Male HQ

Is "Now and Then" really a Beatles song?

singalion

John Lennon recorded the song in his home in 1977 just by piano and singing on a demo version. The song was never released.

The Beatles had broken up in late 60s (1968/1969), the exact date of break up is not certain.

There was never any reunion to start as Beatles again after 1970.

Story on the song/ how it came to the other Beatles:

In 1994 Lennon's widow Yoko Ono gave a tape of Lennon's recordings to George Harrison of a number of songs that Lennon never released commercially or had completed.

The Lennon demo also had technical issues, there were overdubs and a technical humming sound that could not be reduced (until recently).

But “Now and Then” proved more difficult to work with. In the original recording, Lennon had the TV on in the background, and a hissing sound diminished the quality.

A second issue was that voice of Lennon and the piano part could not be separated from the demo tape.

But:

Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings director) created some technology that was able to separate voice and music.

Jackson was able to extricate John's voice from a ropey little bit of cassette.

Some call this technology "AI " but I m not sure it would really fall under the category of AI, as technology just managed to separate voice and instruments.

To create the final version:

McCartney and Starr worked on finishing the song last year.

The final version of “Now and Then” features all four Beatles—including Lennon’s vocals, electric and acoustic guitar recorded by Harrison in 1995, a new drum part from Starr, and bass, guitar and piano from McCartney. The two living band members recorded backing vocals, and McCartney added a slide guitar solo played in Harrison’s style.

A string arrangement for the new track was composed by McCartney, Ben Foster and Giles Martin, the son of the Beatles’ former producer George Martin, who wrote orchestral parts that were hallmarks of the band’s sound. The song includes backing vocals from the original recordings of “Here, There and Everywhere,” “Eleanor Rigby” and “Because.”

The "Beatles" version:

What's your point?

Can we consider this a true Beatles song?

Edited by singalion

Technically, it shouldn’t be considered a Beatles song since it was written after the disbandment. As such, whatever songs Lennon (or any ex-member) wrote should be regarded as their individual work.

Of course it’s possible for any of the members to write songs (as a soloist) with the hope of having the original band record it some day but I think this needs to be expressly communicated. We don’t know Lennon’s original intent but the final song released implies the collective agreement of Lennon’s widow and the surviving band members for it to be recognised as a Beatles song. 

I think for a case like this the issues involved include royalties and legacy. Yoko Ono has chosen, for whatever reasons, to release the song under the Beatles name and management. It seems to me that the legacy of the band as a whole is more important to her. I could be totally mistaken, of course, but that’s just my interpretation of the facts presented here. 

I didn’t know about this new song so thanks for sharing. 

Edited by AMLatte
corrected spelling error

1 hour ago, AMLatte said:

Technically, it shouldn’t be considered a Beatles song since it was written after the disbandment. As such, whatever songs Lennon (or any ex-member) wrote should be regarded as their individual work.

Of course it’s possible for any of the members to write songs (as a soloist) with the hope of having the original band record it some day but I think this needs to be expressly communicated. We don’t know Lennon’s original intent but the final song released implies the collective agreement of Lennon’s widow and the surviving band members for it to be recognised as a Beatles song. 

I think for a case like this the issues involved include royalties and legacy. Yoko Ono has chosen, for whatever reasons, to release the song under the Beatles name and management. It seems to me that the legacy of the band as a whole is more important to her. I could be totally mistaken, of course, but that’s just my interpretation of the facts presented here. 

I didn’t know about this new song so thanks for sharing. 

Surely, the approval to work on the song must have been from Yoko Ono and the children of Lennon, as they hold the rights on the Lennon songs.

If you look at the "production" of this song, then the Beatles guys didn't really work on it together.

George Harrison had no say, as he died in 2001. Yes, he played some parts on the 1995 sessions, when McCartney and Starr recorded the other 2 songs from the Lennon tape and they tried to play also "Now and Then".

If you listen to the tape, the vocals and  song text had been much different. This "I don't want to lose you" vocal part has gone.

Regarding Yoko Ono and her motivation: Maybe guilt feelings? the 3 others attributed her relationship with Lennon as one of the factors for the split up. But it was probably just one of the many puzzles for the break up of the Beatles. Her net worth is estimated between 400 to 800 million USD (it says the inheritance had a worth of 300 mil USD).

The scary thing is that now with technology, existing band members can just take any rehearsal tape from a band's song writer and create a new song under the band label... even if the band broke up.

Another question is why Paul McCartney was so eager to release the song... He surely doesn't need the monies.  (it says he own 1.2 billion USD).

When the dead are referenced, unfortunately, we can only speculate as to their motives and intentions. Upon their passing, their families and/or legal team holds the rights to how their wishes are (hopefully) carried out.

We will never probably never know what the conversations surrounding the development of this song were truly like; but I can hazard a guess that for all who are connected to a famous name or estate, it is to their benefit that the fame stays relevant and, most importantly, profitable. I can see why this song took the journey it did to eventually be released in this final form. 

The Record company of the Beatles  has been working on platforms on the removal of all the original versions of John Lennon's "Now and then" demo tape videos...

Maybe because of too much critic on the 2023 later version.

While the John Lennon Demo of Now and Then from 1977 lingered around on the internet for more than 15 years, now in 2023 that record company Universal acted against the publications on the internet

The video starts with the old original version

I found a last video that compares both songs. But not sure how long it will remain on youtube. haha

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.