Male HQ

Running Dehumidifiers - pros and cons

It’s really has been very humid lately. Thinking of getting a dehumidifier to dehumidify my living room especially. From info available online and from sales staff it seems to me that it’s not exactly fuss free as I had hoped. What concerns me most at moment is the temperature increase of the space it’s in when it’s running (heat generated by compressor). And also the rapid rise of humidity when one opens the windows for fresh air (machine off). I’m wondering how long will it take to get the humidity down again in reality. 
Anyways … it will be very much appreciated if anyone who has experience in running dehumidifiers can chime in regarding the pros and cons … and what sales staff are not telling me 😀

I bought a dehumidifier in December last year and have never looked back! I got the Novita ND2000 2-in-1 dehumidifier-air purifier and am very happy with it.

The unit spews out warm air, but the overall difference in temperature is barely felt. In fact, when my neighbor popped by a couple of days back, she asked why my house felt noticeably cooler than the corridor - and I gave credit to the dehumidifier.

I first found out about dehumidifiers from my godsister: her flat suffers from really bad humidity - to the point of black mold spots appearing at the top of her walls and ceiling. After she and her husband scraped away the mold and repainted the place, they bought dehumidifiers to try lowering the relative humidity, and the mold spots haven't been back for the past 3 years (and counting).

While it is true the windows ought to be kept closed, it's no loss to us because she has a cat, and I don't really like to open the windows anyway for my loath of dust and potential insects flying in. I do, however, periodically open 2 of my living room windows a few cm for some fresh air to enter the house.

My unit comes with a continuous drainage pipe, but I prefer to let the water collect into the tank where I then use it to flush my toilet - the 4L tank fills my cistern's tank nicely. I empty the dehumidifier's tank about 4x a day if I leave the unit running for 24h on laundry mode (the highest fan speed). If I set it to auto whereby the unit regulates itself according to the ambient relative humidity then it's around 2 and a half times a day... but I personally like it on the highest setting so I don't feel so sickeningly sticky at home.

It is a wee bit cumbersome to empty the tank a few times daily but I've gotten used to it I guess? That, and the slightly higher electricity bills are what I'd count as supposed cons of having a dehumidifier, but I do feel better overall during the day so I'm absolutely not going to complain. :)

Edited by zyjd
typo

Guest ORLANDO valentino
31 minutes ago, zyjd said:

I bought a dehumidifier in December last year and have never looked back! I got the Novita ND2000 2-in-1 dehumidifier-air purifier and am very happy with it.

The unit spews out warm air, but the overall difference in temperature is barely felt. In fact, when my neighbor popped by a couple of days back, she asked why my house was noticeably cooler than the corridor - and I gave credit to the dehumidifier.

I first found out about dehumidifiers from my godsister: her flat suffers from really bad humidity - to the point of black mold spots appearing at the top of her walls and ceiling. After she and her husband scraped away the mold and repainted the place, they bought dehumidifiers to try lowering the relative humidity, and the mold spots haven't been back for the past 3 years (and counting).

While it is true the windows ought to be kept closed, it's no loss to us because she has a cat, and I don't really like to open the windows anyway for my loathe of dust and potential insects flying in. I do, however, periodically open 2 of my living room windows a few cm just for some fresh air to enter the house.

My unit comes with a continuous drainage pipe, but I prefer to let the water collect into the tank where I then use it to flush my toilet - the 4L tank fills my cistern's tank just nicely. I empty the dehumidifier's tank about 4x a day if I leave the unit running for 24h on laundry mode (the highest fan speed). If I set it to auto whereby the unit regulates itself according to the ambient relative humidity then it's around 2 and a half times a day... but I personally like it on the highest setting so I don't feel so sickeningly sticky at home.

It is a wee bit cumbersome to empty a the tank a few times a day but I've gotten used to it I guess? That, and the slightly higher electricity bills are what I'd count as supposed cons of having a dehumidifier, but I do feel better overall during the day so I'm absolutely not going to complain. :)

Dont let the secret out of the bag , 

I use dehumidifier to keepy.apartment fungus free and mold free. 

When i come into my apartment after work it feels like I am transported to dry cities like Adelaide, Perth, Wagga wagga, where humidity in summer and autumn is like 35 to 45 %  , nice desert like dry air,  Los Angeles is also low humidity, everything clothes, briefs , blankets, mattress all smells fresh and dry . 

Food keep longer too in desert like low humidity . 

I love Los Angeles, Perth , Adelaide, Melbourne  for the dry , humidity weather,  sweat dries  quickly, wet laundry dries quickly and smells fresh for weeks. 

My dehumidifier, I have three units in my apartment, big one in living room , one medium one for my walk in wardribe area cum study and one medium sized one for bedroom. 

Bathroom and wet areas install out ventilation fan, 

Do not but silica based ones, you need to dry them in oven and use and throw away bamboo charcoal ones are a scam , 

I also use Novita UV air steriliser , i have 4 units .

My home is clean like an operating theatre. Sterile , cool and dry. 

Dehumidifiers from Novita and Philips air cleaner sterilisers.

Guest guest
22 hours ago, zyjd said:

The unit spews out warm air, but the overall difference in temperature is barely felt. In fact, when my neighbor popped by a couple of days back, she asked why my house felt noticeably cooler than the corridor - and I gave credit to the dehumidifier.

While it is true the windows ought to be kept closed, it's no loss to us because she has a cat, and I don't really like to open the windows anyway for my loath of dust and potential insects flying in. I do, however, periodically open 2 of my living room windows a few cm for some fresh air to enter the house.

My unit comes with a continuous drainage pipe, but I prefer to let the water collect into the tank where I then use it to flush my toilet - the 4L tank fills my cistern's tank nicely. I empty the dehumidifier's tank about 4x a day if I leave the unit running for 24h on laundry mode (the highest fan speed). If I set it to auto whereby the unit regulates itself according to the ambient relative humidity then it's around 2 and a half times a day... but I personally like it on the highest setting so I don't feel so sickeningly sticky at home.

It is a wee bit cumbersome to empty the tank a few times daily but I've gotten used to it I guess? That, and the slightly higher electricity bills are what I'd count as supposed cons of having a dehumidifier, but I do feel better overall during the day so I'm absolutely not going to complain. :)

I saw Novita dehumidifier but they sell many difference type of model, i also do not know which one should i buy and ended up until now i did not buy one. having dehumidifier in the house, will it become humidity level too low and bad for us instead?

On 5/1/2023 at 11:20 PM, zyjd said:

Thanks so much for your insights. If I may ask …. How many hours do you run your dehumidifier per day? Is it on even when there’s no one home? My plan is to run it only when I’m home. Probably 10 to 12 hours. Air the apt for 20 mins a day …then the windows will be closed as long as the dehumidifier is running. That means the apt will have lowish humidity for about 12 hours a day. During the times that it’s not running … perhaps open a window or two… just a crack.  How does it sound to you? 
 Only if you’re comfortable in answering … in your estimation … how much would the electric bill increase approx if it’s turned on fir 12 hours per day … for a living room that’s approx 70m2. 

Thanks again. 

Edited by chntall54

15 hours ago, radiusulnar said:

can we use the aircon to dehumidify?

Some a/c have dehumidify mode. So check your device. 

I have shared in another thread that a dehumidifier does help a lot to make the living space or bed room more comfortable. You feel less sticky. I tend to run non-stop until the water tank fills up which is about every 2 or 3 days. 

Love. 

I have not made up my mind about getting a large capacity dehumidifier for my living room. However … I did get a Xiaomi humidity meter. The readings shocked me. Without aircon …. Living room on  average day is around 75 to 77 percent. With aircon (in cool mode …not dehumidifying “dry” mode)…it brings down the humidity in the area to 50 percent in a matter of 20 to 30 mins. 

Very similar readings in my bedroom … with different brand and capacity aircon). 

I guess I will still go with dehumidifier as running aircon for so many hours would be cost prohibitive. I’m almost there in deciding to get one. Need to get an idea the difference in electric bill between dehumidifier and aircon though. Can anyone chime in on that? 
Thanks. 

Edited by chntall54

On 5/3/2023 at 1:07 AM, chntall54 said:

in your estimation … how much would the electric bill increase approx if it’s turned on fir 12 hours per day … for a living room that’s approx 70m2. 

my bill increase is around $10 only and I leave it on nearly 24/7.

On 5/2/2023 at 10:21 PM, Guest guest said:

I saw Novita dehumidifier but they sell many difference type of model, i also do not know which one should i buy and ended up until now i did not buy one. having dehumidifier in the house, will it become humidity level too low and bad for us instead?

if the air is dry till the RH is like less than 20% then it's bad for health, but the lowest I've seen the reading on my machine go is only 45%. Don't think it's possible for it to drop below that.

Guest guest
21 hours ago, doncoin said:

I have shared in another thread that a dehumidifier does help a lot to make the living space or bed room more comfortable. You feel less sticky. I tend to run non-stop until the water tank fills up which is about every 2 or 3 days. 

Is dehumidifier can only use in a non air-con environment? I have sensitive nose and easily get block, will dehumidifier help on this?

3 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Is dehumidifier can only use in a non air-con environment? I have sensitive nose and easily get block, will dehumidifier help on this?

Yes. The humidifier can run in non-a/c environment. Basically, it is just sucking the moisture from the surrounding air in the room to make it less humid, hence less sticky. 

No, the dehumidifier won't really help with dust, pollen, or airborne particles. For that, you need an air purifier. 

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

Guest Mofo angmoh

In before the S5380 bugger comes in to say oh thankfully America isn't so humid, no need dehumidifier,

living near equator is very humid, America best, America number 1

Guest guest
18 hours ago, doncoin said:

Yes. The humidifier can run in non-a/c environment. Basically, it is just sucking the moisture from the surrounding air in the room to make it less humid, hence less sticky. 

No, the dehumidifier won't really help with dust, pollen, or airborne particles. For that, you need an air purifier. 

Like that i have to run dehumidifier and air purifier at the same time.

7 hours ago, Guest Mofo angmoh said:

In before the S5380 bugger comes in to say oh thankfully America isn't so humid, no need dehumidifier,

living near equator is very humid, America best, America number 1

LOL!  The S5380 bugger likes to come when he has something intelligent to say.  He won't make your flat more warm and humid.  :lol:

The dehumidifier is like a small air conditioner which cools the air so that its humidity condenses,  and then warms the air again before releasing it.  I never had one, but I imagine that a good dehumidifier also has a filter that purifies the air.

On 5/3/2023 at 12:12 PM, doncoin said:

ALL the usual a/c, running the typical refrigerant cycle, also dehumidify the air. They all have a drainage for the water that condenses on the evaporator.

Instead of a dehumidifier,  could you use a small a/c window unit set to not recirculate the air,  set at a not very cold temperature to only run occasionally to save electricity?

Guest Just buy alr la
11 hours ago, chntall54 said:

Thanks guys for all your input. 
Wah …. Just stopped raining. Humidity bueh tahan. Anyone run their dehumidifier even when no one is home? 

I thought @zyjd alr mentioned he runs his nearly 24/7 even when he's not home? Just buy already la if u can't tarhan the humidity

Mai hee hee haa haa sit on the fence and ask this ask that over here even when sufficient advice has alr been given. Mai liao see kan!

7 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Like that i have to run dehumidifier and air purifier at the same time.

Yes. You are correct. 

Dyson sells an air purifier with a humidifier and fan. Unfortunately, the device does not dehumidify.  

https://www.dyson.com/air-treatment/air-purifier-humidifiers

7 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Instead of a dehumidifier,  could you use a small a/c window unit set to not recirculate the air,  set at a not very cold temperature to only run occasionally to save electricity?

It is difficult for Singapore flats to install window a/c units due to safety reasons. Most of the a/cs sold here are split systems.  Unfortunately, Singapore is humid. The moment the airplane doors open at Changi, you can feel it creeping into the plane. 

Love. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.