Male HQ

How to stay motivated in a company that frequently restructures?

AsianMatureMan

• AsianMatureMan changed the title to How to stay motivated in a company that frequently restructures?
3 hours ago, AsianMatureMan said:

For the lack of a better phrase - ‘restructuring’ means retrenchment because it’s too expensive to run!  No matter how one sugarcoating it, people get the truth behind it.

Motivation shouldn't be coming from your employer. If you cannot find your own motivation to work with your current employer in the first place, why are you still there? At the minimum, you have the skills for your employer, they pay you a salary. Anything more is up to you to figure it out yourself.

If something has no value to you, will you pay that thing to keep it with you and erode your savings? Because it has been loyal?

Singapore has changed too fast and is struggling to find it's feet at this next chapter for the past few years. Under the nicely painted picture is the inevitable till structural changes borne fruits (if it does and when).

In today’s fast changing world, restructuring in company is inevitable. If you are still the kind that hope to be doing the same job for decades without any changes, it’s about time you change your mindset. 
If you still sticking to your old knowledge and refuse to change, you will be replaced. 
There are many ‘hungry’ people out there. 

I'm at that stage where my new learnt knowledge will never be competitive enough compared to a graduate. Let's all be honest, even if you're willing to take a 50% pay cut, your young boss might not be open to someone who have a shorten runway (even though the youngster will leave within 2 years) yet they do not want to hire someone who is not opinionated or have ideas (same thing coming from a old cow vs young cow).

The earlier generation have it good. We have it better but shorter term. The current generation will get the million dollar HDBs. The next ones will live paycheck to paychecks under the gig economy. Next one likely needs 2-3 jobs to not starve (not lacking of examples from other countries).

I honestly don't think that is a good thing. A company who frequently requires to restructure is like having a psychotic boyfriend. Being the last one who sticks around... could mean that you don't have better places to go. Why would you stifle your own personal development to stick with a shit stirring pot? Will the shit simmer till something else eventually?

Big boss is in town this week (new one). Had a chat and i asked how do I (general) pivot to the new roles (general) in the industry. The answer though is that the role does not go away, but it will encompass other roles also. Kinda agree but when you merge roles that's traditionally is very separate, when you're at the less advantageous role moving up, how do you even make up the skills that your competition already brings.

E.g. like a cabinet maker and electrician. The cabinet maker need to acquire the skills of the electrician in the new world (they will be called interior engineers in the new world). One will bring more value than the other, how the hell will you be able to even match the electrician even if you take up courses etc. Perhaps I also give out the wrong vibes that my runway is shorter and things are changing way too fast.

On 6/11/2023 at 4:24 PM, keyboard said:

I'm at that stage where my new learnt knowledge will never be competitive enough compared to a graduate. Let's all be honest, even if you're willing to take a 50% pay cut, your young boss might not be open to someone who have a shorten runway (even though the youngster will leave within 2 years) yet they do not want to hire someone who is not opinionated or have ideas (same thing coming from a old cow vs young cow).

The earlier generation have it good. We have it better but shorter term. The current generation will get the million dollar HDBs. The next ones will live paycheck to paychecks under the gig economy. Next one likely needs 2-3 jobs to not starve (not lacking of examples from other countries).

10 minutes ago, keyboard said:

I honestly don't think that is a good thing. A company who frequently requires to restructure is like having a psychotic boyfriend. Being the last one who sticks around... could mean that you don't have better places to go. Why would you stifle your own personal development to stick with a shit stirring pot? Will the shit simmer till something else eventually?

Big boss is in town this week (new one). Had a chat and i asked how do I (general) pivot to the new roles (general) in the industry. The answer though is that the role does not go away, but it will encompass other roles also. Kinda agree but when you merge roles that's traditionally is very separate, when you're at the less advantageous role moving up, how do you even make up the skills that your competition already brings.

E.g. like a cabinet maker and electrician. The cabinet maker need to acquire the skills of the electrician in the new world (they will be called interior engineers in the new world). One will bring more value than the other, how the hell will you be able to even match the electrician even if you take up courses etc. Perhaps I also give out the wrong vibes that my runway is shorter and things are changing way too fast.

Absolutely love the examples you used in all your posts.  Oh mine, really bring the whole evolution and dilemma to life.  After being through so many restructures, mergers and joint ventures,  it hasn’t made it easier in anyway for me, apart from being more objective, accepting the facts of life and less attached.  I just want to be happy and no one owes me that.

I do thank you too. Only with your post did I actually stop and think about what possibility that the new big boss would want from (me). And i'm glad I kinda got an answer (able to meet their expectations is another thing).

Fret not, I used to tell all the past shit chunks in the pot, nobody will leave in a good company, if someone died there, they will find their relatives/friends to join, so the next job you go to will be another shit pot. Really though, it's not about finding the meaning of life or what you work for/achieve. Happiness is also a concept right, who said we need to "achieve" happiness - it's an instagram thing right, the old version is polaroid photos that you bring around to show off to your six-aunt uncle daughter-in-law mother. But i don't know what a polaroid is ok. I heard it on the news. 

A company that restructures often is a big red flag indicating instability. That means the company may not make enough revenue or secure investments to run the enterprise. You should plan your exit asap. It is not that you lacked motivation. Motivation can only happen in stable environments that you have control over. This is out of your control. So leave as soon as you have a better offer. 

Love. 

1. Give the boss results/ ideas/ projects that make him look good/ get the team to stay ahead of competitors.

2. Always have a back up plan to leave first instead of being booted out, as no employee is indispensable.