Male HQ

Photography Enthusiasts + Photographer's Group (Compiled)

qiange

Actually, the moment u post a pic, it will be open to the judgement of anyone who sees it.

If you do not wish to be judged or commented upon, then u may want to keep it out of public view.

If one only wishes to be pat on the back for his photos, then show them only to people who would pat his back and nothing else. But expect to never grow in that case.

Haha I kinda said that cause the 'problems' pointed out were so insignificant (to me). So unless it's to be graded, I don't usually critique till that extent. But I know that different people have different threshold of critique though, so I respect that.

"Well, I didn't know it would come to this but that's what happens when you're on your own."

Guest Marad44
this is my photo & here is another
Nice jun|0r. I detect blatant or subtle geometry in the photos that appeal to me, even in the abstract ones. Edited by Marad44

Haha I kinda said that cause the 'problems' pointed out were so insignificant (to me). So unless it's to be graded, I don't usually critique till that extent. But I know that different people have different threshold of critique though, so I respect that.

Actually your answer remind me of one guy I know from local photography forum. When he first started portrait, he was basically been shot down by a lot of the seniors or pros. However he never gave up and went on with his passion for portrait. The last few times he posted in the forum, I believe he has proven himself and people are giving thumb up.

I told my friends who are wondering if they should put up the photo for comment that every comment given will contain some emotional aspect, be it good or bad. More important is to remove the emotional and read the comment constructively. Try to find out what the reader is trying to tell you and see if it gives you another perspective to take the picture. After all we may disagree with the comment but it helps to open new doors to new insight.

Good luck and enjoy your shoot (with camera :) )

Edited by jtsc

Hahha okay okay fine. Like I said, I am a pretty harsh critic at it. I was just trying to be considerate, seeing that he just posted his few pictures without saying anything about getting comments.

Let's leave it at this k. (So tired trying to explain myself when I was just being considerate, which seems like it's more harm than good)

Let's just enjoy sharing photographs and photo tips (:

Edited by Impere

"Well, I didn't know it would come to this but that's what happens when you're on your own."

Actually your answer remind me of one guy I know from local photography forum. When he first started portrait, he was basically been shot down by a lot of the seniors or pros. However he never gave up and went on with his passion for portrait. The last few times he posted in the forum, I believe he has proven himself and people are giving thumb up.

I told my friends who are wondering if they should put up the photo for comment that every comment given will contain some emotional aspect, be it good or bad. More important is to remove the emotional and read the comment constructively. Try to find out what the reader is trying to tell you and see if it gives you another perspective to take the picture. After all we may disagree with the comment but it helps to open new doors to new insight.

Good luck and enjoy your shoot (with camera :) )

I hope that here we won't get the same kind of thin-skinned mentality that that forum has...

Already they lost a lot of their best members when the newcomers could not stand the slightest comment. Student, Azure, Lance, Night86mare and many left. Though some of them have set up their own private communities.... ;)

Instagram @the_meowprince

Hahax I remembered I posted some portrait drawing on conceptart b4. The likeness was very evident to the reference I used to draw but there was this person that edited the drawing image and placed dots to indicate millimitres of distance it is nt inplace with the reference. I mean for god's sake it's a drawing not some generic imagery that has to be done using grids... People were being harsh on my other earlier works but the comments that I felt were useful stuck to me till this day and has been very useful for my development.

I feel generally it's up to us to make the decision to be thick skinned and to filter out what actually helps us or just excessive useless critique. But sometimes it's nice to just share, when I think something is beautiful. It's our innate nature to share what we feel good about. We can always ignore critiques if we are not seeking and already happy with what we are doing :P

Art makes the world go round! Love is the entirety of it!

blog: www.confusedfella.blogspot.com

As a film (movie, not the photography film) student, I, obviously, have to take in more criticism than compared to photography criticism. So I am pretty fine with taking positive and NEGATIVE criticism. Though I feel that in this thread, most criticism are positive, which is good. (:

And like I said, I am a harsh critic, and am able to withstand harsh critique. The rest of the issues about consideration, I will stop saying anything.

Go ahead and shoot, puns intended.

Anyway, my sharing+crtique session is still on. Currently scheduled for Sat 19 Nov afternoon 1.30pm onward. Will be at a nice cafe in tiong bahru area, where there is nice food and space for a sharing sesson. Exact details will be posted once I get proper internet rather than a spotty 3G here.

Personally, I do prefer face to face sharing as a lot of what is said can be demonstrated. The session may also have participants from another forum too, just like my outings. :)

Btw my colleague just asked me to ask this - anyone who may be free in Jan/Feb and would like to be a part time photographer assistant pls contact me via PM. :P

I hope that here we won't get the same kind of thin-skinned mentality that that forum has...

Already they lost a lot of their best members when the newcomers could not stand the slightest comment. Student, Azure, Lance, Night86mare and many left. Though some of them have set up their own private communities.... ;)

Actually that's the problem with forum. Sometimes your comment is harmless but the reader think otherwise. End up might as well just keep quiet and don't say anything. If really want to have comment then I really think meeting up is the better way.

Can't go in the afternoon since I have work. Ah the woes of being in the service industry haha.

With regards to comments on photos, I try to give helpful comments. I do not like saying its not nice and leave it there, because there's no value in that kind of comment for me.

I'm usually on RAW+JPEG mode. my SD card has enough space for me usually. If I know I'm going on burst mode i will switch to jpeg, and if i have something specific in mind (like HDR), i will use RAW (because either i'm too lazy or i don't have a tripod to do bracketing).

@kreme - yes I use a DSLR, but I shoot in jpeg. Only at work do I go RAW, and only when I have a need to do so. :)

u guys do editing to jpeg pictures before posting?

Sorry, still new at photography.. :P

Edited by kreme

u guys do editing to jpeg pictures before posting?

Sorry, still new at photography.. :P

For myself, I prefer to get it right, out-of-camera. So any editing is limited to cleaning away dust spots and minimal curves, usually none at all. ;)

Only for work do I use a bit more post process.. and only becoz paid to do so. :P

Okie, a sample of an out-of-camera, unprocessed photo taken this afternoon...

0929.jpg

An a sample of a food shot taken this evening at Drips Cafe for illustration

(again, zero post-process was done...)

0928.jpg

The food shot should illustrate the point of what is "not quite right" to Jun|or, I hope. PM me about it if unsure, or come ask me at the sharing session (which I should be finalising in a couple of days' time).

And then the samples from my expired roll of TCN400. Taken using a Holga. :D

0922.jpg

0923.jpg

0924.jpg

Enjoy!

(thank goodness I can access Internet from home at last.... posting from a phone can be rather tiresome.... bleaahh)

For myself, I prefer to get it right, out-of-camera. So any editing is limited to cleaning away dust spots and minimal curves, usually none at all. ;) Only for work do I use a bit more post process.. and only becoz paid to do so. :P

For me, open up Picasa, select all photos and click "I'm feeling lucky" :P

Guest Marad44

Question to the floor:

In film-cameras, it is possible to rewind and take a multiple-exposure (superimposition) photo on the same frame. Is it possible on digital cameras (not with software later which I know)?

Question to the floor:

In film-cameras, it is possible to rewind and take a multiple-exposure (superimposition) photo on the same frame. Is it possible on digital cameras (not with software later which I know)?

Yes to both.

Look at the film shots I posted, every one is a double exposure.

As for digital, all modern DSLRs are capable of it, though different makers may give it a different name. As waaaay back as the Fujifilm S2 Pro of 2003, such as already possible. And the early Nikon Coolpix4500 was similarly able to do double-exposure, but limited to double.

Thanks MPrince. I've checked the reviews, I guess my Nikon D60 is not 'modern'. ;)

?Really?

Doesn't it already have an "Overlay" feature? You just have to shoot in RAW.

As I mentioned, its given a different "name" by the manufacturer.

The Coolpix4500 is easily 3 generations older!

A photo-sharing/critique session, and a chance to meet one another in person and make new friends!

There may be other photography enthusiasts from elsewhere joining, so a good opportunity to get to know more like-minded folks. ;)

Venue : Cafe-In-Action 2, at Kim Tian Road (near Tiong Bahru MRT)

Date : Fri 18th Nov

Time : from 6.00pm onward, till 9.++pm

Going :

- MeowP (will be there from 6.00 all the way)

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Some from my early morning shoot....

0941.jpg

0942.jpg

0943.jpg

0944.jpg

0945.jpg

Not to forget the sharing session this Friday. Those who are coming, please let me know, so that I can book a bigger table/space.

Venue : Cafe-In-Action 2, at Kim Tian Road (near Tiong Bahru MRT)

Date : Fri 18th Nov

Time : from 6.30pm onward, till 9.++pm (*pls note slight change in timing)

Has anyone photographed Kampong Buangkok, supposedly the last remaining village of Singapore?

Yes, did so back in 2004, 2005, 2006.

Old news. It has been overrun many times by photo mobs from crapsnap and other forums since.

If anyone is planning to go, please have some respect for such places, go in small groups of less than 5. Speak softly and do not disturb the surviving residents.

Guest Marad44
... If anyone is planning to go, please have some respect for such places...

Quite agree, thanks MPrince. I should get around to doing the village, before the southern islands, Sisters, St. John & Kusu. God knows how much longer the village will be around for.

Quite agree, thanks MPrince. I should get around to doing the village, before the southern islands, Sisters, St. John & Kusu. God knows how much longer the village will be around for.

Maybe it will be preserved as a kind of museum?

At least, that's what I wish you...

Guest Marad44
Maybe it will be preserved as a kind of museum? At least, that's what I wish you...

That's the idea Phil, to preserve it as heritage site. It's left to be seen. In land-strapped Singapore it could only be wishful thinking. Many an epitaph would be written & rivers cried if it goes.

Edited by Marad44

That's the idea Phil, to preserve it as heritage site. It's left to be seen. In land-strapped Singapore it could only be wishful thinking. Many an epitaph would be written & rivers cried if it goes.

Well, the entire site is privately owned by a single landowner. Thus she has every right to evict her tenants and redevelop if she chooses to. Plus did you know that the place is also home to a couple of "dirty industries" businesses?

Well, the entire site is privately owned by a single landowner. Thus she has every right to evict her tenants and redevelop if she chooses to. Plus did you know that the place is also home to a couple of "dirty industries" businesses?

MeowPrince and Marad

Isn't it possible that the government decides to "classify" or "preserve officially" (sorry for my poor English) the place, thus buying the rights of the present owners?

I had been told that this was about to be the case for some parts of the Chinese district and the Indian one...

And, by the way, coming back to the topic, MeowPrince, what do you call "photo painting"? A special filter? Sorry for my incompetence...

Thanks and have a nice day.

MeowPrince and Marad

Isn't it possible that the government decides to "classify" or "preserve officially" (sorry for my poor English) the place, thus buying the rights of the present owners?

I had been told that this was about to be the case for some parts of the Chinese district and the Indian one...

Ahh you mean gazette the place for conservation. Provided there is sufficient heritage value in the place to conserve. And it is a tedious process, as it must be proposed to URA (the lead agency in conservation) first, and a lot of studies go into it. In all fairness, there are more valuable places to conserve, than a piece of privately-owned land with a "kampong" that is hardly a kampong per se. The place isn't something you cannot find elsewhere (eg across the causeway in Johor) or down in Batam. Hardly enough reason to go waste public funds to do a feasibility study either.

There are numerous better places to conserve around Singapore, and certain more within control, and that's where the public funds will go. Unless some wealthy and altruistic individual can step forward to buy over the place from the current landowner, private sector is unlikely to spring for it too.

And, by the way, coming back to the topic, MeowPrince, what do you call "photo painting"? A special filter? Sorry for my incompetence...

Thanks and have a nice day.

Oh hardly a filter. I call them photo paintings, as each IR photo is painstakingly and lovingly "scratched" (ok, I don't know the correct term) to give it a somewhat 3D/extruded look. I just enjoy doing that to my IR photos, kind of lke a signature style, if you will. I know there are folks who'd use PhotoShop filters for it, but I prefer to do each photo manually, with mouse strokes. Each photo usually takes me around 40-60 minutes, depending on how much detail is in the skies+trees. :P

Ahh you mean gazette the place for conservation. .....

There are numerous better places to conserve around Singapore, and certain more within control, and that's where the public funds will go. Unless some wealthy and altruistic individual can step forward to buy over the place from the current landowner, private sector is unlikely to spring for it too.

Thanks for these precisions. It seems easier to get the UNESCO labelling as "world heritage" :o . Anyway, good luck for keeping some little bits of yout heritage!

Oh hardly a filter. I call them photo paintings, as each IR photo is painstakingly and lovingly "scratched" (ok, I don't know the correct term) to give it a somewhat 3D/extruded look. I just enjoy doing that to my IR photos, kind of lke a signature style, if you will. I know there are folks who'd use PhotoShop filters for it, but I prefer to do each photo manually, with mouse strokes. Each photo usually takes me around 40-60 minutes, depending on how much detail is in the skies+trees. :P

Thanks, I did not know that. I stopped photo years ago when I gave my old Canon FTB/QL (you probably don't know...) to my son. Today, I'm just able to load my phone photos on my PC :( .

Thanks, I did not know that. I stopped photo years ago when I gave my old Canon FTB/QL (you probably don't know...) to my son. Today, I'm just able to load my phone photos on my PC :( .

the QL is a rangefinder, no? loved using the QL 19 because of it's large window as opposed to my FED 2.

Edited by Wolfe