Male HQ

Scuba Diving (Compiled)

Guest ah fat

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

was wondering if anyone been to Moalboal, the Philippines? Any dive spot or shop to recommend? 

Thanks!

I've been to Moalboal. We drove with my ex from Cebu to Moalboal and stayed at the Asian Belgian Dive Resort in Moalboal. It's right off the sea, it's small but clean and the owners are an old couple from Belgium with their son and local staff.

It was good and nice. You can dive off the "house reef" as well or follow them on the boat. 

I've been to Moalboal. We drove with my ex from Cebu to Moalboal and stayed at the Asian Belgian Dive Resort in Moalboal. It's right off the sea, it's small but clean and the owners are an old couple from Belgium with their son and local staff.

It was good and nice. You can dive off the "house reef" as well or follow them on the boat. 

I have settled on the accommodation part. I am just looking around for dive sites or shops around the island. 

But thanks for the input! (;

I have settled on the accommodation part. I am just looking around for dive sites or shops around the island. 

But thanks for the input! (;

Will you be staying in the village? Otherwise I can only advise to stay with a resort that has a diving centre as well. Check on www.pad.com to see what shops are listed there, safer :)

• 1 month later...

Looking at a week in the UAE in July if someone is interested? Fly into Dubai then 2h road transfer to Fujairah because diving around Dubai is not nice. So heading to the east coast toward Oman.

Saving a day or two to explore Dubai.

Looking at Le Méridien Al Aqah as they have a 5* PADI center within the hotel which has good reviews. Hotel is around 500 AED a night to be shared.

Need to look at liveaboard options if cheaper :)

Just throwing a stone in the water for now. I'm just nitrox deprived :P

Hey was wondering, does GoPro4 silver (diving edition) produce good quality pictures underwater ?

Thinking of buying one with the color correction lens.

I have the GoPro3 Black and I don't recommend it for pictures. It's great for videos but requires some editing post diving. And a red filter as it doesn't have a manual white balance.

I use the GoPro mainly for videos and my Canon S120 for photos. Much nicer and you can see what you're shooting. With the GoPro you will need to add the LCD screen and your cam won't even last an entire 50min dive trust me.

What do you mean by "diving edition" anyway? They all come with the water proof case. Or did they add some accessories?

Edited by Enelym1978

I have the GoPro3 Black and I don't recommend it for pictures. It's great for videos but requires some editing post diving. And a red filter as it doesn't have a manual white balance.

I use the GoPro mainly for videos and my Canon S120 for photos. Much nicer and you can see what you're shooting. With the GoPro you will need to add the LCD screen and your cam won't even last an entire 50min dive trust me.

What do you mean by "diving edition" anyway? They all come with the water proof case. Or did they add some accessories?

sorry, i mean surf edition...

If i'm not wrong, GoPro 4 silver had a touchscreen...

Edited by ThePineapple

approval.png.5049b8bf793949ee27c5a7e76f11054d.png

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know where can i find dive shop that allow ppl to "try" diving in pool? 

*what i mean is not taking course but just want to stay under water as my friend is scared of water yet wish to dive*

i think you'll need to speak to the dive shops, coz even to try would require the full gear and basic understanding of theories...comes at cost

"fit in a few leisure dive" when you're back "in Singapore" in march u said?  lol

Wow, interesting posts and great pics on this thread. guess I will have to fit a few days of leisure dive when I go back to spore for my holiday in March. Happy bubbles ^^

"fit in a few leisure dive" when you're back "in Singapore" in march u said?  lol

I think he means Pulau Hantu. You can actually dive in SG, without crossing borders, flying or taking long hours bus rides. :) I did check the Pulau Hantu dives but they stop them soon as the North East monsoon has passed....  :( too bad.

Oh and I think I am dropping UAE in July, going for Oman instead to try and catch some bull sharks, rays and whale sharks. Still open for anyone interested :)

10 dives over 5 days is around 450 SGD ;) not inclusive of dive equipment, except the dive belt, weights and tanks (free Nitrox).

Edited by Enelym1978

I think he means Pulau Hantu. You can actually dive in SG, without crossing borders, flying or taking long hours bus rides. :) I did check the Pulau Hantu dives but they stop them soon as the North East monsoon has passed....   :( too bad.

yah, that's what i thought, but still, in terms of visibility and variety, wouldn't it make more sense to dive else where before coming back here to dive? :P  or does Pulau Hantu offer decent dives and i've been wronging her? lol

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys

I will be heading to Lombok.which is a better option: staying at gili T or senggigi?

Either way i will be diving at gili tho. Just cant decide where to base.

Thanks!

since you've already confirmed the dive sites, i guess this link would be sufficiently relevant to help you decide?

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g297733-i9237-k6826338-Lombok_Senggigi_or_Gili_Island-Lombok_West_Nusa_Tenggara.html

since you've already confirmed the dive sites, i guess this link would be sufficiently relevant to help you decide?

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g297733-i9237-k6826338-Lombok_Senggigi_or_Gili_Island-Lombok_West_Nusa_Tenggara.html

It was relevant but I had already seen that post tho. Thanks nonetheless, youngpunk! Decided to base in Senggigi anw, 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

dive reports pls! :)

Sure! But please pardon my descriptions or lack thereof. 

I went to 6 dive sites (Halik Reef, Meno wall, Bounty wreck, Hans Reef, Hidden Reef and Turtle Heaven) around the three gilis (Air, Meno and Trawangan). Visibility was great throughout my 6 dives (I don't know how to gauge by metres,sorry!), i thought.

Unfortunately, I thought that most of the corals and reefs were relatively in bad shape, as compared to what I have seen elsewhere. It was sorta like watching a black and white TV, only the fishes and those other marine animals that made it a little more colorful. I was actually quite surprised to see those sorta corals and reefs (or, maybe its just those dive sites, not sure). I did ask the guide; he only said, as to what I could recall, that those corals and reefs are "new and growing".

For the stuff that can be seen there, turtles like everywhere, humongous tuna and grouper, frog fish, lobster, moray eels, nudibranchs among others.  

Apart from that, I guess, there are only 2 dive sites worth mentioning. Hidden Reef and Bounty Wreck. Hidden Reef had the strongest current among the 6 dive sites. While its good, but sometimes I feel that it would have been more awesome if the current was a little less stronger so as to allow you to look around for a bit rather that just passing by, if you get what i mean. I was told that Hidden Reef was relatively a new dive sites discovered. Not been visited by many mainly due to the strong current. Bounty wreck was just 10-15m down under. It was actually a ship docked over at a hotel which was abandoned and left to sink in 2005/2006. Personally, this was the most interesting part of my dive trip, The reason being is that, our guide led us inside the wreck and we came up to this part of the ship that we could literally stand and take off our regulator and breathe uncompressed air, underwater. It was uber cool. It could be due to the small gap (I still could not figure out, how could there even be a gap trapped by air, underwater).

That's it, i guess? 

Sure! But please pardon my descriptions or lack thereof. 

I went to 6 dive sites (Halik Reef, Meno wall, Bounty wreck, Hans Reef, Hidden Reef and Turtle Heaven) around the three gilis (Air, Meno and Trawangan). Visibility was great throughout my 6 dives (I don't know how to gauge by metres,sorry!), i thought.

Unfortunately, I thought that most of the corals and reefs were relatively in bad shape, as compared to what I have seen elsewhere. It was sorta like watching a black and white TV, only the fishes and those other marine animals that made it a little more colorful. I was actually quite surprised to see those sorta corals and reefs (or, maybe its just those dive sites, not sure). I did ask the guide; he only said, as to what I could recall, that those corals and reefs are "new and growing".

For the stuff that can be seen there, turtles like everywhere, humongous tuna and grouper, frog fish, lobster, moray eels, nudibranchs among others.  

Apart from that, I guess, there are only 2 dive sites worth mentioning. Hidden Reef and Bounty Wreck. Hidden Reef had the strongest current among the 6 dive sites. While its good, but sometimes I feel that it would have been more awesome if the current was a little less stronger so as to allow you to look around for a bit rather that just passing by, if you get what i mean. I was told that Hidden Reef was relatively a new dive sites discovered. Not been visited by many mainly due to the strong current. Bounty wreck was just 10-15m down under. It was actually a ship docked over at a hotel which was abandoned and left to sink in 2005/2006. Personally, this was the most interesting part of my dive trip, The reason being is that, our guide led us inside the wreck and we came up to this part of the ship that we could literally stand and take off our regulator and breathe uncompressed air, underwater. It was uber cool. It could be due to the small gap (I still could not figure out, how could there even be a gap trapped by air, underwater).

That's it, i guess? 

cool, thanks for the report!  :)

not sure about the area but the colors of the coral are not always indication of health...ie. they're not necessarily in a "bad" state, prob just a different state. :)

strong currents are kinda like sushi conveyor belt to me. you poke yourself and remain stationary while the different fishes get flown your way. haha

anyway, sounded like a decent trip!  :thumb:

• 1 month later...

Ok so I just came back from a week of LOB in Egypt diving in the Red Sea. Amazing corals and colourful fishes but I prefer muck diving in Indonesia or the Philippines :)

My very first video made on iMovie... (Get some popcorn. It's 15min long)

Edited by Enelym1978

Ok so I just came back from a week of LOB in Egypt diving in the Red Sea. Amazing corals and colourful fishes but I prefer muck diving in Indonesia or the Philippines :)

My very first video made on iMovie... (Get some popcorn. It's 15min long)

awesome!  nice visibility and diversity!  great pre-sleep video!  wow to the conditions of the corals too~ :) :) :)

Yes my group only saw one.... well two but I was too slow to shoot it haha.

The other group who came in the same spot just 15minutes after us saw a school of 18 hammerheads.... so jealous

We also saw one thresher and one whaleshark. The whale shark was a huge surprise. We just did our back flip into the water from the zodiac and the first thing we saw was the whale shark!  :)

It was shot with a Canon S120 except for the long scene near the end where I show all the divers from my group. That was shot with my GoPro 3 Black.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys may I ask, how strict is the swimming assessment? My open water pool session is on this Weds Thurs, and I'm not really a good swimmer. I get tired and out of breath easily.

not that strict but do practice more anyway, it's for your own safety anyway.  once you're out i the open sea, you would need to be sufficiently strong to fight currents.

Hi guys may I ask, how strict is the swimming assessment? My open water pool session is on this Weds Thurs, and I'm not really a good swimmer. I get tired and out of breath easily.

I remember 8 laps around the pool... after the practical lesson

approval.png.5049b8bf793949ee27c5a7e76f11054d.png

I remember 8 laps around the pool... after the practical lesson

Same here. We had to do 200m without rest. Meaning you can take all the time you want but you need to be able swim the 200m. Lots of dive shops will say "you don't need to know how to swim" but for your own safety, knowing at least how to stay afloat and swim a few hundred meters can make your life much easier.