Male HQ

Jennifer Lopez tour cancelled because of poor ticket sales

Guest Big Big Booty

Guest Jlow

I like JLo but she is arguably the only A-list entertainer that doesn't really have a fan base.

Some may say it's because JLo is past her prime but even during her prime, did JLo really have fans?

Mariah has her lambs and Beyonce has her Beyhive but JLO?

I think Jlo was just really lucky to have a few hit songs and hit movies but that never translated to a devoted fanbase.

Despite her lack of fans, she has still managed to pass herself off as an A-Lister but the embarassing flop of her new album, movie and tour is exposing her for what she really is - an entertainer that just got lucky but was never able to truly connect with the public.

Guest Big Big Booty
39 minutes ago, Guest Jlow said:

I like JLo but she is arguably the only A-list entertainer that doesn't really have a fan base.

Some may say it's because JLo is past her prime but even during her prime, did JLo really have fans?

Mariah has her lambs and Beyonce has her Beyhive but JLO?

I think Jlo was just really lucky to have a few hit songs and hit movies but that never translated to a devoted fanbase.

Despite her lack of fans, she has still managed to pass herself off as an A-Lister but the embarassing flop of her new album, movie and tour is exposing her for what she really is - an entertainer that just got lucky but was never able to truly connect with the public.

I love your remarks .

There was some talk she "stole" songs meant for other female singers or even pass their vocals as her own.

Guest Big Big Booty

JLO's Singing Career A Scam? Top Songs Jennifer Lopez Vocally Stole From Other Artists

One of my challenges with JLo generally is that she does not evolve or grow with her fan base. She started nearly 25 years ago, and she stayed more or less in the same place. Even the way she looks, I give her credit for maintaining her appearance, but still, there is no evolution when it comes to her. She acted mostly in rom-coms, with a few exceptions. Her music sounded much the same from one album to the next. She doesn't experiment, save for that silly documentary she self-funded.

When we think of the more successful entertainers like Madonna, Beyonce, etc. they evolve. They experiment. Beyonce even went outside her core music genre of R&B pop, to country recently. Madonna did the same, she experimented with different sounds from classic pop in her early days to electronica with Ray of Light, Latin fusion with Madam X... JLo to me is stuck as an artiste. I give her points for consistency and effort to stay relevant, but unfortunately, as a pop consumer, she falls to the bottom of my list. 

JLo hasn't been Jenny from the Block since she got On the 6 train and left Bronx. 

Love. 

Guest Big Big Booty
5 hours ago, doncoin said:

One of my challenges with JLo generally is that she does not evolve or grow with her fan base. She started nearly 25 years ago, and she stayed more or less in the same place. Even the way she looks, I give her credit for maintaining her appearance, but still, there is no evolution when it comes to her. She acted mostly in rom-coms, with a few exceptions. Her music sounded much the same from one album to the next. She doesn't experiment, save for that silly documentary she self-funded.

When we think of the more successful entertainers like Madonna, Beyonce, etc. they evolve. They experiment. Beyonce even went outside her core music genre of R&B pop, to country recently. Madonna did the same, she experimented with different sounds from classic pop in her early days to electronica with Ray of Light, Latin fusion with Madam X... JLo to me is stuck as an artiste. I give her points for consistency and effort to stay relevant, but unfortunately, as a pop consumer, she falls to the bottom of my list. 

JLo hasn't been Jenny from the Block since she got On the 6 train and left Bronx. 

So she's a one trick pony , huh?

Finally a thread where you can bitch around and indulge in gossip. 

Some people say Lady G stole the brand of Madonna also... 

There always copy cats...

Jennifer, Whitney, Maria, the song style has a similar pattern. Sort of female voice with orchestral rock, pop behind the voice. 

I assume Jennifer came to age also.  The concert goers of today 20-30s don't relate to her. 

Guest Guess
27 minutes ago, singalion said:

Finally a thread where you can bitch around and indulge in gossip. 

Some people say Lady G stole the brand of Madonna also... 

There always copy cats...

Jennifer, Whitney, Maria, the song style has a similar pattern. Sort of female voice with orchestral rock, pop behind the voice. 

I assume Jennifer came to age also.  The concert goers of today 20-30s don't relate to her. 

Well honey, have you forgotten the one I started earlier on Mariah Carey? You not only bitched but contributed fat pictures of her. :lol: 

You quite wrong leh, Miss, about Jenny, Whitney and Mariah having the similar musical styles.

JLO - more Latin, hip hop, rap, R&B

Whitney - largely white pop consisting of dance pop and ballads. She only changed her style with the My Love Is Your Love album.

Mariah - white washed ballads and dance tunes for Sony. After that, a more urban, hip hop , black style eg Emancipation of Mimi.

Sorry but Lopez started more on disco / dance sounds area, the hip hop, rap came much later in with her more recent records.

The early music was her voice next to disco / dance music.

the music that bars and clubs, even hip restaurants (beach restaurants on Sentosa) used to play from 6pm to 9pm.

You need to look at the time also: Whitney and Mariah were stars about 8 to 10 years earlier. Music evolves also, if you didn't know.

The style I was referring to is a more present vocalist.

Lopez voice by all means doesn't come close to Whitney or Mariah. let's be honest on that.

Personally, I don't think Lopez even has a good strong voice.

She probably had a good song writer to catch the tunes of that era.

Lopez was out on these ticky tocky ticky tick tok disco hit style of the 2000s. Meaning that disco beat at the background.

You really think Withney and Mariah aren't the same genre?

Both to me are the exactly same genre...

vocalist music with the pop style soft rock music love ballads.

Edited by singalion

Guest Guess
1 hour ago, singalion said:

Sorry but Lopez started more on disco / dance sounds area, the hip hop, rap came much later in with her more recent records.

The early music was her voice next to disco / dance music.

the music that bars and clubs, even hip restaurants (beach restaurants on Sentosa) used to play from 6pm to 9pm.

You need to look at the time also: Whitney and Mariah were stars about 8 to 10 years earlier. Music evolves also, if you didn't know.

Lopez voice by all means doesn't come close to Whitney or Mariah. let's be honest on that.

Personally, I don't think Lopez even has a good strong voice.

She probably had a good song writer to catch the tunes of that era.

Lopez was out on these ticky tocky ticky tick tok disco hit style of the 2000s. Meaning that disco beat at the background.

Lopez's first album On The 6 was more like a Gloria Estefan album. Latin pop.

When her second album JLo did not sell as well, Sony released a version of the album that included I'm Real Murder Remix with the rapper. Sales increased which prompted Sony to release a remix album J To Tha L-O : The Remixes. It was another No 1. 

So the JLo blend became, dance, Latin, Hip, Hop, Rap.

I do agree with you, in a sense that Whitney and Mariah are like Pepsi and Coke. They overlap.

But Whitney is perceived to be doing more of white music, which the Soul Train awards booed her for selling out. But she is so successful  as she sings white music so well and did not even need to crossover.

Mariah is somewhat more R&B. 

I still preferred them doing white music. eg Whitney's first two albums and the Bodyguard. Don't really like I'm Your Baby Tonite.

And Mariah's Sony days. But I did not really like Butterfly and Rainbow. MC started to include more rap.

After they both started to do black music.  I still like Whitney but not so much Mariah.

About music evolution, one wrong step and the artist loses fans. Eg when Debbie did the R&B Anything Is Possible. 

I like Barbra Streisand. She never goes with the trends. So you know what to expect. Did you know this?

The singer has a right to artistic integrity but they might want to consider what their fanbase can stomach. Did you know this?

Past or present not so important. It is what you like listening to - that's important. Did you know this?

Guest Guess

You really think Withney and Mariah aren't the same genre?

Both to me are the exactly same genre...

Based on these two songs only? Then of course , they are the same genre. :lol: 

Guest Guess

Trying to reframe your point?

Hmmm. Term " Present vocalist."

JLo - no new release

Whitney - Of course we understand she's not around to do new material.

Marah - Newest was All I Want For Christmas is you - That's pop.

I said it.

Look if you just prefer to engage in quarrels on BW, then go ahead...

I m not into quarreling here. But I can have my own view on things and surely have a right to post it on BW.

Guest Guess
11 minutes ago, singalion said:

I said it.

Look if you just prefer to engage in quarrels on BW, then go ahead...

I m not into quarreling here. But I can have my own view on things and surely have a right to post it on BW.

What evidence do you have that I am quarrelling?

I am merely explaining my viewpoints. A right that you stated. 

Please read fully and carefully all my 3 replies to you.

Interesting to note within this thread, how much hatred other people can put into pop stars they utterly dislike.

I mean, it's just music, nobody forces you to listen to Jennifer Lopez songs, buy her records or visit her concerts...

Appears very scary to me that certain people can run into such an amount of hatred... just on a pop starlet. 😱

Guest Guess
42 minutes ago, singalion said:

Interesting to note within this thread, how much hatred other people can put into pop stars they utterly dislike.

I mean, it's just music, nobody forces you to listen to Jennifer Lopez songs, buy her records or visit her concerts...

Appears very scary to me that certain people can run into such an amount of hatred... just on a pop starlet. 😱

Why are you suck a hypocrite?

You come in and disa JLo and on my other thread on Carey, you mocked hee overweight issues.

Now come and act like a sanctimonious saint.

Nobody's fooled except you. Self deception works for you, ya? 🤣👏👍

Foreigner pretending to be local. Cheh.

Guest Big Big Booty

Jennifer Lopez faces major career setback: 'She is devastated'

Jennifer Lopez feels 'humiliated' as her new projects left fans unimpressed

Jennifer Lopez faces major career setback: 'She is devastated'

Jennifer Lopez feels 'humiliated' as her new projects left fans unimpressed

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/1174622-jennifer-lopez-faces-major-career-setback-she-is-devastatedhttps://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/1174622-jennifer-lopez-faces-major-career-setback-she-is-devastated

Guest Industry Plant

JLo is essentially what the kids today would call an 'Industry Plant'.

An Industry Plant is someone's whose success is attributed to their industry connections.

Basically, they are 'stars' who are forced onto the public.

JLo got her big break through Selena. That was what got her noticed by Tommy Mottola, the head of Sony and Mariah's ex-husband.

During that time, Tommy and Mariah were going through a divorce and Tommy was fixated on destroying Mariah's career.

For some weird af reason, Tommy saw JLo as someone who could replace Mariah.

Tommy stole Mariah's songs for JLo, and he even modelled JLo's image after Mariah, which is why Mariah hates JLo so much.

After Tommy, JLo started dating Puff Daddy, another music mogul.

So the 'peak' of JLo's success can be attributed to Tommy and Diddy's backing.

But industry plant success is not real success. It doesn't lead to a strong fanbase.

Notice how even during JLo's prime, she never had a real fanbase.

JLo herself said in her documentary that nobody is clamoring for a JLo record.

But I guess decades of success have built up her ego, so much so she decided to self-finance this entire project.

Without industry backing, she is flopping hard, which is not surprising because she was an industry plant to begin with.

In Singapore, the closest example of an Industry Plant is Sun Ho.

Before the whole church scandal blew up, Sun Ho was lauded for her achievements; charting on Billboard and being invited to the Grammys.

In the end, the trial exposed the church was the one buying up all her records and bribing artists to work with her.

So I don't think it's about JLo not evolving as an artist.

There are a lot of artists who don't really evolve but enjoy sucess over the years.

Adele, Britney and Kylie are all pop stars who have enjoyed success making the same type of music from album to album.

The difference between them and JLo is their success isn't so dependent on industry backing.

JLo's flop is because currently, she doesn't have that strong industry backing anymore so an industry plant without industry backing will obviously flop.

Guest Patreeek
8 hours ago, Guest Celeb said:

They said those obsessed with celebrities usually have very low IQ

It's like saying people in the military, or those who deal with machines lack soft skills.

Guest Big Big Booty
On 4/4/2024 at 6:32 PM, Guest Industry Plant said:

JLo is essentially what the kids today would call an 'Industry Plant'.

An Industry Plant is someone's whose success is attributed to their industry connections.

Basically, they are 'stars' who are forced onto the public.

JLo got her big break through Selena. That was what got her noticed by Tommy Mottola, the head of Sony and Mariah's ex-husband.

During that time, Tommy and Mariah were going through a divorce and Tommy was fixated on destroying Mariah's career.

For some weird af reason, Tommy saw JLo as someone who could replace Mariah.

Tommy stole Mariah's songs for JLo, and he even modelled JLo's image after Mariah, which is why Mariah hates JLo so much.

After Tommy, JLo started dating Puff Daddy, another music mogul.

So the 'peak' of JLo's success can be attributed to Tommy and Diddy's backing.

But industry plant success is not real success. It doesn't lead to a strong fanbase.

Notice how even during JLo's prime, she never had a real fanbase.

JLo herself said in her documentary that nobody is clamoring for a JLo record.

But I guess decades of success have built up her ego, so much so she decided to self-finance this entire project.

Without industry backing, she is flopping hard, which is not surprising because she was an industry plant to begin with.

In Singapore, the closest example of an Industry Plant is Sun Ho.

Before the whole church scandal blew up, Sun Ho was lauded for her achievements; charting on Billboard and being invited to the Grammys.

In the end, the trial exposed the church was the one buying up all her records and bribing artists to work with her.

So I don't think it's about JLo not evolving as an artist.

There are a lot of artists who don't really evolve but enjoy sucess over the years.

Adele, Britney and Kylie are all pop stars who have enjoyed success making the same type of music from album to album.

The difference between them and JLo is their success isn't so dependent on industry backing.

JLo's flop is because currently, she doesn't have that strong industry backing anymore so an industry plant without industry backing will obviously flop.

Jenny's last couple of albums were what the record label &  press tactfully called "moderate success".

The current single don't sound good. Little wonder people ignored the album.

Guest Big Big Booty
On 4/4/2024 at 6:32 PM, Guest Industry Plant said:

Jenny's last few albums was what the record label & press tactfully described as "moderate success". 

The current single don't sound good. Little wonder people ignored the album.

• 2 weeks later...

To add more salt into your Monday blues:

Jennifer Lopez’s New Album Is The Lowest-Charting Of Her Career

Mar 1, 2024,

Jennifer Lopez returned to her musical roots last month with her latest album, This Is Me… Now. The set was one of the more highly-anticipated full-lengths of 2024, or at least that’s how it appeared before the title dropped. Following its first full tracking frame of availability, the project has reached the Billboard charts–and it did not perform as well as the singer had hoped.

This Is Me… Now debuts on the Billboard 200, the all-encompassing ranking of the most-consumed albums in the U.S., at No. 38. According to Luminate, which gathers music consumption data and shares it with Billboard to power the weekly charts, the set moved 18,701 equivalent units in its first week of availability.

As it launches at No. 38–just barely inside the top 40–This Is Me… Now instantly becomes the lowest-charting title on the Billboard 200 of Lopez’s career. Looking at only traditional solo studio albums, it easily breaks the record previously set by her 2007’s Brave as her lowest-debuting title. That set made headlines when it failed to reach the top 10 more than a decade ago. The project started, and stalled, at No. 12.

Except for both This Is Me… Now and Brave, all of Lopez’s solo albums have reached the top 10 on the Billboard 200. This Is Me… Then, which served as inspiration for this new collection, rose as high as the runner-up rung back in 2002. Her last release, 2014’s A.K.A., even managed to climb to No. 8.

Several other Lopez projects have failed to reach the top 10, but they’re not counted as solo studio albums of original material. In 2012, Dance Again... the Hits only rose as high as No. 20. Her Marry Me full-length with Maluma, which served as a soundtrack that accompanied the film of the same name, peaked at No. 135 on the tally.

While This Is Me… Now did underperform on the Billboard 200, it has become a quick success on other rankings. The set opens at No. 1 on the Top Album Sales chart this week. Lopez’s project is now her third leader on the purchase-only roster, and it arrives in first place with 14,356 copies sold.

Guest Big Big Booty
7 hours ago, singalion said:

To add more salt into your Monday blues:

Jennifer Lopez’s New Album Is The Lowest-Charting Of Her Career

Mar 1, 2024,

Jennifer Lopez returned to her musical roots last month with her latest album, This Is Me… Now. The set was one of the more highly-anticipated full-lengths of 2024, or at least that’s how it appeared before the title dropped. Following its first full tracking frame of availability, the project has reached the Billboard charts–and it did not perform as well as the singer had hoped.

This Is Me… Now debuts on the Billboard 200, the all-encompassing ranking of the most-consumed albums in the U.S., at No. 38. According to Luminate, which gathers music consumption data and shares it with Billboard to power the weekly charts, the set moved 18,701 equivalent units in its first week of availability.

As it launches at No. 38–just barely inside the top 40–This Is Me… Now instantly becomes the lowest-charting title on the Billboard 200 of Lopez’s career. Looking at only traditional solo studio albums, it easily breaks the record previously set by her 2007’s Brave as her lowest-debuting title. That set made headlines when it failed to reach the top 10 more than a decade ago. The project started, and stalled, at No. 12.

Except for both This Is Me… Now and Brave, all of Lopez’s solo albums have reached the top 10 on the Billboard 200. This Is Me… Then, which served as inspiration for this new collection, rose as high as the runner-up rung back in 2002. Her last release, 2014’s A.K.A., even managed to climb to No. 8.

Several other Lopez projects have failed to reach the top 10, but they’re not counted as solo studio albums of original material. In 2012, Dance Again... the Hits only rose as high as No. 20. Her Marry Me full-length with Maluma, which served as a soundtrack that accompanied the film of the same name, peaked at No. 135 on the tally.

While This Is Me… Now did underperform on the Billboard 200, it has become a quick success on other rankings. The set opens at No. 1 on the Top Album Sales chart this week. Lopez’s project is now her third leader on the purchase-only roster, and it arrives in first place with 14,356 copies sold.

Your article missed mentioning the album only stayed in the Billboard 200 for ONE week. It disappeared from the charts the next week.

8 minutes ago, Guest Big Big Booty said:

Your article missed mentioning the album only stayed in the Billboard 200 for ONE week. It disappeared from the charts the next week.

But overall it flopped.

There was hype on the one week but then...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.