Male HQ

What's Wrong With Richard Gere?

Have you watched the newsclip on tonight's news where Richard Gere (once my idolized actor for his look) was practically all over that Indian actress Shipa like a 老色狼. Is this the same man who helped that poor Indian girl by buying many

birds and releasing them to bring good luck to her brother (yes, its an ad but that's the Richard Gere I like). According to a report:

Hollywood actor Richard Gere has sparked strong protests in India after kissing 'Celebrity Big Brother' star Shilpa Shetty repeatedly at an AIDS awareness launch.

Gere joined Shetty to promote a safe sex campaign aimed at truckers in India, the country with the world's largest number of people living with HIV.

While at the event Gere roared the words "No condom, no sex" in Hindi to thousands of truckers, who screamed the words back to him.

Gere then kissed actress Shetty on the hand and a number of times on the side of her face.

I think Shetty looked really embarrassed. Richard should be kissing me instead. Maybe that's why I'm pissed. :D BTW, has anyone seen American Gigolo?

I heard that Richard Gere is a devoted Buddhist and I was told that he goes to India annually and meditates besides the Bodhi tree once visited by Buddha???  :ph34r:

Yeah, you are right, he is a Buddhist and follower of Dalai Lama and some years ago he was said to be gay too.

This is an extract of his personal life in Wiki:

Gere was married to supermodel Cindy Crawford from 1991 to 1995. During their marriage, there were numerous rumors in the press that both partners were gay, and that the marriage was a coverup. Both Gere and Crawford denied the rumors. He married actress Carey Lowell in 2002, after dating her for several years. They have a son, Homer James Jigme Gere, who was born in 2000, and is named after Gere's father. They live in Pound Ridge, New York.

Gere is a well-known Buddhist and an active supporter of the Dalai Lama. He has also been a persistent advocate for better human rights in Tibet; he was a co-founder of the Tibet House and served on the Board of Directors for the International Campaign for Tibet. He also campaigns for ecological causes and AIDS awareness, and has expressed his concern for AIDS problems in India. Because he strongly supports the Tibetan Independence Movement, he is permanently banned from entering China.

a good oral sex makes your day, a good anal sex makes your "hole weak"

• 2 weeks later...

The latest about that over-enthusiatic kissing incident.

"An Indian court has issued a warrant for Gere's arrest in response to a complaint that the actor committed an "obscene act" by daring to smooch Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty at a public event earlier this month.

Devout Hindu groups were outraged by the act, which they saw as an insult to Indian culture and an affront to Shetty's modesty. Posters of both Gere and Shetty were burned in effigy in several major cities.

In addition to issuing the warrant for Gere's arrest, the judge ordered Shetty to appear in his Jaipur court on May 5 to explain why she did not resist the actor's advances.

Gere left India shortly after the incident and it is unclear how the warrant will affect him. The actor, a devout Buddhist, is a frequent visitor to the country, where he promotes the Tibetan cause and often meets with the Dalai Lama, who lives in exile in northern India.

If Gere is found guilty of public obscenity, he could face up to three months in prison, a fine or both" Dont think Richard Gere is visiting India anytime soon.

GM, have u seen the footage?

for once i dont think they over-react on this, Gere was clearly trying his luck, shetty was avoiding him till her body arc to a certain angle. His hand was wrapped around her waist. that accounted as molesting in most countries, even his own.

I dont think Gere will do it in Hollywood, let alone a much more conservative (rem brides being burned due to not enough dowry?) India.

every country has its restriction, travellers should respect that. can you imagine if Gere goes to thailand and touched the King's head?

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

hmmmm... Gachi....

what if someone do something that is totally in different ideal of yours? I don't know your like and dislike and how strong they would be.

You need to be in that culture, born into the system, to really understand them.

A simple analogy... A true straight man who is homophobic, if someone of same sex, would to kiss him, would you think it will leads to violent, lawsuit?

of cause, there are also the thing call "tolerance level" and "ways of expression"...

Some people can tolerate the strong beat of the music is disco, why cannot tolerate the slightest tile rattering of mahjong just 2 doors away.

Some people choose to express anger, by being polite rebuking, some make videos prior to mass killing in some college (no dis-respect intended)...

I too, for one, totally amused by by the country people's reaction over Gere kissing that lady, for it had gone too deep and wide. But I do also question Gere's action as to is there a need for that exhibition of "friendliness".

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

Another actor in the spotlight for the wrong reason. Hugh Grant 'was arrested following a police report in which a photographer accused the star of throwing a tub of baked beans and hurling abuse at him.'

The 'victim' said "I asked him if he would give me a smile. But he must be having a bad day because he started chasing me down the street". The star allegedly kicked him three times and keed him near the groin. Ouch. :clap:

Well..

The photographer accused... maybe not true mah

Anyway celebrities are always at the bad end of the stick de.

Everybody can accused them or misinterpret what they say.

Regarding Richard Gere , the Shilpa Shetty did say it's ok right. (i cant rmb what she say) :X

GM, have u seen the footage?

for once i dont think they over-react on this, Gere was clearly trying his luck, shetty was avoiding him till her body arc to a certain angle. His hand was wrapped around her waist. that accounted as molesting in most countries, even his own.

I dont think Gere will do it in Hollywood, let alone a much more conservative (rem brides being burned due to not enough dowry?) India.

every country has its restriction, travellers should respect that. can you imagine if Gere goes to thailand and touched the King's head?

You might see it in Youtube :blink:

a good oral sex makes your day, a good anal sex makes your "hole weak"

Richard Gere offered a 'sincere apology' on Firday for any offence he cause. 'It has never been, nor could it ever be, my intention to offend you.' said Mr Gere. 'This recent media storm has taken me by surprise. What we thought was a successful event has taken a sad turn.'

Meanwhile several Indian lawyers have voiced outrage over the warrant and said that the courts 'should not behave like the Taliban moral police.'. AFP

I really think its a sad case of cultural misunderstanding. What is deemed appropriate in their own country may be grossly offensive to others in the local context. After the storm subsides, I must applause Richard Gere (and Sharon Stone) for doing so much to promote Aids awareness around the world.

Guest Guest

I think they overreacting if you looked properly Richard only kiss on the cheek (just a peck on her cheek)not even a mouth to mouth kiss.He did not humiliate her dignity

It doesn't even look as if he was caught up in the moment of things on stage. Looks more to me like Gere is overcompensating for his closet gay self.

I think they overreacting if you looked properly Richard only kiss on the cheek (just a peck on her cheek)not even a mouth to mouth kiss.He did not humiliate her dignity

Dear dear me, let's not think the world revolves around the standards of behaviour as determined by Richard Gere and his ilk in the US and other Western countries. What is acceptable in the West such as openly kissing is frequently taboo in many other countries, which prefer such things to be done in private. There isn't a good or a bad, just different sets of mores and social etiquette rules. There is no such thing as one rule fits all. Don't let the West dictate how we should behave. When the time comes for non-Western cultures to accept kissing in open areas, I am sure they will do it at their own volition, time and pace.

Just because Singapore happens to be more cosmopolitan and modern than many of our Asian neighbours doesn't mean we are necessarily more enlightened in the Western sense. A case in point, gay sexual acts are technically still a crime here. And it has to take the powerful MM to come out to say that homosexuality is not an abberation but a genetic variation to stun many otherwise noisy anti-gay quarters on our very First-World shores.

So let's not judge what the Indians think about Richard Gere mauling their beautiful actress Shetty on stage for the whole world to see. If they find it insulting it's by their accepted standard of behaviour. In short, when in Rome do as the Romans do or even don't do.

"Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok"

• Guest locked this topic