as this means I need to queue up to pay. Many of us are now living in the online shopping world, so don’t waste my time..

Until the day the online order doesn't arrive on time...

Guest Company HR
On 7/13/2022 at 8:38 AM, Guest Choice said:

Some companies transparently offer a choice to all long service recipients that they choose from themselves , ie. gold watch / airline vouchers / cash 

This way, it is a clear process, people don’t feel short-changed or wonder what others got and they can choose what’s most appropriate for them.

To me, NTUC vouchers are more for a short term incentive, same as grab food vouchers and things like that.

Yes!!!!

Some people say any incentive is good!!!!

Grab food vouchers is a great idea!!!!!!

Guest Company HR
On 7/13/2022 at 3:50 PM, Why? said:

Nope!!   HR people are usually quite stupid.  I am not them.

Yes!!!!

Some people say HR people are smart!!!

But I agree most are stupid!!!!!

And cant keep secrets!!!!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.