Male HQ

Discussion On Planes & Aviation

sgbotl

15 hours ago, FizzleBuzz said:

Nahh. That jumbo too round and fat. Looks like a big buttock. Hahaha

747 is better that looks more like a dickhead. Haha

OK, in terms of looks, I agree.

But inside, in terms of comfort, the A 380 is really something new.

I like your image about the 747...:lol:

1 hour ago, youngmatureadult said:

A350 is great. B787 has safety issues with their batteries due to negligence and rushing to meet deadline. There is a documentary about it.

To be honest, I think they have solved this battery problem now. I would be more concerned, on the long term, by the structural integrity of all those composite parts; the wings/fuselage junction had to be redesigned...

I think the A 350will be a more efficient aircraft. Of course, I'm subjective, haha!

Well, most of the "modern" aircraft have significant amounts of composites to increase fuel efficiency, so it is not only the Dreamliner with that issue. The A350 is also primarily composed of composites in the wings and fuselage.

Talking about Airbus and Boeing, I have always found the Boeing designs more comfortable to travel in.

Слава Україні!

5 hours ago, sgmaven said:

Well, most of the "modern" aircraft have significant amounts of composites to increase fuel efficiency, so it is not only the Dreamliner with that issue. The A350 is also primarily composed of composites in the wings and fuselage.

Talking about Airbus and Boeing, I have always found the Boeing designs more comfortable to travel in.

To my knowledge, the A 350 did not need to redesign or modify critical parts until now...

And about comfort, did you try the A 380?

1 hour ago, Phil said:

To my knowledge, the A 350 did not need to redesign or modify critical parts until now...

And about comfort, did you try the A 380?

Sure, A350-XWB is a ground-up design, although Airbus originally wanted to just modify the A330. Who know what would have happened if they followed that route...

I have flown in the Dreamliner a few times in both Economy and Business cabins, and have found it really comfortable. I agree that the redesign of the wing roots and the electrical systems are of concern (plus the numerous operational problems to date), so I wouldn't fly this jet on an airline in a developing country.

Have flown the A380 many times now. It is quite a beast! I feel that it lacks the elegance of say, the 747. Perhaps I am not used to how many people are on board at the same time...

Слава Україні!

I agree, a full A 380 can look a little bit dense. But the quality of air conditioning, the silence, and the smooth flight are pleasant.

And the design of Singapore Airlines' first class is extraordinary! (No, I did not fly first class...)

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

I agree, a full A 380 can look a little bit dense. But the quality of air conditioning, the silence, and the smooth flight are pleasant.

And the design of Singapore Airlines' first class is extraordinary! (No, I did not fly first class...)

Bigger planes usually equate to smoother flights (more inertial damping). As for the silence, it really depends on who you have in the cabin (I have always believed that babies and kids should be banned in the Business and First Class cabins). That said, the newer aircraft usually have quieter engines too.

First Class on SQ? Have you seen some of the other competing products?

Слава Україні!

4 hours ago, sgmaven said:

Bigger planes usually equate to smoother flights (more inertial damping). As for the silence, it really depends on who you have in the cabin (I have always believed that babies and kids should be banned in the Business and First Class cabins). That said, the newer aircraft usually have quieter engines too.

First Class on SQ? Have you seen some of the other competing products?

The wing tips of the A380 can flex 8 meters...

In terms of silence, I was thinking of the low engine/aerodynamics/aircon noise levels. You are right, babies and kids can add some decibels...:lol:

But let's keep in mind that they will pay for us when we retire (at least here).

I have only seen Etihad "suites" in pics; but in real SQ first design of the "rooms" on A380 were impressive.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

The wing tips of the A380 can flex 8 meters...

In terms of silence, I was thinking of the low engine/aerodynamics/aircon noise levels. You are right, babies and kids can add some decibels...:lol:

But let's keep in mind that they will pay for us when we retire (at least here).

I have only seen Etihad "suites" in pics; but in real SQ first design of the "rooms" on A380 were impressive.

First Class Seats

While the SQ Suites are private, I find both their Suites and Business Class cabins rather claustrophobic.

For business class seats, I like the ANA seat quite a bit.

Слава Україні!

8 hours ago, Phil said:

I find the A380 smoother and a tad quieter. But then again, whose to say the 747 we have been flying are older now so the flight is due to the parts. But for sure if I have a choice, i will fly A380 if it has to be a larger bird category.

Someone brought up batter problem. which I thought I touched on and that it caused some recall. Already a few years.. thought this is resolved by now no?

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

3 hours ago, upshot said:

I find the A380 smoother and a tad quieter. But then again, whose to say the 747 we have been flying are older now so the flight is due to the parts. But for sure if I have a choice, i will fly A380 if it has to be a larger bird category.

Someone brought up batter problem. which I thought I touched on and that it caused some recall. Already a few years.. thought this is resolved by now no?

Thanks for supporting our industry!:clap:;)

Besides, there are still many 747s flying; having flown them does not mean that we are dinosaurs...:lol:

I don't remember serious battery problems on A380, but I might be wrong.

There are much better experts than me among BW members... Hey, XXX, why don't you participate?

3 hours ago, Sgboy88z said:

Anybody Travelling  SIA's new direct USA flight? How do you compare it with United Airlines direct flight? A350 vs Dreamliner

Definitely SIA is better. Cannot doubt SIA high level of service compared to United. A350 or Dreamliner is both on par. The two best aircraft for long distance. Not forgetting B777

15 hours ago, Phil said:

Thanks for supporting our industry!:clap:;)

Besides, there are still many 747s flying; having flown them does not mean that we are dinosaurs...:lol:

I don't remember serious battery problems on A380, but I might be wrong.

There are much better experts than me among BW members... Hey, XXX, why don't you participate?

Nah was referring to my favorite elegance commercial flyer the 787

Well from young I am fascinated by planes. Not keeping up as often as I use to but i try to read some of the more outstanding news. The B747 is a good plane but some I have flew on especially those non SIA... I think it is the maintenance .. it just feels like a cricking old chair heh

For some reason I love long haul flight well ANY FLIGHT in fact heheh... the longest I had was from Singapore to Frankfurt and transit New York. Just being around planes and airport put a buzz to me.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

5 hours ago, FizzleBuzz said:

Sadly i cant upload anymore pics to here. Cant share much on the planes pic that i took.

hehe I can't show my stuff as I mentioned.. I have them on public photography sites.. any one googling that and photo match will get my full identity .. too may bitter pondam stalkers of mine here with toxic intentions heh...

On 11 February 2017 at 0:54 PM, Sgboy88z said:

Anybody Travelling  SIA's new direct USA flight? How do you compare it with United Airlines direct flight? A350 vs Dreamliner

I took SQ32 to SFO and returned on UA1 a few months back. Honestly if I were paying for my own ticket, I don't think SQ is worth paying anything more than $300 of what UA charges. Plus UA1's timings are much better than SQ31

Also in the end if you are stuck in economy, SQ's seat (not premium) is smaller/narrower. 

The nice thing about these new aircraft is that you feel a lot better upon arrival due to the lower pressurisation. I am a big fan of the 787 windows - so big!

17 hours ago, TopChinese said:

Also in the end if you are stuck in economy, SQ's seat (not premium) is smaller/narrower. 

The nice thing about these new aircraft is that you feel a lot better upon arrival due to the lower pressurisation. I am a big fan of the 787 windows - so big!

Where did you get such info about lower pressurisation and feeling a lot better on newer planes? You got me there bro... who smoked you on this?:whistle:

4 minutes ago, Marineboy said:

Where did you get such info about lower pressurisation and feeling a lot better on newer planes? You got me there bro... who smoked you on this?:whistle:

I think what TopChinese was referring to was higher cabin pressure and humidity in the 787. The 787 is pressurised to to 6000 ft ASML, compared with most other commercial aircraft that are pressurised at 6500 to 7000 ft ASML.

Слава Україні!

12 hours ago, sgmaven said:

I think what TopChinese was referring to was higher cabin pressure and humidity in the 787. The 787 is pressurised to to 6000 ft ASML, compared with most other commercial aircraft that are pressurised at 6500 to 7000 ft ASML.

Thanks! I stand corrected. Also the mood lighting that changes with the time of the day. 

17 hours ago, sgmaven said:

Wow ok thanks I was skeptical as always...it certainly more stress on the plane structure but with new composite materials they have a breakthrough in technology. The structure is able to take the higher differential pressure between the external n internal cabin pressure,

As to their claims time will tell if it was really significant ..I did some humidity checks on board some time ago..its really bad even in the area where there was a humidifier.

Maybe one should also do such tests to see is their claims are for real in terms of humidity.

But I agree a lower cabin altitude is certainly better for us but more stress on the structure. But we have to continue to make things better for mankind and improve with time.

5 minutes ago, Marineboy said:

Wow ok thanks I was skeptical as always...it certainly more stress on the plane structure but with new composite materials they have a breakthrough in technology. The structure is able to take the higher differential pressure between the external n internal cabin pressure,

As to their claims time will tell if it was really significant ..I did some humidity checks on board some time ago..its really bad even in the area where there was a humidifier.

Maybe one should also do such tests to see is their claims are for real in terms of humidity.

But I agree a lower cabin altitude is certainly better for us but more stress on the structure. But we have to continue to make things better for mankind and improve with time.

U sound like u were aircraft engineer! Wow!

8 minutes ago, FizzleBuzz said:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/boeing-front-runner-for-us-13-8b-singapore-airlines-order/3504470.html

Should be expecting all new plane by SIA. Hopefully they will get some 747-8

Well, SQ has always prided itself at having a young fleet, so they have to keep renewing their planes. The synergy between the 777 and 787 is obviously helping Boeing sell the planes, since they are the same plane class (FAA Document on 787). Airbus doesn't enjoy this synergy between the A380 and A350.

Слава Україні!

1 hour ago, sgmaven said:

Well, SQ has always prided itself at having a young fleet, so they have to keep renewing their planes. The synergy between the 777 and 787 is obviously helping Boeing sell the planes, since they are the same plane class (FAA Document on 787). Airbus doesn't enjoy this synergy between the A380 and A350.

Its seems like boeing is getting more orders than airbus. I wonder whether airbus have any new plans to bring up the market. Oh wait.. theres the upcoming A330neo...

Just now, FizzleBuzz said:

Its seems like boeing is getting more orders than airbus. I wonder whether airbus have any new plans to bring up the market. Oh wait.. theres the upcoming A330neo...

Well, a few years ago, things seemed to be going the other way, with more orders going to Airbus. I think Boeing was smart to get the 777s & 787s classed together by FAA. It saves a lot on certification and training of pilots.

Слава Україні!

8 hours ago, Marineboy said:

Marineboy is right (as always!), the structure is affected by the pressure differences. The resistance (both static and dynamic) has to be checked carefully during certification.

And talking about fatigue, we have more experience with metal than with new composites. Let's hope they will get old happily and safely...

I love your conclusion, which summarizes the philosophy of aviation!

All these new planes are so boring. They don't give you the sense of FLYING like the old planes did with the noise, the vibration, the adventure and the 34 inch seat pitch which was the normal economy standard before accountants started running airlines.

I feel sorry for those of you that never felt the thrill of taking off on a Boeing 727 or a Convair 880/990, which were like riding a bullet, or had the pleasure of hearing the screaming engines of a Boeing 707 or a Lockheed L1011 Tristar at full throttle. It made you really feel like you were MOVING.

Now flying on these modern planes feels like you are in a sardine can powered by a lawnmover. Ok, I do admit that the in-seat VOD helps pass the time quicker on long flights.

I am shutting up now as you all going to realize I am old.

47 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I feel sorry for those of you that never felt the thrill of taking off on a Boeing 727 or a Convair 880/990, which were like riding a bullet, or had the pleasure of hearing the screaming engines of a Boeing 707 or a Lockheed L1011 Tristar at full throttle. It made you really feel like you were MOVING.

Hahaha! You succeeded in making an old man like me feel young!

On the topic of aircraft, I do find short flights on a turboprop aircraft rather "romantic" despite the noise. The lower service ceilings also make for a nicer view below. That takes away the discomfort of the ride...

Слава Україні!

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

All these new planes are so boring. They don't give you the sense of FLYING like the old planes did with the noise, the vibration, the adventure and the 34 inch seat pitch which was the normal economy standard before accountants started running airlines.

Now flying on these modern planes feels like you are in a sardine can powered by a lawnmover. Ok, I do admit that the in-seat VOD helps pass the time quicker on long flights.

And you have even more FLYING sensations on a DC3 or a SV4...:D

1 hour ago, sgmaven said:

Hahaha! You succeeded in making an old man like me feel young!

On the topic of aircraft, I do find short flights on a turboprop aircraft rather "romantic" despite the noise. The lower service ceilings also make for a nicer view below. That takes away the discomfort of the ride...

I agree, but modern turboprops are not so noisy (ATR...)

And having the wing above the fuselage allows a better view from all seats too.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

The ATR is better!:D

Agreed.  Though there is something about flying a smaller plane and looking out the windows.
Just don't give me any Russian jet.  Ewww, I'll never forget the scream of those Tupolevs......  :thumbdown:  their engines....

One of these days I'll spam you with airplane and cloud pics.  Heheheh

Instagram @the_meowprince

On 2/16/2017 at 5:17 PM, Traveler said:

haha..taken the Garuda DC10-30 before...: :Pi am old as well

Edited by coconut11

I would love to take a ride on this hybrid heheeh.... Pity no free ride when I attended the air show.

upshot2017.jpg

2 hours ago, MeowPrince said:

Agreed.  Though there is something about flying a smaller plane and looking out the windows.
Just don't give me any Russian jet.  Ewww, I'll never forget the scream of those Tupolevs......  :thumbdown:  their engines....

One of these days I'll spam you with airplane and cloud pics.  Heheheh

Did you fly many Russian aircrafts?

I survived a flight on a Yak 40...

It's a pleasure to be spammed with planes and clouds!:P

1 minute ago, Marineboy said:

This one has a good near miss record... :D

BTW a crash is a near miss....A miss is a near crash.....So says the comedian Carlins....indeed it. Sugar coating words for consumtion? hahaha

Good saying! I did not know it.:clap:

• Guest locked this topic