Male HQ

Hardboiled Egg, Softboiled Yolk

tgones

Hey guys,

I went to a ramen shop recently and was sooooooooooooo impressed with the egg in the ramen.

It's a hardboiled egg but as you bite, you will find the yolk is half cooked. Still creamy.

Honestly, this is quite unusual to me but anyone here know how to make that?

Any kitchen sifu here to help out?

In Japan, such a cooking method is done , because the eggs are boiled at 70deg constantly using their thermal spring water. for 5 mins then freeze in cold water

However this method can be achieved closely, at home , althought it is not as good as done by the Japanese.

Because water boiled in a pot under flame, will raise the water deg very fast to 100 deg

Thus to slow down this boiling rate, and to prolong the water to be at 70 deg, under boiling point as much as and as long as possible, the trick is to add a few dash of RICE VINEGER into the water before boiling, then constantly stir the water very gently with you add the egg into the water.

By 5mins, remove egg, and freeze it in ice water.

It seems that white chicken eggs are more achieveable that the brown ones

This method was taught and demonstrated by one of my ex bf, who was a Japanese.

This adding of rice vinegar method, is also used when you make poached eggs at 70 deg.

The only difference is, the latter is cracked opened with the egg white and yoik boiling with the water

PS - for your info. please boil your eggs, in any case above 62-63 deg

Anything under this temp, harmful bacteria can still strive.

In Japan, such a cooking method is done , because the eggs are boiled at 70deg constantly using their thermal spring water. for 5 mins then freeze in cold water

However this method can be achieved closely, at home , althought it is not as good as done by the Japanese.

Because water boiled in a pot under flame, will raise the water deg very fast to 100 deg

Thus to slow down this boiling rate, and to prolong the water to be at 70 deg, under boiling point as much as and as long as possible, the trick is to add a few dash of RICE VINEGER into the water before boiling, then constantly stir the water very gently with you add the egg into the water.

By 5mins, remove egg, and freeze it in ice water.

It seems that white chicken eggs are more achieveable that the brown ones

This method was taught and demonstrated by one of my ex bf, who was a Japanese.

This adding of rice vinegar method, is also used when you make poached eggs at 70 deg.

The only difference is, the latter is cracked opened with the egg white and yoik boiling with the water

PS - for your info. please boil your eggs, in any case above 62-63 deg

Anything under this temp, harmful bacteria can still strive.

Hi TheVisitor. Great post.

I've got an idea. How about i boil the water using an induction cooker and set the temperature constant at 70 degree?

If i can achive that, do i still need vinegar?

Hi TheVisitor. Great post.

I've got an idea. How about i boil the water using an induction cooker and set the temperature constant at 70 degree?

If i can achive that, do i still need vinegar?

I really don't know . It was my ex who did all the cooking, not me, i just sit at the couch, waiting to be served !!!

But from my own logic induction, the texture of the eggs boiled in Japan, was affected largely by the minerals presented in the thermal spring water.

As such, rice vinegar, could be another form of substitute for the minerals.

It could be a little longer than 5 mins, as he used a timer when he cooked the eggs

Why not you try and give us a field report?

Oh yes, he always use a clay pot, not the metal ones

Edited by TheVisitors

You can try the method in this clip from 1:25 to 2:10 to make the seasoned soft-boiled eggs... Seems straightforward enough: boil the room-temperature eggs for 4 minutes and peel them in ice-water before letting them soak in seasoning overnight.

At 3:18 when she slices the eggs open with a string (so stylo-mylo) you can see the yolks are still creamy and a bit runny.

• 2 weeks later...

the way to get eggs perfectly cooked is to watch the temperature. the egg white turns hard at 63 degrees, while the egg yolk turns hard at 65 degrees. something about the way the proteins react in the egg. which means that if you maintain the temperature of the water at 63 degrees, you will end up with hard-boiled egg white and soft egg yolk.

if you don't have a thermometer, then the next best method is to trial and error, and stick to the timing once you find a good timing to take the egg out. i believe 5 min with simmering water at medium-low heat, and eggs from the fridge, is a good gauge. as mentioned before, remember to have a bowl of ice-cold water to stop the egg from cooking after you have fished it out from the hot water. the timing will be affected if you use room-temperature eggs, or if you use eggs of different sizes. a "normal" egg in singapore is about 50g, a "large" egg about 60g.

if you don't want the shell to break and the white leaking out while cooking, you can use a needle to make a tiny hole in the tapered end of the egg before cooking it.

i believe the vinegar does not serve much purpose when it comes to making this type of eggs. it is used when making poached eggs (aids in the coagulation of the egg white).

jingle-bitch screwed me over

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

Hey guys,

I went to a ramen shop recently and was sooooooooooooo impressed with the egg in the ramen.

It's a hardboiled egg but as you bite, you will find the yolk is half cooked. Still creamy.

Honestly, this is quite unusual to me but anyone here know how to make that?

Any kitchen sifu here to help out?

hmm....

sound like the one u referring is my friend's friend stall. They are twin in their mid 20's selling ramen. To me, their ramen taste soso only. But then, they also sell some online cookies which I quite like it.

• 2 weeks later...

to add to my earlier post, I found out that the addition of the vinegar is to help with the peeling with the egg. It's supposed to make it easier. Will try it out the next time I make eggs.

jingle-bitch screwed me over

go to hell jingle-whore

go to hell

go to hell

go to he-l-l

• 2 months later...
Guest Chef John

haha...

all of the above methods r wrong. u cant get the actual temperature by just using a thermomether. the temperature varies..u have to use sous vide cooking and by using sous vide cooking, u can cook the egg at 65 dregree celuis for 30 mins which will give ya the texture of "ya kun" kaya toast egg like.But this method is very expensive. as you need to buy the machine. hence i will now write down this free quick and eady method you can learn / do in just less than 10 mins.

If you wana cook something like the "ramen" egg.

Try the following method:

1) Bing a pot of water to a boil, just enough to cover your eggs*.

2) once its boil, carefully place your eggs* into the pot of boiling water.

3) cook for 6 mins.(no more than that) While the eggs is cooking, standby a bowl of water filled with ice. (ice water)

4) After 6 mins, quickly take the egg out and put into the ice water. As it will stop the process of overcooking the egg.

5) Can be keep in the fridge for maximum of 2 days, no more than that.

6) You can eat the eggs just from the fridge or can be reheating the eggs in a pot of boiling water for 1 min.

* Eggs used are large free range eggs.

Bon Appetite

• 2 months later...

But from my own logic induction, the texture of the eggs boiled in Japan, was affected largely by the minerals presented in the thermal spring water.

As such, rice vinegar, could be another form of substitute for the minerals.

It could be a little longer than 5 mins, as he used a timer when he cooked the eggs

The vinegar is used to soften the shell of the eggs for easy peeling later on. Vinegar is acidic and would react with the calcium of the egg shell :)

• 6 months later...

haha...

all of the above methods r wrong. u cant get the actual temperature by just using a thermomether. the temperature varies..u have to use sous vide cooking and by using sous vide cooking, u can cook the egg at 65 dregree celuis for 30 mins which will give ya the texture of "ya kun" kaya toast egg like.But this method is very expensive. as you need to buy the machine. hence i will now write down this free quick and eady method you can learn / do in just less than 10 mins.

If you wana cook something like the "ramen" egg.

Try the following method:

1) Bing a pot of water to a boil, just enough to cover your eggs*.

2) once its boil, carefully place your eggs* into the pot of boiling water.

3) cook for 6 mins.(no more than that) While the eggs is cooking, standby a bowl of water filled with ice. (ice water)

4) After 6 mins, quickly take the egg out and put into the ice water. As it will stop the process of overcooking the egg.

5) Can be keep in the fridge for maximum of 2 days, no more than that.

6) You can eat the eggs just from the fridge or can be reheating the eggs in a pot of boiling water for 1 min.

* Eggs used are large free range eggs.

Bon Appetite

Thank you. My Ex did it with this method using large eggs fresh from the fridge and cooking at exactly 7 min under hot water just below simmering point (ie no major bubbling)... the only headache I have encountered so far is that the egg shells seem to break very often on me.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.