Male HQ

Photography Enthusiasts + Photographer's Group (Compiled)

qiange

Your photos are great, as usual!

That's why I think I would be ridiculous with mine... :oops:

I'll try to find one or two less awful than the rest... :unsure:

I'm shameful. I tried and I was not even able to post one photo! :oops: :oops:

Well, I'm happy looking at yours... :clap:

I'm shameful. I tried and I was not even able to post one photo! :oops: :oops:

Well, I'm happy looking at yours... :clap:

Please don't say that.

I dug out some of my early photos - my first year into taking pictures, when I was just snapping for fun. Was using a 2nd-hand Coolpix4500 back then. Shot almost everything on P mode, and slowly, learnt to examine what I did (right+wrong) to develop from there. Here are some of those pics from 2004/05.

0951.jpg

0952.jpg

0953.jpg

0954.jpg

0955.jpg

0956.jpg

0957.jpg

0958.jpg

We all can learn+grow. Its whether we choose to grow, or choose to limit ourselves. Met an old affable surgeon back then, and he suggested I shoot more stray cats, hence my nick. Also met a psychologist who taught me how the classic rules are actually hardwired in our brains, a physicist-cum-parttime-history-buff who showed me how stills influenced moving images and vice versa. Over those formative months, I learnt to view images from TV series, cinema film, traditional, and a host of different sources.

This is also for the few whom I know are quietly following this thread, and asking me stuff over PM or sms. ;)

Instagram @the_meowprince

Guest Marad44

3 Nikon's. One is a baby in the DSLR series which I use for photography and the other two in the Coolpix series that I video with. Also possess a Sony DVD camcorder which I've stopped taking on my travels.

Excerpts from this morning's lovely outing!

0976.jpg

0977.jpg

0978.jpg

where is it? how do you take the last picture?

this friday? can i go with you?

where?

i am at nus, i can wake up early. it is just my habit. but how early?

何以飘零去,何以少团栾。何以别离久,何以不得安。指云问天道,琴鸣血斑斓!

where is it? how do you take the last picture?

this friday? can i go with you?

where?

i am at nus, i can wake up early. it is just my habit. but how early?

Meet me at/around Merlion Park. I'll be there till the sun is up and then I'll be gone for breakfast. ;)

Hi hi... Did you manage to find and shoot the largest tomb? I went there 3 times but to no avail.

What's your idea of "the largest tomb"? There are actually several very large ones. Though going now, you'll find a few of them already cleared. The one with 5 pairs of statues is no more. Unless you are referring to the one that can be seen from the main road, then it is still there.

Every Bt Brown outing we do go into the forested stretches, and there have been graves with beautiful paintings on the sides, together with unicorn, lion, bird, maiden statues (3-4 pairs). The most elaborate one I found in a forested patch had a dragon+phoenix pair as well. Unfortunately, that grave has since been exhumed/raided/removed of the statues, hence "no more". That said, there are still some rather decent ones around. My outing yesterday yielded nearly 70 keepers!

Edited by MeowPrince

This was one of the larger graves, taken in June this year.

0980.jpg

And here is one of the paintings, taken yesterday

0981.jpg

A shy mantid, taken yesterday too

0982.jpg

And another infrared (IR), taken yesterday

0979.jpg

For those who do not know, IR photography makes use of infrared filters. In my case, I had my camera modded by a friend, meaning the filter has been installed permanently inside the camera body. This makes every shot taken an IR shot, regardless of the lens I use. The typical outcome of infrared photography on digital is snowy-looking leaves and grass. A basic step after that is to run simple channel mixing (similar to tweaking chemicals in IR films) to revert some measure of blue to the skies. IR photography, though seemingly simple, is actually a lot more demanding, for if the user doesn't have a firm grasp of his basics, most of his IR shots will become very unpalatable (eg pink images, badly processed, overexposed, etc)

That said, IR does have it's niche. Landscapes, esp those with trees and grasses, can become very unusual and stunning. In some cases where the conditions favor, it can even produce unusual human portraits. The example below was wearing the current SAF uniform and gear. Notice how infrared turns it into something else altogether. :)

0983.jpg

Need some advice... Will u guys recommend canon 600d or 60d? Which one is better?

I'm a Nikon system user, so obviously I'll say "Neither!" :whistle:

Pick your budget, go down to the shops, have a hands-on feel of which feels more comfortable. Once you find one that fits your budget, that's the one to go. You can ignore most of the so-called reviews online. And you most definitely can ignore the big forums (crapsnap, haolian-wanker-zone, sgforum, sgclub), unless you intend to merely spend on your gear for showing-off.

At the end of the day, it's the user, not the camera that is going to take the photo. ;)

Canon 7D err 80 fault code

Yesterday while I was doing my photo shoot, my camera showed a fault code "err 80". The camera couldn't save the images and occasionally the shutter could not complete it's cycle. The first remedy I did was to perform hard reset to the system. Well, it solved the problem for a while. Desperately, I searched the Internet and mentioned it is indeed the shutter issue.

Returning to my camera and this time round I tried to playback those saved images. I found something odd was that all images including old ones could not be played back. If it is a shutter issue, why was I experiencing card reading problem? So I decided not to believe I had a shutter problem and decided to reformat my CF card. (luckily I back up often) voila!! After the reformat, the whole system is back to normal.

This morning I brought it out for a day shoot and the err 80 fault never shows up again.

Eventually I concluded that the main problem was with the image processing and caused the shutter issue. Therefore "err 80" showed up.

I hope this short essay will help the rest if the same symptoms as mentioned above arise.

Hi all. Need your advice. Just bought a aslr and thinking of signing up for a course. Any recommendations for a good school or programme? Thanks v. Much

很多事情 不是誰說了就算

即使傷心 結果還是自己擔

多少次失望表示著多少次期盼

事實證明 幸福很難

我們之間 不是誰說了就算

拉扯的愛 徒增結局的難堪

一百次相愛只要有一次的絢爛

下一次 會更勇敢

Hi all. Need your advice. Just bought a aslr and thinking of signing up for a course. Any recommendations for a good school or programme? Thanks v. Much

Not much point attending the schools/courses IMO. I learnt by going for outings with others. Especially when you know which type of stuff you want to shoot, finding those with similar interest is so much better.