Male HQ

Colon Cancer And Anal Sex

Guest Guess

Guest Guess

Go a friend who was diagnosed with colon cancer, went to hospital and doctor asked him whether he is into anal sex.

I suppose there is relation between the two. My friend has passed away for few years now but this question still lingers at times.

Lungker, think about it... Condom, lube, especially oil-based lube, etc are not stuff that the colon is supposed to be in contact with constantly... So, it might be true that there is a link between anal sex and colon cancer... But then again, it could also be because the guy did not clean up well after sex...

During anal sex, the wart (human papilloma virus or HPV) virus can be passed from top to bottom. There are numerous strains of HPV, some of which can cause anal cancer. This HPV is also responsible for causing cervical cancer in women (e.g. Anita Mui died from cervical cancer), that is why women goes for Pap smear every year to check if there are abnormalities in the cervix.

Recently the HPV vaccine named Gardasil was approved for use in Singapore, for women who have not began to have sex. Now studies are ongoing to check if Gardasil is also effective for women who had began to have sex.

Gardasil protects against a few sub-types of HPV.

Overseas, gay men are also getting Gardasil, in the hope that they still not be infected with most of the HPV sub-types, so that Gardasil is still able to protect them against those sub-types that have not infected them before.

In my army days when I was a medic, I was quite intrigued with a particular case. There was this guy who shared the same bunk and would openly flaunt his gayness by painting his nails and acting really effeminate. And he didnt hide the fact he was a transvestite at night who really plied his trade at Desker Road 'for fun' and always boasted about how hard his customers 'did' him.

One day he went to see my medical officer. So I kaypoh looked at his medical file and was shocked to read that his rectum wall had collapsed. At that time I never thought that was possible. So, I'd never rule out cancer whether it's the colon (which happens to be the biggest causing cancer in Spore according to the recent ad) or the rectal esp if it's been traumatised and misused.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00852.html

An article from CNN, their Health Library Section; which is done in association with The Mayo Clinic. The article is dated 27 Dec 2006.

In it they mention under "Risk Factors" - "Anal sex. Men and women who engage in anal sex have an increased risk of anal cancer."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Anal cancer

From MayoClinic.com

Special to CNN.com

Introduction

Anal cancer is a rare form of cancer that occurs in the anus. The anus is a 1 1/2-inch tube at the end of your rectum through which stool leaves your body. Muscles called sphincters surround the anus and control bowel movements.

About 4,600 people are diagnosed with anal cancer annually, according to the American Cancer Society. While anal cancer is rare, its incidence appears to be increasing, though it isn't completely clear why.

Treatment for anal cancer in the past typically meant extensive surgery and the removal of the anus. Today doctors have found ways to control anal cancer through radiation and chemotherapy, saving the anus and preserving normal bowel function for anal cancer survivors. But that isn't always possible for late-stage anal cancers. However, the majority of anal cancer is caught in its earliest stages — when treatment provides the best chance for cure.

Signs and symptoms

Anal cancer signs and symptoms include:

* Bleeding from the anus or rectum

* Pain in the area of the anus

* A mass or growth in the anus

* Anal itching

* Anal discharge

* A feeling of fullness in the anal area

Some people don't experience any anal cancer signs and symptoms.

Causes

In general, cancer begins with a genetic mutation that turns normal, healthy cells into abnormal cells. Healthy cells grow and multiply at a set rate, eventually dying at a set time. Abnormal cells grow and multiply out of control, and they don't die. The accumulating abnormal cells form a mass (tumor). Cancer cells invade nearby tissues and can separate from an initial tumor to spread elsewhere in the body (metastasize).

Doctors don't know what causes the genetic mutation that triggers the development of anal cancer. However, they have identified several factors that may increase the risk of anal cancer.

Risk factors

Several factors have been found to increase the risk of anal cancer, including:

* Your sex. Women have a higher risk of anal cancer than do men.

* Your age. Most cases of anal cancer occur in people age 50 and older.

* Having many sexual partners. Men and women who have many sexual partners over their lifetimes have a greater risk of anal cancer.

* Anal sex. Men and women who engage in anal sex have an increased risk of anal cancer.

* Smoking. Smoking cigarettes may increase your risk of anal cancer. Former smokers have only a slightly elevated risk of anal cancer.

* Human papillomavirus (HPV). HPV infection increases your risk of several cancers, including anal cancer and cervical cancer. HPV is a sexually transmitted disease that can also cause genital warts. HPV may cause cells in the anus to appear abnormal — a condition called anal squamous intraepithelial lesions (ASIL). The abnormal cells associated with ASIL aren't cancer, but they may develop into anal cancer. However, some people with ASIL never develop anal cancer.

* Drugs or conditions that suppress your immune system. People who take drugs to suppress their immune systems (immunosuppressive drugs), including people who have received organ transplants, may have an increased risk of anal cancer. Long-term use of corticosteroids, such as those prescribed to control autoimmune disorders, also may increase the risk of anal cancer. HIV — the virus that causes AIDS — suppresses the immune system and increases the risk of anal cancer.

When to seek medical advice

The signs and symptoms of anal cancer aren't specific to this disease. Some people mistake their signs and symptoms for more common conditions, such as hemorrhoids, and don't see their doctors. Talk to your doctor about any signs and symptoms that bother you, especially if you have any factors that increase your risk of anal cancer. Treatment for anal cancer is more likely to succeed if cancer is found at an earlier stage.

Screening and diagnosis

Tests and procedures used to diagnose anal cancer include:

* Feeling your anus and rectum for abnormalities. During a digital rectal exam (DRE), your doctor inserts a gloved, lubricated finger into your rectum. He or she feels for anything unusual, such as growths. DRE isn't used to diagnose anal cancer, but it can give your doctor an indication of what further testing might be appropriate.

* Visually inspecting your anus and rectum. Your doctor may use a short lighted tube (anoscope) to inspect your anus and rectum for anything unusual. Your doctor inserts the lubricated tube into your rectum to examine your anus, anal canal and rectum. You may feel pressure during anoscopy, but it shouldn't hurt. You may be required to take laxatives or an enema in order to clean your rectum before the procedure.

* Taking sound wave pictures of your anus. In order to create a sonogram picture of your anus, your doctor inserts a probe, similar to a thick thermometer, into your anus and rectum. The probe emits high-energy sound waves, called ultrasound waves, which bounce off tissues and organs in your body to create a picture. Your doctor evaluates the sonogram picture to look for anything abnormal.

* Removing a sample of tissue for laboratory testing. If your doctor discovers any unusual areas, he or she may take small samples of affected tissue (biopsy) and send the samples to a laboratory for analysis. By looking at the cells under a microscope, doctors can determine if the cells are cancerous. Biopsy samples are typically removed during anoscopy. You may feel a pinch and experience some bleeding during a biopsy procedure.

Staging

Once your doctor confirms that you have anal cancer, he or she works to determine the size of the cancer and whether it has spread — a process called staging. Determining your cancer's stage helps your doctor determine the best way to treat your cancer. Tests and procedures used in the staging of your cancer may include:

* Images of your pelvis and abdomen. Your doctor may use computerized tomography (CT) scans of your pelvis and abdomen to assess the extent of your cancer in that area.

* X-ray images of your chest. X-rays of your chest can reveal if cancer has spread to your lungs or the bones in your chest.

Your doctor uses the information from the procedures to assign your cancer a stage. The stages of anal cancer are:

* Stage I. Anal cancer is 2 centimeters or less — about the size of a peanut or smaller.

* Stage II. Anal cancer is larger than 2 centimeters, but has not spread beyond the anus.

* Stage IIIA. Anal cancer is any size and has spread to lymph nodes near the rectum or it has spread to nearby areas, such as the bladder, urethra or vagina.

* Stage IIIB. Anal cancer is any size and has spread to nearby areas and lymph nodes, or it has spread to lymph nodes in the pelvis.

* Stage IV. Anal cancer has spread to parts of the body away from the pelvis.

Complications

Anal cancer rarely spreads (metastasizes) to distant parts of the body. Only a small percentage of tumors are found to have spread, but those that do are especially difficult to treat. Anal cancer that metastasizes most commonly spreads to the liver and the lungs.

Treatment

What treatment you receive for anal cancer depends on the stage of your cancer. Treatment most commonly involves chemotherapy and radiation, though sometimes surgery also is used. In the past, doctors usually treated anal cancer with extensive surgery. Today doctors try other methods first in an attempt to preserve bowel function for people with anal cancer.

Combined chemotherapy and radiation

Doctors treat anal cancer with a combination of chemotherapy and radiation. Combined, these two treatments enhance each other and improve chances for a cure.

* Chemotherapy. Chemotherapy drugs are injected into a vein or taken as pills. The chemicals travel throughout your body, killing rapidly growing cells, such as cancer cells. Unfortunately they also damage healthy cells that grow rapidly, including those in your gastrointestinal tract and in your hair follicles. This causes side effects such as nausea, vomiting and hair loss. Doctors commonly use a chemotherapy drug called 5-fluorouracil (Adrucil), which is sometimes referred to as 5-FU, to treat anal cancer. Your doctor may combine 5-FU with another chemotherapy drug called mitomycin (Mutamycin).

* Radiation therapy. Radiation therapy uses high-powered beams, such as X-rays, to kill cancer cells. During radiation therapy, you're positioned on a table and a large machine moves around you, directing radiation beams to specific areas of your body in order to target your cancer. Radiation may damage healthy tissue near where the beams are aimed. Side effects may include skin redness and sores in and around your anus, as well as hardening and shrinking of your anus.

You typically undergo radiation therapy for five or six weeks. Chemotherapy is typically administered during the first week and the fifth week. Your doctor tailors your treatment schedule based on characteristics of your cancer and your overall health. Though combining chemotherapy and radiation increases the effectiveness of the two treatments, it also makes side effects more likely. Discuss with your doctor what side effects to expect.

People with HIV are more likely to experience side effects when undergoing chemotherapy and radiation, since treatments can weaken their already-vulnerable immune systems. Side effects make it more difficult to endure and complete treatment. For this reason, your doctor may recommend lower doses of chemotherapy and radiation if you have HIV.

Surgery

Doctors typically use two different procedures to remove anal cancer based on your stage of cancer:

Surgery to remove early-stage anal cancers. Very small anal cancers that haven't spread beyond the anus may be removed through surgery. During this procedure, the surgeon removes the tumor and a small amount of healthy tissue that surrounds it. Because the tumors are small, early-stage cancers can sometimes be removed without damaging the anal sphincter muscles that surround the anus. Anal sphincter muscles control bowel movements, so doctors work to keep the muscles intact. Depending on your cancer, your doctor may also recommend chemotherapy and radiation after surgery.

If your cancer can't be removed without damaging the anal sphincters, your doctor may recommend trying combined chemotherapy and radiation first. Combined treatment may shrink your cancer to a size that allows your surgeon to perform sphincter-sparing surgery.

* Surgery for late-stage anal cancers or anal cancers that haven't responded to other treatments. If your cancer hasn't responded to chemotherapy and radiation, or if your cancer is advanced, your doctor may recommend a more extensive operation called abdominoperineal resection, which is sometimes referred to as an AP resection. During this procedure the surgeon removes the anus, rectum and a portion of the colon. The surgeon then attaches the remaining portion of your colon to an opening in your abdomen (stoma) through which waste will leave your body and collect in a colostomy bag.

Prevention

No sure way to prevent anal cancer exists. In order to reduce your risk of anal cancer:

* Practice safe sex. Abstaining from sex or practicing safe sex may help prevent HPV and HIV, two sexually transmitted viruses that may increase your risk of anal cancer. If you choose to have anal sex, use condoms.

* Get vaccinated against HPV. The Food and Drug Administration approved a vaccine against HPV in early 2006. The HPV vaccine is approved only for girls and women. Doctors hope the vaccine will help prevent HPV-related cancers in women, including cervical cancer and anal cancer. Further study may reveal that the vaccine may also be appropriate for boys and men, though they currently can't receive the vaccine because it isn't approved for males.

* Stop smoking. Smoking increases your risk of anal cancer. Don't start smoking. Quit if you currently smoke.

Coping skills

A cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming and frightening. You can help yourself to feel more in control of your cancer and your emotions by taking an active role in your health care. To help you cope, try to:

* Learn everything you can about anal cancer. Write down all the questions that are going through your mind and ask them at the next appointment with your doctor. Have a friend or family member come to appointments with you to take notes. Ask your health care team for further sources of information. The more you know about your condition, the better prepared you'll be to make decisions about your treatment. Contact the National Cancer Institute for information online or by telephone at 800-4-CANCER, or 800-422-6237. The American Cancer Society also offers support and information on its Web site and by telephone at 800-ACS-2345, or 800-227-2345.

* Create a support network. Having friends and family around you and supporting you can be valuable. You may find it helps to have someone to talk to about your emotions. Other people who may provide support include social workers and psychologists — ask your doctor for a referral if you feel the need to talk to someone. Talk with your pastor, rabbi or other spiritual leader. Other people with cancer can offer a unique perspective, so consider joining a support group — whether it's in your community or online. Contact the American Cancer Society for more information on support groups.

* Take time for yourself when you need it. Let people know when you want to be alone. Quiet time to think or write in a journal can help you sort out your emotions.

* Take care of yourself. Prepare yourself for treatment by making healthy lifestyle choices. For instance, if you smoke, quit smoking. Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. Get exercise when you feel up to it, but check with your doctor before starting a new exercise program. Try to get enough sleep so that you wake feeling refreshed. Talk to your doctor if you're having trouble sleeping. Try to control stress by prioritizing what's important to you. These healthy choices make it easier for your body to cope with the side effects of treatment.

December 27, 2006

Guest Guestar

Interesting fact about Gardasil is that, although it's marketed as a cervical cancer vaccine, some major regions like Europe and Australia approved it for male use. For reason that the human papillomavirus also causes genital warts in men, anal cancer & penile cancer.

prove correlation which does not imply causation.

Thanks to all who provided the literature for this topic.

Although there seemed to be an increase in the risk of those who participated in anal sex in getting anal cancer, it just not imply anal sex itself cause anal cancer.

Take this information as knowledge and go and have your fun. I think abstaining from what you truly enjoy will cause you stress, make you depress and ultimately kill you. :lol:

:hat: :smokin:

Please play safely! Use a condom if you are having anal sex.

Guest Guest_guest

"Go a friend who was diagnosed with colon cancer, went to hospital and doctor asked him whether he is into anal sex.

I suppose there is relation between the two. My friend has passed away for few years now but this question still lingers at times."

I think it is not the cancer you are thinking about, it is your so called friend who passed away few years back. Just be nice to people who are still living. Dun think colon cancer can be the same as anal cancer. At least i am genetically prone to have colon cancer but not anal cancer as i am an eager top but a btm if i like someone.

Guest Guest
At least i am genetically prone to have colon cancer but not anal cancer as i am an eager top but a btm if i like someone.

What talking you????? :huh:

Thx for those who has provided some literature information about anal cancer... now i really become scared of having that... huaaa.... T_T...

:lol: So Desp ........ are you thinking changing your sexual preferance? :unsure:

a good oral sex makes your day, a good anal sex makes your "hole weak"

:lol: So Desp ........ are you thinking changing your sexual preferance? :unsure:

hehehe, worldangel, i am actually bi... (i called myself bi coz i love my gf so much, but she is the only girl which i am intersted in, hwhwhw) but the thing is, once u know that being f**d by a guy feels so great, u can't stop urself being f**d, rite??? hehehe...

Formerly known as desparado

hehehe, worldangel, i am actually bi... (i called myself bi coz i love my gf so much, but she is the only girl which i am intersted in, hwhwhw) but the thing is, once u know that being f**d by a guy feels so great, u can't stop urself being f**d, rite??? hehehe...

Aha Desp ....... now 'picah lobang' and your secret had been revealed :unsure: :oops:

Some says those who have girlfriend and still want to have gay sex are called "Confused", some say they are in "Denial". They seldom use the word "Bi".

Er.. not those who are married uncles.. I think they mean those young guys.

Er...not said by me ok. I just relating what others had say, so don't flame me. :D

Very useful info, thanks for sharing. It is not the kind of info that we'd like to know but based on the multiple research studies, it's almost certainly true that anal sex does contribute significantly to an increased risk of contracting anal cancer...so players beware...

wads "picah lobang"??? dun really get it... hehehe, it is no secret though, when ppl ask me whether i am gay or not, i will say i am bi, but more to gay side, hehehe... anw, i did gay sex more often ma??? hwhwhw

Aiya, what I meant .... because you had mentioned in many of your posts that you have enjoyed so much being 'bottom' so my understanding that you are a true 'bottom' and out of sudden you mentioned that you are actually a 'bi' which corrected by GM that it should be 'confused' or 'denial' and therefore I said: now your secret is revealed or the Malay said 'picah lobang'

Anyway that is small matter lah.

TO: Worldangel and gachi Muchi...

Hehehe, after u said that i am being confused and in denial, it really strikes me leh... hmm... i shall now contemplate myself, am i really confused and in denial that i turned in this way... :unsure:

thx anw... hehehe...

Formerly known as desparado

TO: Worldangel and gachi Muchi...

Hehehe, after u said that i am being confused and in denial, it really strikes me leh... hmm... i shall now contemplate myself, am i really confused and in denial that i turned in this way... :unsure:

thx anw... hehehe...

I think it is an egoistic mentality, seriously. Not many men like to admit to be bottom because top is often related to manliness. I used to be stubborn to call myself top until I realize I can be versatile and being bottom can be such enjoyable feeling.

z

I would be suspicious of a doctor asking about anal sex for a someone with colon cancer. Colon cancer is usually due to poor dietary habits like eating a lot of meat, deep-fried food and very low fiber diet (like fruits/vegetables) resulting in prolonged contact of faecal toxin with the intestinal walls. But if the doctor asks about anal warts in relation to anal or rectum cancer, then, it sounds more relevant because warts is caused by HPV where some species are able to cause cancer.

for us btms, going for medical checkups is always traumatic....my kind of job required checkups every 2 years and I am always afraid of the last part...

everytime the doctor always have that knowing look in his eyes...but they always ask me for consent before giving closer look down there...a few times they said because anal sex increase risks so I know what you all talking about...I know it will cost a bit more for those tests and I scared it will show in the medical billing so I pretend blur and don't want...

Moreover, these medical checkups always done by very young doctors ( why? unpleasant so juniors do the dirty job? ) emmm very embarrassing for a senior uncle to talk about being a btm to a str8 young man.

Only one time, finally got a silver haired very distinguished older doctor...that time my cock almost stand... like they say sex make you brave so I finally asked him back why I need more examinations down there...he explained the same things you all write here...

still I scared got medical bills so I asked him to examine me properly now and no need another day for special appointment...he smiled and said he understand very much and told the nurse to push the other patients for 30 minutes...

But before anybody think this is p--n about doctor fantasy...hehe I wished...but he told me the only reason he is happy to help me is because almost all men will be so embarrassed that they will not ask for help even if it may cost them their lives...he checked my past records and very concerned that all the other doctors never managed to get me to go for something that I very obviously need...and he knows I was embarrassed..he is happy that I trusted him to request for it...

I told him since I am middle-aged, I am only comfortable to talk to someone older than me about such embarrassing things and he looks so kindly ( and handsome too hehe)

He told me his younger brother died of anal cancer because he never got examined down there...he himself just had his examined too

Somehow we both were adult about the whole thing while he examined me and I had a raging hardon like I usually do when I am stimulated anally, can you imagine what a young doctor would say...dirty old man right?

He even handed me a tissue because I was dripping pre-cum ( no he didn't wipe for me...how I wished..) Somehow we both were not embarrassed to know that I enjoyed it...he even told me it's natural, don't worry...it showed that I am a healthy performing man ( kind words to a btm hehehe only can perform anally lah ) at my age and sexual health is okay....He's always so careful with his words.. Since he respected me I don't want to overstep the boundary...and disrespect him...

I answered everything he asked truely because with only an analscope he cannot be very thorough and need me to tell him my sex habits...because my anal canal is well...emmm...loose? well finally he said the obvious truth..no need to pretend anymore...

Anyway I had to sit through 5 minutes of lecture on safe sex...make sure they wear condoms...don't use oil lub...choose one sex partner ( huh? I regret telling him too much true ), don't go Bangkok ( huh? I didn't tell him that leh, how he knows? standard talk one?)

Then he tell me I looked okay but still advise me to go for special checkup...

Finally I asked him got germicide for just in case condom breaks? He says no use germicide only irritate my system and more easy to get infections. Don't use lub with germicides. Huh? I don't know that leh...somemore praise the tops who buy expensive germicide lub because they care for me..see really learn many new things from old doctor..

The next time I go, asked for him he already retired

oh and one more thing..hehe call this my fantasy lah...compared to him I am young lah and I can really sense his proud that a younger man fancy him lah...don't ask me how lah..the eyes the smile look at my hard cock...the talking..seen that in most very cocky masculine good looking tops hehe

my fantasy lah..okay...he not gay I sure lah..

• Guest locked this topic