Male HQ

Transferring files/documents to new laptop

Apologies guys, if this has been asked before: what is the fastest yet secured/reliable way of transferring files from my old laptop to the new one? I have more than 50 Word documents, more than 50 Powerpoint files (some quite huge containing around 100 slides) and an equally large number of Excel documents too.

Appreciate your advice.  Is there any expert here that can help the transfer? :)

On 7/17/2022 at 11:49 PM, Lookingood said:

Apologies guys, if this has been asked before: what is the fastest yet secured/reliable way of transferring files from my old laptop to the new one? I have more than 50 Word documents, more than 50 Powerpoint files (some quite huge containing around 100 slides) and an equally large number of Excel documents too.

Appreciate your advice.  Is there any expert here that can help the transfer? :)

I believe copying them over using a USB thumb-drive/SSD/external HDD will be the easiest for your case.

Thanks for the helpful advice.

I believe storing on google drive or icloud will incur storage cost and also subject the files and documents to external factors beyond my control.

Will most likely get an external storage device - SSD or HDD.  SSD will be more expensive rite? This also can act as back-up (thanks, Behrhunter!)

My only concern is that it might take a long time to copy so many files, and upload them to the new laptop.  Oh well. 

On 7/19/2022 at 11:10 PM, Lookingood said:

Thanks for the helpful advice.

I believe storing on google drive or icloud will incur storage cost and also subject the files and documents to external factors beyond my control.

Will most likely get an external storage device - SSD or HDD.  SSD will be more expensive rite? This also can act as back-up (thanks, Behrhunter!)

My only concern is that it might take a long time to copy so many files, and upload them to the new laptop.  Oh well. 

Google drive and iCloud do have free-tier storage options, though I think not much, 5GB for iCloud and 15GB for Google if I remember correctly.

Yes, SSD external drives are more expensive, but in a sense more durable as they do not have moving parts.

Based on your office files, it should take just a few minutes to transfer over.

Based on your description your files are very small in relative comparison. Maybe you should find how the size of the files you are transferring and do a google on transfer speeds. There are many tools to do it. And they will most probably take 5 - 10mins conservatively. 

Yes, free accounts for cloud storage provides the following free space: 

Google Drive - 15GB, iCloud - 5Gb, One Drive - 5Gb. Note that cloud drive speeds is dependent on your internet speed as well 

From personal experience and also recent studies, SSDs are not necessarily more durable. I am not very good with technicalities, but it is more durable in a sense that there are no moving parts, so it is less susceptible to damage should there be a shock force eg dropped compared to HDD. There are other factors which i will not dwell into as it will get too technical. But yes SSD is lighter, faster and more expensive. For me backups i use HDD, for frequently used files like your main operating system i use SSD. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.