Male HQ

Scuba Diving (Compiled)

Guest ah fat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, Happy Chinese New Year everyone! I am very new to diving, passed my OWD just nice before COVID 😭 and I have only done a total of 8 dives. 

Was wondering if anyone here has any experience or advice on weekend diving trips to Batam? (I.e leave on friday night and return on Sunday night)

I really wanted to come back to diving again this year, did my refresher last week. But the prices online are abit steep at >460 not incl equipment.

I tried researching how to do this with the dive shop in Batam directly but I only got as far as knowing how to book a friday and sunday night ferry to and fro. 

Most of the hotels/resorts are centered around Batam Center, so I am not sure if the Batam dive shop is able to arrange transport from any hotel down south to pulau galang and then back to the hotel after the dives.

Any advice/experience will be greatly appreciated! 🙏🙏

1 hour ago, Lucien said:

Hi, Happy Chinese New Year everyone! I am very new to diving, passed my OWD just nice before COVID 😭 and I have only done a total of 8 dives. 

Was wondering if anyone here has any experience or advice on weekend diving trips to Batam? (I.e leave on friday night and return on Sunday night)

I really wanted to come back to diving again this year, did my refresher last week. But the prices online are abit steep at >460 not incl equipment.

I tried researching how to do this with the dive shop in Batam directly but I only got as far as knowing how to book a friday and sunday night ferry to and fro. 

Most of the hotels/resorts are centered around Batam Center, so I am not sure if the Batam dive shop is able to arrange transport from any hotel down south to pulau galang and then back to the hotel after the dives.

Any advice/experience will be greatly appreciated! 🙏🙏

For a weekend diving trip, you're better off going to Tioman. Take a Friday evening bus to Mersing (3-4hrs), stay there for one night then take the morning ferry to Tioman. Once you arrive, you can do 1 afternoon dive (and maybe a morning shore dive?) on Saturday then 3 dives (2 morning and 1 afternoon) on Sunday, before taking the ferry back and 5pm bus back to Larkin Terminal. Should reach SG by 8pm unless there's a jam.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah you have 2 options really, Tioman weekend trip or Batam/Bintan.

I did both my OW and AOW with a SG local shop. The Tioman trop was as described above, Friday evening until Sunday evening.
I did my Advance in Bintan, on a boat for the entire weekend (live on board). Here was the itinerary (this was in 2013):

Day 1 (Fri)

1730 Arrive at Singapore Punggol Marina Country Club

1830 Check in to MV Nautica

1900 Dinner

Day 2 (Sat)

0800 Breakfast

0900 1st dive

1200 Lunch

1300 2nd dive

1500 Tea time/ snacks

1600 3rd dive

1800 Light snack

1930 4th dive

2030 BBQ dinner

Day 3 (Sun)

0700 5th dive

0900 Breakfast

1000 6th dive

1200 Lunch

1300 Return to Singapore

2100 Check Out from MV Nautica

2200 Arrive back at Singapore Punggol Marina Country Club

We had to pay an extra $200 for this live onboard thing (on top of the regular AOW certification cost).

Tioman actually had a departure on Thursday evening.... sorry. At least with the dive shop I chose.

Day 1 (Thursday)

11PM Meet at Dive Shop

Depart for Mersing Jetty via coach

Rest stop

Arrive at Mersing Jetty

Depart for Tioman/Dayang via ferry

Day 2 (Friday)

Arrive Dayang/Tioman

Check in Resort

Breakfast & Briefing

1st Dive

Lunch on board

2nd & 3rd Dive

Return to resort

Dinner at resort, Log dives & debrief / Night dive (adv and above)

Night divers dinner

Day 3 (Saturday)

Breakfast & Briefing

4th Dive

Lunch on board

5th & 6th Dive

Return to resort

Dinner at resort, Log dives & debrief / Night dive (adv and above)

Night divers dinner

Day 4 (Sunday)

Breakfast

7th & 8th Dive

Lunch, Log dives & debrief

Check out from resort & depart for Mersing Jetty via ferry

Arrive Mersing Jetty

Depart for Singapore via coach

Arrive @ Singapore 9-10PM depending on trafic

Edited by Enelym1978

Hi both! Thanks for the advice! 

I didn't know Larkin Bus to Mersing instead of direct from SG was so much cheaper until I went to search after reading above^.  

Tioman would have been the preferable choice given the prices of dives when going direct to the dive shops/dive resorts. However I was realised Jan to Feb still tail-end of the Northeast Monsoon, what with the flooding situation over on the peninsula. Might be better to wait until March for Tioman. 

Meanwhile for Feb, Batam/Bintan seems to be less affected by the Monsoon rains, but the price per dive seems to be less ideal about 75plus SGD per dive while Tioman is around 40 to 50? Think because Batam/Tioman limited dive centres so they have abit of a monopoly, also for Batam logistics more complicated and ex (need land transport and sampan transport to the dive sites far south. 

From above, LOB seems like the more time/travel-efficient option, but additional 200 dollars and my partner dont like the idea of living onboard a boat so more unlikely to do so, haha.. (maybe next time if im traveling alone.)

Current job hard to take overseas leave on weekdays thats why making it abit troublesome for myself to plan also, being limited to Fri night to Sun night.

The Batam itinery I was offered goes:

0700 - Pick up from hotel in Batam Centre

0815 - Reach Barelang 6 Bridge jetty for sampan transfer

0930 - Dive 1

1100 - Beach for lunch/surface interval

1230 - Dive 2

1400 - sampan Back to Jetty

1515 - land transfer back to Batam Centre 

1615 - reach Batam Centre free-and-easy.

*Quoted roughly 1,700,000 Rp, so roughly 143sgd, 2 dives

Ferry ticket two-way - 73sgd,

Hotel two nights - 70sgd

Food (2 × brkfast, 2 x dinner) - 50sgd

Misc - 50sgd

Total about 386sgd 

Not very value for 2 dives, but at least its sub 400 for a weekend 😂

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...