Male HQ

Discussion On Planes & Aviation

sgbotl

Hi guys,

Anyone here into plane spotting or aviation photography? or flight simulator or even aeroplanes in general? Ocassionally I go to changi beach/changi business park (strictly for planes and I leave before the sun sets!) to take photos of planes so i was wondering if there were any others in the AJ community who have the same interests.

It would be nice to make some friends with similar interests so we can go spotting together or something. Maybe, if there are sufficient numbers, we can even form an AJ aviation enthusiast group. :D

Anyone? :)

Me, me! Military aviation nut here, been following jets since I was a kid and have 5 shelves of model planes. :)

cool! I collect models too. haha. my collection is not as vast as yours tho. only 3 shelves and they're all commercial :P

mind registering an account so we can chat thru PM ? :)

Me too! Me too!

Have a display cabinet of SQ, TG, Swiss, Star Alliance, Boeing and Airbus model planes.

Sometimes we go to the side of the runway via the small road next to Changi Prison to look at planes. The police would try to chase us away, but we just stand on the bridge above the canal and they can't do anything.

Used to be crazy about aircraft that I'd find ways to go for the Sg Airshow (and AA before that) on first day trade pass. Nowadays more watered down. Every now and then I'd shoot a couple of shots when conveniently at airport, or shoot another collector friend's collection of models.

one of the B747 models shot for my friend

0813.jpg

an Aegean Avro on the tarmac

0812.jpg

Instagram @the_meowprince

cool! I collect models too. haha. my collection is not as vast as yours tho. only 3 shelves and they're all commercial :P

mind registering an account so we can chat thru PM ? :)

Already have an account here actually lol, this is it. I usually post as a guest unless there is a need to sign in. :lol:

Since we're posting pictures, here is my newest model completed a short while ago, a 1/72 F-15E. Quite amateurish when compared to the pros though, I'm not a hardcore modeller lol

IMG_3549A-2-2.jpg

Nice thread.

Did my NS in the RSAF back in the late 70's and when ROD (we called it ROD, u boys call it ORD now) joined SIA.

Love planes too but never really too deep. Kept up with the news of development of military aircrafts when I was younger and commercial airplanes when I got older.

Pic of my favourite plane, Super Guppy. How it get airborne, I really don't know. Hmmm...maybe now I know why I also like Belugas and Santa Claus. :o

http://www.air-and-space.com/19821023%20Edwards/82524%20B-377-SG%20Super%20Guppy%20N940NA%20NASA%20right%20side%20l.jpg

http://www.air-and-space.com/guppies/821016al.jpg

Please play safely! Use a condom if you are having anal sex.

Already have an account here actually lol, this is it. I usually post as a guest unless there is a need to sign in. :lol: Since we're posting pictures, here is my newest model completed a short while ago, a 1/72 F-15E. Quite amateurish when compared to the pros though, I'm not a hardcore modeller lol IMG_3549A-2-2.jpg

whoa that looks pretty impressive! haha. my models are of the lazy man kind. all die cast one :P shall post a few pics when i find the time to take them.

Nice thread. Did my NS in the RSAF back in the late 70's and when ROD (we called it ROD, u boys call it ORD now) joined SIA. Love planes too but never really too deep. Kept up with the news of development of military aircrafts when I was younger and commercial airplanes when I got older. Pic of my favourite plane, Super Guppy. How it get airborne, I really don't know. Hmmm...maybe now I know why I also like Belugas and Santa Claus. :ohttp://www.air-and-space.com/19821023%20Edwards/82524%20B-377-SG%20Super%20Guppy%20N940NA%20NASA%20right%20side%20l.jpg http://www.air-and-space.com/guppies/821016al.jpg

are u a pilot? 744f freight dog? :D

i dont quite fancy the beluga/supper guppy. i tink the dreamlifter is the nicest among all the outsize cargo planes.

I like the Lockheed L-1011 Tristar :)l1011dll.jpg

Did this in 08 for my friend :D0814.jpg And an old old F15 pic taken during my first AA 0816.jpg

nice pics u got there. :) the models ones are so good u can try passing them off as photos of real aircraft and submit to some online sites. haha.

Ya :) collect model commercial planes too.. Mainly from herpa! Like to take them out once in a while to admire.. The workmanship on them is soo amazing. Got a really cute crossair McDonald's livery plane! Maybe I'll post a pic sometime!

haha crossair! nice. it's the md-80 right? too bad they're no longer around..

Me too. Interested in both commercial and military aviation, and also interested in military pilots.

hehehe... ikr.. used to go to air force school for lunch during ns...

a Dassault Mirage2000 before I leave for site visit.... 0114.jpg @Sgbotl - I'll go dig from my archives, I should still have most of the shots of that SQ collection, including Concorde and old planes like 707.

wow! sq concorde and 707s? i'm certinaly looking forward to those! do you have 757 ones too? :D thanks for going thru the trouble of digging them up :)

Edited by sgbotl

I work in the Aerospace Industry. I see a lot of planes, military and commercial. I love planes a lot :)

I live in Changi Village, and I see planes every and still love it

Hit me up if anyone is going there for plane spotting

Life's a bitch, deal with it

ahem.... it is still around!!! :P

0820.jpg

SQ 757-200 have. Beluga also have somewhere.....

ahh! yes! This is exactly it - you have one too MeowPrince?

For the collectors out there, what's your plane model size preference? Prefer 1:500 personally!

The other one that I like is the Thai Airways Royal Barge Suphannahong planes:

513302.jpg

Edited by benice

Hi guys, Anyone here into plane spotting or aviation photography? or flight simulator or even aeroplanes in general? Ocassionally I go to changi beach/changi business park (strictly for planes and I leave before the sun sets!) to take photos of planes so i was wondering if there were any others in the AJ community who have the same interests. It would be nice to make some friends with similar interests so we can go spotting together or something. Maybe, if there are sufficient numbers, we can even form an AJ aviation enthusiast group. :D Anyone? :)

Weird, i do exactly the same things and go the same places to spot planes.

BTW, any other even better places to spot those big birds? Really love them!

Hey boys, saw this thread rather late...

I'm into aviation too, the flying part...

I do basic commercial plane recognition only, would b glad to learn from u guys.

Lungker, i would like to know u if u don't mind knowing ppl from the same company.

@benice - nope I do not own any. I shot them for collector friends, who also asked me to layout some of those spec sheets that I post here (like the one below) for them. Do think I've pics of the TG plane though. Have Qantas, JAL, UA, and several others, including a Seaworld plane and a Simpsons plane iirc. :P

something from the MSA era...

0818.jpg

I'd normal prefer to spot and/or shoot in clearly "safe" locales like within an airport's view gallery. Hence much of my real plane shots are from overseas, or from above. Otherwise, it'd be my older pics on the tarmac taken during air shows. Since NS I'd always been interested in military weapons and stuff, the commercial side came halfway thru uni. But its just embers of interest now, more into the photography of it instead.

oh, here's the Concorde.... :)

0819.jpg

Edited by MeowPrince

I do basic commercial plane recognition only, would b glad to learn from u guys.

Lungker, i would like to know u if u don't mind knowing ppl from the same company.

Hi , so r u from SIA too?

Sorry, I left SIA December 1982 to further my studies in the States. Still had many straight friends there and in the aviation industry.

Good company to work for - an iron rice bowl but the pay is below industry standards.

Cheers.

Hi , so r u from SIA too?

Yea, u r in sq?

Sorry, I left SIA December 1982 to further my studies in the States. Still had many straight friends there and in the aviation industry.

Good company to work for - an iron rice bowl but the pay is below industry standards.

Cheers.

1982! Wow, tht was before I was born.... U still in aviation industry?

we all love aeroplanes... big ones little ones, fast ones, fat ones, sleek ones, ones that carry huge loads, ones that are single seat, propeller planes, jet planes, gliders and sea planes... very phallic thing... plane... especially we get to wash the aeroplane head...

Lungker, LONG TIME NO SEE..... still smokin' I see... and golfing? we should really do another round sometime... cheep one as always... I'm poor... . and 19th hole optional and all that hahaha...

Been building planes on Airfix, Tamiya, and Morgan 1/72 and 1/48 scale models since Secondary School days... unfortunately lots get ... lost when mother gave them away to kids as 'toys' arrrgh....

Love reading and looking at them yes... bot lots of illustated books too... not to keen on 'shooting' them as they are on the ground when that happens (boring) and i don't have the kind of ZOOM/Telephoto length required for film shooting in my time...now of course can lor... digital 20 megapixels on 200x digital zoom also can...

love them all... from the Sopwith Pup to the Fokker Tri-plane to the Spads all the way to the F22s and everything in between heh heh...

Edited by Baloo

Anyone want to help me answer this? :(

I need another cigarette.... :hat:

Sorry Lungker, I didn't mean that.... Just amazed by ur experience in the industry... ;)

Anyone want to help me answer this? :(

I need another cigarette.... :hat:

Sorry Lungker, I didn't mean that.... Just amazed by ur experience in the industry... ;)

You must be real sorry to post it twice. :)

No problem young man...I will be 53 later this year.

I left the industry after I left for the States. Only dealing I have with the industry now is the friends I had from SIA from years back. They are spread all over the industry and some of them left SIA and are in senior positions in CAAS. BTW, they are all straights.

Be happy.

You must be real sorry to post it twice. :) No problem young man...I will be 53 later this year. I left the industry after I left for the States. Only dealing I have with the industry now is the friends I had from SIA from years back. They are spread all over the industry and some of them left SIA and are in senior positions in CAAS. BTW, they are all straights. Be happy.

whoa.. i'm sure you have a lot of stories from SIA to tell. do share :)

Weird, i do exactly the same things and go the same places to spot planes. BTW, any other even better places to spot those big birds? Really love them!

You can try changi coast road. The road that parallels the runway. Great view but don't stand too close to the fence or the polcie will come!

I work in the Aerospace Industry. I see a lot of planes, military and commercial. I love planes a lot :) I live in Changi Village, and I see planes every and still love it Hit me up if anyone is going there for plane spotting

You live at Changi Village?I'm jealous! haha. Lucky you. It's like aeroplane heaven there. Don't have to step out of your house to spot :)

Me too! Me too! Have a display cabinet of SQ, TG, Swiss, Star Alliance, Boeing and Airbus model planes. Sometimes we go to the side of the runway via the small road next to Changi Prison to look at planes. The police would try to chase us away, but we just stand on the bridge above the canal and they can't do anything.

Sounds like a good place to spot! could you point it out on the map?

Oh noes, seems like almost everyone here is into commercial planes instead of military ones. :(

that probbaly has something to do with the stereotype of AJs being more feminine? haha.. i dunno. for myself, i used to like military jets but started to prefer commercial as i grew up.. i still keep up with military aviation here and there tho..

my earliest studio shot of plane models (yeah, I know the A380 isn't that old....) 0821.jpg and the Simpsons! 0822.jpg

Nice! i like the simpsons plane! western pacific had the most interesting liveries among american airlines (and so did america west, but both of them are gone now :( )

Here's my collection of model aircraft..

DSC02179.jpg

DSC02172.jpg

DSC02175.jpg

DSC02176.jpg

DSC02177.jpg

and lastly, the airplane graveyard... :(

DSC02182.jpg

Hello all

I have interest in aviation too....was in engineering...rsaf trainee....looong time ago :smokin: better smoke a ciggy first and join hmm Lunker :thumb:

It will be nice know more people with the same interest.

Anything that flies is intersting isn't it....even PIGs :oops:

I miss my airforce uniform and the flying suit as they call it back then. Wasted should have kept a set for mermories :smokin:

sgbotl.....the rainbow plane of SQ....should be a collectors item....I wished i had it....or bot it when i had the chance.

Edited by Marineboy

Ah.. I spotted the tropical livery.... the doomed SQ006 :( Sad sad day.

Anyone ever been to Princess Juliana International Airport? Or rather, the beach besides it...?

@sgbotl - Wow, that is one big collection. Too bad my pics are all solo birds. Must slowly retrieve from the archived drives to post. I'll definitely go dig out those colorful liveries. Have a pretty complete collection of SQs as well, though just short of the A330-300.

Anyway, here is another Beluga...

0823.jpg

and an ATR-72 taken a couple of years back...

0826.jpg

Edited by MeowPrince

And a strong whisky...

Those youngsters are so direct sometimes...

But I thought that in Asian societies, respect to the elders was a solid value? :unsure:

No lah, he wasn't being rude at all.

My fault. I just realised how old I am compared to most readers here. However you are right, a couple of Johnny Black on the rocks might get me feeling young and randy again.... :P

No lah, he wasn't being rude at all.

My fault. I just realised how old I am compared to most readers here. However you are right, a couple of Johnny Black on the rocks might get me feeling young and randy again.... :P

I was (partly) kidding; I had not seen the clever answer he found. Better be considered "experienced" than "old". When I told a youger British colleague that I was about to take an"old man job", he politely replied: "No, a wise man job"...

Anyway, if you come to Paris, I buy you a Chivas, Glenfiddich, or Yamazaki (yes! Japanese produce splendid whiskies!).

Hi Lungker and Phil,

Pardon my insensitivity when selecting words. Drinks on me if we have the chance to meet in the future.

Well, my friends ranging from 18yo to 70+yo, and myself in late twenties, consider the older category too in grindr. Lol.

The point is, I really don't see ppl elder than me as old. I will be there too within a few blinks. I like to listen to stories of ppl from all walks of life.

V G P...you not member of BW? so cannot send you PM.

So VPG.....very g** pilot? v good pilot? v gungho person? hahahaha just kidding hor :P

I was (partly) kidding; I had not seen the clever answer he found. Better be considered "experienced" than "old". When I told a youger British colleague that I was about to take an"old man job", he politely replied: "No, a wise man job"...

Anyway, if you come to Paris, I buy you a Chivas, Glenfiddich, or Yamazaki (yes! Japanese produce splendid whiskies!).

BonJour....do the rest of us get the same offer should we end up in Paris? :P

I just came back from changi business park moments ago from a session of spotting. A friend of mine who's a BW lurker alerted me to this thread.

An avid aviation photographer here with very questionable skills but it don't stop me from trying. Used to do spotting trip overseas and my fav airport would be HKG followed by SYD. Back when BKK was still Don Mueang, I loved it but these days Suvarnabhumi is shits for a plane spotter.

Here's a loud holler to all out there

Slayer

Hi Lungker and Phil,

Pardon my insensitivity when selecting words. Drinks on me if we have the chance to meet in the future.

Well, my friends ranging from 18yo to 70+yo, and myself in late twenties, consider the older category too in grindr. Lol.

The point is, I really don't see ppl elder than me as old. I will be there too within a few blinks. I like to listen to stories of ppl from all walks of life.

Don't worry, I appreciate your polite and clever answer... :thumb:

And if we meet, I'll buy the drinks, as being probably the oldest (ooops, sorry, "most experienced"... ;) ).

We'll also be able to talk about aviation...

ME ME three! HAHA! (:

I grew up loving planes...since maybe I was about 10 and rode on my first plane ride. Sadly I do not have enough moolah to get aas many plane collections as some of you guys here do! :/

I always get these chills every single time I see a plane roar into the sky. I use to remember spenind gmy weekends at the old T1 viewing gallery taking down these planes and their registration numbers...my mom thought I was abit obsessed then HAHA!

andddd everytime I fly I always get the same thrill I got when I was 10 and first rode a plane ;)

• Guest locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic