Male HQ

More hawkers turning to lower-sodium salt as HPB intensifies push

• G_M changed the title to More hawkers turning to lower-sodium salt as HPB intensifies push
  • 1 month later...

Actually, the hawkers should leave any additional salt out of the dishes and leave adding salt to the patrons.

Many food stalls have extremely salty food.

The salt intake from any food per day is sufficient, nobody needs to eat salty dishes from hawker stalls.

Just take the anchovies fried rice, the salt in the fish is already adding more salt to your body than what you should intake health wise per day.

I'm very sure, some weird Guest will add some salty comment after my post. Just ignore him, ... I don't think anyone can help with persons having mental issues.

Guest Guest
9 hours ago, singalion said:

Actually, the hawkers should leave any additional salt out of the dishes and leave adding salt to the patrons.

The salt intake from any food per day is sufficient, nobody needs to eat salty dishes from hawker stalls.

Just take the anchovies fried rice, the salt in the fish is already adding more salt to your body than what you should intake health wise per day.

I'm very sure, some weird Guest will add some salty comment after my post. Just ignore him, ... I don't think anyone can help with persons having mental issues.

Everyone knows better than to take health advice from someone who isn't a doctor or nutritionist but a liar who tends to exaggerate, twist facts and post in every thread regardless of whether his opinion is actually appreciated.

12 hours ago, singalion said:

Salt will include MSG, soya sauce and all the salty ingredients eg salted vegetables.

With more people having high blood pressure, hpb needs to do something about it

Guest Training

It is difficult to stay away from salt & sugar unless you prepare your own food at home.    I enjoy making simple meals that aren't sweet nor salty and that have spices as substitutes instead.   Remember that sugar and salt can be highly addicting to your taste buds. Your tongue needs to be trained to tolerate a bland diet.  I have successfully trained my tongue to rebel sugar. if I resumed sugar intake, my body will protest by giving me headache, thirst, and nightmare among other surprises.  As for salt, complete avoidance is not possible, but you can minimise the intake becaue our body needs salt to keep us hydrated. 

Guest Guest
11 minutes ago, Guest Training said:

It is difficult to stay away from salt & sugar unless you prepare your own food at home.    I enjoy making simple meals that aren't sweet nor salty and that have spices as substitutes instead.   Remember that sugar and salt can be highly addicting to your taste buds. Your tongue needs to be trained to tolerate a bland diet.  I have successfully trained my tongue to rebel sugar. if I resumed sugar intake, my body will protest by giving me headache, thirst, and nightmare among other surprises.  As for salt, complete avoidance is not possible, but you can minimise the intake becaue our body needs salt to keep us hydrated. 

Agreed, if you eat outside foods, even you eat the so called healtier food outside, the food still might have high salt, sugar and MSG in them. Difficult to avoid if eat outside foods. Home cooked food surely more healthy, due to you can control the amount seasoning in the food, and how you cook the food.

True that if your body already get used to bland diet, your body will protest by making you feel unwell. Like me now i avoid eating sweet food, so if i now eat sweet food or very sweet food, i would feel like my blood has stop moving and would feel dizzy.

Guest Training
16 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

True that if your body already get used to bland diet, your body will protest by making you feel unwell. Like me now i avoid eating sweet food, so if i now eat sweet food or very sweet food, i would feel like my blood has stop moving and would feel dizzy.

I understand how you felt following a sugary meal. If I eat too much salt, my heart will start to palpate too. If you were to season your food with salt, it would be ideal to use raw sea salt (that comes with natural minerals) rather than heavily processed bleached salt.

When SUBWAY initially ran its ads, I used to believe that they served healthful meals. Now, if I were to dine at SUBWAY, I would advise the server not to add any dressing, and I frequently get a blank look in return, along with the question "IS THAT IT??" as though I am some strange person who doesn't put anything appetizing on my salad burger.

1 hour ago, Hungrybtms2 said:

Anything less, will cost more...less sugar, less salt..... 

This I also don't understand: The government promotes less to zero sugar and less salt but drinks at supermarkets sugarfree are more expensive compared to the drinks with sugar... 

1 hour ago, singalion said:

This I also don't understand: The government promotes less to zero sugar and less salt but drinks at supermarkets sugarfree are more expensive compared to the drinks with sugar... 

same as vegetarian food, cost more than any othern without mean , just because the word is printed vegetarian......simply outrageous

Guest Healthy Cheap
9 hours ago, singalion said:

Why the hassle?  I carry a small bottle of mineral water whenever I am outside, cost me only 50 cents.

Guest Cheating
40 minutes ago, funky beaver said:

I had the perception that hawkers in Singapore are more health conscious (less salt, less oil). 

Healthy foods are not delicious.  Delicious foods are not healthy.   As hawker, do you want to lose your customer?

2 hours ago, Guest Cheating said:

Healthy foods are not delicious.  Delicious foods are not healthy.   As hawker, do you want to lose your customer?

That is the problem. Too many people indulge in food too much. It should be a mindset of eat to live and not vice versa.

Eating too much or too unhealthly generally causes diseases. Why are people not seeing this?

Guest Guest
On 2/22/2024 at 10:07 PM, Guest Training said:

I understand how you felt following a sugary meal. If I eat too much salt, my heart will start to palpate too. If you were to season your food with salt, it would be ideal to use raw sea salt (that comes with natural minerals) rather than heavily processed bleached salt.

When SUBWAY initially ran its ads, I used to believe that they served healthful meals. Now, if I were to dine at SUBWAY, I would advise the server not to add any dressing, and I frequently get a blank look in return, along with the question "IS THAT IT??" as though I am some strange person who doesn't put anything appetizing on my salad burger.

Some of the stuff in Subway does not say healthy, as the meats are processed meat and they also serve sugary drinks.

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, funky beaver said:

That is the problem. Too many people indulge in food too much. It should be a mindset of eat to live and not vice versa.

Eating too much or too unhealthly generally causes diseases. Why are people not seeing this?

Even people know eating unhealthy food causes diseases, but nowadays most people eat all their meals outside, how to avoid even know they know is unhealthy. 

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Even people know eating unhealthy food causes diseases, but nowadays most people eat all their meals outside, how to avoid even know they know is unhealthy. 

I do believe there is misconception that eating out is unhealthy.

What is truely unhealthy is:-

- eating too large a portion.

- unbalanced nutrition; too much carbs, too little fibre.

- high GI food.

So, when eating out, bear those in mind.

8 hours ago, funky beaver said:

- high GI food.

Bring friends to lean bento. 

Guest Guest
13 hours ago, funky beaver said:

- high GI food.

When eating outside food, not easy to avoid or achieve the 3 points you have mentioned. Many times i also do not know how to eat outside foods but to avoid too much carbs and high GI food.

People believe eating out is unhealthy also due to the sauce and oil that the stall owners used. Example like cai png, i think the way they prepare and cook the dishes are not very healthy even for veggies.

It's one of the reasons why SG hawker food is not as good as MY/TH/VIET etc.

They can use all sorts of rubbish but there's only so much you can produce with palm oil, less sugar/salt/msg..

On 2/21/2024 at 6:23 AM, Guest Guest said:

Everyone knows better than to take health advice from someone who isn't a doctor or nutritionist but a liar who tends to exaggerate, twist facts and post in every thread regardless of whether his opinion is actually appreciated.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA so i'm not the only one who feels the same way.

+65 9090 four four nine six (WA), fourthandthird (Line)

Tiong Bahru market vicinity

$80 / hr - tui na + minor fixing + bone setting (if necessary)

$35 (approx 15 mins + -) - 抓根 Zhua Gen ($5 bundling discount applies when not done stand-alone)

$50 flat rate - treatment of lower back / disc herniation issues. Add $10 for additional area.
Gua sha - $15

$36 bonesetting-and-go (5 - 10 mins)

Daily 10am to 10pm last appt but please text in advance. Special early / ultra late appts are possible, just book in advance.

Please keep your mask on 😃

Guest No More Excuses!!!

Now hawker food very expensive and offer us  us the excuse to prepare our own food for work.  No more excuse of eating more salt, more sugar, more carb and high in GI stuff.   Should create a new topic on how to "PREPARE OUR OWN FOOD FOR THE ROAD".

Guest Guest
10 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Hawker food is prolific in Palm oil and mono sodium glutamate. Buyers beware.

This is why if you eat outside for all your meals or too often, your cholesterol, sugar level and blood pressure surely no good, esp if you anyhow eat.

10 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Hawker food is prolific in Palm oil and mono sodium glutamate. Buyers beware.

The question to me would be if other restaurants or the upscale food courts are better? I doubt so.

Most of the food here is probably to an amount unhealthier, even if you go to a $$ restaurant.

Guest Guest
On 2/28/2024 at 9:57 PM, singalion said:

The question to me would be if other restaurants or the upscale food courts are better? I doubt so.

Most of the food here is probably to an amount unhealthier, even if you go to a $$ restaurant.

No wonder so many people nowadays have so many health issues even they are not that old.

Guest Guest
14 minutes ago, auscent said:

I find outside food generally unhealthy. Prefers to cook on my own. I always blanch/boil vege and never add salt-oil, for instance.

Never add oil/salt? Our body still need some oil/salt, cannot be zero oil/salt.

11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Never add oil/salt? Our body still need some oil/salt, cannot be zero oil/salt.

Salt and oil only in home cooked meat, and outside dishes

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.