Male HQ

How To Exercise & Lose Weight / Slim Down & Get Rid Of Love Handle Aka Spare Tyre? (Compiled)

worldangel

2 hours ago, xydboy said:

so what have you been doing during this period of time?

Well... I work out 4 times a week, run 1 - 2 times a week, eat 1 main meal (normal portion of dinner) with protein bars/shakes in between everyday. I don't take fast food nor fried food.

57 minutes ago, qsefthu78 said:

Well... I work out 4 times a week, run 1 - 2 times a week, eat 1 main meal (normal portion of dinner) with protein bars/shakes in between everyday. I don't take fast food nor fried food.

You only eat 1 main meal a day? no breakfast or lunch? Based on your picture, I believe the fat percentage is still a little high. Have you measured your body fat percentage?

Edited by xydboy

Follow me at http://instagram.com/ytraymond =)

• 2 months later...
Guest Bulky look
On 3/31/2016 at 5:56 PM, xydboy said:

You only eat 1 main meal a day? no breakfast or lunch? Based on your picture, I believe the fat percentage is still a little high. Have you measured your body fat percentage?

I think it's silly to be obsessed with low body fat.

My BMI is 25. I used to have 6pac abs but I prefer a bulky look. It is more difficult to build up my chest and my arms.

They say muscles are built through hard work but abs are built in the kitchen. I can still easily get back my 6pac abs simply by dieting for 1week or less.

I used to be a runner with thick thighs but slim fit body and arms. The problem with 6pac abs is that it is not visible when clothed even when wearing tight sports wear. Once I bulked up, I can feel my muscles stretching and filling up my clothes and the bulging is easily noticed by gays even in the street.

Having been on both sides of the fence, I can say that being bulky is more popular then being slim fit. Proof of the pudding is from those very shallow gays who are nicer to you.

3 hours ago, Guest Bulky look said:

I think it's silly to be obsessed with low body fat.

My BMI is 25. I used to have 6pac abs but I prefer a bulky look. It is more difficult to build up my chest and my arms.

They say muscles are built through hard work but abs are built in the kitchen. I can still easily get back my 6pac abs simply by dieting for 1week or less.

I used to be a runner with thick thighs but slim fit body and arms. The problem with 6pac abs is that it is not visible when clothed even when wearing tight sports wear. Once I bulked up, I can feel my muscles stretching and filling up my clothes and the bulging is easily noticed by gays even in the street.

Having been on both sides of the fence, I can say that being bulky is more popular then being slim fit. Proof of the pudding is from those very shallow gays who are nicer to you.

Its down to individual preference. Some people prefer to look lean, some people prefer to look bulky. I believe aesthetics is something individualised. So whatever recommendations given are based on what the person want's and not something we aspire to be. 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Cycle

I find it strange that my tummy can cycle through so drastic changes in only one day.

1. When I wake up, I do a bit of stretching and about 40 crunches to sculpt my abs since that's the time when my abs are leanest and most visible.

2. After I have a hefty breakfast and drinks lots of water, my tummy bloats out and my abs totally disappeared. It's like the before pics of those slimming adverts. LOL.

3. Even after I feel the food is digested, the bloating is still there since more meals will follow later.

4. I usually take my dinner late after my evening exercises. I seldom feel hungry that's why I only eat after exercising as that helps me to absorb the food. After dinner the tummy bloat will get bigger.

Sometimes for vanity sake, I don't even eat dinner when I want to let the abs still show for an evening out. I drink a small protein shake instead.

5. I'll only go to bed at least 2 hours after last food or drinks. But I'll drink a glass of water and pee before bed. That'll again bloat up my tummy.

6. Then I wake up the next morning, my abs will again show and I repeat my stretching and 40 crunches to cut it.

But alas, throughout the whole day it will seem that I don't have abs at all till the next morning when I wake up.

7. Sometimes for vanity I'll diet for a day just for the sake of keeping the abs visible when I have a date. But then I have a very active metabolism and will feel very hungry. It's no big deal and I can withstand the hunger and can diet further if I want to.

However, I'm afraid that keeping my abs through dieting will lose my muscle mass that took time to build up.

8. Anyway, I can choose between between being bulky or having abs but not both. Or is this natural, what people would call cycling between bulking up and cutting?

4 hours ago, Guest Cycle said:

I find it strange that my tummy can cycle through so drastic changes in only one day.

1. When I wake up, I do a bit of stretching and about 40 crunches to sculpt my abs since that's the time when my abs are leanest and most visible.

2. After I have a hefty breakfast and drinks lots of water, my tummy bloats out and my abs totally disappeared. It's like the before pics of those slimming adverts. LOL.

3. Even after I feel the food is digested, the bloating is still there since more meals will follow later.

4. I usually take my dinner late after my evening exercises. I seldom feel hungry that's why I only eat after exercising as that helps me to absorb the food. After dinner the tummy bloat will get bigger.

Sometimes for vanity sake, I don't even eat dinner when I want to let the abs still show for an evening out. I drink a small protein shake instead.

5. I'll only go to bed at least 2 hours after last food or drinks. But I'll drink a glass of water and pee before bed. That'll again bloat up my tummy.

6. Then I wake up the next morning, my abs will again show and I repeat my stretching and 40 crunches to cut it.

But alas, throughout the whole day it will seem that I don't have abs at all till the next morning when I wake up.

7. Sometimes for vanity I'll diet for a day just for the sake of keeping the abs visible when I have a date. But then I have a very active metabolism and will feel very hungry. It's no big deal and I can withstand the hunger and can diet further if I want to.

However, I'm afraid that keeping my abs through dieting will lose my muscle mass that took time to build up.

8. Anyway, I can choose between between being bulky or having abs but not both. Or is this natural, what people would call cycling between bulking up and cutting?

You seem to place a lot of importance in the way your abs LOOK.  Is it because you go shirtless all day long and you have to model?

It seems much more important how your stomach protrudes, that is, the size of your waist. 

Your waist size should not increase much when you eat or drink in moderation.

It could be that your abs and other core muscles don't have good muscular tone.

You do crunches every day, so they are supposed to have.

Yet it can help if you consciously keep them under tension, with tummy tucked in

and a mental image of having an imaginary corset that keeps the core compressed.

It helps to do this when you walk, when you are seated, when you are driving your car.

On 7/4/2016 at 2:25 AM, Guest Cycle said:

Why so conscious over your abs? To be so conscious isn't very natural. Just don't do it excessively or else it will be very psychological impactful..hmm...yes people would cycle between bulking and cutting but its not like what you have described. But seriously, after food or drinks, you will bloat out, your food and water have to be stored some where..unless a black hole exist in your stomach.

6 hours ago, MikeC said:

I swim n jog regularly and do maintain my calorie count. While majority of my body responds and remain lean,  the infamous stubborn fats at the sides (love handles) refuse to go away.  I have a sweet tooth n used to indulge in pastries n cakes. Sighh... Now paying the price.

Just started taking CLA n hope that my love handle would start to melt.

Studies have demonstrated little effect of CLA, even if it does, it would require mega doses and taken for a long duration (approx half a yr), before you can see that little result.

4 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Oh really? That is bad .... Any better way to get rid of love handle then? I do watch my diet carefully and do quite a bit of swimming n running.

Do more strength training! Many times this have been neglected. If you want to burn more calories at rest, then the basal energy expenditure must increase, and to do that, one of the ways is to increase the amount of muscles in the body. Think of muscles as babies, the more you have, the more mouth you need to feed, hence the more calories you burnt during rest. Swimming and running is good, keep that up. But if time is a concern, then you could tone it down a little and spend more time in the gym instead. If you do not have a gym, even working out using free body weight exercises at the park or fitness corner would be also as good. Diet is important, so do keep an eye on it.

14 hours ago, MikeC said:

I swim n jog regularly and do maintain my calorie count. While majority of my body responds and remain lean,  the infamous stubborn fats at the sides (love handles) refuse to go away.  I have a sweet tooth n used to indulge in pastries n cakes. Sighh... Now paying the price.

Just started taking CLA n hope that my love handle would start to melt.

CLAs have been extensively studied and seem to reduce fat when they come from natural sources (meat and dairy from grass fed animals) in large quantities, but large quantities of artificial CLAs in supplement form have negative consequences.  So, better stay away from CLAs.

7 hours ago, MikeC said:

True...I am aware but I find gym not sustainable for me as I dun enjoy doing weights but I do enjoy my cardio and so can sustain for long term.  

but thanks for good advice anyway... perhaps I will start gym when I find a buddy for mutual motivation and sustaining :) meanwhile I will monitor progress when I finish my bottle CLA in combination with my swims, runs and diet.

Then, just LIVE WITH YOUR LOVE HANDLES.

If you don't do weight training because "you don't enjoy it" unless you find a buddy for mutual motivation,  then you don't have motivation, plain and simple!

Too bad!  A time may come when the lack of weight training will not only favor your love handles but allow age to deteriorate your musculature, your bones, your supply of testosterone and libido, etc.  Then at, let's say, 70 years of age you will be all finished, a frail old man with or without love handles and a big tummy.  And you still won't enjoy weight training but you will enjoy sitting on a bench in the park feeding the pigeons and looking at the young folks passing by... wondering what happened to you. :o

22 hours ago, MikeC said:

True...I am aware but I find gym not sustainable for me as I dun enjoy doing weights but I do enjoy my cardio and so can sustain for long term.  

but thanks for good advice anyway... perhaps I will start gym when I find a buddy for mutual motivation and sustaining :) meanwhile I will monitor progress when I finish my bottle CLA in combination with my swims, runs and diet.

Maybe you should reflect and ask yourself why you do not enjoy lifting weights? Its pretty good on a long run. Lots of evidence highlights the benefits of doing weights. there are even guidelines available to suggest the "dose" you should do in a week. Perhaps some motivational factor might draw you into doing them, like you said, finding a buddy or such. I am not surprised when you lack the motivational drive. People who start off usually have low self efficacy and you will have a larger obstacle to cross. But what matters more is to ask yourself what you can do about it instead of sitting there passively. Active thinking and reflecting would bring you to greater heights, even if you don't take up strength training, at least you know yourself much better. You are currently in a state where you do not see it relevant to you in life and there is no point in putting in effort to gym. But just so you know, the risk of dying increases with the lack of strength (I kid you not). Strength is very important and if you don't start doing it now, you will suffer in the future. Evidence is strong hence it is why many guidelines locally and globally advocate the use of strength training. Start now so you don't have to suffer later.

On 7/7/2016 at 11:36 PM, MikeC said:

Thanks. Yeah, I can understand the heated emotions when pro-cardio camp discusses merits with pro-resistance training camp.  I am aware of merits of both (though we have to be careful of what we read from Internet research because many of these are behind the scenes sponsored by organizations whose business interests are in the multi billion dollar food supplements business, sports equipment, gyms, running equipment etc).

I have opted for cardio as main exercise because I enjoy my cardio workouts, and it has stronger benefits for cardio-vascular health for longer term.  Swimming is also good for all round overall fitness as advised by my doctor.  Love handles was just something I was looking into but it is not so serious a problem lah (at least my other half not complaining :) 

I believe in all round exercises - when I say I don't gym, it does not mean I do not engage in simple body weight exercises, which I do at home, together with some stretch bands exercises. Coupled with swimming (depends on how much one pushes oneself), strength training is incorporated.  Some people balanced equally cardio and resistance, some lean more towards one form - I definitely do not believe in totally sticking to one form. 

Finally, everyone of us has different /changing time resource, different/shifting goals at different points in our lives and based on these, make our best informed choices of what works best both now and for the sustainable long term and also evolve over time.

But's it's nice to hear your technical knowledge advice and also knowing it has worked for you.  Do keep them coming -although I can understand it can become frustrating if some one comes along with similar discussion that had been talked about before.

Btw, I assume that you too have some form of cardio routine cos heart health is becoming increasingly important in quick pace Singapore - no point in great muscle-skeletal health and fantastic body if one suffers due to poor cardio vascular health.

cheers.

Sure, that will be good as well. I think the confusion was that you mentioned you don't do weights, so in a sense we all presume you don't engage in any form of resistance training. Not to worry about my technical knowledge, I do share them repeatedly. Different people come in with different background. And yes, I do engage in some form of cardio routine as well. But its quite interesting when you engage in all these but things don't really change much. If that is the case, then repeatedly doing the same thing wouldn't make a difference, hence that was why I encourage you to do something different (weights training). 

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

Change mainly occurs everywhere else except love handles - hardest to get rid of.

Unfortunately, I read that we can't target only fat in a localized area (unlike muscle training) but basically need to lower whole body percentage fat.

That's why I thought to get some help from CLA - but I note the feedback given about CLA here in BW. Anyway, I bought 1 bottle liao, will just use it in combination with my fitness routine and monitor its effect. If does not work, will try something else. If it does, I will report here n grab another bottle :)

My aim is for below shape :)

image.jpeg

Not very difficult. Anyway just watch your diet and it will magically appear. I only do cardio only 2-3 times a week and strength train 5 times a week and with diet, it showed for mine. Its the hardest part because for guys, fats usually deposit in those regions (http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/3391738).

4 hours ago, MikeC said:

My aim is for below shape :)

image.jpeg

Excessive aim for shapes can lead to disappointment.

Instead, aim for functionality and health.

Every body is unique. The guy in the left will never look like the guy in the right. 

If love handles are excessive, the proper action is diet to reduce fat, and "fat burning pills" are a poor solution.

If there is no obesity and all there is left are irreducible love handles,  forget about them!  

There are more important things to do for your body and your figure. 

Weight training is one of them.  Its benefits go beyond building bigger muscles.

There is more to be gained by exerting force to activate muscles against resistance.

Stretching is another important activity that benefits the body.

Serious weight exercising is not something that fills with pleasure, 

and stretching is definitely not a pleasant thing to do.

But when there is motivation, likes and dislikes should not get in the way.

It is like following a university study.  It is no fun to study, to prepare for a test.

So if you only go by your likes and dislikes, and you need buddies to help you do things,

you will get what you put into it, which may be very little.  

You may always look at others as examples of how you would like to be

and never be satisfied with your own body.

2 hours ago, xydboy said:

Its the hardest part because for guys, fats usually deposit in those regions (http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/3391738).

The "love handles" is where the body seems to like to store its fat. But they are relatively harmless.  

Not so the intra-abdominal fat, visceral fat, which can be harmful. 

Even people who are not obese may have excessive abdominal fat around their organs,

But then, visceral fat responds better to exercise and diet than "love handles".

So we all should exercise and eat well to prevent excessive fat,

and don't worry if some remains as "love handles".

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.