Male HQ

Never travelled. Any beginner friendly destination?

Guest Never travelled before

Guest Never travelled before

I'm reaching 30 soon and I have never travelled in my life.. 

Never booked a plane. 

Never booked a hotel. 

Never know how to holiday in another country. 

Can anyone suggest any beginner friendly location for holiday? Best to avoid tourist scam spot. I scared. 

Just wanted to go somewhere in my 30th alone and be lost so where else? 

Any idea? 

47 minutes ago, Guest Never travelled before said:

Never booked a plane. 

Never booked a hotel. 

Can anyone suggest any beginner friendly location for holiday? Best to avoid tourist scam spot. I scared. 

Any idea? 

Taiwan is a great spot if you can understand Chn. Do ping me if you need tips or even an itinerary.

41 minutes ago, firefight said:

Taiwan is a great spot if you can understand Chn. Do ping me if you need tips or even an itinerary.

I no speak Cheena. Taiwan have no English at all? 

53 minutes ago, Isadore T said:

Then I suppose that you might want to go to a country with low crime. Do some research for low crime rate countries then. Like maybe Korea, Japan or even Taiwan.

Any English friendly location? 

Guest Hiao Chee 冰冰
1 hour ago, Guest Never travelled before said:

Never booked a plane. 

Never booked a hotel. 

Any idea? 

Go Thailand.  Get fucked until your legs cannot closed

Well, to be fair, I never had the luxury of travelling overseas myself also until I was about his age as well. If you want a safe first trip and you want English only, consider Australia. Or rather, it's about your only option in the region.

9 minutes ago, singalion said:

I assume the TS was the guy who wrote to me "too far" in the dating app. 🤣

Just wonder, is TS an orphan, his parents never took him for a holiday?

Poor family have no luxury to travel. 

Holiday is a Singaporean concept. 

Guest ffffffff

Go Sentosa. Cable car ticket a few dollars only. Cable car fly you overseas to beach, aquarium 

Go Johor bahru Malaysia truly asia. Cross bridge only take bus very cheap. Kuala lumper also can take high class coach . Meals included.KL very cruisy like Sodom and Gomorrah

Shiok. The food also🔥🔥🔥

Further afield, try Australia. The white men love asian boys. Sydney Melbourne gold Coast, perrh. White men waiting to suck your cock.😛😛🔥😛

2 hours ago, Isadore T said:

Well, to be fair, I never had the luxury of travelling overseas myself also until I was about his age as well. If you want a safe first trip and you want English only, consider Australia. Or rather, it's about your only option in the region.

Australia?

But the Australians are too rowdy, and safety wise?

If they are drunk, they might be offensive to Asians, depending on what area you are.

And if the Australians talk, not sure he would understand anything... probably also misses their jokes, what will cause a lot of misunderstandings.

Also, in Sydney I booked a 5* Hotel but ended up just next to the red light district.

When coming back to the hotel after 9pm, it was quite a torture...

Further, he could get a lifetime trauma when he wanders through the gardens around St Mary Cathedral, spotting the super huge bats.

This after just having survived Covid should be too much to take.

Saw hundreds of bats flying around when driving on Great Western Highway near  St Marys : r/sydney

Fruit bats in tree Stock Photos - Page 1 : Masterfile

1 minute ago, singalion said:

Australia?

But the Australians are too rowdy, and safety wise?

If they are drunk, they might be offensive to Asians, depending on what area you are.

And if the Australians talk, not sure he would understand anything... probably also misses their jokes, what will cause a lot of misunderstandings.

Also, in Sydney I booked a 5* Hotel but ended up just next to the red light district.

When coming back to the hotel after 9pm, it was quite a torture...

Further, he could get a lifetime trauma when he wanders through the gardens around St Mary Cathedral, spotting the super huge bats.

This after just having survived Covid should be too much to take.

Saw hundreds of bats flying around when driving on Great Western Highway near  St Marys : r/sydney

Fruit bats in tree Stock Photos - Page 1 : Masterfile

Australia scary sia. 

Any other place in the world that is safe like Singapoor? 

18 minutes ago, Guest National Geographic said:

Go China, the safest country in the world.  America is too dangerous for starter. 

But I would buy I life insurance before I travel to China at the moment, guess what, he won't even benefit from the insurance but his successors...

2 minutes ago, singalion said:

But I would buy I life insurance before I travel to China at the moment, guess what, he won't even benefit from the insurance but his successors...

I rather go Taiwan than China tbh

9 minutes ago, Guest Hmm said:

Australia scary sia. 

Any other place in the world that is safe like Singapoor? 

Safe like Singapore?

Oh, yes, Liechtenstein or Iceland...

The rest is totally unsafe...

Safest Cities in Europe

Countless cities are considered safe in Europe, though the 10 safest are those where travelers love to go and there are low crime rates throughout the year.

Here the ranking, but need to read the small print...

Lahti Region, Finland

Finland as a whole is one of the safer countries in Europe – so safe that the country does not even feel the need to join NATO. [outdated]

The Lahti Region is approximately an hour to the north of Helsinki.

You’ll find greenery everywhere you look – forests, parks, and reserves are bountiful and ideal for exploring on a warm spring day.

While there are some areas with drug dealing and usage, they can be easily avoided by asking the hotel concierge where not to go, especially after dark.

ha ha, safest and got all the drug junkies around...

Leuven, Belgium

In the heart of Belgium, you’ll find Leuven.

It is home to science, art, as well as beer.

The history of breweries dates back to the 1300s, and it is also the birthplace of Stella Artois.

The most crimes you have to worry about are vandalism and theft – and even those crimes do not happen very often.

Overall, the crime index for the city is at 34.

You’ll find that there is a lot of social diversity*   throughout the city.

It is extremely accessible, and you can walk or bike almost anywhere you want to go.

Boy, there is nothing really safe...

*With social diversity they meant the huge amount of gay bar and entertainment outlets...

Edited by singalion

5 Safety Tips for Traveling to Europe

You can always work to be a little safer during your travels to Europe.

Following a few safety tips can help you to relax and enjoy yourself.

As you work to know your surroundings, you’ll come across as confident instead of looking like an unsuspecting tourist.

1. Use Reputable Taxi Services

There are various “drivers” that will provide airport transfers – but many of these individuals are con artists.

Instead, use a reputable service to provide you with transfers and transportation around a particular city.

This way, you can be sure that they are registered and properly licensed.

2. Buy Travel Insurance

While it is always a good idea to have travel insurance, it is particularly important in Europe.

You are likely going to travel to more than one country.

And when you travel more, you are more prone to lose luggage, experience thefts, and more.

The insurance policy will provide you with peace of mind.

3. Do Not Walk with Your Luggage

Just as pickpockets can grab a purse, they can do the same with your luggage.

Store your luggage at your hotel or with a storage facility.

This way, you do not tempt fate that your luggage will be stolen right out of your hands.

4. Avoid Pulling Out Maps

Do not pull out a map, guidebook, or anything else in a crowded square or train station.

First, it marks you as a clueless tourist, which can lead more con artists to head your way.

Second, your attention will be on that instead of those around you, making you a larger target for pickpocketing and petty theft.

5. Speak the Language

There are many people who will take advantage of travelers when given the opportunity.

Do your best to speak the native language of the country that you are visiting.

Even a phrasebook can be helpful.

By knowing what people are saying around you, you are less likely to be taken advantage of, even if it just means paying more than a local would.

5 minutes ago, singalion said:

You’ll find that there is a lot of social diversity*   throughout the city.

😱  Leuven/ Louvain

I just saw that this city of 100,000 inhabitants  in Belgium has more gay outlets than the whole of South East Asia... (excluding Thailand)

holebi- en holebi friendly café’s in Leuven
holebi Cafés

C&C (Couperus & Cocteau)
Diestsestraat 245, 3000 Leuven
open on sun, mon,wen, thu from 20h to 1u30

’t Gerucht
Tiensestraat 28, 3000 Leuven,
open on tue and wed vfom 20h tot 1h, on thu from 20h to 2h, on fri and sat from 20h tot 3h

Key West
Dirk Boutslaan 12, 3000 Leuven.
open every day from 20h, closed on sundays
[original link]

Akotee
Brabaçonnestraat 29, 3000 Leuven

Charly’s
Martelarenplein 11, 3000 Leuven
open every day from 10h30

Rocco

Diestsesteenweg, 24

3010 Leuven

Café Foyer
Mathieu de Layensplein 5, 3000 Leuven.
open every day from 10h

Oase
Oude Markt 53, 3000 Leuven
open every day

Looks like lot of party every night.... 🤣

Guest JB Msia
6 hours ago, Guest Never travelled before said:

Never booked a plane. 

Never booked a hotel. 

Any idea? 

Go JB 

Guest travel is for the rich

seems like there is not much interesting choice... before internet, traveling is a mysterious wonder.

now if u wanna explore a new place, just watch some travel vlogger and "travel" with them and u have basically experienced the travel minus the boring journey, waiting, anxiety ...

and if wanna try the food, just watch some food vlogger can already..

everything can be done virtually nowadays. no need to travel in real life.

even if u travel to a location in real person, u will most probably experience it through ur phone camera lense...

so might as well just stay at home.

I have a friend when he travel he prefer  just stay in hotel room buy beer from 7-11 and drink in room while I go for my foot massage, facial and waxing.He is trying to save cost so stay in hotel room drink ing and do video call with his Singapore friend.

1 hour ago, Guest travel is for the rich said:

seems like there is not much interesting choice... before internet, traveling is a mysterious wonder.

now if u wanna explore a new place, just watch some travel vlogger and "travel" with them and u have basically experienced the travel minus the boring journey, waiting, anxiety ...

and if wanna try the food, just watch some food vlogger can already..

Just watching on the internet is quite boring.

And maybe the TS wants to try to taste some different cock also?

How can you compare tasting food in real from some tv or youtube show?

Only with tasting the real thing, your tummy will be upset...

9 hours ago, firefight said:

Taiwan is a great spot if you can understand Chn. 

Taiwan is a tourist friendly country.  English is not so common, but they are making an effort to become Mandarin-English bilingual.  In many countries English is not universal, but for the purpose of a tourist one can make oneself understood and survive.   Taipei is a low-risk destination if one is agile and can get out of the way of  the millions of scooters  (I'm kidding).  

Living in Singapore,  close by destinations that are not very expensive, with no language problems, with friendly people are Kuala Lumpur (KL), Bangkok.  KL is just 5 hours away by bus.  Bangkok has interesting sites to visit (tourist traps).  KL not so much.  Both cities offer good variety of gays that are willing players in their saunas, ha ha.

4 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Hongkong? I think your choice are rather limited, i dont think faraway trip are a good option for first timer, long flight + jetlag is something need to consider beside safety. 

yes, maybe Hongkong. But it might be the same as Taiwan. Hong Kong is still 4 hours flight, same for Taiwan.

But Hongkong hotel is more expensive.

Both parts are not non crime areas also (night time etc).

Actually, I would advise the TS to find a travel partner and not to go alone.

That could help in reducing the dangers and risks (unless the two don't match...) and increase the safety issue.

Both have to agree on their leisure spending and interests.

But all in all I think someone can be found, maybe even on BW...

Then options as Malaysia, Bali, or Thailand are also suitable.

2 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

with friendly people are Kuala Lumpur (KL), Bangkok.  KL is just 5 hours away by bus.  Bangkok has interesting sites to visit (tourist traps).  KL not so much. 

What you forget on friendliness is the fact that often Caucasians are treated much friendlier in certain parts in Asia compared to Asians (and Singaporeans don't fare as the most welcome visitors, due to their attitude, demanding too much and criticism on everything...) (Just read the tripadvisor comments on...)...

You should waste some thought that the TS is probably Asian and then friendliness looks different already.

Talking of my own experience when travelling with a Singaporean... and how people get treated.

So, there is a difference...

On a note, with heavy traffic a trip to KL may take up to 8 hours by bus and on return you may spend 3 hours at both the immigrations if you travel by bus.

I would spend 50 bucks more and take a flight that saves me all the wasted time in a bus.

10 hours ago, firefight said:

Younger generations speak English. Taiwanese are very helpful also. I never had any problems.

Worse is being in China or HK and the restaurant menu  has only Chinese characters and not pictures.

Lucky that I wasn't served bat or anything not so nice ...

For a beginner traveler, and also non beginner, there are some items that can help.

- Travel light.  Take only carry-on luggage.  A small bag on wheels, a backpack.  

- Avoid looking wealthy.  Use simple, plain clothes without any accessories of value.  The laptop, cellphone should be the most expensive items.

- Research, research, research the place of your destination before the trip.  Load a mental map in your head, with good orientations.  Get familiar with the public transportation, how to go between the airport and the hotel.  

- Plan to walk a lot.  Even if you are 80 years old.  Explore the city on public transportation.  Have an updated GPD map of the city on your phone.  Take with you a small compass to help orient yourself.  Carry with you a copy of your passport main page, if not the passport itself.

- Feel successful if you can conveniently navigate the city without any need of taxis, ubers.

13 minutes ago, singalion said:

Actually, I would advise the TS to find a travel partner and not to go alone.

Actually, I would advise the TS to travel alone if he is fully functional and intelligent.   The dangers in foreign Asian cities is not much avoided by traveling with companions, and Asians are typically non aggressive and friendly.  It is different than traveling to the Middle East.  Being alone adds to the freedom to decide, to explore, to adapt.

8 minutes ago, singalion said:

Younger generations speak English. Taiwanese are very helpful also. I never had any problems.

Worse is being in China or HK and the restaurant menu  has only Chinese characters and not pictures.

Lucky that I wasn't served bat or anything not so nice ...

LOL!  I would have liked to see your face when you were served some insects soup in a monkey skull!  ( like in one of the movies with Harrison Ford )

12 hours ago, Guest Never travelled before said:

Never booked a plane. 

Never booked a hotel. 

Any idea? 

1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

Actually, I would advise the TS to travel alone if he is fully functional and intelligent.   The dangers in foreign Asian cities is not much avoided by traveling with companions, and Asians are typically non aggressive and friendly.  It is different than traveling to the Middle East.  Being alone adds to the freedom to decide, to explore, to adapt.

If TS is a loner...

Actually, I think he is too overly cautious on safety. 

I travelled so many places in the region, never had any crime issue or anything I felt unsafe. 

KL, Bangkok, Taipeh, Jakarta, Bali, and many more... just go around in simple non fancy clothing and without any luxury items. 

If you're local, you will blend in easily...

Yes, if you risk taking a cab after midnight or from a far off location, 

you might get ripped off, but if your back to your hotel, probably the amount is less than a 10km Grab ride at 1am in Singapore...

Edited by singalion

11 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

For a beginner traveler, and also non beginner, there are some items that can help.

- Travel light.  Take only carry-on luggage.  A small bag on wheels, a backpack.  

- Avoid looking wealthy.  Use simple, plain clothes without any accessories of value.  The laptop, cellphone should be the most expensive items.

- Research, research, research the place of your destination before the trip.  Load a mental map in your head, with good orientations.  Get familiar with the public transportation, how to go between the airport and the hotel.  

- Plan to walk a lot.  Even if you are 80 years old.  Explore the city on public transportation.  Have an updated GPD map of the city on your phone.  Take with you a small compass to help orient yourself.  Carry with you a copy of your passport main page, if not the passport itself.

- Feel successful if you can conveniently navigate the city without any need of taxis, ubers.

This is sound advice. 

22 hours ago, Guest Never travelled before said:

Never booked a plane. 

Never booked a hotel. 

Any idea? 

Since this is your first time doing so, you may wish to enlist the help of a friend to help you book your place ticket, and your accommodation.

If you book your accommodation through one of those sites like Agoda or Booking.com, you can cancel the booking if you suddenly get cold feet. 

The same cannot quite be said for your plane ticket. 

You want to go to a safe country, but the reality is that you have only lived in Singapore, so most other countries will look intimidating, if not unsafe, for you. 

One factor to consider is language. You said you do not speak Chinese, so I presume you speak either Malay or Tamil. 

Tamil is useful in Tamil Nadu, but India may be much too much of a culture shock to you. 

This leaves the Malay speaking countries of Indonesia, Malaysia or Brunei. 

Brunei is very peaceful. Jakarta is bustling, so maybe Jogja for cultural richness. 

Alternatively, Langkawi in Malaysia is also quite peaceful. Or Penang, which is very walkable. I do not know if you would find Kuala Lumpur too much for you. 

All these places involves flights that are not too long.

If you can overcome your worry of the language barrier, then you have many other places to choose from. 

Guest Proxy country
12 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Taiwan is a tourist friendly country. 

It used to be a friendly country, but now Taiwan is being used as a proxy by America and has land mines planted around the island.   Insurance won't cover those area. 

18 minutes ago, Guest Proxy country said:

It used to be a friendly country, but now Taiwan is being used as a proxy by America and has land mines planted around the island.   Insurance won't cover those area. 

You should be ashamed to use a thread about a beginner traveler to insert your anti-America propaganda and other falsities.   Taiwan is NOT used as proxy by America. And IT IS a friendly country.

And "land mines planted around the island"???   You must be thinking of Taiwan's Kinmen island, off the coast of China, where mines were planted more than half a century ago to deter Chinese invaders.  No sane tourist would think of visiting that place.   A trip to Taiwan is primarily a visit to Taipei,...  where there are no land mines. :lol:  

Very boring. Like not exciting.

Why people never suggest like Rome, or Turkey or Czech Republic or Brazil or dubai. 

Shows how small minded Singaporean really are and how easily influenced by advertisement. 

The typical australia, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Bangkok, bali, Malaysia. 

This shows how tourism works. 

All those location listed have some form of advertisement asking you to visit before... 

1 minute ago, Guest Why said:

Very boring. Like not exciting.

Why people never suggest like Rome, or Turkey or Czech Republic or Brazil or dubai. 

Shows how small minded Singaporean really are and how easily influenced by advertisement. 

The typical australia, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Bangkok, bali, Malaysia. 

This shows how tourism works. 

All those location listed have some form of advertisement asking you to visit before... 

Here we are advising a beginner traveler.  You must be a seasoned traveler, who should visit the Artic and the Antarctic.  Fight with the polar bears, the penguins, and lodge in igloos. 

I visited Australia, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia,  and found these countries very interesting.  Not boring at all. 

For your first trip

- Select a country where you are conversant with the language and most of your troubles will go away because you can always ask someone for directions, advice  etc and if an official starts telling you something you will understand without miscommunication. When you are more seasoned and confident then countries where you don’t understand the language.

- Get out what you think you may need to wear, lay it all out and then put half away. You never need everything you think you do. You can always buy what you forgot.

- Look at the weather forecast for where you are going and plan for the conditions there and remember it can be cold on the plane.

- Plan to layer clothing. If its warm wear one layer, cooler an other layer, cold a third layer instead of packing really heavy stuff.

- Ensure you carry any medications, electronics and one change of clothes with you on the plane and not in suitcase. Sometimes your luggage may not arrive same day as you do.

- Leave your jewellery designer wear and really expensive items at home. Just take the stuff you don’t care too much about if your bag goes missing or pickpocketed etc.

- Keep your mind switched on and treat with a grain of salt what you are told by people that approach you unsolicited. Better taking advice from people you pick to approach

- If you feeling confused lost or worried, walk into lobby of any 4/5 star hotel and ask the concierge

- Just like SG if you are out late at night in a poorly lit area, thats when bad actor types like moving around, so be a bit extra alert.

- Read up about the country you are visiting and identify cultural difference before you go. Eg many muslim countries no alcohol in public, Thailand don't point you foot toward someone. You will see lots of things that are different, best to observe differences, keep mouth shut and don’t criticise and accept there are differences.

i have been to 70+ countries and every country in the world including SG has vast majority of good people and a few bad actors. 

i shake my head at some of the very poor ill informed and biased / racist information posted above - reads like a lot of the crap posted on FakeBook 

Guest Sheperd
9 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

You should be ashamed to use a thread about a beginner traveler to insert your anti-America propaganda and other falsities.   Taiwan is NOT used as proxy by America. And IT IS a friendly country.

And "land mines planted around the island"???   You must be thinking of Taiwan's Kinmen island, off the coast of China, where mines were planted more than half a century ago to deter Chinese invaders.  No sane tourist would think of visiting that place.   A trip to Taiwan is primarily a visit to Taipei,...  where there are no land mines. :lol:  

Taipei?  So boring as if we have not have enough of city life.  I prefer New Zealand, the mountains, river and the ranch. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.