Male HQ

How To Exercise & Lose Weight / Slim Down & Get Rid Of Love Handle Aka Spare Tyre? (Compiled)

worldangel

I think it's not a must to go gym to improve our bod definition.

Unless you are looking into having a bodybuilder kind of bods.

My thoughts exactly. I think regular running, swimming and static exercises that can be done at home should be good enough to get some level of definition. I have friends who have been going to the gym for a few years now but I don't seem to quite see the change in them.

Hi all,

I'm 18 m chi 174 85kg - not fat in terms of body fats but more on the cheeks area.

I work from 9am till 7pm plus daily in office and gonna be enlisted for NS in Feb next year.

Just wondering how do I exercise/go on diet to lose weight to acceptable and "average size" figure by then?

Any tips? Esp w my work commitments and stuff :(

The TS started this in Nov last year and it is nearing Feb now. So I wonder if he has any luck with this weight loss yet.

Thanks still long way to go... I'm bothered by my tummy still Haha

Thanks for sharing. Hats off to your preserverance.

I believe u are enjoying yr rewards now, from seeing the difference in the mirror, feedback from yr friends and surely, a big increase in people who are interested in you.

anyway, do you have problem with lose skin after such a massive loss? I seen someone (real case) in my gym, exactly like yours. He let me see and feel his tummy and it was lots of loose skin, like that of a "shar pei" doggy. (sorry if I use the wrong example). Can it be tighten with times? or any other methods?

I believe u are enjoying yr rewards now, from seeing the difference in the mirror, feedback from yr friends and surely, a big increase in people who are interested in you.

anyway, do you have problem with lose skin after such a massive loss? I seen someone (real case) in my gym, exactly like yours. He let me see and feel his tummy and it was lots of loose skin, like that of a "shar pei" doggy. (sorry if I use the wrong example). Can it be tighten with times? or any other methods?

surgery

Thanks, Yes the saggy skin is bad!and takes very long to get rid of unless you do what simplicity said "surgery " however you can still Make it look better through proper dieting, cocoa butter and elastin moisturiser daily as well as scrubbing daily...

However all those by-product will only give it minimal changes ,a mini tummy tuck is required if you really want to get rid of it.

Preventive measures for the skin is either slow down your weight loss or pray you have good genes

surgery

Fattie bom bom walk down the street

• 3 months later...

I strongly disagree to lose weight by using "product" especially those pills or tea or whatever that you hv to eat.

The most important key is your strong will to keep dynamic yourself to do more cardio such as running and swimming continuously

15 mins at least with the slightly faster pace than the one you comfortable with. After that just increase your difficulties of your cardio exercise

in the way of longer duration or faster pace. The other key is the diet. Should not skip proper meal and must control the food intake as less oily or

low carbo. If you want to be seem slimmer or toner please add on some weight work out to tone your muscle so that visually you definitely will see

toner in more effective way. Please do not rely on "how many KGs you had lose" but please do more healthier exercises instead of taking those "weight lose product".

Just share about my experience on lose weight. No offence. ^^

Edited by Wind0206

Guest fujitsu

I also disagree with the usage of slimming products.. Wd be much better to do it naturally.. It also helps you to learn how to self-discipline, self-motivate, etc along the way.. Just dont do it the extreme way.. Do it on the pace that you are comfortable with.. Everything wd take time to come to reality, and so is your weight loss programme.. So dont rush and dont be stressed if it seems that your efforts are not paid off (yet)..

I've ever been 10kg heavier than I am now, and it took me alot of patience and efforts to be how I am rite now.. But what I did is not spectacular though, cause I didnt have any target or deadline whatsoever, then I was also busy with works, I just slowly add my sport routine and be mindful of what to eat, when to eat and how much to eat.. So it took me almost a year to lose 10kgs haha..

Anw jiayou and good luck!

Edited by fujitsu

Losing weight is never simple. 

Cut down on your carbs by half, and increase your protein intake.

Increase your exercise duration and frequency. For a start, you can walk the treadmill at an incline, for an hour. This should get the ball rolling. Swimming would be a good way to lose weight fast too.

High intensity exercise with short duration, would burn more than low intensity exercises over a longer duration. This is due to the after-burn effect. An example would be to do high intensity running, where you could sprint for 30 seconds, rest 1 min, and start the sprint again, for 8 sets. This should burn quite an amount of calories.

But most importantly, watch your diet, Avoid soft drinks, shunned away from your potato chips, decrease your carbs.

If you still need any help, just PM me!

All the best!

Losing weight is very simple, it just need a big amount of determination and will power and anyone can do it. If you are the lazy type and dont wish to exercise than the only choice is eat the right food and you will not go fat. Change your diet and be a vegetarian and you will definately slim down. The vegetarian food i mention is pure vegetables and not those mock meat made from flour. Meat contains lots of fats while vegetables contains almost zero fat. Every day make sure you cook a big pot of vegetables and eat until you so full that you cant eat any more other food so as to prevent you from eating other food that makes you fat. Why this works? It is a simple logic. When you keep eating vegetables that gives almost zero fat than you will gain almost zero fat. Your everyday sleeping, walking and breathing will also keep using energy which comes from fat. When your food gives almost zero fat, your body had no choice but to slowly use up the store fat, therefore you will become more and more slim each day and it definately works for everybody.

For my case i make sure i eat around 70% vegetables while the 30% is consider fish meat and eggs only. I already given up eating red meat unless there is no other food around. Ever since i change this diet, I recover back my ab shape and i am very happy ever since. The small portion of fish meat and eggs is to maintain my protein level which in turns maintain my muscle mass. I also everyday do 100 pushup and 60 sit ups to maintain my shape but it definately not enough to slim down. With this vegetable diet and a bit of exercise i had i had no fear of running around topless.

first,

get started with sports or gym.. if you are rich, get a trainer, else, watch more samples from youtube about how to lose the fats and maybe some kind souls here to show you the ropes.

there's no easier way to shed off those fats.. other than diets and exercise, diets as mentioned, doing something sustainable, dun turn into veggie/salad lover overnight, unless you are super discipline.

make a contract to yourself, try out for 10 weeks and dun give excuses, like too tired, or  no time. 

find time, prioritize gym to be your schedule, and put effort into doing it.

record down your training, what you did and went,

if can record down what you eat.

for me i can't remember by the end of the day, so usually I just make a pact to myself, likie chaning Kopi to Kopi-O to avoid the milk, no more other sweet drinks and no eating of visible fats and skins.

(that's it, I need to start slow and i want to make sure it's sustainable)

next, Try out HIIT (google it) and hit the gym (best with a buddy)

it works, and for HIIT, insufficient time can never be a reason anymore.

see the link here for more information.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/health-fitness-corner-48/beginners-guide-fat-loss-q-faq-2034320.html

• 1 month later...
Guest r2d2

Hi there!

I'm 19, and i wouldnt say my body is very fat, but its fat. its in the 75kh range, but im not stocky either cos its all fats  and stocky would mean i have muscles ( am i right about this).

Anyway, i would like to feel confident about myself and i wanna train and be lean or fit. hopefully im not too late. the thing is i was never into sports or exercising, never gymmed my entire life.

so anyone out there that can help me out by posting a suitable fitness plan that i can follow, that is  not very extreme but doable for a newbie. any articles/ websites would help too. thank you so much in advance. 

:)

Guest r2d2

edit: when i say i never gymmed before, i mean im totally clueless about weights as well. i have no idea what are the exercises.

and ive heard people saying different body parts each day but some people saying should focus on all muscle group everytime you gym. help!

edit: when i say i never gymmed before, i mean im totally clueless about weights as well. i have no idea what are the exercises.

and ive heard people saying different body parts each day but some people saying should focus on all muscle group everytime you gym. help!

those stuff are not very beginner level leh. Go youtube and search workouts for beginners or something. There should be videos to teach you.

Hi there!

I'm 19, and i wouldnt say my body is very fat, but its fat. its in the 75kh range, but im not stocky either cos its all fats  and stocky would mean i have muscles ( am i right about this).

Anyway, i would like to feel confident about myself and i wanna train and be lean or fit. hopefully im not too late. the thing is i was never into sports or exercising, never gymmed my entire life.

so anyone out there that can help me out by posting a suitable fitness plan that i can follow, that is  not very extreme but doable for a newbie. any articles/ websites would help too. thank you so much in advance. 

:)

There are things you can do without even setting foot in a gym. You can jog and combine it with simple body weight exercises that can be performed at an exercise corner one might find in parks or residential neighborhoods. Push-ups are effective; if you are too weak at first, start by having your knees on the floor. There are other exercises e.g. inclined pull-ups/rows with your body at an angle under a waist-height bar, crunches, lunges, burpees etc. Swimming is also good exercise.

Don't forget to work on your diet as well.

Guest Former Fatty

So many people looking to lose weight but they don't know what to do. I was a huge fatty and I tried all sorts of diets and read all sorts of books. I took many years yo-yo-ing up and down until I finally decided to get serious. In the end after buying so many products / books / e-books / trainers / bootcamps, I'm going to put it down here for you.

1) If you're looking to lose weight, diet trumps exercise.

Ask any good trainer and you'll hear the response "You can't out train a shitty diet". Unless you're Michael Phelps or genetically gifted that is. Diet simply means eating right. Learn about nutrition and what to eat. It doesn't mean skipping meals and eating only protein or not eating after 8pm or other stuff like that. It's actually very simple but is beyond the scope of this post. Just learn up on nutrition. If you're really looking to lose weight what you put into your mouth (heh) matters most of all. Just think about it: how many calories does running burn and how many calories is in a kopi and toast? You have to face the facts.

2) Exercise helps you loose weight but it's main purpose is to keep you healthy.

Exercise is good! But it's primary purpose is to keep you healthy. It also helps burn calories which is good but unless you're an athlete or movie star with tons of time to devote to training, it's not the most efficient way to lose weight. There's no denying that exercising and a good diet will totally help you lose weight though, it's totally true. Just be careful of the exercise trap: a lot of people when they start to exercise they get more hungry. Then they justify eating more because they are exercising! A trap to watch out for!

3) Weight / resistance exercise trumps cardio.

Yeah, I know how can it be? But all the data (buy any book or ebook or talk to a trainer) points to the fact that working out with weights is the most optimal way to lose weight. Not by running for 3 hours a night.

4) HIIT accelerates weight loss but almost NO ONE does it right.

People love to jump on the HIIT bandwagon these days because it's short and simple. Just 7 or 20 minutes a day, twice or three times a week! So fast! But if you're doing HIIT right, you can ONLY do it for 7 or 20 mins a day two or three times a week! If you're doing it right at the end you will feel like shit. Like you've run a marathon or finished a 2 hour workout! That's the point of HIGH INTENSITY Interval Training. 90% of you who think you're doing HIIT aren't really doing it at all.

5) Sleep matters.

Surprise! Getting enough sleep accelerates weight loss! Google or read up for more. Heck, sleeping more is better for almost everything. We've turned into a world full of sleep-lacking zombies. The worst part? A slight lack of sleep is not very obvious. You just function less optimally. Try getting enough sleep, you'll be surprised!

At the end of they day, it's really simple. Move more, eat less, live well. I've summed it up for you already. But it's just like telling a person: you want more money? save, invest and work hard. Simple right? But how many will actually follow through with it?

Well, having gone through the whole weight loss thing myself I wish you guys who are trying right now all the best! Good luck!

I think one way is to change your lifestyle. Especially for lazy people like me who don't have the determination to exercise. I end up giving up after a while. I noticed that when I was away on exchange in korea for 3 mths, I lost weight automatically without any extra exercise. So I'm trying to tweak my lifestyle here. But it's kind of hard to do so in sg. Weather is too hot. Any increase in physical activity makes me perspire like crazy and I lose the motivation to carry on.

Guest Guest

I think one way is to change your lifestyle. Especially for lazy people like me who don't have the determination to exercise. I end up giving up after a while. I noticed that when I was away on exchange in korea for 3 mths, I lost weight automatically without any extra exercise. So I'm trying to tweak my lifestyle here. But it's kind of hard to do so in sg. Weather is too hot. Any increase in physical activity makes me perspire like crazy and I lose the motivation to carry on.

what did u do in korea that make you lose weight? too much kimchi men? :P

You lose weight because you don't get your mummy good food ...

Guest daddy

Wah! This thread was started since 2006. so much advice from so many gym-fit gurus! Anyone has used these advice and lost weight? Those trying to lose weight can update us with your recent success stories or work-in-progress? Any before and after pics to share?

• 6 months later...
Food that is high in fiber:

• Legumes
  • Whole-grains products
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Whole-wheat pasta
  • Brown rice
  • Jacket potatoes
  • Peas
  • Beans
  • Lentils
  • Nuts & seeds
Ways to increase fiber intake:

• Eat whole fruits instead of drinking fruit juices
  • Replace white rice, bread & pasta with brown rice & whole-grain products
  • Choose whole-grain cereals for breakfast
  • Snack on raw vegetables
  • Substitute legumes for meat a couple of times per week
  • Experiment with international dishes that use whole-grains and legumes
  • Eat less processed foods in favour of fresh foods
  • Top pancakes with warmed fruit
  • Sprinkle high-fiber cereal on yogurt, smoothies and fruit dishes
  • Top pasta with steamed vegetables
  • Always eat a side vegetable with dinner
  • Eat the skin of baked potatoes
  • When dining out, order an extra side of vegetables
  • Add veggies, dried beans or barley to soups
  • Use beans in stews
  • Add oranges, apples, pears or mangos to salads
  • Snack on low-fat (lightly-salted or non-salted) popcorn
  • Use low-fat veggie dips and dressing
  • Never skip breakfast
  • Snack on cereal
  • Opt for packaged/processed foods that have the high fiber content
Benefits: 

• Aids in digestion 
  • Helps fight disease 
  • Helps in weight management

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.