Male HQ

Discussion Before / On / During Chinese New Year (compiled)

erection day

Guest nostalgia

Ah, I ALWAYS buy a packet of White Rabbit Sweet - so milky and chewy and completely reminded me when I was a kid and this brand of sweet is my favourite then. Still popluar esp during this time of year

Chinese new year....a period when most of people looking forward to..Those who dont celebrate will yearn for the super long weekend and of course many will looking forward to reunion and enjoy with their love ones.

During this period, almost all my family members will be away for their oversea trips, leaving me savaging the overnite food and lonely at home. Friends are away too...mostly to Bangkok or further away. I felt exceptionally lonely and boring...but i still enjoy my day off by lazing around.....and of course having my good rest.... ;)

well you dont have to suffer alone Thaiboyz,

start organizing your gathering, i am sure there are other souls here that will spend CNY alone as well...

Hey

Thanks.

I used to be alone during CNY period and somehow get used to it already.

This year, i plan to go gym and watch many DVDs at home...hehe

:D

Thaiboyz, why don't you invite Froggie, crocgi, and squidgy to your house for strip mahjong. :D:lol:

You guys can battle 3d3n then you won't feel alone.

haha....Great suggestion.

I dont know the Majong game and i hardly read chinese character.

Strip poker might be better....hmm...but to do that for 3D3N abit too much lah. :yuk:

Yes! White Rabbit milk sweet is a must have! Also a must have is Van Houten chocolates, those small rectangular ones wrapped in yellow, orange and brown papers... Ah... So CNY!... :)

I also like the "big white rabbit" sweet very much....

Buaya... You know who am I?

Guest mr smith

I born in the year of snake. Anyone into chinese horoscope thing? Is the year of pig going to be good for those born in the year of snake. I dont know what snake I am- got gold snake lah, fire snake, water snake.....

Hope it doent rain on my parade tomorrow. ...................And hopefully got time to flirt with some of the hunky sellers there. :P

Hmmm ........ good idea :thumb: And after that, drop by the nearby sauna :D

a good oral sex makes your day, a good anal sex makes your "hole weak"

Just came back from Chinatown. The place is absolutely packed with people even though its drizzling on and off. The atmosphere is just special- everyone you see in jovial mood- and the buzz of activities there is just electrifying. My friend doesnt like crowd too much so we came back early. The light-up later should be quite special tonight.

Guest OFFICE BOY

My mum always prepare steamboat on New Year's Eve. I'm a bit sick of it. How I gently hint to her about a change of menu without getting hit on the head?

Sick or not, I think you only need to eat it once a year. Your mom goes through the trouble of going to market early in the morning and maybe preparing the meal for everyone to eat days ahead. I think the least you could do is to appreciate her for her trouble and her love for the family to prepare the food.

My suggestion for you is to maybe get her a Korean BBQ hot pot which you can cook or BBQ the meat so as to add varieties to your upcoming meal.

Hope the above suggestion helps. :)

The steamboat is a tradition that a lot of families follow. It signifies a reunion of the family, all gathering around a hot pot to eat. The beginning of spring time is still cold and with the steamboat the family can gather together to keep warm and eat hot food.

My family will always eat steamboat during the eve... But I wonder how long we can keep it up as my siblings are all getting married...

I remember my mum used to remind me that i need to get a haircut before CNY, put on new clothes and shoes for a good start...bla bla bla..Oh yes, those spring cleaning...clear away old stuffs and tidy up the store room....so many things to do before the new year. I am simply too lazy....But i still get a new haircut before CNY. :lol:

And also to return money and books borrowed before the New Year, to change a new bed sheet, to help clear the fridge etc... We will almost always throw away bags and bags of stuff right before the eve of the New Year... Sometimes I wonder how we can accumulate so much useless things... :P

Oh, and we will be told to try not to wash hair or sweep the floor on the first day...

My mum also dun like us to buy new shoes from the 1st to the 15th day...

As I 'm working in my flat with the windows open, the heavenly smeil of cake waft down to my room. No, not the brown kind of cake which you make in the toilet. But the smell of home-made new year cakes or cookies some diligent housewives still lovingly do before the CNY. The smell does bring back many memories. All pleasant.

I born in the year of snake. Anyone into chinese horoscope thing? Is the year of pig going to be good for those born in the year of snake. I dont know what snake I am- got gold snake lah, fire snake, water snake.....

Just for "fun" for those who don't believe in Chinese Astrology/Chinese Sign Compatibilty:

http://chinese.astrology.com/compat/

a good oral sex makes your day, a good anal sex makes your "hole weak"

The story goes that once every 300+ days, a monster named '年兽' will come out to eat humans. During this time, humans found out that those who wore red will survive while those who dun have red will be eaten. Thus, every time the monster will appear, they will wear red. Thus, the concept of a year (年) and the tradition of wearing red and putting up red papers at their doors during this 'new year'.

Also this brings about the need to say '恭喜' as a way to congratulate one another that they survived the 年兽 's attack.

Also, humans found out that this 年兽 is also afraid of loud sounds of the fire cracker. Thus the use of fire crackers during the new year.

The tradition of '守岁' is also from this story. Children keep awake throughout the night to make sure that the 年兽 will not eat their parents.

But of course, we all know this is just a story. But this IS the story being told for almost all of CNY's tradition.

:)

The tradition of '守夜' is also from this story. Children keep awake throughout the night to make sure that the 年兽 will not eat their parents.

Oh I see. Maybe I will ask my nephews to keep vigil for me. Then I will dial for Macdonald and order pepper burger or something for them. Just like the tv ad. ha ha. only joking. thanks for highlighting the unique Chinese custom.

Sunday Times's review of bak kwa. Surprise- Lim Chee Guan came in third.

Kim Hock Guan (4 stars): 'Each spice is a piece of evenly flavoured meaty goodness....the longer you chomp away, the more the aroma seeps out.'

Bee Cheng Hiang (3 half stars): 'Smoky yet juicy, sweet but not overly so...lacks a distinctive, lingering aftertaste...'

Lim Chee Guan (3 stars): 'The taste is uneven...the bits that are not fat tend to be leathery..'

Fragrance (2 half stars): 'Reddish and a little charred,... a bit on the salty side and swims in so much oil, it seems slightly rancid.'

I always take any review with a pinch of salt. Ultimately, it's up to you.. A trusted friend's recommendation is still the best. Enjoy!

The tradition of '守夜' is also from this story. Children keep awake throughout the night to make sure that the 年兽 will not eat their parents.

I thot 守夜 is for those guys cruising OneSeven when they are open 24 hours on 年除夕 to look for men who will eat their cock?

Any pig bottoms here want to 守夜 in BKK? :)

EDIT: Sorry I mean 守岁 not 守夜. Dun go for that old yet one...

Just to check with you guys, how many people here 30 years old ( me ) still collect Ang Bao from parents & relatives. Do you think that if reach mid 30 or 40 should not take anymore? Unsure those who have bro or sis that are married but younger than you, will you dare to take from them even they give you? I really feel weird now.

The big new in Taiwan this week is about few thousand tons of sick pig meal being processed into sauces, hak kaw, meal balls and meal servicing at buffets. The unhygenity of those slaughyt houses show in footage I saw, make me stay away from pork.

Must one really really wear a new shirt, preferably red, on the first day of CNY??? What's the story or logic behind this?

not red shirt but RED underwear !!!!! :D:D especially if you want to win all the money from the table !!! but of cos dont let the rest of the gambler know la

Do you think that if reach mid 30 or 40 should not take anymore?

You dont have to worry. There'll come a time when your relatives 'conveniently' stop giving you ang pow. Then you'll know for sure that you are too old. It happened to me years ago. Only my dear parents still give purely for 'good luck'.

Anyway, do people eat tang yuan on the 15th of CNY? My family stopped this tradition long time ago.

Anyway, do people eat tang yuan on the 15th of CNY? My family stopped this tradition long time ago.

unsure why your parents stop doing that, maybe you can ask them. For me, not only CNY eve & 15th but even normal day we having dinner together too most time.

So many RED underwears now in men's dept in big dept stores (Taka, Isetan, Robinson, Tang etc) ..... means the gamblers would grab this first .. ?? :lol:

I bought 2 pairs of red undies thinking that it will be useful when i play mahjong.. The end results is ... I lose quite a fair bit... :swear:

Anyway, do people eat tang yuan on the 15th of CNY?  My family stopped this tradition long time ago.

unsure why your parents stop doing that, maybe you can ask them. For me, not only CNY eve & 15th but even normal day we having dinner together too most time.

湯圓is for 冬節. Which is nearing the end of the lunar month.

湯圓is for 冬節. Which is nearing the end of the lunar month.

erection day, maybe your mother find that it is troublesome to make 湯圓, so she stop it. However now most place include super market do sell that, got different favour too, you can buy home instead, just boil & done.

It's true. She's been diligently making it for years. And nobody in the family bother to eat them.

Now she dont make them anymore, I complain. :oops:

hehehe... thats what happen to many of us.. we take things for granted most of the time... we only start to treasure it when it is not around anymore... :unsure:

• Guest locked this topic