Male HQ

Foreign / Overseas LGBT News - Gay News Outside Singapore (Compiled)

ruffx2sg

涉肛交片勒索 男歌手表證成立

【明報專訊】年輕男歌手梁柏廷Jero被指與男同志肛交後訛稱已拍下過程向對方勒索25萬元案件昨續審。梁於庭上推翻被捕後的警誡供辭聲稱有警員教他招認法官昨裁定表證成立更下令撤銷梁的擔保梁其後透過代表大律師稱感「情緒低落及惡劣」。

稱被警游說下招認TT1069同志貼圖交友網0 J% w& y! R0 O) Q7 p: k, Y. H  b

被告梁柏廷21歲被控於去年2月三度勒索任職侍應的事主X。法庭昨就梁的警誡供辭是否適合呈堂作裁決。梁指被捕當日有警員游說他招認勒索並稱「你話你舖頭無錢而勒索就得你快啲錄咗佢警誡供辭我畀你走我都唔想為難你」。另外有警員不斷要求他做警誡錄影會面更在警署走廊「爆粗」說「快×啲啦……畀着第二個警察就打×咗你你真係好好彩。」梁指當時因「唔知要被困於警署幾耐」只好屈服招認。

控方回應稱警誡錄影會面顯示梁沒有流露任何驚慌神色質疑他若真的被逼招供為何不在鏡頭前作投訴。法官葉佐文最終批准梁的警誡供辭呈堂同時裁定案件表證成立。辯方表示被告將於今早決定會否自辯。TT1069同志貼圖交友網0 Y8 B# [$ |. m; ?) {3 L
( a) w' {) T2 |9 \$ S+ L3 R1 E- p
【案件編號DCCC106/13 】TT1069同志貼圖交友網5 U' e) T0 M- F
TT1069同志貼圖交友網' ~9 q6 d/ w& L+ t" }, B7 g, |
& [' T: D) Z' d& L: E. k
http://news.mingpao.com/20130911/gok1.htm

-- 免費分享同志影片、同志圖片、同志文學的交友論壇% P3 [5 R) M% r+ L0 i4 ^: ~
3 k5 r4 ?3 `& @% }, w+ ^1 W6 g  {

涉勒索男同志, Q6 |' T$ B9 `
「歌手」忽然翻供

TT1069同志貼圖交友網+ i8 k/ j% C' r
【新報訊】自稱歌手的青年與男同志網友X肛交後涉嫌勒索男網友25萬元否則公開片段案件昨日在區院續審。青年被曾在警方會面紀錄中承認因父親過世急待用錢犯案但昨日卻推翻早前的口供指警方當日教他招供他承認曾向事主借錢並沒有勒索。www.tt1069.com8 F, ~- {1 T; e% C" B

自稱快簽約大名www.tt1069.com% I! V5 J) ~) S5 v1 A' u( t
www.tt1069.com" F0 `; n! o/ t2 U; J* v. ]" y% Q
被告梁迪斯21歲又名梁柏廷或梁家進涉嫌勒索男網友。被告曾向警員自稱快將簽約成為大名娛樂公司旗下歌手及將會出唱片但大名娛樂卻即時發聲明否認梁為旗下藝人又稱梁盜用公司名稱招搖撞騙保留追究權利。

案情透露本案受害人X為23歲的男同性戀者在旺角區日式餐廳任侍應生。去年2月9日X以手機登入一個名為Jack’d同性戀者交友網站認識了洋名叫Jero的梁迪斯。同日下午X到葵盛西鸷6座他的住所見面。最後兩人肛交。其後被告致電X稱自己母親安裝針孔攝錄機偷拍兩人肛交過程稱自己未滿21歲事發時19歲X與他肛交已屬犯法要X交出25萬元X交出約5萬元後報警。案件編號DCCC106/2013/ N* `) S$ ^6 c: @8 w1 o

主審葉佐文法官$ n8 A8 ]0 c9 E% A
3 }+ `& T( W2 N7 I! N6 M
9 T3 x" l0 Q5 x2 L4 g6 F9 F
http://www.hkdailynews.com.hk/news.php?id=298081$ D. A: n3 D7 k% Y7 @! W% @
( X$ }1 w7 l0 H- S' V

& H2 F2 @6 C) c

涉肛交勒索案 指遭威迫翻供
男歌手改稱向事主借錢
-- 免費分享同志影片、同志圖片、同志文學的交友論壇: a' B5 H' B+ h5 X4 F9 R6 r

2013-09-11www.tt1069.com# M3 W9 Y; U5 m
-- 免費分享同志影片、同志圖片、同志文學的交友論壇# G: N. P. ~  K$ Z
核心提示自稱為娛樂公司歌手的青年與男同志網友X肛交後涉嫌勒索男網友25萬元否則公開片段事主報警。歌手接受警方問話時承認因父親過世「等錢使」於是「老作」偷拍肛交一事勒索男同志他已將大部分勒索款項在澳門豪賭輸清。不過辯方指控警方以不當手段威逼利誘歌手招供他只承認曾向事主借錢而沒有勒索。
3 W$ V# I+ u6 S9 ~, V! S0 P+ X
W020130911157650093882.jpg
被告梁迪斯指當日是警方教他招供他只承認曾向事主借錢而沒有勒索。Facebook 圖片: j: d5 D# a: A; X+ W( G% M
W020130911157650247003.jpg6 O% \7 @$ C& q7 F6 Z- G
; C) i1 o9 {. K2 c1 F9 E" Z
  自稱為娛樂公司歌手的青年與男同志網友X肛交後涉嫌勒索男網友25萬元否則公開片段事主報警。歌手接受警方問話時承認因父親過世「等錢使」於是「老作」偷拍肛交一事勒索男同志他已將大部分勒索款項在澳門豪賭輸清。不過辯方指控警方以不當手段威逼利誘歌手招供他只承認曾向事主借錢而沒有勒索。記者陳超銓報道-- 免費分享同志影片、同志圖片、同志文學的交友論壇7 U6 W, C$ m) W0 V/ H& K! d

被告梁迪斯21歲又名梁柏廷Jero或梁家進在區域法院否認三項勒索罪。被告曾向警員自稱快將簽約成為某娛樂公司成為旗下歌手及將會出唱片。www.tt1069.com) w$ N: X6 ?. _+ i% P( W4 S

案情指曾勒索25萬www.tt1069.com& D7 ~( G: p2 x7 ]# v0 ~) R. B: f
-- 免費分享同志影片、同志圖片、同志文學的交友論壇' j$ w+ r5 N9 [% u
  案情透露本案受害人X為23歲的男同性戀者在旺角區日式餐廳任侍應生。去年2月9日X以手機登入一個同性戀者交友網站認識了叫Jero的梁。同日下午X到葵盛西邨6座他的住所見面。兩人交談一會後被告替X按摩兩人接吻後肛交。www.tt1069.com( ~: |& _) [0 [  J. s5 N
-- 免費分享同志影片、同志圖片、同志文學的交友論壇. Y' |1 R1 G# v2 ~
  翌日被告致電要求X回到其家告知X自己母親在家中安裝了針孔攝錄機已偷拍兩人肛交過程又稱自己未滿21歲事發時19歲X與他肛交已屬犯法要他給其母親兩萬元否則在網上公開片段和報警。被告要X交出25萬元X交出約5萬元後報警。
* H8 y! @* H' w. S# X. d" g( `2 s
  原稱偷拍肛交是老作www.tt1069.com8 I( n: Y/ S4 F6 |9 s
www.tt1069.com4 k; x+ x" Q  _6 G
  辯方指梁向X透露他經營的時裝店生意困難而經濟拮据是X自願到財務公司為梁借錢梁沒有以肛交事件勒索反指是X誣告但X否認。" }2 z$ Y0 t& D

梁迪斯被捕後向警方表示去年2月9日初次相約男同志X在家中見面X便將他雞姦但他順水推舟「因為阿爸剛過身冇屋企人理我我要錢搬屋同搞身後事加上時裝店生意唔好所以借雞姦件事威脅X攞錢」。梁承認純粹靠嚇「根本就冇拍過任何嘢冇針孔鏡頭冇USB因為等錢使至作件事出嚟」。
www.tt1069.com" C* {* V& c: j& d
  梁又自稱因簽了唱片公司以藝名梁柏廷出道。被告昨在法庭上推翻當日的口供指當日是警方教他招供他只承認曾向事主借錢而沒有勒索。
- x" y. L4 J7 E3 \" w$ w: c& \

http://www.singpao.com/xw/gat/201309/t20130911_458900.html

• 2 weeks later...

A group of Italian lawmakers interrupted a parliamentary debate on Friday to engage in a same-sex kissing demonstration in support of expanding the country’s anti-discrimination law to include the LGBT community.

According to The Local, the new measure, which expands a 1993 law to ban “crimes motivated by homophobia or transphobia,” passed in the Chamber of Deputies in a 354-79 vote, but is not expected to make it through the Senate of the Republic, generally considered the parliament’s “upper house.”

But dozens of members of the M5S party — short for MoVimento 5 Stelle, or Five Star MoVement — cut discussion short on Friday when they stood up and began kissing each other, while others held up signs calling for “more rights” for LGBT Italians. Some ministers also defended the protest online, with Federica Daga posting a picture of the protest on Twitter and writing, “Equal rights and dignity without gender. Because a kiss and a hug are not scary.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/20/italian-lawmakers-hold-same-sex-kiss-in-to-protest-anti-lgbt-discrimination/

• 3 weeks later...

We are blessed. People in Africa get tortured and killed for being gays.

'Gays and lesbians are worse than pigs and dogs. We cannot allow our children to be worse than wild animals.'
- Zimbabwe's President

1395366_443791279064924_369582427_n.jpg

1378363_444450698998982_792792493_n.jpg

1378685_444453385665380_1020012472_n.jpg

1381316_444471198996932_11398937_n.jpg

1395864_444471288996923_2082408634_n.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

Stephen Fry, a well known gay British tv presenter, writer, tv host, has recently made a 2 part documentary for BBC on gays movement. In this documentary, he travelled to Africa, Brazil, USA, India to try to understand what causes homofobia. 

For your viewing : 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyNis-z0Rg0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc19KxerK7U

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.

• 1 month later...

After India, another sad news....

http://www.samesame.com.au/news/7764/High-Court-rules-against-ACT-same-sex-marriages.htm

The High Court has today made it clear that marriage equality is a federal issue, deciding unanimously that the ACT’s Marriage Equality (Same Sex) Act 2013 cannot operate concurrently with the federal Marriage Act 1961.

This means that the 27 same-sex marriages (six of the happy couples are shown above) which have taken place since the ACT’s new same-sex marriage law came into effect on Saturday will be annulled.

Guest the one that still gotaway

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-world-asia/20131207/AS--Australia-Gay.Marriage/print/

0188-AS-Australia-Gay-Marriage.jpg

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Gay and lesbian couples from around Australia joined in fragile marriages in Canberra on Saturday under the nation's beleaguered same-sex union laws that face a challenge in the courts within a week.

The hastily-arranged ceremonies held under blue summer skies were bitter-sweet occasions for some couples who realize the High Court could annul their unions on Thursday.

The federal government has challenged the validity of the Australian Capital Territory's fledgling law that had made gay marriage legal in Canberra and its surrounds from Saturday.

Bills to change federal law to allow gay marriage were twice rejected by Parliament last year, and Prime Minister Tony Abbott was elected in September on a platform of opposing marriage equality.

Some marriage equality advocates feared that the High Court would block same-sex wedding from Tuesday when it heard the challenge. But no orders were made to impede weekend ceremonies.

If the law survives the High court challenge next week, the Federal Parliament could then overturn it with legislation that would ignite a divisive and bitter debate about human and state rights.

Rodney Croome, national director of the advocacy group Australian Marriage Equality, said 25 same-sex couples had reported planning to marry in Canberra this weekend, including his deputy director, Ivan Hinton.

The actual figure could be higher.

"This is the first time that we have been able to demonstrate that the sky will not cave in" due to gay couples marrying in Australia, a tearful Hinton said at his wedding to his Malaysian-born husband Chris Teoh.

Gays and lesbians who married on grassy spaces against the backdrops of Canberra's many symbols of democracy on Saturday said they would be deeply disappointed if the laws failed at the first hurdle next week.

But several said their potentially short-lived unions would remain achievements toward marriage equality.

"Regardless of what happens on Thursday, we still get five days of legally being together," said Stacey Cowan, as she posed for photographs outside Australia's original Parliament House with her new wife, Corrina Peck.

The couple traveled more than 400 kilometers (250 miles) from their coastal home town of Blue Haven for the occasion.

Canberra resident Hayley Wilson said she was glad she did not have to go back to her homeland, New Zealand, to legally marry her Australian wife Samantha Hermes.

"The ball's definitely rolling now and hopefully it builds momentum whatever happens next week," Hermes said.

The Australian Christian Lobby, a vocal opponent of same-sex marriage, warned that the public debate should focus on the plight of children in same-sex relationships.

The group's spokesman Lyle Shelton said same-sex marriage equated to children being removed from a biological parent.

"We hear about equal love all the time but we don't hear about what it means for children," Shelton told Sky News television.

Gay marriage has legal recognition in 18 countries as well as 16 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia.

Associated Press

http://news.asiaone.com/news/world/australias-first-gay-marriages-held-ahead-court-ruling?page=0%2C1

If you are Australian maybe you want to inform your MP here abt your rights.

http://www.australianmarriageequality.com/wp/tag/chris-teoh/

Australians will still need to cross over to NZ to get married, but will be recognised as partners in marriage in  Australia

No. It's just about time that same-sex marriage will be legalised by federal laws which means not only in ACT but also in the states and other territories.

Do the things at which you are great, not what you were never made for.”

• 3 months later...

The growth of gay retirement homes

By Aidan Lewis BBC News, Minneapolis

_73666415_img_4583.jpg
The BBC visited Spirit on Lake, which caters to the elderly LGBT community

As gay rights advance across the US, there is one group that feels it has long been neglected and isolated - the elderly. But that may now be changing, with a series of retirement housing projects opening to serve the gay community.

Before she moved house, Lucretia Kirby suffered homophobic verbal harassment and menacing notes pushed under her door. On one occasion, she and her partner Sandra were physically beaten and had to seek treatment in hospital.

That all changed in October, when she got a place in Spirit on Lake, an apartment block in Minneapolis marketed to elderly lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT/GLBT) people.
"It's more than what I expected it to be. I thought it was just going to be another apartment complex and I was surprised that we've become a community - we know just about everybody by first name," says Kirby, a 58-year-old former teacher and nun who left her convent after falling in love with one of the other sisters. "I just feel blessed."

A number of commercial, market-rate projects succumbed to the financial crisis, but there are now three affordable or low-income housing developments that cater to gay retirees in the US. The first, Triangle Square, opened in Hollywood in 2007, shortly before the recession. Spirit on Lake eventually followed last year, and the John C Anderson apartments in Philadelphia received their first residents in January. Three other blocks are scheduled to open in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Chicago this year and next.

All have a combination of public and private funding, with subsidised, means-tested rental prices.
"I think it's taking off in a big way," says Gayle Gates of Gay and Lesbian Elder Housing in Los Angeles, which developed Triangle Square, "not only because people are beginning to see the need, especially for seniors, but because the baby-boomer generation is so large and ageing".
Many gay pensioners have a particular need for affordable housing. They usually have less family support than straight people and can find themselves at a financial disadvantage too - few or no spousal benefits, less help from children and possibly cut out from inheritance.

"They came of age in the United States at a time when they were heavily discriminated against," says Serena Worthington of the national non-profit group Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders (SAGE). "It was illegal to be lesbian, gay, bisexual, you could be condemned by the church from the pulpit, you could be declared mentally ill, you could be fired."

Elderly gay people may still face prejudice living on their own or in other types of retirement housing - some return to the closet when they enter a residential home, fearful of telling other residents and staff about their past.

"If you think about the folks who supported a whole society that was extremely discriminatory, that is the population that is in the nursing homes now," says Worthington, citing the case of a lesbian couple in Oregon who were told they would have to pretend to be sisters if they moved into a retirement home.

The non-profit Equal Rights Center recently did tests across 10 US states and found that in 46% of cases, gay couples reported discrimination when seeking housing.

_73591768_img_4621.jpg
Spirit on Lake has 46 one and two-bedroom apartments

"I've lived in regular apartment buildings and it's like you don't really want to draw that much attention to yourself," says Scott Quail, another resident at Spirit on Lake. "You want to be gay but you don't want to be overtly gay. So in other apartment buildings you try to inhibit yourself.

While campaigners have focused on issues including gay marriage and rights in the workplace, the elderly LGBT community feel their concerns have often been ignored. That's especially true for gay men, says Quail. "It's a very ageist community. It's better to be young and pretty, and I'm not either."
But this may be changing, says Barbara Satin, a 79-year-old transgender activist who played a key role in launching of Spirit on Lake.

"This is an interesting time for the GLBT community because they're finally beginning to realise that age is something that presents some challenges."

Whereas the those already in their 70s or 80s may have lived in relative isolation, "the baby boomers have lived more openly and they expect to be treated with respect and they will push for it".

Ageing challenges include specific health concerns - HIV and, for the transgender community, taking hormones that may conflict with other medicine.
_73546104_img_4535.jpg
Coffee morning is among the social activities held at Spirit on Lake

Satin has been involved in a scheme to train local elderly care providers about gay issues. Fountaingrove Lodge, a high-end LGBT retirement home that opened in California in December, says it is the first with a license to provide continuing care such as dressing and bathing residents.
Gay retirement housing is also spreading beyond the US.

In November, the Regnbagen or Rainbow apartments, Europe's first solely gay retirement housing, opened in Stockholm. In Berlin, 24 flats run by the Gay Counselling Centre opened in 2012, with 60% of places reserved for gay men.

A Spanish foundation is hoping to open 40-50 flats near Madrid later this year, and a British developer is building a gated gay retirement village in southern France.

Christer Fallman, Regnbagen's chairman, says all 27 of his flats are occupied, and about 50 people are on the waiting list.

Though Sweden is widely regarded as progressive over gay rights, he says pensioners can face problems in public elderly care, where they are automatically assumed to be heterosexual.

"Elderly people want social security," he says. "They don't want to live alone - the possibility of going into the closet again is very big. They know that here they are not alone. Somebody always looks after them."

Living in such a tight-knit community is not for everyone. Larry Watson, a 76-year-old who volunteers at a LGBT library on the ground floor of the Spirit on Lake building, says he is quite happy living in a normal apartment building eight blocks away.

_73536862_img_4613.jpg

"I'm not lonely, I don't lack for activities, I haven't lost a partner fortunately," he says, adding that as gay rights continue to advance, he's not convinced that the demand for separate housing will be sustained.

"I think the course will remain very positive, and 15 or 20 years from now I'm not sure that GLBT are going to be looking for a niche similar to what's available and is wanted by GLBT people right now, as reflected by this community."

Satin says that in a survey conducted 10 years ago in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St Paul, about half of those who took part said they would want to live in a gay community in their old age.

In the Twin Cities there are an estimated 30-35,000 gay people aged over 65. With 46 apartments at Spirit on Lake, "we're not even scratching the surface", she says.

Under fair housing rules, the affordable or low-income projects that cater for gay people cannot exclude straight people outright, or they would not qualify for federal subsidies.

This can make for an interesting mix. In Triangle Square, 78% of residents are elderly and gay, but 11% are monolingual Russians. At Spirit on Lake, which unlike the other blocks has no minimum age requirement, the result is still more improbable - about three-quarters gay, and the rest Somali immigrants, many of them young.

That had some of the gay residents worried at first, but they say they now appreciate the diversity, and that there has been no friction.

Scott Quail tells a story of when he was in the lift with a man he was dating and they started to kiss.
"The elevator opened and in walked a couple of Somali ladies and they just kind of looked and smiled and that was it. And it felt good because now I feel I don't have to hide myself from them."

Video produced by Colm O'Molloy

Guest gay rights

Niche market if I ever saw one.

Singapore is not progressing on gay issues. Our country  is far from being free as compared to other developed world.  Self-righteous christianity still pose a hindrance to our progress.  Singapore is either a soul-less world or a religious world, there is no other world we can think of for now.  Being apathetic towards gay rights in Singapore, is not helping either. It posed opportunity for growing group of  fundamentalist with resources to make further inroad to curb our freedom.  I have gay friend who emigrated eventually.

Guest Guest

There is an ongoing call for boycott of Mozilla Firefox.

In this particular case, a gay couple (now married), protested the selection of the new CEO of Mozilla Foundation (A non profit organisation) because of the CEO's pass of supporting denial of marriage to gay couples.

I also remember "rumours" of a Public Funded University bypassing a well qualified candidate for Faculty Dean position because of his sexual orientation.

Should a board/committee select a CEO/Head consider the candidate's personal life and opinions.

Firefox Boycott Called by Gay Techies Over New CEO

Posted on 3/25/2014 12:30:00 PM by Karen Ocamb

Did you fire up Firefox to read this on your desktop browser? Logical, since Mozilla’s Firefox is the second most popular internet browser in the world.

Well, Hampton Catlin, creator of Wikipedia mobile and CEO of Rarebit (which was co-founded with his husband Michael Catlin), is hoping you’ll boycott Firefox after the announcement Monday, March 24, that Mozilla co-founder and JavaScript inventor Brendan Eich is the company’s new CEO.

In 2012, more than 5,000 people lit up the Twitterverse after it was discovered that Eich contributed $1,000 to the 'Yes on Prop. 8' campaign in 2008.

Not everyone agreed, of course.

Catlin noted that the selection of Eich as CEO “is very, very” personal since the software manufacturing pair endured the struggle as a binational couple until the Supreme Court overturned Prop. 8 and a section of the Defense of Marriage Act—after which the Obama administration recognized their legal marriage and, with it, their ability to start a company together.

After Monday’s announcement elevating Eich from Mozilla’s chief technology officer to CEO, the couple posted an announcement of their own—they are removing all their apps from the Firefox marketplace.

Hampton Catlin, who also noted that the couple was featured in a New York Times story and video after the Prop. 8 ruling, wrote:

Brendan Eich was an active supporter of denying our right to be married and even to start this business. He actively took steps to ensure that rarebit couldn’t exist!

Further, he won’t comment on the issue and has not acknowledged any change of opinion. Two years ago, he had an opportunity to change his mind and help change society for better. He has not in two years, and said he will not… so it’s hard to think that any public change of opinion at this time would only be to ensure his new powerful position at Mozilla.

By the very bones in our body, we cannot dare use our creativity, experience, knowledge, and passion to further the career of a man who has to this day not apologized for his support. I can’t spend hours and days and years polishing, building, and upgrading applications that make him richer than he is.

Building great apps is what we love to do, it’s our passion. We want to make great things for people to use. Whether its a fun little puzzle game, or a useful dictionary, or our work on Sass…..

I certainly recognize that there are great people at Mozilla. And that lots of people there want the org to be open and supportive. However, the board could have chosen ANY of those other, awesome people at Mozilla to be CEO. Out of all the possible candidates they could have chosen, they chose Brendan Eich. CEO’s are extremely important to an organization. Their ideas, beliefs, philosophies, and personalities drive organizations. And, when it’s an organization that I’m personally investing in, its even more important.

In a letter to Mozilla, he wrote:

We will continue our boycott until Brendan Eich is completely removed from any day to day activities at Mozilla, which we believe is extremely unlikely after all he’s survived and the continued support he has received from Mozilla.

This makes us very sad, as we love the little guy fighting to make things better. But it’s because of our status as a minority that we simply can’t ignore this slap in the face of giving him a promotion to lead your organization.

http://www.frontiersla.com/frontiers-blog/2014/03/25/firefox-boycott-called-by-gay-techies-over-new-ceo-updated

Guest Guest

The standard "Some of my best friends are Gay" defence.

Mozilla CEO responds to homophobic claims

Some of my best friends are gay

By Madeline Bennett

Thu Mar 27 2014, 17:31

NEW MOZILLA CEO Brendan Eich has responded to the recent backlash over his earlier support for California Proposition 8, posting a detailed outline of his support for the LGBT community.

In a blog post headed "Inclusiveness at Mozilla" that could just as well have been titled 'Some of my best friends are gay', Eich laid out all the ways in which he's a fan of the LGBT community and how he's going to see that they're well looked after at Mozilla under his leadership.

"I know there are concerns about my commitment to fostering equality and welcome for LGBT individuals at Mozilla. I hope to lay those concerns to rest, first by making a set of commitments to you. More important, I want to lay them to rest by actions and results," he revealed.

Eich went on to promise active commitment to equality in everything the firm does, from employment to events, working with LGBT communities and allies to learn what does and doesn't make Mozilla supportive, and a personal commitment to work on initiatives to reach out to those who feel excluded. However, he didn't directly address the Proposition 8 issue or his donation to the campaign.

"I know some will be sceptical about this, and that words alone will not change anything," he remarked. "I can only ask for your support to have the time to 'show, not tell'; and in the meantime express my sorrow at having caused pain."

One day on from announcing Eich as its next CEO at the start of this week, Mozilla was forced to post a statement on diversity to dampen accusations of homophobia in light of its appointment of a man who previously donated to California Proposition 8.

"Mozilla has always been deeply committed to honouring diversity in sexual orientation and beliefs within our staff and community, across all the project's activities," the statement read.

"One concrete example of this is in our health benefit policies. Mozilla provides the same level of benefits and advantages to domestic partners as we do to married couples across the United States, even in states where it is not mandated. For those who choose life insurance, voluntary spouse coverage extends to domestic partners, including same-sex couples."

Eich, formerly CTO at Mozilla, has a credible reputation in the technology world as the creator of Javascript and a co-founder of the Firefox and Thunderbird developer. However, his reputation outside of the firm is less glowing as a supporter of Proposition 8, which aimed to ban same-sex marriage in California.

Eich donated $1,000 to the Proposition 8 campaign in 2008, a revelation that first came to light in 2012. At the time, Eich defended his action, saying, "I'm left with charges that I hate and I'm a bigot, based solely on the donation. Now 'hate' and 'bigot' are well-defined words. I say these charges are false and unjust... the donation does not in itself constitute evidence of animosity. Those asserting this are not providing a reasoned argument, rather they are labeling dissenters to cast them out of polite society."

As news of Eich's promotion circulated, some developers reacted to the news by withdrawing support for Mozilla.

"As a married gay couple who are co-founders of this venture, we have chosen to boycott all Mozilla projects. We will not develop apps or test styles on Firefox anymore," Hampton Catlin, CEO of Rarebit and creator of Wikipedia mobile, wrote in a letter to Eich.

Catlin said that the firm was withdrawing Color Puzzle from the Firefox Marketplace and was stopping work on its about-to-launch Firefox version of the Dictionary! app for iPhone and Android.

"We will continue our boycott until Brendan Eich is completely removed from any day to day activities at Mozilla, which we believe is extremely unlikely after all he's survived and the continued support he has received from Mozilla," Catlin added.

"This makes us very sad, as we love the little guy fighting to make things better. But it's because of our status as a minority that we simply can't ignore this slap in the face of giving him a promotion to lead your organisation."

However, Eich has been given support from some in the LGBT community working at Mozilla.

"To be clear, I'm personally disappointed about Brendan's donation," noted Christie Koehler, Mozilla's education lead on the Community Building team.

"However, aside from how it affected me emotionally, I have nothing to indicate that it's materially hurt my work within the Mozilla community or as a Mozilla employee. Mozilla offers the best benefits I have ever had and goes out of its way to offer benefits to its employees in same-sex marriages or domestic partnerships on par with those in heterosexual marriages.

"Certainly it would be problematic if Brendan's behaviour within Mozilla was explicitly discriminatory, or implicitly so in the form of repeated micro-aggressions. I haven’t personally seen this (although to be clear, I was not part of Brendan's reporting structure until today). To the contrary, over the years I have watched Brendan be an ally in many areas and bring clarity and leadership when needed."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2336520/mozilla-defends-ceo-over-homophobic-claims

Please do at least go to Mozila's Facebook page to protest against their decision to appoint an anti-gay bigot as their CEO, it's really too dangerous to have a bigoted homophobe run such a powerful Internet company. In the long run, he can really help spread the message of hate against gays through his position as Mozila's CEO.

Guest FightBigotry

There is now a "Twitter-storm" of criticisms against Mozilla for appointment the anti-gay bigot Brendan Eich as the new CEO. If you do have a Twitter account, please do voice your objections, the handles are @mozilla @firefox @mitchelllbaker (the chairman), @reidhoffman (mozilla board member), @brendaneich (the bigot CEO himself)

http://recode.net/2014/04/03/mozilla-co-founder-brendan-eich-resigns-as-ceo-and-also-from-foundation-board/

Mozilla Co-Founder Brendan Eich Resigns as CEO, Leaves Foundation Board
April 3, 2014, 12:00 PM PDT

Brendan Eich, the well-known techie who has gotten swept up in a controversy about his support of California’s anti-gay marriage law Proposition 8, is resigning as CEO of for-profit Mozilla Corporation and also from the board of the nonprofit foundation which wholly owns it.
Mozilla confirmed the change in a blog post.

“Mozilla prides itself on being held to a different standard and, this past week, we didn’t live up to it. We know why people are hurt and angry, and they are right: it’s because we haven’t stayed true to ourselves,” read the post, in part. “We didn’t act like you’d expect Mozilla to act. We didn’t move fast enough to engage with people once the controversy started. We’re sorry. We must do better.”
In several interviews this week, Eich had insisted that he would not step down from the job he was only recently appointed to, due to the intense backlash over a $1,000 donation he made in 2008 in support of the ballot measure to ban gay marriage.

“So I don’t want to talk about my personal beliefs because I kept them out of Mozilla all these 15 years we’ve been going,” he said to the Guardian, for example, yesterday. “I don’t believe they’re relevant.”
Not so, of course. In an interview this morning, Mozilla Executive Chairwoman Mitchell Baker said that Eich’s ability to lead the company that makes the Firefox Web browser had been badly damaged by the continued scrutiny over the hot-button issue, which had actually been known since 2012 inside the Mozilla community.
“It’s clear that Brendan cannot lead Mozilla in this setting,” said Baker, who added that she would not and could not speak for Eich. “The ability to lead — particularly for the CEO — is fundamental to the role and that is not possible here.”
She said that Eich — who created the JavaScript programming language, among other prominent computing achievements — had not been forced to resign by her or others on its board, which includes prominent Silicon Valley entrepreneur and investor Reid Hoffman.
“I think there has been pressure from all sides, of course, but this is Brendan’s decision,” Baker said. “Given the circumstances, this is not surprising.”
Indeed, those circumstances included vocal protests on Twitter by Mozilla staffers and a call by the OkCupid dating site to not use Firefox.
The controversy has been a difficult one for Mozilla, which could be described as more of a movement than a tech company and which has a very vocal community around it.
It has also resulted in scrutiny of its governance, in which Baker and also Eich — who have worked together for 15 years since founding Mozilla on deeply held beliefs over the development of an open Internet — played a big part.
In addition, three of Mozilla Corporation’s board members — former Mozilla CEO and current Greylock Partners VC John Lilly, former Mozilla CEO Gary Kovacs and well-known tech exec Ellen Siminoff — have recently resigned.

But each of their departures seems to have been only tangentially related to Eich’s appointment — though none of them supported his selection as CEO, according to numerous sources, for other reasons — and not to the controversy over Prop 8.

Baker said that she had not known about Eich’s views on gay marriage throughout most of their working relationship, until the donation came to light last year.
“That was shocking to me, because I never saw any kind of behavior or attitude from him that was not in line with Mozilla’s values of inclusiveness,” she said, noting that there was a long and public community process about what to do about it in which Eich, then CTO, participated. “But I overestimated that experience.”

Baker — who became emotional at one point during the interview — noted that she was “doing a fair amount of self-reflection and I am wondering how did I miss it that this would matter more when he was the CEO.”

Preserving Mozilla’s integrity was paramount, she said, especially since “we are heading into a period of global mass surveillance and the role of those fighting against will be more important than ever.”

She added: “This is hard since Brendan is a founder and has contributed so much here. But making sure others continue to join and support Mozilla’s efforts is even more important.”
Baker said there was not another leading candidate for the CEO role as yet, although Mozilla had been conducting an extensive search using Spencer Stuart before the Eich selection, which also included another internal candidate, Jay Sullivan.
“There are certainly very talented people we have talked to, so we are not at ground zero by any means,” she said. “But we are now in the middle of what is clearly a crisis, and this had to happen.”

A crisis indeed, not helped much by a series of Eich interviews this week, in which he declined to apologize and used what can only be described as pretzel logic about how a clearly tolerant community like Mozilla should also support what many now consider intolerant beliefs.
Eich told the Guardian, for example: “So far we’ve been able to bring people together of diverse beliefs including on things like marriage equality. We couldn’t have done this, we couldn’t have done Firefox One. I would’ve been excluded, someone else would’ve been excluded because of me — I wouldn’t have done that personally, they’d have just left. So imagine a world without Firefox: not good.”

He also dragged in a truly bizarre point about people in Indonesia not liking gays marrying to justify his continued leadership. He noted to the newspaper that LGBT marriage was “not considered universal human rights yet, and maybe they will be, but that’s in the future, right now we’re in a world where we have to be global to have effect.”
(Hey Brendan, does that mean we need to just say bygones about some of the virulent anti-women sentiments and laws in some countries, since it’s a Firefox world after all? No, I did not think so.)

“I think I’m the best person for the job and I’m doing the job,” Eich insisted to the Guardian.
Throughout the interviews, it was not hard to get the sense that Eich really wanted to stick strongly by his views about gay marriage, which run counter to much of the tech industry and, increasingly, the general population in the U.S. For example, he repeatedly declined to answer when asked if he would donate to a similar initiative today.

Instead, he tried to unsuccessfully hedge those sentiments and, perhaps more importantly, did not seem to understand that he might have to pay the inevitable price for having them.

Thus, something had to give — and it did.

When asked about worries that the continuing controversy about Eich would have had broader impact, such as negotiations to renew a longtime lucrative contract with Google — which has been a high-profile supporter of gay rights — Baker said that while making this move aligned with that, it was not a factor in Eich’s departure.

“This is more important than business relationships,” she said.
Here is the full Mozilla blog post on the Eich departure:

Brendan Eich Steps Down as Mozilla CEO

Mozilla prides itself on being held to a different standard and, this past week, we didn’t live up to it. We know why people are hurt and angry, and they are right: it’s because we haven’t stayed true to ourselves.

We didn’t act like you’d expect Mozilla to act. We didn’t move fast enough to engage with people once the controversy started. We’re sorry. We must do better.
Brendan Eich has chosen to step down from his role as CEO. He’s made this decision for Mozilla and our community.

Mozilla believes both in equality and freedom of speech. Equality is necessary for meaningful speech. And you need free speech to fight for equality. Figuring out how to stand for both at the same time can be hard.

Our organizational culture reflects diversity and inclusiveness. We welcome contributions from everyone regardless of age, culture, ethnicity, gender, gender-identity, language, race, sexual orientation, geographical location and religious views. Mozilla supports equality for all.
We have employees with a wide diversity of views. Our culture of openness extends to encouraging staff and community to share their beliefs and opinions in public. This is meant to distinguish Mozilla from most organizations and hold us to a higher standard. But this time we failed to listen, to engage, and to be guided by our community.

While painful, the events of the last week show exactly why we need the web. So all of us can engage freely in the tough conversations we need to make the world better.

We need to put our focus back on protecting that Web. And doing so in a way that will make you proud to support Mozilla.

What’s next for Mozilla’s leadership is still being discussed. We want to be open about where we are in deciding the future of the organization and will have more information next week. However, our mission will always be to make the Web more open so that humanity is stronger, more inclusive and more just: that’s what it means to protect the open Web.
We will emerge from this with a renewed understanding and humility — our large, global, and diverse community is what makes Mozilla special, and what will help us fulfill our mission. We are stronger with you involved.

Thank you for sticking with us.

The Mozilla CEO is OUT because of his anti gay views. There are also people dis-quieten that the LGBT group are "intolerant" of dissenting views.

But the tide is turning against Eich’s (Mozilla CEO) kind. Being prejudiced against gay and lesbian people today is turning out to be a bit like being prejudiced against black people in the 1950s. People with those views are simply on the wrong side of history, and companies don’t want executives distracting their staff or customers with views that, increasingly, seem extreme and mean-spirited, even if they are private.

No tech company CEO could have expected to keep his or her job if they had made a quiet donation to the KKK, for instance.

http://www.businessinsider.sg/mozilla-ceo-anti-gay-views-2014-4/

Not Everyone Is Happy That Mozilla’s CEO Was Forced Out For His Anti-Gay Views
JIM EDWARDS APR. 4, 2014, 5:16 AM

The resignation of Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich — who founded the company that makes the Firefox Web browser in 1998 — because he has anti-gay marriage views is not sitting well with everybody. He quit after a sustained campaign by his own employees, who believed his views made him not credible as a leader.

At the heart of the move is a fundamental contradiction: Eich’s foes disapproved of Eich’s intolerance for LGBT people. But in the end they could not tolerate Eich’s opinions, which for years he kept private and, by all accounts, did not bring into the workplace. The “tolerant” were not tolerant enough of a man they considered intolerant, even though he had tolerated them for about 15 years, in other words.

The issue is made more complicated by the fact that Eich’s views (a private donation to a campaign to make gay marriage illegal in California) had almost nothing to do with his job (making a Web browser that works really well).
Within an hour of his exit, a comments thread on Hacker News — a site popular with the coders and developers who care most about Mozilla — had grown to nearly 600 comments, both pro and con.
Those celebrating his departure pointed out that as Mozilla is a collaborative nonprofit, Eich’s prejudice against homosexuals might deter talent from joining the company. Those bemoaning it, however, noted that he lost his job simply because he had an unpopular opinion that had nothing to do with his work.

Here’s a selection of those comments, which were posted under anonymous screen names:

• The most damning aspect of this was their a) inability to predict this would be an issue and b) their inability to deal with it once it did.
  • I don’t think ‘integrity’ in the face of an opinion that is becoming more and more unacceptable to hold in our culture is a good thing. Changing your views, and admitting you were wrong is the best thing you can do.
  • … there’s no absolute right to be a public-facing CEO, and it’s not unreasonable for the public to name-and-shame companies for their stances on public issues and the people they choose as corporate leaders.
  • This is exactly how opinion worked in East Germany. You didn’t have to be a communist, but if you weren’t you would never work again.
  • Mozilla made a business decision that the guy was a liability for a public non-profit. That’s capitalism, not totalitarianism.
  • It’s surprising how intolerant people become once their opinion becomes the socially acceptable one.
  • This is exactly how oppressive mobs work.

Eich had kept his views on gay marriage quiet until last year, according to Re/code. He told the Guardian, “So I don’t want to talk about my personal beliefs because I kept them out of Mozilla all these 15 years we’ve been going. … I don’t believe they’re relevant.”
Mozilla Executive Chairwoman Mitchell Baker didn’t know about his views until last year, according to Re/code:

Baker said that she had not known about Eich’s views on gay marriage throughout most of their working relationship, until the donation came to light last year.
“That was shocking to me, because I never saw any kind of behavior or attitude from him that was not in line with Mozilla’s values of inclusiveness,” she said.

Eich, perhaps, stated the irony best when he was talking about what would have happened if he — or other employees — had been excluded from Mozilla on the basis of their views at an earlier date:

I would’ve been excluded, someone else would’ve been excluded because of me — I wouldn’t have done that personally, they’d have just left. So imagine a world without Firefox: not good.

But the tide is turning against Eich’s kind. Being prejudiced against gay and lesbian people today is turning out to be a bit like being prejudiced against black people in the 1950s. People with those views are simply on the wrong side of history, and companies don’t want executives distracting their staff or customers with views that, increasingly, seem extreme and mean-spirited, even if they are private.

No tech company CEO could have expected to keep his or her job if they had made a quiet donation to the KKK, for instance.

Guest Guest

His donation speaks louder than his words. 

We never know what other actions he had taken and will take in the future. 

But we know for sure,  his position as CEO will boost those other people who are discriminating gays. 

The Mozilla CEO is OUT because of his anti gay views. There are also people dis-quieten that the LGBT group are "intolerant" of dissenting views.

But the tide is turning against Eich’s (Mozilla CEO) kind. Being prejudiced against gay and lesbian people today is turning out to be a bit like being prejudiced against black people in the 1950s. People with those views are simply on the wrong side of history, and companies don’t want executives distracting their staff or customers with views that, increasingly, seem extreme and mean-spirited, even if they are private.

The last sentence basically summed up this whole debacle.

If he's just a person working a job at Mozilla as a programmer then sure, whatever. Don't have to be fired or quit. But this is the public face and end representative of the entirety of Mozilla. We do judge a company's views and stances by their top leadership, just as we do countries by their presidents and kings or queens. Eich refused to explain his contribution and alleged it was irrelevant. The market, and more importantly, his company, said it was, and he refuted by saying 'Nope, it's not, and that's that'. This sparked great outrage because part of a CEO's job is to be the public face of their company. If the CEO publicly supports values that contradict their company's values they aren't doing their job and so, gets fired for it. Compound that with him funding causes to deny rights to other people, he pretty much screwed himself over... and I'm the kind that advocates a clear distinction between personal life and work life.

Edited by EasleyLim

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Raiden Alpha

I wish society would do me justice too.

CMI uncles/toad have try to pull such stunt on me before too.

They need to be punish.

Being born handsome and suave is not my fault.

在没有人证的情况下 , 案情会如何下判 , 又或许会是另一个庭外和解的案件 ?

这使我又有另一种感触 。长的帅和好看的人会特别受到别人的同情和好感 ,

就算他或她不是受害者 , 别人也会为他们而不值 ,

所以若没外在和内在的条件 , 还是脚踏实地点自重较好 ,

否则只会自己找罪受 , 自己丢脸 。

Guest fit uncle

在没有人证的情况下 , 案情会如何下判 , 又或许会是另一个庭外和解的案件 ?

这使我又有另一种感触 。长的帅和好看的人会特别受到别人的同情和好感 ,

就算他或她不是受害者 , 别人也会为他们而不值 ,

所以若没外在和内在的条件 , 还是脚踏实地点自重较好 ,

否则只会自己找罪受 , 自己丢脸 。

這個世界裡,沒有醜UNCLE,只有懶UNCLE。

把自己身體鍛煉好,外貌保養好,自然會有帥哥送上門。

那個時候,你反而會感到那些人很煩。

Guest Raiden Alpha

這個世界裡,沒有醜UNCLE,只有懶UNCLE。

把自己身體鍛煉好,外貌保養好,自然會有帥哥送上門。

那個時候,你反而會感到那些人很煩。

请你看看图里面的那位大叔。

既使后天在怎么后天努力也是徒劳无获。

有限公司。

请向现实低头,切勿愚人误己。

一天到晚说自己很有价但各下一张尊容都不曾透露半张,未免太召人笑柄了吧。

Guest Guest

请你看看图里面的那位大叔。

既使后天在怎么后天努力也是徒劳无获。

有限公司。

请向现实低头,切勿愚人误己。

Nobody can be appealing to everybody.

Ever seen Jap porn stars like short and stout Keiichi?

你狗眼看人低。

Guest Guest

I wish society would do me justice too.

CMI uncles/toad have try to pull such stunt on me before too.

They need to be punish.

Being born handsome and suave is not my fault.

They are also visually impaired.

I rather kiss Gollum than you.

请你看看图里面的那位大叔。

既使后天在怎么后天努力也是徒劳无获。

有限公司。

请向现实低头,切勿愚人误己。

Yalor,他只敢露张荧光低裤肚腩照。

• G_M changed the title to Foreign / Overseas LGBT News - Gay News Outside Singapore (Compiled)
  • fab changed the title to Tokyo just made history by being the largest city in Japan to recognise same-sex partnerships!
  • G_M locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • G_M locked and unlocked this topic
  • G_M locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked and locked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.