Male HQ

What Is Best Chinese New Year Goodies

Guest Guest

when you say 'the best' you only tokking to have ONE item???

pardon my thickness, your relatives are visiting your place and you need to entertain them with CNY goodies? or you are visiting them and need to bring a gift?

if they are visiting, many of them? I am thinking maybe 3 families of 4 as a rough guide?

you will need

(a) Bak Kwa... the best? Lim Chee Guan at chinatown... queue time these few days - 4 hours.

- personally i just go to nearest bak gwa store and buy a kilo. it helps to cut the meat into bite sized pieces and put in air tight jar... else one person take one big slice... you need 5kg...

(b) Assortment of cookies, tarts, nuts, melon seeds etc. Just grab a tin of each variety and that should be enough.

© Mandarin Oranges. You must have at least 4 per visiting family to give as they leave. usually it's just 2. but for seniors better to give 2 pairs...

(d) Ang Pows... haha you are not married, no worries... the married and seniors give you. (but seniors won't be visiting you... it's you who need to visit THEM)

If you are visting seniors for CNY, just bring 4 mandarin oranges in a nice small carrier to go 'bai nian' ... be sure to collect back a different 4 mandarin oranges in 'exchange' as you leave... do not give them the carrier bag... the oranges to be held in your hands and given respectfully to the most senior of the house. If they know the custom, they will return the same number of mandarin oranges as you leave as 'going away gift' for good luck. There is no need for 'gifts'...

Hope the above helps.

Please note that the above is NOT law or strict rules. It's only a rough guide as observed tru the years with my visits and hosting guests. One variation for modern and young people who are gainfully employed, visiting friends... they bring a bottle of wine... and NO oranges... ;)

• 11 months later...
Guest chompchomp

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR 2012!

Every CNY, there is never a lack of angbaos and of course CNY GOODIES!

And over here, we sell CNY goodies at affordable prices!

All goods are handmade, and the taste is guaranteed! No artificial colouring or preservatives.

Service and quality will be guaranteed, these goodies have already been selling from a few years back and we have decided to open up a blog selling these too.

visit http://www.tumblr.com/blog/chompsfor-cny

or http://www.chompsfor-cny.blogspot.com/

for more details!

PINEAPPLE TARTS ARE THE BEST! =pp

mmm. i like those without the pineapple exposed! those with the pineapple filling wrapped!

mmm. i LOVE the small prawnrolls. but i can't find one thats really spicy! i went to bugis to look for one. but dun have! :(

i bought this cashew nut thats coated with sugar+sesame seeds!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

Im always a loyal supporter for danroll pastry pineapple tarts... i have done my ordering... cant wait to collect them next week... ;-p

Hihi

Care to b frens, chat, fun buddy, long term relationship n mit up?

I'm sincere guy here, I'm not here to fool around...

Hope u r sincere too...

Life Time Relationship / Partner is still the main priority among wat I'm seeking...

Chewly Brand Pineapple Rolls not bad... cheep and goot...

Bak Kua... any brand oso can... just put in toaster oven and heat for 2 minutes before eating... pre cut to 1 inch squares is best, especially with ice cold beer Tiger? haha yeah! or Kilkenny or HoeGarden or Heineken or Carlsberg special brew... or draft guiness stout... damn... now I'm super craving to do those things which I am controlling desperately not to eat to excess...

Actually you want solid bakua? go JB or Malacca... get those who CHAROAL GRILL their bakua instead of our current electric grill... the taste is totally different... alas, you might not be able to bring it in? I think pork products are banned or i'm mistaken?

most PLU have tissue paper thin and fragile ego... make your own to 'present' it? likelyhood of being commented on is 100%... but not 100% will say good... and the Queen in the PLU will burst forth to defend the self made product... and defend, and defend... and angry, and hurt... and it just kills your festive spirit...

:)

just buy from any shop and have fun criticising it lor... no need to present yourself as target for criticism constructive or otherwise...

this year, just buy the mass produced pineapple rolls SGD$8.50 per small container.... can leow... not bad...

yet to find something that is SO DAMN OUTSTANDING at a reasonable (read cheep) price... blind taste test... sweeter? less sweet? well chopped? corse? batter too milky? too buttery? any spice added? salty??? not well mixed? give and take... all around there... depend on you personal tongue of preference...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.