Male HQ

Noisy Neighbours

fab

How does one deal with it?

Be it upstair or opposite.

I have one family of 3 opposite but with the volume of 30. The way they talk and laugh are like screaming and shouting.

The one upstair, I suspect at least 10 persons staying through subletting of 2 rooms, according to the female owner who accidently revealed to me.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Peace

Erm, can write a letter to residents' committee?

or pretend "residents' committee" and then issue them a fake letter to warn them :whistle:

Guest Anonymous

Write to your HDB area office.

Check your HDB area office's address and contact details at http://www.hdb.gov.sg.

Give details of the offender's HDB block and unit number, observations and date/time of said observations, your suspicions and request for investigation to be carried out.

You will have to disclose your own contact details for HDB to give you an update on the investigations.

Guest proof needed

Write to your HDB area office.

Check your HDB area office's address and contact details at http://www.hdb.gov.sg.

Give details of the offender's HDB block and unit number, observations and date/time of said observations, your suspicions and request for investigation to be carried out.

You will have to disclose your own contact details for HDB to give you an update on the investigations.

tecpel-digital-sound-level-meter-nose-meter-db-meter-taiwan-export-manufactuer-P337114.jpg

perhaps you need this also.

to host:

Is your neighbor from mainland?

Too many people in a flat?

HDB has a maximum number of tenants ruling

Noisy neighbours

If they have plants, call NEA for their Dengue Fever check

If they have pets, call NEA for unlicensed pet ownership

If they have nothing, wait till 1030 pm, contact the police.

Maybe, a hunky police may knock on your door... theirs, uncle police!

My apology, i forget to mention that I have already spoken to HDB b4.

Coincidently they are both of the same race and no, they are not from mainland.

The one opposite is from the south and the one on top is from the North. They love to pound spices.

Anyway, they love to rearrange their furniture daily by dragging.

I know I cant do anything about the one opposite. Its more of their bad habits. Eg, tuning to very high volume for TV/radio till few families away can hear.

As for the one upstair, one hdb officer came b4. He "spot-checked" their unit at 7 pm and he naively believed them that there are only 5 persons staying despite the amount of shoes and laundry on the corridor.

I did a mental calculation by counting those that I happen to see (everytime we shared lifts). I am ure there are at least 10 persons staying in.

The last advice that the HDB officer told me is, if I am still not happy, I can go for mediation with them. But seriously, i doubt it will work which is y i havent done it.

Edited by fab

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest take action!

The one opposite is from the south and the one on top is from the North. They love to pound spices.

I know I cant do anything about the one opposite. Its more of their bad habits. Eg, tuning to very high volume for TV/radio till few families away can hear.

As for the one upstair, one hdb officer came b4. He "spot-checked" their unit at 7 pm and he naively believed them that there are only 5 persons staying despite the amount of shoes and laundry on the corridor.

I did a mental calculation by counting those that I happen to see (everytime we shared lifts). I am share there are at least 10 persons staying in.

The last advice that the HDB officer told me is, if I am still not happy, I can go for mediation with them. But seriously, i doubt it will work which is y i havent done it.

Held a campaign, get everyone to involve and sign on peace requisition form!

Guest Tu Lan

I did a mental calculation by counting those that I happen to see (everytime we shared lifts). I am share there are at least 10 persons staying in.

No Use reporting to police or HDB lah ... the one staying 1 floor above and below of mine are the same race, the neighbourhood police are also their race but i'm different race from them, so at the end of the day i lost too !!! they take revenge by putting ladies panties at my iron gate, pour urine, throw rubbish at my unit, throw ketchup satcet, break my plant one by one and the list goes on ... what to do i have to endure until i could sell my house and get out of this place.

Guest Stop complaining

No Use reporting to police or HDB lah ... the one staying 1 floor above and below of mine are the same race, the neighbourhood police are also their race but i'm different race from them, so at the end of the day i lost too !!! they take revenge by putting ladies panties at my iron gate, pour urine, throw rubbish at my unit, throw ketchup satcet, break my plant one by one and the list goes on ... what to do i have to endure until i could sell my house and get out of this place.

It sounds like if you keep on complaining, especially in restaurant, at the end you'll get some additional items in your food. :whistle:

Guest Winner

Which HDB? I encountered same problem too with neighbour dragging objects daily and I recorded them. The HDB officer was quite passionate in helping me. He went over to the neighbour to tell her politely and he hide my identity when the neighbour enquired who make the complains. The officer than told me to call him via HP if the neighbour still behave inconsiderately and he will help me contact police. If the owner did not take heed of HDB reminders, she might be given notice to move out....hmmm that is what the officer told me. Now my neighbour scared liao and have been quite silent. But I still kept the recorder....in case they are needed as proof. hahaha

Which HDB? I encountered same problem too with neighbour dragging objects daily and I recorded them. The HDB officer was quite passionate in helping me. He went over to the neighbour to tell her politely and he hide my identity when the neighbour enquired who make the complains. The officer than told me to call him via HP if the neighbour still behave inconsiderately and he will help me contact police. If the owner did not take heed of HDB reminders, she might be given notice to move out....hmmm that is what the officer told me. Now my neighbour scared liao and have been quite silent. But I still kept the recorder....in case they are needed as proof. hahaha

I spoke to an police officer from police post b4.

He said there's nothing the police can do. Only HDB can help..

now wat...

actually i m thinking of speaking to my MP to help me to speak to HDB regarding HDB officer not doing a thorough good job in checking.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Guest

Maybe you can buy them a carpet for their furniture. I do know some family have those heavy wooden chairs...so when its heavy, most people would just drag it across the cement floor instead of lifting.

Hi Nightingale,

Your case sound quite bad too.

I truely empathize with u regarding the elephant stamping, dragging and pounding etc. From my observation of both the neighbours, this race seems to be very reluctant to spend on renovation, especially on flooring. When I spoke to a friend of the same race, he readily admitted that he would never spend such amount for renovation. They are very glad simply to have a roof over them, according to him. Hence, the unfortunate thin flooring.

About the unearthly hours, mine will continue to about 2 am and as early as 5 am. So I have every reason to believe that there are at least 2 persons sleeping in the room. I have seen a couple sleeping in a queen size bed in the living room when i went up to talk to them in about 12 am.

All in all, I suspect there are at least 10 persons staying which is against the HDB rules. My reason for speaking with the MP is not to deal with the noisy neighbour but rather, with the ineffective HDB officer.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Winner

Winner was fortunte to have a helpful HDB officer willing to give his HP number for immediate crisis. My case was not so lucky. Many years ago, living directly above me was a small Chinese family. On some nights between 2 and 4 a.m. I would hear knocks and dragging of furniture, followed by loud splashing of water in their toilet. My conclusion - they were too busy mopping their floor in the day, so they chose to do it in the unearthly hours. People drag furniture not because they want to change position but I think it's because the mopper is an idealist mopper who will not leave any area unmopped.

The heavy elephantine steps must belong to the father while the light running steps must belong to his daughter. It must be their thin flooring that have caused all these noises. Surely I cannot demand that the girl stop running about in their own home. And of course it would be impossible to ask them to change their flooring just to suit me. So I just tolerated and recorded the times of disturbances for future use.

Somehow, things have improved. But one morning just before 7 a.m. came the loud sound of pounding. Must be pounding spices! I tolerated. Then another morning it was repeated. But this time, the pounding was muffled. They must have used cloth to minimise the sound. Why? Could it be their neighbours complaining? I don't know. But now I have learnt to accept upstairs noises. I do not intend to approach the Residents Committee (RC) at all, nor least of all my MP.

May be the officer pity me for staying alone and yet bullied by noisy bitch upstairs, that is why is stood with me...haha

According to the HDB officer, he told me that HDB floor dividing the storey is usually build very thin. The noise will be more stark if you stay in smaller size room eg 3-room flat. However, I also spoke to another neighbour who shifted out recently and she told me that noise not only travel downward to your house but also upward and sideways too. As such, you are not the only one affected. The immediate neighbours residing next to your upper floor neighbour will likely hear the same elephant foosteps and furniture dragging sound. You can thus ask them to be your witness or collaborate with them against the culprit. I believe they too cannot bear the midnight sound.

Hi Nightingale,

I truely empathize with u regarding the elephant stamping, dragging and pounding etc. From my observation of both the neighbours, this race seems to be very reluctant to spend on renovation, especially on flooring. When I spoke to a friend of the same race, he readily admitted that he would never spend such amount for renovation. They are very glad simply to have a roof over them, according to him. Hence, the unfortunate thin flooring.

I think it is about individual upbringing. At home, I make sure I have every rubbers stoppers on my wooden chairs or tables. It doesn’t cause a bomb, go diaso and you can find different design to fit all sort of furnitures. If a person is out to find trouble, than you shouldn’t let them get away easy. Send a harsh letter to HDB if you are certain someone violated the rules. Your informations will usually be kept confidential.

Guest Winner

Winner was fortunte to have a helpful HDB officer willing to give his HP number for immediate crisis. My case was not so lucky. Many years ago, living directly above me was a small Chinese family. On some nights between 2 and 4 a.m. I would hear knocks and dragging of furniture, followed by loud splashing of water in their toilet. My conclusion - they were too busy mopping their floor in the day, so they chose to do it in the unearthly hours. People drag furniture not because they want to change position but I think it's because the mopper is an idealist mopper who will not leave any area unmopped.

The heavy elephantine steps must belong to the father while the light running steps must belong to his daughter. It must be their thin flooring that have caused all these noises. Surely I cannot demand that the girl stop running about in their own home. And of course it would be impossible to ask them to change their flooring just to suit me. So I just tolerated and recorded the times of disturbances for future use.

Somehow, things have improved. But one morning just before 7 a.m. came the loud sound of pounding. Must be pounding spices! I tolerated. Then another morning it was repeated. But this time, the pounding was muffled. They must have used cloth to minimise the sound. Why? Could it be their neighbours complaining? I don't know. But now I have learnt to accept upstairs noises. I do not intend to approach the Residents Committee (RC) at all, nor least of all my MP.

May be the officer pity me for staying alone and yet bullied by noisy bitch upstairs, that is why is stood with me...haha

According to the HDB officer, he told me that HDB floor dividing the storey is usually build very thin. The noise will be more stark if you stay in smaller size room eg 3-room flat. However, I also spoke to another neighbour who shifted out recently and she told me that noise not only travel downward to your house but also upward and sideways too. As such, you are not the only one affected. The immediate neighbours residing next to your upper floor neighbour will likely hear the same elephant foosteps and furniture dragging sound. You can thus ask them to be your witness or collaborate with them against the culprit. I believe they too cannot bear the midnight sound.

Hi Nightingale,

I think it is about individual upbringing. At home, I make sure I have every rubbers stoppers on my wooden chairs or tables. It doesn’t cause a bomb, go diaso and you can find different design to fit all sort of furnitures. If a person is out to find trouble, than you shouldn’t let them get away easy. Send a harsh letter to HDB if you are certain someone violated the rules. Your informations will usually be kept confidential.

There used to be some kid in the neighbourhood who would keep screaming and screaming in the middle of the night.

If that family were to be staying above me, i would call police to report child abuse.

But then again, maybe no point.

Police these days getting more and more helpless.

Only good to look at but cannot function. <_<

Plain clothes even more useless.

Not worth looking at to begin with.

"Kinsey says everyone has homosexual tendencies in various degree. YOU'RE ALL GAY!!!" ~ from some kid I overheard in a KFC.

Guest Guest

i had this problem with my neighbour since last apr.

She would hurled vulgarities at me, throw rubbish, spat on my side of the corridor and harasses me on a daily basis.

I endured for 6 mths until I started taking action against them.

I called/emailed Town Council for the rubbish, HDB for the nosie, NEA for the spitting, Police for the harassment.

Thank God I recorded all these on my handphone and presented them to the authorities.

It really reinforce you case. Without that, difficult for them to imagine what you are going thru.

The other thing is that do no hesistate to call the Police anytime. I called the police at 6 am when my neighbour was cursing me outside my corridor. 3 officers came and thank god for this butch sister who told her to stop or be taken to the police station. I just need to play back all my recordings for her to listen. U can also build your case this way or file a magistrate report. Also speak to other neighbours who are also affected but prefer to be silent bcoz they do not want trouble.

If more than 2 or 3 neighbours come together, the case is stronger against the nuisance neigbours.

I know it's a tiring and frustrating process but u will learn to be strong and wise throughout the process.

Now my neigbour is quiet bcoz she knows i am not someone to play with.

If its feet stamping, dragging furniture or other adhoc noises, how to go about recording?

Cant possibly keep the recorder on all the time.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest weliam

i had this problem with my neighbour since last apr.

She would hurled vulgarities at me, throw rubbish, spat on my side of the corridor and harasses me on a daily basis.

I endured for 6 mths until I started taking action against them.

I called/emailed Town Council for the rubbish, HDB for the nosie, NEA for the spitting, Police for the harassment.

Thank God I recorded all these on my handphone and presented them to the authorities.

It really reinforce you case. Without that, difficult for them to imagine what you are going thru.

The other thing is that do no hesistate to call the Police anytime. I called the police at 6 am when my neighbour was cursing me outside my corridor. 3 officers came and thank god for this butch sister who told her to stop or be taken to the police station. I just need to play back all my recordings for her to listen. U can also build your case this way or file a magistrate report. Also speak to other neighbours who are also affected but prefer to be silent bcoz they do not want trouble.

If more than 2 or 3 neighbours come together, the case is stronger against the nuisance neigbours.

I know it's a tiring and frustrating process but u will learn to be strong and wise throughout the process.

Now my neigbour is quiet bcoz she knows i am not someone to play with.

You gave quite a lot of info, so i gather your neighbour is of the age that is not very tech savvy, and easily intimidated by police, count your blessings this neighbour did not use recording equipment to record your very own embarrasing actions .

I personally am terrified of being recorded by my neighbours , becos on off days and when i am at home to save on unnecesary laundry i go about doing housework naked and sometimes i forgot i left my kitchen window wide open and my condo neighbours might call the police if they see my hairy snake accidentally.

Guest Guest

Other than noise pollution, neighbours also cause other problems. One of them is cigarette smoking or burning many joss sticks along the common corridor. Another is their indifference (those living in ground or lower floors) to drivers/riders who leave their vehicle engines idling just outside/below their flats, thus causing air pollution while they are chatting or loading/unloading/delivering goods for more than 5 minutes.

Btw, Weliam, I am always naked at home too. I always hang three long-sleeved shirts at the kitchen windows to block the view by people from the neighbouring block.

Weliam, if i do not have the recordings of her cursing/swearing/rapping in hokkien. Yes, my neighbour is very talented. She raps in Hokkien cusring me as a mute who refused to react to her taunting and would die alone in the house and my corpse left to rot.... I was actually recording while she was outside my corridor. I have to if not the authorities would not bother to attend to my case. I hope you understand my extreme measure.

Nightingale, I am always half naked in my house. My windows are closed but the upper shutter are always open for ventilation. I noticed there was this lady at the opposite block(1 floor higher) looking towards my direction at night. Out of curiousity, i went over to investigate. I could see into my room from where she was standing.

Hanging 3 shirts may not block the full view. FYI

Guest Guest

If its feet stamping, dragging furniture or other adhoc noises, how to go about recording?

U have to be motivated to do a bit of investigation. Outplay, outwit, outlast :)

Keep a log on when the noise starts. There's a pattern.

Then go up to check (if u can) quietly to find out what the activities. Also note details like

age/physical appearance/ht/wt. Can get names even better. Find out from other neighbours if they are affected. Make friends with them. They can vouch for you and reinforce your case.

For your case, go to Meet-Your-MP Session and speak to him/her. The RC members will be there.

Present your findings to ask them to mediate.

Thank you for your pointers. :thumb:

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Noise hater

Nightingale, I am always half naked in my house. My windows are closed but the upper shutter are always open for ventilation. I noticed there was this lady at the opposite block(1 floor higher) looking towards my direction at night. Out of curiousity, i went over to investigate. I could see into my room from where she was standing.

Hanging 3 shirts may not block the full view. FYI

Aiya, why so troublesome to hang shirts. You never visit ikea meh? One shower curtain of non fabric type (colour of your choice) cost only $5. It looks nice as curtain in the kitchen than shirts. You can use your bamboo pole to serve as curtain rod. Trim the length of the curtain to your desired choice and wa-lah a nice kitchen curtains fully concealing your house and can be pulled back during the day for sunlight if you are not nude. You can also choose those transulent type where the view is masked and yet still can allow sunlight to come in.

There are cassette recorder that activated by noise. Those type people used in school. Mine can record up to 1.5 hours on each side of the cassette, in total 3 hours per cassette continuous recording (90 minutes X 3 slow speed selection). However, if I choose to allow my cassette to be activated by noise (dragging, shouting, stomping) than it will be more than 3 hours and you can leave the cassette on for a day. Battery will not be used up without noise. For your info I use Panasonic Mini Cassetted re

Guest Noise hater

There are cassette recorder that activated by noise. Those type people used in school. Mine can record up to 1.5 hours on each side of the cassette, in total 3 hours per cassette continuous recording (90 minutes X 3 slow speed selection). However, if I choose to allow my cassette to be activated by noise (dragging, shouting, stomping) than it will be more than 3 hours and you can leave the cassette on for a day. Battery will not be used up without noise. For your info I use Panasonic Mini Cassetted recorder RQ-L36 for your info,

Many thanks.

Roughly how much does it cost? Where did u get yours?

There are cassette recorder that activated by noise. Those type people used in school. Mine can record up to 1.5 hours on each side of the cassette, in total 3 hours per cassette continuous recording (90 minutes X 3 slow speed selection). However, if I choose to allow my cassette to be activated by noise (dragging, shouting, stomping) than it will be more than 3 hours and you can leave the cassette on for a day. Battery will not be used up without noise. For your info I use Panasonic Mini Cassetted recorder RQ-L36 for your info,

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Noise hater

Many thanks.

Roughly how much does it cost? Where did u get yours?

It cost around $50, think I got it at Sim Lim Square 5 years ago.

Guest Guest

sometimes i forgot i left my kitchen window wide open and my condo neighbours might call the police if they see my hairy snake accidentally.

wahh.. condo type you know... but what difference does it make if it was condo neighbours or hdb neighbours??

It all about structure and science. Google it and you will get the answer. Nothing horror.

got people hear nosie of marbles from upstairs even though nobody actually lives up there?

Guest Guest

Everywhere you go, you will find some weirdo. Learn to live with it.

My downstairs neighbour turns on her battery musical lanterns at 3am every alternate morning.

Why 3am? dun she know is the time when yin energy is the strongest! Crazy?

Guest Kendall

In my view, there are 2 reasons why one gets disturbances of noises from neighbours.

Firstly, it is the social behaviors and consideration for others.

In Spore's context, more often than not, Sporeans are socially insensitive. Which means many genuinely do not know that their behavior is a nuisance to the people and surroundings.

Secondly, the HDB walls and slabs are often constructed much thinner than those in condominiums.

A difference in a few millimetres in thickness would make a great difference in the insulation of sound.

More like they do not care - selfish.

In my view, there are 2 reasons why one gets disturbances of noises from neighbours.

Firstly, it is the social behaviors and consideration for others.

In Spore's context, more often than not, Sporeans are socially insensitive. Which means many genuinely do not know that their behavior is a nuisance to the people and surroundings.

Secondly, the HDB walls and slabs are often constructed much thinner than those in condominiums.

A difference in a few millimetres in thickness would make a great difference in the insulation of sound.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Guest

use bamboo stick n hit or knock the ceiling...

Better dun. Like that no influencing power when case presented b4 police/HDB/RC committee.

Al'so pls refrain from using vulgarities at your noisy neighbour.

Like that when you, the victim (nice quiet neighbour) 'fire' your complaint, they (evil ones) sure 'die' one.

In addition to using bamboo hitting the ceilings, the one below will always be on the losing end.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

• 1 year later...
Guest Lurker01

Sorry to dig up this ancient thread. How are things going for you guys?

Every weekend from Friday night on until Sunday night, the unit above mine is extremely irritating.

There would be:

heavy stomps and footsteps around the house, dragging of furniture,

very very frequent slamming of heavy stuffs (like weights) onto the ground,

annoying bouncing thuds from what sounds like a giant metal dice thrown onto the ground,

and very collision-like impacts.

Imagine you're just sitting there doing your stuff or lying down on your bed, and these constant loud noises and sudden impacts keep coming from above you. It feels stressful, like something is going to fall on your head.

I'm just trying to get some peace and rest during the weekends.....

What shall I do? Would writing in a complaint to HDB work?

Just ranting about my air and noise pollution at my place, can't wait to be old enough to buy my own place and move outta here.

1. Above neighbour, always drags furniture during breakfast at 7-8am (think is chinese family, door always closed so dont know who lives there)

2. 5th floor, everyday at 5pm will ring a small bell for prayers (lasts about 1 min)

3. My block has a unit operating some sort of medium business, every sat/sun 9pm will burn inscense paper in the metal bin provided by town council (now moved to main road) and the air will blow the smoke for the next two hours because they never burn the paper properly (it used to be under the block, and the smoke blew directly into about 2 units along the corridor)

4. Buses run till about 2 am and starts at 5am

5. I realised recently how noisy the units facing the playground can get daily at 5pm to 8pm

Sorry to dig up this ancient thread. How are things going for you guys?

Every weekend from Friday night on until Sunday night, the unit above mine is extremely irritating.

There would be:

heavy stomps and footsteps around the house, dragging of furniture,

very very frequent slamming of heavy stuffs (like weights) onto the ground,

annoying bouncing thuds from what sounds like a giant metal dice thrown onto the ground,

and very collision-like impacts.

Imagine you're just sitting there doing your stuff or lying down on your bed, and these constant loud noises and sudden impacts keep coming from above you. It feels stressful, like something is going to fall on your head.

I'm just trying to get some peace and rest during the weekends.....

What shall I do? Would writing in a complaint to HDB work?

Of late, I have been tolerating unpleasant noises from upstairs ranging from heavy thumping or running to furniture dragging.

I cannot be sure if the din comes from the unit above mine.

I had previously read that such disturbing noises may actually come from other units.

"Dropping marbles" used to be quite common for me in the past but I have not been hearing it these days.

Wonder if any expert can comment ????

Guest Lurker01

Well for my case, I am 100% sure these disturbances are coming from directly above.

Sometimes the marble sounds are due to concrete expansion/contraction effects at night.

Why am I still posting at this hour? Cuz that unit above me is still creating these dins at this hour!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

• 5 months later...

I just discover to report on suspected unauthorised subletting / use of flat:

HDB hotline @ 1800-555-6370

We can call the above line. All feedback will be kept strictly confidential.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

• Guest locked this topic