Male HQ

Grindr reveals which countries have the most tops and bottoms (2022 survey)

GachiMuchi

A graphic depicting the yellow and black Grindr logo with a purple eggplant/aubergine emoji and a pink peach emoji

Grindr’s annual Unwrapped round-up showcases the countries with the highest percentage of tops, bottoms, sides and versatile users around the world. (Getty/Grindr)

Grindr is spilling all the tea about what’s been trending on the hookup app and which countries have the most tops and bottoms. 

The app’s annual Unwrapped report shared anonymous data about how users access the app – kind of similar to the highly-anticipated tradition of sharing Spotify Wrapped. Grindr’s version revealed its thirsty users’ top searched profile tags as well as the countries boasting the most tops, bottoms, vers, sides and more in the last year. 

Bolivia came out on top (pun intended) on the raunchy ranks of the countries with the highest percentage of tops, according to the report of the app’s millions of users. The USA, South Korea, Greece and India followed swiftly behind. 

Denmark is home to the largest proportion of users who describe themselves as bottoms, helping us get to the bottom of that mystery. Tops can also check out Japan, Serbia, South Africa and Peru if they’re on the search for their match as the countries boast a large number of bottoms. 

Russia, Finland, Croatia, Germany and Taiwan have the highest percentage of versatile users while China, New Zealand, Costa Rica, Australia and Singapore have the highest percentage of sides. 

A mobile phone displays the yellow and black Grindr logo as the phone is tucked into the back pocket of a pair of jeans Bolivia has the highest percentage of users who describe themselves as tops while Denmark boasts the most bottoms, according to Grindr’s 2022 Unwrapped. (Getty)

Grindr found users in Washington DC are the most active on the app, but the city of love Paris was a close second. The most popular time to open up the app for a quick peak was 9pm. 

People most searched for the tags “hung”, “trans”, “feet”, “bb” and “dom” while the most displayed profile tags were “fwb”, “anon”, “kissing”, “bi” and “discreet”. 

Alex Black, Grindr’s director of marketing, said the Unwrapped round-up is a “fun, authentic reflection” of what users “got up to and got into” in 2022, adding “some levity to the end of year madness”. 

“It hasn’t been the easiest year for our community – we’ve had high highs with moments like the passing of the Respect for Marriage Act and Grindr going public, and plenty of low lows with increased transphobic and homophobic legislation and atrocities like the shooting at Club Q,” Black said.

Grindr also surveyed 10,000 users on their favourite queer pop culture moments in 2022. 

EuphoriaHeartstopperWhite Lotus and Abbott Elementary topped best TV shows for Grindr users – all of which deserved the title. Grindr users shared their favourite films were Black Panther: Wakanda ForeverEverything Everywhere All At OnceBrosFire Island and Nope

Unsurprisingly, the absolute bop “Unholy” by Sam Smith and Kim Petras kept users entertained with Beyoncé’s “Alien Superstar” and “Running Up That Hill” by Kate Bush, which was featured in Stranger Things, also being musical highlights of the past year. 

I would appreciate if guys put a sort of bio/ profile description into their profile. Recently, more guys leave everything empty.

And they should also mention what they are and even if they prefer "side" only (what others call light fun), because otherwise it is just time wasting to ask all these basics..

The question is whether such survey by Grindr is representative at all.

In plenty of countries guys mention "top" because it seems so bad for the image to put btm into your profile. (surely not the European or American continent ones)

When you come across those countries it is amazing how many tops suddenly transform to bottoms...

2 hours ago, ExoticTop said:

Wow nice to know I’m no alone preferring Masturbation and 69 to anal.

I’ll still introduce myself as “versatile too” though haha

But your nick says you are a top 

1 hour ago, Guest Lol said:

But your nick says you are a top 

I meant “versatile top” - typo!

Unfortunately in Grindr I only see “Top” “Bottom” “Versatile top” “Versatile bottom” and “no penetration”

There’s no “side” option and some would argue that 69 or tongue fucking your partner’s ass are all forms of penetration, so I never know where to fit. I also top, but only my regular as I prefer raw when it comes to anal.

20 hours ago, ExoticTop said:

I meant “versatile top” - typo!

Unfortunately in Grindr I only see “Top” “Bottom” “Versatile top” “Versatile bottom” and “no penetration”

There’s no “side” option and some would argue that 69 or tongue fucking your partner’s ass are all forms of penetration, so I never know where to fit. I also top, but only my regular as I prefer raw when it comes to anal.

You might run an outdated version???

Grindr, the world's largest dating app for queer men, has now added an option to be a 'side' alongside top, bottom, or versatile. For queer people who enjoy sex but for various reasons do not enjoy anal sex, there's a fourth option – side.15 May 2022

Grindr adds new ‘side’ option alongside top, bottom and versatile
16th May 2022

Grindr has added a new position called ‘side’ that users can display on their profile instead of top, bottom or versatile.

It refers to those who do not enjoy anal sex

Edited by singalion

Boi zun one lah this survey... just see all the Grindr ppl who put "vers top" when they're actually pure bottoms. Or ppl who dun even know what they are and anyhow put... I've come across ppl who put "Bottom" but tell me they never got fucked before. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 2:08 AM, singalion said:

Grindr, the world's largest dating app for queer men, has now added an option to be a 'side' alongside top, bottom, or versatile. For queer people who enjoy sex but for various reasons do not enjoy anal sex, there's a fourth option – side.15 May 2022

Grindr adds new ‘side’ option alongside top, bottom and versatile
16th May 2022

Grindr has added a new position called ‘side’ that users can display on their profile instead of top, bottom or versatile.

It refers to those who do not enjoy anal sex

OH!  This is amazing World News!   How come I didn't read in the New York Times,  or in my local newspaper, or saw it in the 6PM world news?   :D

9 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

OH!  This is amazing World News!   How come I didn't read in the New York Times,  or in my local newspaper, or saw it in the 6PM world news?   :D

It is amazing as long as the people on the apps use these categories. Lately, more and more profiles on the apps are  plain empty.

The 2nd problem I see is that in certain countries in the region, people used "side" on their profile but without knowing what it stands for...

I guess this top or bottom thing is running through human kind since the Neanderthals. 

Everyone can engage the way he prefers to have sex.

My favourites are those who put up something into their profile, but actually never engaged into what they wrote.

Like putting up "bottom" but never having had any anal sex.

I use to ask these guys how they actually know that they are bottoms.

It boils also down to cultures. In the Middle East or India you just aren't a bottom, which means many profile indications are misleading...

I experience this as I receive plenty of approaches but their profile indicate top, which I am not searching at all.

Some of the Middle East guys therefore prefer to put up "top" as the position category...

The other is when now with the new category "side", guys indicate that one but then tell you, "today they feel like to be bottomed"...

Ok... which means even with all these categories, it doesn't mean that the indication on the profile on the apps is accurate...

8 hours ago, singalion said:

I guess this top or bottom thing is running through human kind since the Neanderthals. 

It is doubtful that the Neanderthals specified their sexual preferences in their profiles.  But...  one never knows...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.