Male HQ

Photography Enthusiasts + Photographer's Group (Compiled)

qiange

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/man-behind-nikon-photo-contest-134106442.html?nhp=1&linkId=20813731

Manipulating photo is not photography.jpg

Edited by upshot
double images

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

• 2 weeks later...

Love this article, it describes what I often share with my friends and those I bring on photo outings.

http://petapixel.com/2016/03/10/great-photo-comments-will-ruin-photography/

Sadly, with FB, Insta and Tumblr all over the place, few, if any really have any idea what makes a decent photo anymore.  Just take a lot at some threads in other common forums around - whether on the topics of nude models or photography, or on abstract artistic works, or street portraiture.  It is almost the same whether its in public forum A or B or C.   The young BWer I met at end-2015 will probably get some clue now, why I told him his "portfolio" was a joke, even getting lots of insta likes - now maybe you understand?

To those of you who've asked me - that's why I keep it close, and only amongst a circle of visually literate people, those whose critique and opinions matter, get to see most of my pics. :D

Instagram @the_meowprince

On 11/03/2016 at 8:54 AM, MeowPrince said:

Love this article, it describes what I often share with my friends and those I bring on photo outings.

Sadly, with FB, Insta and Tumblr all over the place, few, if any really have any idea what makes a decent photo anymore.  Just take a lot at some threads in other common forums around - whether on the topics of nude models or photography, or on abstract artistic works, or street portraiture.  It is almost the same whether its in public forum A or B or C.   The young BWer I met at end-2015 will probably get some clue now, why I told him his "portfolio" was a joke, even getting lots of insta likes - now maybe you understand?

To those of you who've asked me - that's why I keep it close, and only amongst a circle of visually literate people, those whose critique and opinions matter, get to see most of my pics. :D

Interesting article, MP, thanks.

I globally agree with what the author says and with your comments.

But don't you think some points could appear as a little bit "elitist"?

Of course, lots of people today are unable to explain with accurate words their feelings in front of a photo, a painting, a musical composition, a wine or even food.

But maybe it's difficult for them because they did not learn the right words at school, or simply because they have forgotten after using too much modern communications facilities?

This does not reduce their sincerity when they just say that they "like" a great wine, a painting masterpiece or an excellent photo. They just don't know (or don't need) how to express their feelings.

Besides, maybe you need a minimum of knowledge in the considered field to be able to say intelligent things, and it's difficult sometimes to have this minimum expertise in several fields. For instance, you can have some knowledge in painting (even if you are a bad painter...), but be unable to find the right words to describe why you like (or dislike) a photo. Or you can try to describe "technically" why a food is great, but be less at ease for saying precisely why you love a wine.

I agree that all critics must have a minimum experience in the domain they write about, but let's not blame the "vulgum pecus" who wants to express something and lacks the words to do so.

OK, I understood that your point is that they should be helped and educated, more than blamed.

And you know this irrepressible French tendancy to argue...:D

Oh, and, by the way, I "like" your pics!:lol:

Haha Phil, yes, there is what may seem "elitist" in the article.  But when it is weighed against the kinds of rubbish "photos" (I am not referring to the flood of selfies/wefies/camwhoring pics) that flood many of the large groups on Instagram or Tumblr or even the more traditional forums (forums like BW, that have memberships in excess of 1,000), it begins to hold a lot more truth.

Unfortunately, that same truth is blinkered away by many, esp those who want to claim themselves as "photographers", as compared to say, a camera-holding-individual.  The latter I used to prefer to call them casual snappers.  And they do include a sizeable number who have had some education (at least a semester or half of) in the field.  

When it comes to the truly lay-people who have no technical knowledge of the field, its a different ball game altogether.  Its one thing to "like".  It is quite another to insist on themselves being some kind of connoisseur, just because they received 5,000 likes on FB/Insta.... for a snapshot of, say, a pile of pigeon poop.

And I still love your erstwhile furry visitor ;) heheheh!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 3:54 PM, MeowPrince said:

Now so long u have a phone, u can photobomb or stomp anytime

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ZealousZeno said:

Those are some nice photos you have there. I cant even take better shots than that :frustrated:

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Lousy? "Room"? I would say excellent pic of a fantastic suite...:clap:

Eh you guys are too kind :redface:^_^

Here's a two-exposure (manually-blended) HDR of the famed Santorini sunsets.
21116_zpse4wnw37c.jpg

My next trip will in late-Oct to early-Nov.  A small-group photo trip. :D

Edited by MeowPrince

1 hour ago, Phil said:

What is a "two exposure" and what is it for? Your sunset pic looks like an excellent natural one.

Basically means that I took only two shots to blend and get a single pic with higher dynamic range (often referred to as HDR) as normal photography would not give the brighter (exposed) houses, as well as the sky+sunset+water.  Typically, under such dusk conditions, to get a nice sky+sun, the foreground (ie the buildings and the cliffsides) would be darkened, or vice versa.  Most HDR shooters will shoot at least 3 shots/exposures to blend.  In fact many people will shoot more.  That is where many HDR pics, like on Instagram or Tumblr or Flickr, tend to turn up radioactive or fakey-looking, with haloing and other unwanted effects, and then try to hide under the guise of being art.  (this last statement is probably controversial to some people who like the freaky type of pics)

On 25/05/2016 at 6:13 AM, Phil said:

Thanks, MP, for those clear explanations. I did not know all that.

This thread is certainly for experimented photographers...

Haha Phil, this thread is for all.  Its a fact that different schools of thought exist though, just as photographers and camera-owners do.

Anyway, here's another set from Santorini 

551245_zpsvfsshbuu.jpg