Male HQ

Meow, The Cat Lovers Thread

MeowPrince

On 20/02/2016 at 7:58 PM, Latte said:

For those of you staying alone, who looks after your cat(s) when you're away travelling. Any pet hotel or sitter to recommend?

Kittycare Haven is the most responsible ones I know and the most experienced.  They used by my circle of personal friends, as well as the experienced rescuers/fosterers I know.

Personally, I've come across a number of fly-by-night home operators who advertised on Facebook and Carousel.  Cannot trust many of them.  One particular woman even returned cats with new fleas/ticks and in one case, cat flu.  

Edited by MeowPrince
remove an irresponsible place

Instagram @the_meowprince

I miss having a cat so much!

I miss touching its soft fur, listening to its purrs... the little nudges it does when rubbing against your legs :(

Edited by Ari

29 minutes ago, Latte said:

Thanks for the recommendations....:)

No prob.  Just be wary of those "home-boarding" places where its actually someone's (usually some makcik's) home.  My circle of caregivers/rescuers and myself, we've visited quite a few (they advertise very blatantly on FB/Carousel), almost all of them are dirty/messy and are unsafe for our furkids.  There was even one that had fleas and a sick cat in her house!  So be careful if you seek cheaper/nearer (to home) alternatives.

15 hours ago, MeowPrince said:

No prob.  Just be wary of those "home-boarding" places where its actually someone's (usually some makcik's) home.  

I wouldn't trust those set ups either. Too much riding on just one person to do things right :thumbdown:

9 hours ago, Meneedyew said:

We are couple and we both love cats.. Anyone have cats for us to cuddle? Stay near woodland

Woodlands/Marsiling area has lots of community cats, and many are well-cared for by regular feeders/caregivers.  Just visit those nearby your home.  The furballs would love some kindly human loving.
#adoptdontshop #lovecommunitycats

Quoted from SPCA's Facebook page, something to remind all of us catlovers - that if you truly love your cat(s), do be a responsible catlover too ;)

https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore/?fref=nf

WHY I SHOULD NOT BREED MY CATS?

There are too many kittens being born and ending up in shelters . Before you even consider breeding your cats, think about this.

At any one time, one male and one female can be responsible for producing four to eight kittens in a litter. Theoretically, in three years, those two cats can be responsible for 20,000 new lives as their off-springs will also grow up and reproduce. There are already so many kittens looking for homes.

You can help the animal welfare cause and the high unwanted pet population just by the simple act of sterilising your pet. By sterilising, you are saving lives.

Call your nearest vet clinic for an appointment today:http://www.sva.org.sg/sva_clinics_page.asp

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So many cats here!!! I don't have a cat but i like cats so much!!! There are a few strays around my neighbourhood and i usually go squat beside them and chat with them. haha!!!! 

Can someone organize a "Bring Your Cat day" event and we have have some fun with your cats haha...

On 6/12/2016 at 3:27 PM, KTeddy said:

Can someone organize a "Bring Your Cat day" event and we have have some fun with your cats haha...

My cats can hardly stand being in the same room together. I can just imagine the damage they would cause if they were put together with other unknown cats at such an event. Their humans would probably leave in bloodied state.

I'd strongly recommend against such a notion.

Most house cats (especially those that have spent years or from kittenhood in a home) are usually not comfortable with strangers petting them and I'm pretty sure we won't want our furbabies feeling traumatized by such an event.  We have to think of their mental well-being too ;)

Strays, esp community cats, that have been more accustomed to interacting with multiple humans may be a different story.  The same goes for those rescued and living happily at cat cafes.  They are more comfortable around people, so may be ok with a few people stroking or playing with them.  

I had 3 cats. I rescued the mum in 2000 from a flooded drain. I didn't know she was pregnant. She soon gave birth to 3 kitten but refused to nurse them. She ran away soon after and left me to raise the kittens. 2 boys, 1 girl. The girl ran away in 2004. One boy died of old age last year. I am left with one now and I love him (and his 2 siblings) to death! This is him, Creme!

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, MeowPrince said:

I'd strongly recommend against such a notion.

Most house cats (especially those that have spent years or from kittenhood in a home) are usually not comfortable with strangers petting them and I'm pretty sure we won't want our furbabies feeling traumatized by such an event.  We have to think of their mental well-being too ;)

Strays, esp community cats, that have been more accustomed to interacting with multiple humans may be a different story.  The same goes for those rescued and living happily at cat cafes.  They are more comfortable around people, so may be ok with a few people stroking or playing with them.  

Ok haha. I'm good with the strays around my area. There's a grey, a light grey, a light yellow and a white cat at my neighbourhood. I would just squat and chat with them when i see them haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Many are beautiful creatures, many are very affectionate toward humans.
And just as many live a hard life, either abandoned by previous owners, or are not cared for responsibly.
Keeping a cat as a pet is a real and serious responsibility.  He/she is has a life too.

Of these four below, is a home-roamer, ie, has a home, but is left to roam onto the streets anytime.  That's irresponsible ownership, for when/should anything happen to the cat, the owner will blame abuse/cruel passerby/fate/god/etc.  And then use that excuse to ask for sponsors for the vet bill.  Shocking?  Sadly it is very true and very disgusting, and its getting common on FB.  

Any of these four is an abandoned case.  She was adopted as a kitten, but two years later, is "too big" for the child, so got dumped behind a hotel.  We only recently managed to trap her and send her for sterilisation.  Yes previous owner had refused to sterilise (nonsense excuses as usual).  At least now she is lucky, the security guard there and the restaurant workers chipped in to ensure she has food and sleeping boxes.

411515_zpstbe1tlcy.jpg

Following on my earlier post, a friend on this forum whatsapped me to say that some people may feel "butt-hurt" or confused by what I said.

Let me try to put some context to it. :)

In Singapore's context, and similarly for densely built cities elsewhere, letting one's pet (cat/dog/rabbit) run out of the home is DANGEROUS.  Because said cat can end up crossing a road and meeting an oncoming vehicle.  In Singapore the danger is increased because of our high urban density.  Even those who stay in condos face this worry.  For the same reason, rescuers/mediators/volunteers always tell feeders to feed away from high-traffic areas.  

Then there is the fear of kitty falling down X floors to the ground.  Again a very real and often-repeated danger.  Did you know that more than half of the Yishun cases were actually deaths by falling?  And ironically, the owners/households whose cats met such a fate are die-hard refuse-to-mesh, refuse-to-keep-indoor ones.  When accidents like that happen, they quickly claim the cat is a stray.  Yet they still continue to let cats wander in and out of their homes.  On the FB groups, you can read regular rescuers/mediators cursing how these idiots (yes they are idiots!) never learn.  Instead, they blame phantom abusers and catkillers.

Cat Fancier groups want you to buy fancy breeds.  Of course they do, because they, and the breeders, make money out of it.  And they all conveniently sweep the fact of many more kitties needing a home under the rug.  And do you know how ridiculously easy it is to be "certified" by them?  Do you know how rampant backyard breeders are in Singapore?  VERY!  That the authorities are already swamped with cases is made worse by the fact that it isn't easy to prosecute these scumbags.  Most of them even breed and sell sick kittens, while keeping thin and sickly mother cats, sick because it is non-stop breeding.  Please DO NOT encourage or support such practices.
When you adopt from responsible fosterers, it may seem a hassle to have to comply with house visits and the CWS guidelines, but it is all in the interest of the cat you are giving a home to.  Hence the few reference groups I listed.  

You can scroll back the earlier pages of this thread.  All the cat pics I have posted are strays or rescues.  Yes, including the smokey half-Persian, the Ragdoll, the many BSH/ASH, the black Norwegian Forest, and the Bengal.  Some of them are still awaiting adopters.  Please consider saving some.  *smooch*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest jonlittle

Neighbourhood cats are so adorable. Some just laze all day waiting to be fed and pet while others just stay away from passersby. I'll love to bring one back home when I can. <3

On 13/03/2017 at 10:02 PM, jonlittle said:

Neighbourhood cats are so adorable. Some just laze all day waiting to be fed and pet while others just stay away from passersby. I'll love to bring one back home when I can. <3

This is a friendly reminder that HDB's cannot keep cats. :(

Guest jonlittle
4 hours ago, Nipoet said:

This is a friendly reminder that HDB's cannot keep cats. :(

Wait it's illegal to do so in HDB? Oh man. So many times did I have the urge to keep one. :(