Male HQ

Gay Coming Out Stories / videos / experiences - Family acceptance and the future (compiled)

tic-toc

31 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

China is 无神论, 

there is positive and negative side to being 无神论。

discuss?

无神论 Is no problem.

无德论 is big problem.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

I came out to my family about 20 years ago. I am pretty fortunate that my family is accepting, though in the early years whenever a relationship ended, my mother would suggest that i start dating girls instead. Anyway, now whenever I am back home, my bf and I, are accepted and embraced by the whole extended family. Not everyone's family will be as open and accepting as mine. For some LGBTQ youths, there will be challenges as highlighted in the article, and battling the traditional mindset of parents can be daunting. 

At some point, my family figured that as long as I am happy, that is ultimately what's most important and the gender of the person I choose to be with is irrelevant. 

If you choose to come out, plan ahead. Make sure you are safe, and feel safe to share. 

Love. 

Guest Manstar4me
On 12/26/2018 at 9:10 PM, fab said:

I don't believe in coming out to parents. I m sure they more or less already know.

My friend's dad told him to beware of flasher in the neighborhood.

2 minutes ago, Garyl said:

No need tell lor.. :thumb:

I agree with Garyl. Its your private side for a reason. Unless your planning to introduce someone to your family. Keep it private. Once you are confident to be out and proud and can deal with all the consequences then go for it. Until then, don't feel like your hiding a dirty secret. It's part of who you are. Love yourself for that. 

14 hours ago, auscent said:

Sometimes parents reject kids being gay because they see that being gay in society is not easy, more obstacles than being straight. Good intentions I suppose.

Well as they say, the way to hell is paved with good intentions. :)

I get the good intentions, and you cannot really fault parents for that. It can be misguided, but it is how it is. 

Love. 

Guest Willing
On 1/17/2019 at 8:40 AM, Garyl said:

Need to tell?

Is it a generational thing for younger to tell? :blink:

Probably...those that were born in the 70s and early 80s would most likely keep it to themselves... don't feel the need to declare to the world!!

Guest anti mosquito detergent
On 1/14/2019 at 11:02 PM, fab said:

无神论 Is no problem.

无德论 is big problem.

No morals is subjective, what for being so judgmental like some people judging Nightingale for fantasising about students. Right or wrong?

My “coming out” wasn’t planned. In fact, it was very abrupt. Mom was asking if I had a girlfriend  and I just blurted that I am gay. LOL. I was 24YO then.

Mom was in denial at first for a few days; then reprimanded me that being gay is a sin and not allowed as written in the bible, yada yada yada...

Interestingly, it was my dad who intervened and told her that “our kids have grown up and they make their own decisions.  Let them be.”  After a few months, mom grew to accept the reality progressively.

Long story short: mom eventually accepted that I am gay and fucking men (which she is uncomfortable with as anal sex is “dirty” to her; plus the “bible” stuff).  Did she accept and embrace me eventually? Yes, she did. 

Coming out could be easy or difficult. I would suggest one should only come out when one wants to. Even then, do not be “pressured” by the western culture to “come out”.  It’s a fine balance between the pressure and Asian nuances (save face lah, paiseh lah etc ). 

Good luck to anyone coming “out”!

Need to tell?

I personally feel VERY annoyed at your notion that coming out is a generational thing. You keep going around implying people that they are childish and all that, without realizing that you yourself were young once. That is ageism. You can surely give your point of view as an older man, but you don't need to disregard younger peeps' concerns and opinions.

The need to come out to parents varies from person to person, I get it. You can simply just say you yourself don't feel the need to. Young people need nurturing, not bashing from you.

Anyway, if you want to defend yourself by saying that it is due to the circumstances that make things easier for young gays to come out: Yes, it is easier for us. So those who are not the bravest can muster enough courage to come out. But no, not only our generation has the "need to tell". The fight for LGBT rights has been for decades, probably longer than your age. Coming out helps with the gay guy's personal life a whole lot (which probably you don't get to see or even hear about from your social circle, but it's alright that's not to blame) and also helps with the movement of LGBT rights.

Again, you can agree or disagree, feel free to discuss/debate, but please, leave your ageism out. It is subtle but not beneficial for the community :) Different generations have different ways of thinking, which all have their own strengths and weaknesses. Be a graceful and mature man :)

3 hours ago, Crispy96 said:

I personally feel VERY annoyed at your notion that coming out is a generational thing. You keep going around implying people that they are childish and all that, without realizing that you yourself were young once. That is ageism. You can surely give your point of view as an older man, but you don't need to disregard younger peeps' concerns and opinions.

The need to come out to parents varies from person to person, I get it. You can simply just say you yourself don't feel the need to. Young people need nurturing, not bashing from you.

Anyway, if you want to defend yourself by saying that it is due to the circumstances that make things easier for young gays to come out: Yes, it is easier for us. So those who are not the bravest can muster enough courage to come out. But no, not only our generation has the "need to tell". The fight for LGBT rights has been for decades, probably longer than your age. Coming out helps with the gay guy's personal life a whole lot (which probably you don't get to see or even hear about from your social circle, but it's alright that's not to blame) and also helps with the movement of LGBT rights.

Again, you can agree or disagree, feel free to discuss/debate, but please, leave your ageism out. It is subtle but not beneficial for the community :) Different generations have different ways of thinking, which all have their own strengths and weaknesses. Be a graceful and mature man :)

Bro.. just one sentence, instead of a lengthy rebuttal.

#1- It is a question mark.:thumb:

#2 - you can search my posts.. i never bash younger or anyone..

Breathe......

Edited by Garyl

5 hours ago, Garyl said:

Bro.. just one sentence, instead of a lengthy rebuttal.

#1- It is a question mark.:thumb:

#2 - you can search my posts.. i never bash younger or anyone..

Breathe......

I wrote a long one to make sure my ideas come across, so I don't need to exchange thoughts back and forth excessively.

#1- it sounded more like a rhetorical question (at least to me)

#2- I might have mistaken you with someone else. I can't distinguish all the torsos LOL. Paiseh. If that is the case, my apologies.

I was breathing very calmly ._. Annoyed, yes, but I think my comment was civilized still? no? I might come across as too aggressive but nevermind.

• 9 months later...
Guest Guest887
23 hours ago, Guest duj said:

Came out last weekend to my father and he didn't take it seriously. He said if I'm not joking he will disown me.

Im sorry to hear that  :( .....

On 11/3/2019 at 10:05 PM, Guest duj said:

Came out last weekend to my father and he didn't take it seriously. He said if I'm not joking he will disown me.

Time to start saving up and living on your own as independent. You can say that you are joking now, then later when you are prepared, you can leave the family. At that point you can see their reaction, although it might be too late cuz you already made your choice to leave.

Speaking loudly, suffers softly. Smiles so wide, cuts unseen inside.

Bitin' the bullet, but never kick the bucket.

Need to tell?

I wonder too.  Is your life , do what you want 

Tell for what ? To bring about, sad, sorrows, anger and worst guilt upon parents especially mum.  

They just want acceptance, but to achieve this in the name of " being honest" and bring about so many pains your parents ....... worth ah ?  

U dont tell, continue your life, continue bring home your bf as good friend, maybe even move and stay with him , said, for work convenient stay w friends nearer to workplace .......everybody is happy .........

I have been with my BF 9 years, staying together, never come out to my family of 14 .  But every big occasion he is involved.    U think my family dont know by now ?? they fact that I didnt come out, everybody is happy , cordial ,,, why not ? 

What is the benefits of coming out to your family I still dont know ..... someone enlighten me ??  

So far all I heard was rejection, sadness and stress.  I hasnt heard of one that " wow great" u finally found someone , now mum is happy for you , dont have to worry you will be alone and lonely .......... OH why didnt you tell me earlier , we would like to meet his parents too ...... any planning when to buy property together ?? 

On 11/5/2019 at 12:21 PM, Guest Mary said:

I wonder too.  Is your life , do what you want 

Tell for what ? To bring about, sad, sorrows, anger and worst guilt upon parents especially mum.  

They just want acceptance, but to achieve this in the name of " being honest" and bring about so many pains your parents ....... worth ah ?  

U dont tell, continue your life, continue bring home your bf as good friend, maybe even move and stay with him , said, for work convenient stay w friends nearer to workplace .......everybody is happy .........

I have been with my BF 9 years, staying together, never come out to my family of 14 .  But every big occasion he is involved.    U think my family dont know by now ?? they fact that I didnt come out, everybody is happy , cordial ,,, why not ? 

What is the benefits of coming out to your family I still dont know ..... someone enlighten me ??  

So far all I heard was rejection, sadness and stress.  I hasnt heard of one that " wow great" u finally found someone , now mum is happy for you , dont have to worry you will be alone and lonely .......... OH why didnt you tell me earlier , we would like to meet his parents too ...... any planning when to buy property together ?? 

"Any plan to have kids soon? I can't wait to have grandchildren!" Lol.

Seriously I also believe in don't ask don't tell.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

19 hours ago, fab said:

At my age, anyone who ask me stupid, irrelevant or just to satisfy their curiosity questions, if I am in good mood, or I care about that person feeling, I will answer subtly 

1.  If this question important to you ? 
2.  If I am not in good mood or they are not important to me, - "If you are free do some charity work, good for u and society" ( indirect, whose business ?) 

1 minute ago, Guest John said:

At my age, anyone who ask me stupid, irrelevant or just to satisfy their curiosity questions, if I am in good mood, or I care about that person feeling, I will answer subtly 

1.  If this question important to you ? 
2.  If I am not in good mood or they are not important to me, - "If you are free do some charity work, good for u and society" ( indirect, whose business ?) 

Saving the second sentence to my sassy ass vocabulary. 

Thanks 🙏🏻

Speaking loudly, suffers softly. Smiles so wide, cuts unseen inside.

Bitin' the bullet, but never kick the bucket.

Anyone’s dad come out to them?  Almost everyone has a gay feeling, straight married people included. Don’t assume your dad is pure straight, I’ve a friend who has 3 children and is a hungry btm.

On 11/6/2019 at 3:45 PM, fab said:

Me too. Coming out is like forcing people to hear stuff they don’t want to hear. I believe most parents would have some idea as to whether their kids are potentially gay. They choose not to ask then you shouldn’t force the uncomfortable truth to them.

Some things are best left unsaid.

• 7 months later...
  • GachiMuchi changed the title to Singapore Taiwan Coming Out Story
55 minutes ago, GachiMuchi said:

同志情侶該同居嗎?台灣→新加坡 跨國男友見習夫夫生活甘苦談 Taiwan + Singapore Gay Couple Cohabitation

Which condo huh? At 3:38 ...

Aiyah basically the same problems as most husband and wife lah ... and it's obvious who's the husband and who's the wife.

Guest guest
28 minutes ago, StockBottom said:

Which condo huh? At 3:38 ...

Aiyah basically the same problems as most husband and wife lah ... and it's obvious who's the husband and who's the wife.

Who is the husband and wife?

6 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

I find them both looks like btm.

1 is btm, the other 1 is more btm.

No pun intended. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest guest
Just now, fab said:

1 is btm, the other 1 is more btm.

No pun intended. 

That's why i think also. But it can be two btm as couple also can right?

Guest guest
3 minutes ago, Kimochi said:

A feeling. 

First look on his appearance, i though the sg guy more like top, but after that a feeling he is more like btm.

Your all know the SG guy may post here too right?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Guest

Can Singapore have sex same marriage? The answer is clear NO.

The Pink Dot is only limitation Gov't can give. 

Singapore culture will never accept gay. Still want to challenge 377A? Singapore is still not ready! Unless, there is a change in Gov't.

• G_M changed the title to Coming out to your parents (compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.