Male HQ

Discussion on Retirement For Older Gay + Life @ 50, 68 & Beyond + Retire With No Worries (Compiled)

skylancer

the secret to being happy and looking great is to avoid tanning at all costs in your 20s and 30s. If you already are in your 40s, oops too late. Oh well you can comfort yourself that a 100 year old Hermes bag still looks good.

but on a more serious note.

i get terribly sad when i hear people say "i wish I will never reach 50." because almost every year i have to say goodbye to a friend who never made it to 50. Do you think they are happier? Is that what you really want?

Sure growing older isn't all fun and laughter but are you really going to consider the alternative? Only plastic flowers never die.

Keep yourself healthy. Aim for silver in your IPPT, eat sensibly. STOP SMOKING, NOW NOW NOW. Growing old is great if you can steer clear of ailments. It's ok to get crazy drunk a couple of times in your 20s but as you get older you should learn your limits and try not to make a nuisance of yourself to your friends. And yes cultivate and nurture your little clique of friends. One of greatest joys of the silver and gold years is having friends who have been through it all with you.

Life actually becomes much simpler (or can become much simpler.) You don't have to worry about saving for your retirement because you are almost there. (You have been sensible and been diligently saving up since the day you started work, haven't you?)

Time to re-asses your priorities in life. Less rushing around, more enjoying things that you really, really want to do.

I've always embraced uncledom (unclehood?) when young people call you uncle it is a mark of respect. You have eaten more salt than they have eaten rice etc etc etc. You know how the world works. You know how the things of youth don't really last.

Ya i guess if you are going to live like you are going to be 20 forever then turning 50 is going to be a bit of a shock. But if you live knowing you will and hoping to reach 50 (or 100) then when it comes it will be party time!

To all young people reading this: Love and look after your future selves. Your future is really worth investing in!

Guest Chester

Hmmm....if you reached 50 is life any different?

I presumed you no longer can call your bf "kor kor" or poke a finger on your cheek and danced dainty. You will allocate a bulk of your expensies on creams and toner to hide the stubborn wrinkles. You felt life has entered into a new chapter and journey is no longer smooth as there will be discrimination somewhat. You go everywhere and the word "uncle" hanged in other people mouth to address you. But your heart remained young and you are not quite ready for that new chapter. Everything that is colorful you saw wearing on the young people, didn't quite match your age to put on. You can't wear tights or lingeries and going to watch cartoon movie or harry porter make you look awkward.

May be it is not so bad, because gay people don't really mind about age unlike straight people. Look at all those celebrities, they are bold and colorful. The talked like they were kids and fun words always hanged in their mouth. They winked, jumped and do all sort of stunt, but than, they are celebrities. Will they be called old hag or treated with difference in a young party world, in school (if you decided to pursue study), in work (where everyone is young). People use the word "old" to demean you if you are less smart or simply an excuse to say you are "outdated".

I am not quite there yet, but glad to know the mind of those @ 50 and beyond. Is there any advice to give or you still prefer to live life as before in your 20s, 30s and young at heart and than hide the age. I wish I will never reach 50 because I am not ready for the above scenario.

This is called being witty.

To be so, first you must received the right education. Sorry, I think Spore's education sucks and the product of education sucks big time. And we have not even mentioned about one being well-read.

Secondly, one must be expressive, that includes how u can read and anticipate others' moods, and take advantage of situations to be heard and liked. Expressiveness is another weak departments amongst Sporeans who can hardly master any language effectively.

Third, a relaxed environment. Enough said, this is Spore.

As a result, in Spore, not only people in their 50s, people whom are in their 20s are boring as hell.

Imo, it's better to age gracefully than pretend you're at a age that you're not.

Embrace the experience that you've gained, there's a reason why people respect elderly and it's because they've earned it.

It all goes down hill when you're 50 but act like you're 21. Of course, all these only applies if you give a shit about what people think. If you don't then more power to you.

the secret to being happy and looking great is to avoid tanning at all costs in your 20s and 30s. If you already are in your 40s, oops too late. Oh well you can comfort yourself that a 100 year old Hermes bag still looks good.

But how to avoid the sun when the guys go for their NS and reservist? :(

Guest Chester

I want to live like Catherine Lim. Dare to say what she wanted to say regardless of her gender and age. An inspiration. That is why I boil dessert regularly to keep myself looking young and supple.

Boiling dessert regularly does not make one stands out intellectually and courageouly.

Why are people in Spore, so well, not smart? Or at least dun sound so? ;)

Boiling dessert regularly does not make one stands out intellectually and courageouly.

YOu sound equally stupid to say the least and no, I am not going to apologise to a moron.

Why are whoever you are and wherever you're from so well, not literate. Apparently you can't read or can't understand the meaning of boiling desert to make himself look young. And of course if you have common sense, you'd realise it's a desert with something like aloe vera etc which is good for the skin. I don't know i'm not learned in that but seriously, read properly before you insult someone and paste that disgusting smiley that summarizes how spastic you are.

but on a more serious note.

i get terribly sad when i hear people say "i wish I will never reach 50." because almost every year i have to say goodbye to a friend who never made it to 50. Do you think they are happier? Is that what you really want?

Sure growing older isn't all fun and laughter but are you really going to consider the alternative? Only plastic flowers never die.

Keep yourself healthy. Aim for silver in your IPPT, eat sensibly. STOP SMOKING, NOW NOW NOW. Growing old is great if you can steer clear of ailments. It's ok to get crazy drunk a couple of times in your 20s but as you get older you should learn your limits and try not to make a nuisance of yourself to your friends. And yes cultivate and nurture your little clique of friends. One of greatest joys of the silver and gold years is having friends who have been through it all with you.

Life actually becomes much simpler (or can become much simpler.) You don't have to worry about saving for your retirement because you are almost there. (You have been sensible and been diligently saving up since the day you started work, haven't you?)

Time to re-asses your priorities in life. Less rushing around, more enjoying things that you really, really want to do.

I've always embraced uncledom (unclehood?) when young people call you uncle it is a mark of respect. You have eaten more salt than they have eaten rice etc etc etc. You know how the world works. You know how the things of youth don't really last.

Ya i guess if you are going to live like you are going to be 20 forever then turning 50 is going to be a bit of a shock. But if you live knowing you will and hoping to reach 50 (or 100) then when it comes it will be party time!

To all young people reading this: Love and look after your future selves. Your future is really worth investing in!

Hiaoshu, really liked reading what you have written. I am glad to say I am already following almost all that you have said. (I am turning 32, but been told I look 25). But I am still getting fears of getting old, and secretly wish I will die peacefully in my sleep before I reach 50.

I am 51 and I am an uncle.

In fact, the word is used widely in my office as a form of RESPECT.

The 20s-30s-something come to me whenever they face problems at work or in their lives.

They are keen to listen to an older person who gives sound advices, or at the very least help them to see

the root of their problems.

No I am not really bother about my lines - I dont think I will go for plastic surgery.

I just want to look good for a 50s.

Actually there are many things I appreciate and enjoy when I get older..

... I am currently in Chaozhou and yes, not a gay destination but a relaxing place where life is simple.

No one here talks about the stock market and/or the rising prices of goods.

I was happily having my Teochew porridge in a street stall this morning and the lady across me,

gave me the most splendid smile.

Life after 50 can be good... dont die now, all you young people...

Edited by abang

i was celebrating a birthday party of a friend who has turned into 55. He looked amazing at his age with a well kept body and complexion. We probed into his private life and he shared with us the differences he experienced from those younger days and his present self. He needs to take more short breaks in-between works, to recharge his energy. He also realised he needs to rest more and do things in slower pace. However, he continue his routine gym regime, though he is now training on lighter weights as compared to his prime years. He still party with friends at weekends but will cut off earlier instead of all nite long circuit dancing. His views on things changed over the years, take things more easy and will not dwell on minor things, able to look at matters in different angles with an open mind, learn to empathize and listen to others. One important point he has highlighted was to respect others' views regardless whatever age tat person is, never impose personal views on the juniors.

Personally i did come across some senior guys tend to stick to their beliefs and views, and impose them on others. Maybe they are those studborn old folks haha, oh yes they can be very long winded and naggy as well.

I realised my friend likes to laugh alot and very cheerful, perhaps tat keep him going and look younger than his age. I believe he is aging gracefully and take things in broader perspective, less impulsive and aggressive as well. I wish to adopt his style in my golden years too :)

Edited by thaiboyz

Guest Early Thirties

this is an excellent topic! will be glad if some of our senior /mature members can provide people like us ( 20/30s) with ur invaluable like experiences or advice so that we can learn from u and to lead better and smoother lives.

It can be anything, even regrets which u have gone through and which u feel that may benefit people like us. thanks!

Agreed. Health is wealth without health all said is worth nothing as u will feel miserable growing old and dependant on others. Worst still if you are all alone. I guess most of the plu here will end up being alone. maybe should form a club like the Samsui women where they share and buy a house to retire to when they grow old and have each other to look after them.

You are what you eat. Every time you eat something, you are either nourishing your body or poisoning it depending on what you take. Maintaining good skin, good set of teeth and keeping hair healthy are my 3 fundamental. No necessity to go for gym to build muscles and six pack but at least stretch and do simple exercise concentrating on the tummy to avoid growing a tumultuous belly. Keep yourself well groomed and dress well. Be careful not to be over flamboyant. The safest is to keep to basic colours. And yes 50 is the new 40. Keep smiling and stop bitching. Grouchy people looks older than their age and nobody likes him. Open up your heart and be generous within your means. Help others achieve and love everyone. You find yourself looking and feeling younger everyday. Love all u guys :)

• 2 months later...
Guest Joker on the run

Who is kidding who, in Singapore at least 85% of the population can never retire not because the govt say we should not retire but because nobody can comfortably exceed the cost of livings in Singapore. You need to have $5mil to retire comfortably until you kick the bucket and not just $500K. Do you math on monthly need expenses X possible lifespan you expect to live and you will get the clue by adding the medical attention if you have any form of critical sickness + inflation and other unforseeable circumstances.

Just pray.

Hv u ever seen an insurance break down on how much money will u get at the end of 25-30years when the policy expires?

U put $50,000 in total and getting $300,000 at the end of maturity?

Insurance is the worst form of investment, generally <3% per annum.

The real reason why $50,000 can become $300,000 is due to INFLATION. Not investment. Get it!!!????!!

As a matter of fact, a less than 3% return can't even cover our inflation rate now. 5.4%. Just announced by our government.

Therefore, if u need $50,000/yr to survive, the same life style requires $300,000 in 20-25 years time.

The problem with u is U assume yr $500,000 will stay $500,000 in value when u retire. Assuming u hv 20 years more to go before u kick-the-bucket, yr $500,000 will only worth $200,000 or less, assuming u do not spent a single cent.

WAKE UP!!!

I have bought 2 endowment policies, already broke even and the rate of return is less than 3%. should I surrender the policies and take out the cash and re-invest the monies (and buy pure term policies)???? or should i just wait and con't to pay the premium?

If you dont fear death and willing to avoid expensive healthcare cost....live simply but moderately...with no expensive hobbies...

You really dont need that much to survive...

But we are all afraid and greedy...its human nature...our buffer setting is so damn high..before we take the plunge.

Imaging you got retrenched or lost your job...with 500k and all loans paid you certainly will survive...it could be a forced retirement actually in this case.

But if one has the choice most will find it hard to take this step unless one is really fedup at work or with bosses or the stress and hard hours they are experiencing.

Remember health is wealth...pushing yourself a few more years with stress may not payoff...long term.

Your life...your choice. Life can be defined as the the journey of choices that ends in death. Embrace the time we have...or slave for the corporate world :oops: :smokin:

Blessed are those who really enjoy their work and not over worked. Cheaper betterer fasterer....increase productivity...icrease sales target...there is no end to it all.

29000days an average person has on earth if one lives to age 80

All the best.

What are your plans after you retire? If you have no sustaining interest, then take a few days off where you do nothing much, stay at home, watch TV and see whether you like it or not.

Life will be very boring and frustrating unless you have things to do. So, before you retire, plan your retirement well.

I have bought 2 endowment policies, already broke even and the rate of return is less than 3%. should I surrender the policies and take out the cash and re-invest the monies (and buy pure term policies)???? or should i just wait and con't to pay the premium?

It depends whether or not u hv a sound investment plan for the money. If not, keep the policies and continue to look investments that will give u a better return.

Edited by lohwpr

Guest My point is

If Singapore is big and have suburban area like other big countries, $500K is more than sufficient because in suburban area you can plant your own organic vegetables/fruits/potatoes and rear some ducks/chicken. Water can draw from the stream. Occassionally visit grocery for treat or basic necessities like salt/pepper and sugar. Stress level is low in kampong style living. In Singapore, you earn a dollar but spend 2 dollars because of living cost. No matter how you save, your saving will be depleted by every policies this govt made - increasing these and that.

No wonder many foreigners from big countries like to work here and retire comfortably home. I want to be foreigners and not Singaporean too.

Younger people may have the idealistic notion that retirement is great..free from the burden of work..from from commuting, the stress etc.

I suggest they spend some time at the bigger hawker centres and see the uncles who may not be very old, one leg folded up on the bench, smoking a cigarette, maybe a mug of coffee. They are bored to death. And you seldom see them socializing with other uncles too.

And the Wellness centre is empty; the exercise machines are hardly used, the TV is on but no one is watching. Walk over to the Spore Pools shop and you wil see some of them queuing to spend the precious little they have hoping to strike it rich.

If you have several millions in cash and already have a nice condo, a Mercedes or better, a club membership, etc. then by all means enjoy your early retirement. Even travelling can be boring after sometime. And if you think your bf (if you have one) or your friends are free to accompany you, it is not likely.

Retirement needs active planning from a young age. Left to itself it brings on boredom, many illnesses and maybe an early departure to Upstairs. It is better to be actively engaged in work (it can be part time or be your own consultant or investment manager) than say "I am now retired." Then what?

I suggest they spend some time at the bigger hawker centres and see the uncles who may not be very old, one leg folded up on the bench, smoking a cigarette, maybe a mug of coffee. They are bored to death. And you seldom see them socializing with other uncles too.

This is the problem with Singaporeans.

Firstly, these uncles are not very educated, except immersing themselves in 4D and toto or like, there is nothing intellectual which gets them intellectually or physically occupied. Yes, some may play some chess, and other may womanise, but generally, folks whom did not have a solid foundation in education in their earlier years will end up unoccupied in their twilight years.

Now, do not think that the younger Singaporeans are educated. Many are basically well-trained for the employment market, the education system in Spore and the social conditions do not 'educate' Singaporeans to have a fulfilling hobby and an indepth understanding of how life should be lived after retirement.

Even looking at the youngsters today, some who do not have sufficient academic qualifications, I can almost foresee a dim and lonely post-retirement life for them; when one does not have both education and sufficient savings in the bank. Many would just live by till they die.

Guest Marad44

Apart from those aged who congregate regularly in the familiar neighborhood and get typecast, there are others who have different circles of varying interests and hence evade the public eye. I am 68 and I belong to a few meet-up groups ~ photography, blogging, traveling, concerts, expatriates and plain old chitter-chatter. A few of us travel up to 6 times a year on meekly pension.

For those interested, regardless of age, check this out: http://www.meetup.com/cities/sg/singapore/

Best,

Marad

• 6 months later...
Guest Guest

buy house?

travel frequently?

pamper yourself with everything good and expensive?

pamper old parents?

donate to charity?

look for money boys?

or just keep spending and keep working at the same time?

Guest Guest

buy house?

travel frequently?

pamper old parents?

donate to charity?

look for money boys?

not number 5 since charity here is a scam.

Guest So Witty These Older Gays

not number 5 since charity here is a scam.

such a shame. i dun mean you, i mean the charity here.

Bkk show and massage

LOL! .. and i dun mean to laugh at these remarks sarcastically but they were witty! I like!

:clap: :whistle::thumb: :clap: :twisted: :huh:

When I was younger I used to spend my money like a drunken sailor.

Now I save every spare cent I get to hopefully have enough for a rainy day.

If you are gay, old and you get sick with no money- you are in very big trouble!

It's every man for himself in this world, so make sure you have money tucked away somewhere safe. ;)

buy a house to stay and rental as passive income

travel to and fro out of Singapore...between Malaysia and batam..some say Bangkok or else Vietnam

donate to charity by donor of sperm to hot btm.

now - ensure good health and increase passive income by getting second property outside Singapore - leverage.

spend more time in our national library bcz free wifi and aircon...

spend more time in having a good coffee at seaside.

spend more good time reading/listening to audio.

surf porn without fail

surf tv series to pass time too.

wow... I m happy now..more happy then last time.

but hor....never call myself ...."older gay"...I reborn to enjoy my fruit that I harvest during my hardworking day.

Guest Guest

Pay off the flat asap. travel. invest to earn more.

Sometimes save and save and save also no point. We are going to leave the world with nothing anw. Might as well spend and pamper yourself now.

Sometimes save and save and save also no point. We are going to leave the world with nothing anw. Might as well spend and pamper yourself now.

You must make sure you have enough to retire comfortably.  When you are old, not much energy to work, have no one to rely on, it will be good to have savings.

Guest Guest

Lol cosmetic surgery?

Face or body?

If i have spare cash, maybe can sign up for slimming or toning package so dun have to gym so hard.

buy house?

travel frequently?

pamper old parents?

donate to charity?

look for money boys?

I'd always feel better having some income no matter at what age. There are other major things to think about and prepare for besides the above - namely potential medical expenses and elderly care (for oneself). I'd spend on staying healthy physically and emotionally; so if I enjoy traveling, I'd spend some amount on it, as it also keeps the mind and body healthy.

My priorities are :

Own my own home (achieved)

Save a certain percentage of the income to live reasonably comfortably on retirement, ie not dependent on pension funds (In progress :-))

Pamper myself & BF and my mum, to a certain extent as she is much better off than I am!

Pamper my favourite nieces and nephews

Travel

No need to seek money boy :-) as my bf is my sextoy! (LOL)

Edited by allyremen

• 2 months later...
  • G_M changed the title to Discussion on Retirement For Older Gay + Life @ 50, 68 & Beyond + Retire With No Worries (Compiled)
  • G_M locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic