Male HQ

Photography Enthusiasts + Photographer's Group (Compiled)

qiange

Anyone into plane spotting? PM! :)

If you are looking for those who'd stake out just to shoot or watch planes flying in and out, you are better served looking in the Aviation thread, or the hardcore local chapter of Airliners.Net (I do happen to know a couple of them) amongst others.  That said, I do believe most of us who post in here may be more of the casual snap-a-shot-only-as-and-when type, which includes yours truly. 

Instagram @the_meowprince

Meow:-)

I don't recognize the first pic. Roof top? The complexities is interesting.

I'm drawn to the second pic - the old man along the double yellow lines. It's simple and to me there appears to be 2 stories- the lone old man and what attracts the photographer to this subject.

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

@MP

I thought this is a temporary storage room. I was expecting 60s 70s-ish grocery shops. :-)

How do you make the blue stand out? Do you have a photo collection of the different types of grocery shops we have in Singapore?

@MP

I thought this is a temporary storage room. I was expecting 60s 70s-ish grocery shops. :-)

How do you make the blue stand out? Do you have a photo collection of the different types of grocery shops we have in Singapore?

This provision shop is the last of its kind in the art deco Tiong Bahru estate. Another couple more weeks and a cafe will be taking its place, the evils of gentrification!  I only have a few of old provision/sundry shop pics in my collection, old places, old shops, that kind, totalling slightly below 100 (I think...)

Color-wise, didn't have to do much, had great ambient light. 

hehe another batch of pics to admire.

Hmmm the cat is a gem. Its fur is a natural collage of colours. 

The cloud in the 2nd pic. Although it's a reflection, it almost looks like a continuation.

Something seems to be missing in the 3rd pic...

Nice piece, MeowPrince. At 1st glance looks like snow than slowly realize its a view from the bridge with the distance building from Keppel Bay. New saw it in this light, good job!

OK my turn I guess.

I'm a very amateur kinda photographer, some pics are a bit blurry but I still like them :) The first ones were taken with some random compact digital cameras. Until I got myself a nice DSLR.

Most of my pics have been taken while I was traveling around the world but also the different places where I've lived and worked: Switzerland, California and now Singapore.

Let's start with the US and NYC:

m227555799.jpg

m227555801.jpg

m227555806.jpg

m227555809.jpg

m227555821.jpg

m227555822.jpg

Edited by Enelym1978

Hi guys,

Well done for all beautiful pics :)

I am looking for volunteer photographers to help in a photo project for LGBT community. Whether you are amateur or professional photographer, all are welcome. I don't have a concrete idea yet and I am looking for people to co-create this project.

I am organising a meeting this Saturday 15 Jun, 7pm so we can share and exchange ideas for this project. Kindly let me know if you are keen. Thank you!

Warm regards,

Andrew

Some recent instagrammed pics.  :D

insta0348_zps52cd4ddd.jpg

The next outing #499 will be on Fri 14th Jun 8.30am, for macro/floral shooting.

#500 outing will be on Sat 29th Jun 8.30am, a very photographable heritage area in Sg. 

As this is one of my most popular routes, the 6 slots (more than usual) fill very fast....  ;)

In reply to some questions about my IR photography -

where u get the equipment

I did not buy an IR-ready camera.  I had an old 2nd-hand DSLR modded (modified) by a friend to shoot native infrared.

However, doing something like that will null all warranty on the camera, and will also deny it to shoot normal color again.

There are a couple of shops in Singapore that offer to do the mod nowadays.  From what I know, The Camera Hospital at Sunshine Plaza has the service, but be prepared to pay $300-400 to mod a DSLR.  Plus, you will need to leave your lens with them to calibrate.  Of course, other cameras may also be modded, DSLRs and mirrorless are better as you can use different lenses with them.

I thot can achieve this by buying flter.

Yes, you can always buy the filter instead, and it is a cheaper option than modding.  A common Hoya R72 will probably not cross $100, whereas the mod costs so much more.  But....

1.  using filter means you need a tripod almost everytime you want to take an IR shot

2.  limits you to the conditions it which you can shoot (esp with that slower speed)

The reason is - IR filters cut off a lot of light, and if you look at a piece, you will see how near-black the glass is.... so a daytime shot may take you up to 2s to expose, compared to a modded body taking 1/50s.

how you get the colors

This is a standard PhotoShop post-process.  And it is a well documented one, where Channel Mixer is used.
The purpose is to recover the blue in the skies and to remove some of the yellow/pink tint in the native IR shot.

Normal IR shots are brownish, while leaves/grass/trees tend to come out snowy white.

All that said, shooting infrared requires firm grounding in your basics (exposure control and composition) to get nice shots.  Recovering a blue sky (without having to paint it!) alone calls for a lot of observation skills and alertness - a cloudless sky won't deliver it!  Just the same as shooting with strong sun to maximise IR potential can also destroy the photo, simply because IR shots are very sensitive to overexposure, which cannot be saved in PhotoShop.

Shooting IR in film is also possible, as there are infrared films, just that they are notoriously hard to get, and expensive.  And then there are hardly labs in Singapore that will process the film for you.  Do note that IR in film tends to come out monotone.

All that said, I hope this is useful to those who have PMed/SMSed me today asking.  ;)