Male HQ

Teochew Porridge

With age catching up, I am starting to appreciate Teochew Porridge more and more. Saw this article recommending 4 Teochew Porridge Stalls at Upper Serangoon. Anyone have other good Teochew Porridge Stalls to recommend.

----------------------------------------

Porridge paradise in Upper Serangoon - The New Paper - Mon Mar 30 2009 Hedy Khoo

http://www.soshiok.com/articles/12237/

4 porridge places side by side at Upper Serangoon.

Singapore, March 29, 2009 - JUST a short distance away from the 'crab zone' is the 'porridge zone'.

Along the stretch of Upper Serangoon Road near Serangoon Junior College, four eateries serving porridge compete with each other. Ironically, the smallest and latest to move into the area in October 2007, Simon Road Teochew Porridge, has the longest history. It is currently located in an unobtrusive corner at the back of Hiap Seng Hup Kee coffee shop at 1014 Upper Serangoon Road, without even a signboard. Owner Mr Yeo Joo Tuck (below), 48, does not intend to have one made.

'It's not necessary, my regular customers know I am here now,' he explained in Mandarin.

NO SIGNBOARD: Mr Yeo Joo Tuck owns Simon Road Teochew Porridge in a corner of Hiap Seng Hup Kee coffeeshop.

However, he admitted his location is a disadvantage compared to his competitors, who have their brightly-lit shopfronts facing the main road.

'I didn't have much of a choice as this was the place which offered the most affordable rental.

'I may not have as wide a variety of dishes as my neighbours, but I believe I am serving authentic traditional Teochew fare,' he replied when asked how he is coping with the competition.

Mr Yeo said he had learnt cooking from his father and grandfather who started the business at a market stall at the former Sixth Mile Market, located on a plot of land beside Kovan MRT station, more then 50 years ago.

When the market was demolished, his father moved to a shophouse unit at Simon Road in Hougang.

Mr Yeo subsequently moved the business several times within the same area due to rental issues.

Largest seating capacity

Offering the widest variety of dishes numbering between 60 to 70, Teo Seng (Teochew) Eating House is also the one with the largest seating capacity. Said owner Mr Ng Nyin Leong, 45, who has been operating the eatery for the past 11 years, in Mandarin: 'This area has been predominantly Teochew and the people here like Teochew porridge.'

He had started the business in 1998 shortly after Alishan Restaurant, located two doors away, began operating in November 1997. Alishan Restaurant originally offered restaurant-style cooked food, but later switched to selling Taiwanese porridge.

Said Mr Ng: 'It's the norm. When people see that your business is doing well, they would try to follow the same concept because they know that there is a demand for this type of food in the area.'

The owner of Alishan, Mr Tan Thye Peng, 58, admitted that when Mr Ng's stall began, his business fell initially. He had to change his menu to suit the customer's taste. Then the famed Hainanese Midnight Curry from across the road shifted into the shop unit between Alishan and Teo Seng, increasing the pressure. 'The owner of Midnight Curry, Mr Johnson Ngeow, 50, is unperturbed by the keen competition. 'My business is not really centred around porridge, but curry rice. I only offer porridge because some customers prefer it,' said Mr Ngeow. Mr Ngeow is not the original owner of the shop though. He had bought over the business, including the fiercely-guarded recipes, for $250,000 in April 2007.

'My wife and I were former regulars ourselves and when we found out the business was for sale, we grabbed the opportunity,' he explained.

But he emphasised that the standard is the same if not better because they had retained the services of the same cook and now have an even wider variety of dishes. For long-time residents in the area like Miss Teo Hwee Hoon, 32, a cabin crew manager, the development of the area into a food hub is much welcomed.

She said: 'The area has definitely changed and become more lively with more food options.

'More people know about the good food in this area. The only downside is the increased traffic and lack of parking.'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

You can try a few coffee shops at Kovan.

Just take the train down and once you step out, you can see a few eatery places.

Directly opposite the Punggol nasi lemak, you can get teochew, taiwan or hainan porridge.

I usually go to the Teochew porridge stall at Maxwell Food Centre. Its the one that faces the main road. Good stuff and very fresh. They close on Sundays.

Suntec City. At the Convention centre ground floor... got Teochew Porridge buffet... eat till you drop... very very nice spread... and good quality food too... too bad not for late nite meals... go for lunch on weekdays if you are off or something... damn good... price per head is less than $20 if i not wrong on weekdays non-public holiday.

• 2 years later...

Recently frequenting the above places for Teochew porridge. Some updates as there are some changes to the shops.

a. The simon road corner porridge shop/Mr Yeo is gone :( It was my favourite stall.

b. There is now a new Porridge Store with Blue banner Hwa something, that has setup in the coffeeshop.

The few nites that I was there, it has the most crowd.

It has a spread of fresh fish on display. You can choose the fish and they will "Teochew steam" it for you on the spot.

c. TeoSeng Porridge also seems to have undergone a name change to something HK Porridge.

The crowd seems to have crossed over to the shop in (b).

d. Furtherdown at Kovan Centre, the popular Ah Seah Teochew Porridge has moved to TeckChye Terrace.

Their food spread is still good. Glad to see that they've maintained the price.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.