Male HQ

How To Exercise & Lose Weight / Slim Down & Get Rid Of Love Handle Aka Spare Tyre? (Compiled)

worldangel

• 2 weeks later...
Guest undieslover

Hi, I always wanted to slim down. Try a lot of methods. Including having slimming pills but still no difference. I do not exercise. Anyone can help me?

Guest Guest

Hi, I always wanted to slim down. Try a lot of methods. Including having slimming pills but still no difference. I do not exercise. Anyone can help me?

thats why. cause u dont exercise.

no easy way out unless u start eating lesser and starve yourself.

I lost 7 kg in 6 months.. here's what I did different. From what I think is the most important/crucial to the more controversial advice...

1. Aerobic exercise. I run 4 - 5 km every day OR if I don't get to run, I'll stay at home and do statics. Mike Chang's Six Pack Shortcuts static video were what I used to do at home. This may sound very daunting or like a huge commitment, but it's really only 20 - 30 minutes each day. I have wasted more time wanking than that. Exercise. There is really no two way about it. If you really don't want to exercise, the other way is to severely curb your intake. EXERCISE EXERCISE EXERCISE. Sex can really be a good workout/substitute for workouts on your cheat days.

2. NO ALCOHOL. NO BEER. Really. Beers especially. They are toxic.

3. Drink lots of water and sleep enough. Sleep deprivation causes craving for simple sugars (which will in turn add to your caloric intake!)

4. I am a medical practitioner and let me say it out: there are no such things as slimming pills that we commonly prescribe to patient for weight loss. The closest one that I can think of is probably acarbose (which is a alpha-glycosidase inhibitor) - what it does is that it prevents breakdown of sugars in the diet, making it hard for your body to absorb them. YET I know of people who eat in excess of what they do normally and end up with weight gain. If there was truly a "slimming pill" that works effortlessly, all doctors will have hot bod.

5. What other medical ways are there? Surgery. Not liposuction, but rather fundoplication/partial gastrect. In simple terms, stapling your stomach. This is what we offer patients with morbid obesity because there are risks associated with these procedures. The risks are not terribly high, but only the morbid obese patients have risk factor so high that it makes the risk of surgery worthwhile. Besides, it's not as though these patients can continue to eat to their hearts' desire - the entire programme is still coupled with exercise and diet regulation.

6. Cut carbohydrates out of the diet. Till today, I eat fried chicken (popeyes, texas chicken, KFC etc) almost daily. This is probably not good for my cholesterol level, but it certainly did not increase my weight. I drink only water, pepsi/coke-light/zero. Gongcha 0% sugar, soy bean milk no sugar. I wouldn't recommend people follow my extreme fried chicken obsession, but I think cutting snacks, rice, fries, ICE CREAM, bread, pasta (the worst! it's almost pure carbo) away from your diet is probably a good idea.

Thanks Urakin for your useful information.

I din know Sleep deprivation causes craving for simple sugars, something alarming to know.

For a vegetarian, is a bowl or two of rice (white or brown) and 2 slices of wholemeal bread a day acceptable?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Thanks Urakin for your useful information.

I din know Sleep deprivation causes craving for simple sugars, something alarming to know.

For a vegetarian, is a bowl or two of rice (white or brown) and 2 slices of wholemeal bread a day acceptable?

I think it's in respect to your activity level. but that definitely sound not too excessive.

There was a period of time when I had quite a bad waistline. Mind you, I have a skinny frame, so a pot belly is really like a no no. I exercised (more) but didn't watch my diet. It took me 4 months to lose just 1 inch off my waist. That was a decade ago.

Now, at my age, I do not have the perfect 6 pecs/super slim torso, still within healthy means. Monitor your diet (consume more healthy options as mentioned by Urakin) and continue to exercise.

Exercising is to keep fit and be healthy. Nice body? That's a bonus.

I lost 7 kg in 6 months.. here's what I did different. From what I think is the most important/crucial to the more controversial advice...

1. Aerobic exercise. I run 4 - 5 km every day OR if I don't get to run, I'll stay at home and do statics. Mike Chang's Six Pack Shortcuts static video were what I used to do at home. This may sound very daunting or like a huge commitment, but it's really only 20 - 30 minutes each day. I have wasted more time wanking than that. Exercise. There is really no two way about it. If you really don't want to exercise, the other way is to severely curb your intake. EXERCISE EXERCISE EXERCISE. Sex can really be a good workout/substitute for workouts on your cheat days.

3. Drink lots of water and sleep enough. Sleep deprivation causes craving for simple sugars (which will in turn add to your caloric intake!)

4. I am a medical practitioner and let me say it out: there are no such things as slimming pills that we commonly prescribe to patient for weight loss. The closest one that I can think of is probably acarbose (which is a alpha-glycosidase inhibitor) - what it does is that it prevents breakdown of sugars in the diet, making it hard for your body to absorb them. YET I know of people who eat in excess of what they do normally and end up with weight gain. If there was truly a "slimming pill" that works effortlessly, all doctors will have hot bod.

5. What other medical ways are there? Surgery. Not liposuction, but rather fundoplication/partial gastrect. In simple terms, stapling your stomach. This is what we offer patients with morbid obesity because there are risks associated with these procedures. The risks are not terribly high, but only the morbid obese patients have risk factor so high that it makes the risk of surgery worthwhile. Besides, it's not as though these patients can continue to eat to their hearts' desire - the entire programme is still coupled with exercise and diet regulation.

6. Cut carbohydrates out of the diet. Till today, I eat fried chicken (popeyes, texas chicken, KFC etc) almost daily. This is probably not good for my cholesterol level, but it certainly did not increase my weight. I drink only water, pepsi/coke-light/zero. Gongcha 0% sugar, soy bean milk no sugar. I wouldn't recommend people follow my extreme fried chicken obsession, but I think cutting snacks, rice, fries, ICE CREAM, bread, pasta (the worst! it's almost pure carbo) away from your diet is probably a good idea.

You do realise that your choices for meat aren't ideal.

They're all covered in flour.

Your diet isn't a zero carb one.

You do realise that your choices for meat aren't ideal.

They're all covered in flour.

Your diet isn't a zero carb one.

yep yep agreed agreed. fried food is coated with flour - my consolation is that they are less than a bowl of rice.

ehhh are diet drinks free of carbs?! hahah I better go read.

yep yep agreed agreed. fried food is coated with flour - my consolation is that they are less than a bowl of rice.

ehhh are diet drinks free of carbs?! hahah I better go read.

I would recommend you not to consume them.

The chemicals in the meat and the deep frying of the batter will prove way worse than what a bowl of rice would do.

Diet drinks are free of carbs yes but they are full of artificial sweeteners.

They are used because the calories gained from them will not stored as fat and would be metabolised by the liver.

But they will prove to cause other harmful side effects.

I usually drink my tea with milk and my coffee black :)

And duhhh,water.

Oh if it's about the health effects, yea. Those I'm fully aware - I nag my patients not to eat them too :) but I know the risks la, and I choose to indulge hahah (I know I'm very naughty)

Yea I drink sugarless drinks haha like tea soy bean without sugar.

Actually, I feel the occasion sugary and salty stuff is fine. It's not that one consumes lots, on a daily basis. Usually, after those sinful stuff, I will exercise more to burn it off. Maybe not totally, but at least I tried. Haha..

One must be happy with food, of course with proper diet and intake. It must be compliment with sufficient exercise and rest too. :)

Guest Guest

Actually, I feel the occasion sugary and salty stuff is fine. It's not that one consumes lots, on a daily basis. Usually, after those sinful stuff, I will exercise more to burn it off. Maybe not totally, but at least I tried. Haha..

One must be happy with food, of course with proper diet and intake. It must be compliment with sufficient exercise and rest too. :)

yea i do indulge in sinful junk food as well.

when i eat ice cream, i will finish a pint in a day and burn it off by working it out. same for potatoe chips and M&M. 

i try to eat alot of the same thing at one shot till sick then i will stop the craving for the next few weeks.

it also better as I give myself a junk day and go clean the next few days.

yea i do indulge in sinful junk food as well.

when i eat ice cream, i will finish a pint in a day and burn it off by working it out. same for potatoe chips and M&M. 

i try to eat alot of the same thing at one shot till sick then i will stop the craving for the next few weeks.

it also better as I give myself a junk day and go clean the next few days.

oh i like the idea of eating a lot at one shot until sick. good idea to satisfy the craving.

my craving is fried chicken hahaha

I would say that, medical practitioner or not,  you are about 50% right.

EXERCISE is not the primary factor. NUTRITION is.   We cannot exercise away our sins of gluttony. Eating right is far more effective than exercising a lot.  And in general,  weight training is superior to aerobics.

You are right that sufficient sleep (and low stress) is important, and that sex is a good exercise.

You are right that the best drink is plain water,  although not in excessive amounts.

Instead of cutting out the carbohydrates from your diet,  eat the RIGHT carbohydrates.  Nothing can replace their beneficial effects, even if you stuff yourself with proteins.  Fried chicken is nasty.

Bariatric surgery is not a solution but a way to help people who don't have force of will.  It gives these people a short window of opportunity to change their eating habits before they return to the same state if they don't.

Edited by Steve5380

• 1 month later...

Yes, if you consider acceptable to be a fragile weakling with decaying health due to the body being deprived of necessary macro and micro nutrients,  

• 4 months later...

Hey, I'm just wondering how I can slim down my thighs. I am quite certain now that cardio such as jogging does not help and recently also read somewhere that jogging might actually increase the size of the thighs due to strengthening the thigh muscles.

So what other ways are there to slim down the thighs?

u cant dictate which part of body to slim down.

slimming is an overall process, ur body will decide which fats to melt and go first.

i run alot but my thigh dont get any bigger. in fact, i get slimmer n slimmer i decided to gym to tone up..

easy. just stretch out ur thighs and legs.

can u see muscle definition? if not, its covered by fat

a lean legs mean u can easily see muscle defintion on ur legs, thighs and calves.

Hey, I'm just wondering how I can slim down my thighs. I am quite certain now that cardio such as jogging does not help and recently also read somewhere that jogging might actually increase the size of the thighs due to strengthening the thigh muscles.

Don't trust all what you read.  Jogging will not significantly strengthen your leg muscles, although it gives you endurance.  For gaining strength, weight exercises are necessary (squats).

The way to slim down thighs (and the rest of you) is to change to healthy nutrition.  To stop eating the wrong foods is more effective than exercising, but weight exercises can make your legs look better by showing nice muscles when the fat comes down.

Reduce carb intake.

Diet is always the first step you wanna take when wanting to lose fat.

It's always diet and extreme discipline. No short cuts. I've always been commented that I have the built, but it's always the stubborn fats in the mid section. I lost 4 kgs over 2 months and now my abs are more visible, and can see a little of the Apollo belt line. This is what I do:

Absolutely no fast food

No fried food

Absolutely no supper/food after 9pm

Less carbo - less rice and noodles

Eat much less meals outside

Prepare my own food

One main meal a day - lunch OR dinner

SMALL snacks in between 2-3 hours

Lots of protein

Increased cardio/HIIT with weight training

Never starve yourself.

That's quite demanding already, but really, it's all in your mind for perseverance. Once you flout any of these rules, you WILL know and see the difference.

I have a different problem....I can't seem to put on weigh even if I eat more. If I don't do any exercise, then I just get a bigger stomach instead of getting bigger more evenly distributed around the face, arms, legs etc....

Is this an exercise issue or diet issue?

I have a different problem....I can't seem to put on weigh even if I eat more. If I don't do any exercise, then I just get a bigger stomach instead of getting bigger more evenly distributed around the face, arms, legs etc....

Genetic issue.

U r

Ectomorphic: characterized as linear, thin, fragile, lightly muscled, flat chested and delicate; described as cerebrotonic inclined to desire isolation, solitude and concealment and being tense, anxious, restrained in posture and movement, introverted and secretive.[4][5]

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

those who were fat since young, with fat gene, will need to work extra hard to maintain body. they can balloon very fast.

While this is

Endomorphic: characterized as round and soft with under-developed muscles and having difficulty losing weight; described as viscerotonic enjoying food, people and affection having slow reactions and being disposed to complacency.[4][5]

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

I would not lose hope even with all the  e--morphic stuff.   Maybe it helps eating smarter in addition to more.  If you can afford the time:  eat 5 meals a day, more or less equally spaced and of equal size.  A mix of protein and carbs.  No junk food,  prepare your own food in the simplest way. Carbs should be beans, lentils, green vegetables, staying away from white rice, white bread, noodles.  Protein can be eggs, chicken breasts, yogurt.  There is no need to fall for the commercial protein powders and drinks. 

Add to this a regular set of basic weight exercises done with heavy weight (relative to your capacity) to gain muscle. More muscle is gained while eating much and gaining weight,  and then alternate with periods of eating less to lose the weight but not the muscle because you keep the heavy work out.  Get 7 - 8 hours of continuous sleep every day.  Avoid stress.  

Improvements are long-term, but satisfaction grows over the years as you see the results.  In the end it becomes a happy addiction.

Edited by Steve5380

I would not lose hope even with all the  e--morphic stuff.

Instead of demotivation, look at it to understand your own bodies better.

:)

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Anyone who just don't do any exercise will get bigger and accumulate fats in those regions you mentioned, not just yourself.

Guest ShareMyExperience

I used to be 96kg and now I am 83kg.

What I did was I either gym (both cardio and weights) or jog, almost everyday. It took about 1 month to see a reduction of my first kg, and the rest followed through before I reach my desired weight now. in total it was about 6 months.

Diet wise, I cut my carbo by half, and occasionally still indulge in my sweet and fried stuff as I am really a food lover.

I take green tea tablets which aids in weight loss, and chromium which regulates my body sugar level.

Yes, my exercise regime continues now..

Instead of demotivation, look at it to understand your own bodies better.

:)

fab,  you posted earlier this comment about 'bodies' earlier, in response to Guest's post:

"U r 

Ectomorphic: characterized as linear, thin, fragile, lightly muscled, flat chested and delicate; described as cerebrotonic inclined to desire isolation, solitude and concealment and being tense, anxious, restrained in posture and movement, introverted and secretive.[4][5] "

If I am called "ectomorphic"  and read this,  I most probably want to commit suicide!  What a collection of NEGATIVES!!!

Constitutional Psychology  (the pairing of somehow arbitrarily defined body types with psychological traits)  has been discredited.  It is very negative to relay on such broad-brush generalizations that are highly unreliable for understanding one's body.

Some characteristics of our body are immutable. We cannot easily change our height  (today we can have bones enlarged),  our bone structure (reduction of body width is possible today), the color of our eyes (contacts can do this).   But many characteristics can be modified, corrected, learned.   Those "inclined to desire isolation, solitude and concealment and being tense, anxious, restrained in posture and movement, introverted and secretive"  can change much of this and become outgoing, self-confident, open, relaxed and stress-free.

If one is bothered by timidity, insecurity,  one can realize this and take steps to change these traits without having ever heard the word 'ectomorphic'.

• 1 month later...

there are many types of diets....choose one that works for u

running is IMPORTANT to lose that extra fats.

i went for low calories, low carb diet during my weight loss period. need to be strict for 6 mths and run everyday.

it requires discipline.

Guest Hot Swimmer

Discipline.... Discipline... is the key word. No McDonald, No KFC, No Burger King, No Laksa, No Nasi Lemak, No Char Shew Meat... No chicken rice and many more...

Breakfast eat cereal, milk and eggs.

Lunch vege rice, salad and fruits.

Dinner fat less rice dish and fruits.

Go gym everyday after work.

Drink sugarless soya to get protein.

Most important... NO SUPPER and Sleep before 10pm.

Not easy, but achievable.

Guest lewis lim

there are many types of diets....choose one that works for u

running is IMPORTANT to lose that extra fats.

i went for low calories, low carb diet during my weight loss period. need to be strict for 6 mths and run everyday.

it requires discipline.

Hope u really mean running and not just jogging.

Most people jog and jog but never lost weight

Thing is, they are at a comfortable pace already and they are just maintaining and not losing any weight/fats

For cardio, HIIT is the best. More intensive and lesser time

I have been doing HIIT since many years ago, HIIT the way to go!

Thing is, they are at a comfortable pace already and they are just maintaining and not losing any weight/fats

LOL....i already lost my weight n now get more attention from ppl

Yes HIIT is something which can be used. I would say if you are not a competitive athlete, there wouldn't be much harm to try and alternate HIIT and long slow distance running.

Discipline.... Discipline... is the key word. No McDonald, No KFC, No Burger King, No Laksa, No Nasi Lemak, No Char Shew Meat... No chicken rice and many more...

I think there should be a shift from discipline approach to an adherence approach. in other words, not one diet suits everyone. We have to try and find ways in which a balance can be achieved and yet lead a healthy lifestyle. I have always told people who are doing revamps of their diet or some lifestyle changes,"it's not how much you can lose, is how much you can keep." Yes if the person follows your diet that you mentioned, he or she can lose a decent amount of weight, but how long can this last? weeks? months? because end of the day we are talking about permanent lifestyle improvement. If you don't like bittergourd, it's pointless for me to try to stuff one down your throat. The same principle applies..

I think you have a very good plan.

If you don't mind, I like to suggest an alternative to RICE. There are carbohydrates that are much more nutritious. These are the leguminous, the family of beans and lentils. Of these, lentils are the best choice. And they are so easy to prepare! Thrown into boiling water, they are ready in 10 to 15 minutes. They mix with many other good foods. For example, I cook them with cut tomatoes. Separately I steam green vegetables like collard greens, mustard greens, kale, and broccoli for about 5 minutes. Then I add them to the lentils, and it is a first class dish.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.