Male HQ

For Those People Who Have Been Pangseh-Ed During Meet Ups + Our Mia Syndrome - Can You Help Me Understand? (compiled)

Silveriot

Thanks a lot , girl.

So, I was not too far from the thread with my little story of my bf not showing at our 1st appointment...

Today, we both laugh at this memory...

He did pangseh you in a nice, acceptable and ok way not exactly what ts meant by setting up this thread.....

when getting married? think france should allow gay marriage...

Edited by GIRL

He did pangseh you in a nice, acceptable and ok way not exactly what ts meant by setting up this thread.....

when getting married? think france should allow gay marriage...

France allows "pacs", a sort of official contract not far from wedding.

But...our personal situation is complicated...

I'm appalled that such things do happen. As for me, even if I'd met those whom I'm not out to, I still bother to hang out with them and make friends; in fact, I'd made a few good friends. I haven't been pang sae-ed before, thankfully, and I can't imagine that ever happening. But a pretty good friend of mine (thanks to BW actually but we're no longer in frequent contact) did stand quite a few people up, but not without good reason. It's really not me in case you think it's just a matter of "saying it's my friend but it's actually me". First there are people who lie about their race, and can shamelessly and blatantly insist otherwise even after meeting. Second there are those who look totally different from their pictures. Third there are those who are truly weird in which case he politely excused himself and carried on with his business after a short chat.

Yes, he's gorgeous, probably the best looking person you could hope to meet online, so if he doesn't have these "defense mechanisms" he'd have a lot on his plate without considering the further helpings from his stalkers and admirers. But he didn't pang sae the first two groups of people without good reason did he? If it were me, I'd still say hi and chat awhile though. I guess these are a part and parcel of meeting people online. The circumstances are too varied and complex for anybody to indubitably censure those who stand others up, vice versa.

Oh but one valuable advice I'd like to share after having so many experiences of meeting people (I wish I hadn't now): don't meet in town unless it's your 2nd meeting or if you're really sure this guy is "up to scratch", for fear of sounding haughty or what (you know what I mean la ok). There are innumerable ways your meeting/date could go wrong, especially if it's in town.

Ok first if the person is truly awkward for you to be with - I'm not talking about the first-meeting awkwardness duh, I'm referring to the weird-insinuations funny-comments wacky behaviour that you may get - you can imagine how being in town would exacerbate that. And hell worse, if you chance upon a friend or two (come on you're more than 70% bound to be; it's town!!) or someone who knows you, you're so going to wish you'd sink right through the ground and never appear on the face of the Earth again.

Worse, if the person is some horny bastard who's totally unafraid of "exposure" or exhibiting his uncontrollable homosexual attraction impulses towards a totally not-horny unsuspecting innocent you, this time you'd probably wish Harry Potter were (don't you dare correct my SVA; it's the subjunctive mood; and don't bother if you don't get it and sorry for the jargon) real and you had the time-turner with you. Or better, a wand so that you could avada kadavra or memory-obliviate every living soul who'd witnessed your mortification and, of course perform the cruciatus(spelling?) curse on your predator.

I'd skip the intervening gradations of horror (as you can tell it's ascending) and expound on the worst of it all: your EX or CRUSH seeing you with this guy. No words no matter how apt could elucidate the utter devastation that would result (ok I'm a bit neurotic; just kidding la). So guys, food for thought: if you could see the future and you're about to meet a guy like the examples aforementioned, would you PS him or meet him anyway, let's just say knowing that he would not take no for an answer let alone let you wriggle out of this with any excuse?

Ok whatever I know I'm off-topic, but please do yourselves a favour, DO NOT MEET IN TOWN! Meeting somewhere much less hip and quiet could mollify all of the above horrors very much.

Edited by Bry

I'm appalled that such things do happen. As for me, even if I'd met those whom I'm not out to, I still bother to hang out with them and make friends; in fact, I'd made a few good friends. I haven't been pang sae-ed before, thankfully, and I can't imagine that ever happening. But a pretty good friend of mine (thanks to BW actually but we're no longer in frequent contact) did stand quite a few people up, but not without good reason. It's really not me in case you think it's just a matter of "saying it's my friend but it's actually me". First there are people who lie about their race, and can shamelessly and blatantly insist otherwise even after meeting. Second there are those who look totally different from their pictures. Third there are those who are truly weird in which case he politely excused himself and carried on with his business after a short chat.

Yes, he's gorgeous, probably the best looking person you could hope to meet online, so if he doesn't have these "defense mechanisms" he'd have a lot on his plate without considering the further helpings from his stalkers and admirers. But he didn't pang sae the first two groups of people without good reason did he? If it were me, I'd still say hi and chat awhile though. I guess these are a part and parcel of meeting people online. The circumstances are too varied and complex for anybody to indubitably censure those who stand others up, vice versa.

Race wise,

That one is tricky...

Some people do not look like their race, but they are their race...

for eg, some malays look chinese vice versa...

Some malays look indian or eurasian... some even look latino vice versa

Race wise,

That one is tricky...

Some people do not look like their race, but they are their race...

for eg, some malays look chinese vice versa...

Some malays look indian or eurasian... some even look latino vice versa

I do understand that. Naturally I'd mean those who pretend of be of another race (I shan't specify that one race people pretend to be of in case nincompoops flame me for being racist, but nonetheless that doesn't make it any less true) and outrightly deceive others. It doesn't take someone of more than average intelligence to tell that a *ahem* Chinese is posing as an Indian(Sarcasm and ludicrosity aside, now you take in the truth of my previous hint).

Edited by Bry

I do understand that. Naturally I'd mean those who pretend of be of another race (I shan't specify that one race people pretend to be of in case nincompoops flame me for being racist, but nonetheless that doesn't make it any less true) and outrightly deceive others. It doesn't take someone of more than average intelligence to tell that a *ahem* Chinese is posing as an Indian(Sarcasm and ludicrosity aside, now you take in the truth of my previous hint).

erm that guy xia lan lor....

I have one or two friends who does this. From what I heard, what they'd usually do is, they'll agree on a meeting place, like lets say, for an example, level 1 on abc mall. Then they'd be standing on level 2 looking down to have a look. If they think that the person is as appealing as their photos, they'd meet up with them, if not they'll usually just come out with excuses or go mia. @@;

Personally (and luckily) I have never encountered such an incident. Neither have I ever thought of doing such a thing. It's weird right? I mean no matter how different they look from their picture etc etc, I feel that we should not just like shrug them off and pang seh them. I mean c'mon lah, you're here to meet a friend right? What for pang seh them just because they look different etc. Oh unless you choose your friends by their looks or you have ulterior motives, if not I don't see a reason why people can do this. (Lets just leave the situation of people meeting each another for 'fun' aside kk, that's a whole different case by itself.)

Oh but one valuable advice I'd like to share after having so many experiences of meeting people (I wish I hadn't now): don't meet in town unless it's your 2nd meeting or if you're really sure this guy is "up to scratch", for fear of sounding haughty or what (you know what I mean la ok). There are innumerable ways your meeting/date could go wrong, especially if it's in town.

Ok first if the person is truly awkward for you to be with - I'm not talking about the first-meeting awkwardness duh, I'm referring to the weird-insinuations funny-comments wacky behaviour that you may get - you can imagine how being in town would exacerbate that. And hell worse, if you chance upon a friend or two (come on you're more than 70% bound to be; it's town!!) or someone who knows you, you're so going to wish you'd sink right through the ground and never appear on the face of the Earth again.

Worse, if the person is some horny bastard who's totally unafraid of "exposure" or exhibiting his uncontrollable homosexual attraction impulses towards a totally not-horny unsuspecting innocent you, this time you'd probably wish Harry Potter were (don't you dare correct my SVA; it's the subjunctive mood; and don't bother if you don't get it and sorry for the jargon) real and you had the time-turner with you. Or better, a wand so that you could avada kadavra or memory-obliviate every living soul who'd witnessed your mortification and, of course perform the cruciatus(spelling?) curse on your predator.

I'd skip the intervening gradations of horror (as you can tell it's ascending) and expound on the worst of it all: your EX or CRUSH seeing you with this guy. No words no matter how apt could elucidate the utter devastation that would result (ok I'm a bit neurotic; just kidding la). So guys, food for thought: if you could see the future and you're about to meet a guy like the examples aforementioned, would you PS him or meet him anyway, let's just say knowing that he would not take no for an answer let alone let you wriggle out of this with any excuse?

Ok whatever I know I'm off-topic, but please do yourselves a favour, DO NOT MEET IN TOWN! Meeting somewhere much less hip and quiet could mollify all of the above horrors very much.

Idk leh, if someone openly do anything to me, I'd tell them that I feel uncomfortable and I will request that they stop. If they insist, then I'd walk off. I mean it should be fair to them too lah, cause if I'm not wrong, there are certain people who have a particular stereotypical view on ajs. They believe that the ajs are like them (or most who they met are), so they assume that you'd be interested. It's either you are too dense to take any hint or they are really just trying to fool around. But yea either way, if he doesn't stop after a warning, I think it's appropriate to just walk away. I mean c'mon lah, would a friend do something like that to you? If someone is interested to have a relationship with you, would he 'risk it'? (Just a thought.)

I actually don't have any issues in hanging out with any flamboyant aj friend. Unless you are guilty conscious, I don't think you should be afraid of a friend seeing both of you together. Straight friends have gay friends too, what's wrong with that? That doesn't 'expose' you (if you are straight acting). Even if it does, does it mean that being gay is wrong? Yes it is not accepted by the majority of SG, because they don't understand it, they refuse to and there's many issues especially if you've not come out to your family members..but yeah that aside, assuming one of my friend sees me with this particular aj guy who is damn flamboyant and they tease me with it, I'd hurl them a question in their face, 'you're homophobic?' Then I'd just leave it as it is. If any rumor spreads or anything, then I'd just deal with the people who are concern enough to talk to me about it. (Just tell them hanging out with a friend who is different is wrong meh!?!!)

Actually right, I was in a CCA in my poly lah then apparently there's a lot of politics and bullshit going on in my CCA, especially in the main committee. I was a new member of the main committees so like there were many things that I was unaware of. But yeah, there were certain individuals who dislike me, and they love to bitch about it. The rumor was so bad that almost everyone in my CCA got to know about them and none of them dared confront me about it. Like they always do, bitch and gossip, pitiful dogs. Anyhow, my ex-president, probably a butch, decided to act smart like she always does and brag about things, and coincidentally I was brought up in their subject. (Her friend she was talking to belongs to SP, I'm studying in NP)

So yeah, rumors started spreading from there, heck, I don't even know why it continues spreading, and am I really that interesting? But yeah, eventually it fell into the ears of my older brother's gf, and she confronted my brother about it. Well, (my brother already knows about me, that'll be a whole long story for another day) he confronted me on the rumors and one of it was it I openly tell people of my sexual orientation. Which obviously I did not, and the rumors probably speculated and got worst. Kk, I think I've said too much nonsense LOL, back to topic.

What I'm trying to say is that, "those who care, won't matter, those who matter, won't care." Haha, sry for spamming!

Edited by kaze

You can complain that roses have thorns, or you can also rejoice that thorns have roses

Haven't been pang seh-ed, or pang seh-ed anyone before.

Although there was once I thought things are kinda working out after the first meeting, and then the guy never reply again. Still wondering what went wrong, well, guess I'm just not his type. Doesn't matter anyway, 'cause I've found a better person (met in town, btw.... so let's not count out town kay ^^)

I try to meet people with no predetermined expectation on how our status will subsequently grow, so I have no problem showing up to people who are not my type. Maybe we can connect well and be great friends! The only things that upset me are dishonest people who use misleading pictures or background information to get you interested.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

I can imagine the immense pain and distress one would face, especially an experience such as Magicerife's. I wouldn't know how to handle it if guys are so cruel to me, too. Just wanna die there and then and end it all :(

azorius no guy will be cruel or do the same thing to me on u , cos u are perfect ,and guy will come to u ,

NOTE: for those people guilty of pulling the above stunts and behavior. fck you and _|_ and here's a pretty finger which i spent effort to type out and i hope that you have enough money to go to the nearest supermarket and buy the largest cucumber that you can find to fck yourself with.

My sentiments exactly.

• 3 months later...

Can you help me understand?...

I've been chatting with someone potential on Whatsapp for almost 3wks on a daily basis after knowing each other from Grindr. As both of us are seeking LTR, our conversation has been going on well and has taken us to a point where we should meet up. (Yeah! As it's hard even to reach this stage, most of us got discarded along the way).

Whenever weekends approach, I would suggest to meet and sometimes on weekdays evenings but always got turned down as he is forever putting all his other commitments before me. Something is telling me it doesn't feel right esp. for someone who claims that he is seriously seeking LTR. By the way, his school is very near to my house. We can easily meet up for meals/drinks before or after his classes.

As much as I would like to continue courting him, the lessons that I've learnt in the past remind me that it's time to just move on without him and I did that.

Past Lessons Learnt:

This recent disappointing chapter of my life brings back memories of the past incidences of people going MIA for no reasons my close aj friends and I had before. For some reasons, people in our circle can really conveniently ignore you or disappear for no apparent reasons during the chatting stage even though the conversation is going fine.

Is it a normal social behavior in the virtual world (but I don't encounter the same issue with my straight acquaintances) or is it the superficial nature of us?

I ever discussed with my friends and we came up with a few conclusions:

Fren A (Just out of closet):
If he don't even bother to reply you implies that you are totally not his type.

Fren B (Freshman; 1-2yrs in the circle):
Stop chatting after showing your pictures to him. (In my case, he saw my photos, including XXX ones. lol... so cannot be this reason.)

Fren C (Veteran; 3 < x <5yrs in the circle):
He might be bored at that point of time so chat with you to kill time.

Fren D (Pro; > 5yrs in the circle):
It could be something that you've said or something that the person wants you to say but you fail to do so.

Fren E (Super Jaded; lost count):
Time and time has proven to me not to waste too much time too on them. Have a cut-off time. Either they are not ready, don't know what they really want or trying to play hard to get.

I agreed with all of them but I still can't understand why for cases with the conversation going strong, everything can just come to a halt just like that. My dreams are dashed and my heart is broken again and again.

These days, I treasure every reply because you never know when is the next reply coming back or will it ever come.
The beginning is always the sweetest... (A jaded Novice; me)

Share your thoughts and solutions too if you have already attained enlightenment.

(NB: The longer the no. of years you survive in the circle, the deeper the insights.)

Edited by kidster

I always believe that if is fated is fated. So, if someone has to go, no matter how much u don bear to let go, you just have to let go. Only those truthful willing parties will stay. Its just like your daily normal friendships. Those who can understand you will stay and support you whom eventually might become your best friends. Those who cant, they just leave you. So, don take it too hard with regard to this issue. Cheer up. *pats*

Guest SecretiveGuest

i guess everyone is exploring, they might got into it by means of guts/ without themself realizing, and now when you wanted to physically meet them, they might chickened out or nervous, thus cut off further communication. almost happen to me once, lol, i almost gave up and scolding him in my minds and after a few hours he called me and said he had arrived. ^_^

It is all about looks.

If you don't look as good as the other party then you have to do the chasing. You need to be able to hold a conversation well.

I find that most gays are very shallow and boring to talk to. But sometimes I give them chance by being the one to lead a conversation. Still they are monotonous in their replies.

That's when I will ignore them the next time. They keep messaging me and wondering why. I don't bother to explain anymore.

hahaha wad friend A B C D E. they go mia halfway simply becos they feel that they cant continue any further. i know becos i feel that way often. there is "something" inside me that tells me to stop going any further. hmmm.... maybe it's only me... i seriously dont think that they went missing becos of some superficial reasons.

I have to say i'm guilty of becoming MIA myself

And my reasons for that would be what 2 of your friends mentioned:

Fren C (Veteran; 3 < x <5yrs in the circle):

He might be bored at that point of time so chat with you to kill time.

[i do quick chats online last time when IM BORED, with no intention of sex/meetup. Even for those who hit it off really well with me, it disappoints them when I say I do not want to meet up in person to make friends.Now when I do chat I kinda specify that I do not meet up lest they waste their time. And I place all my current friends and acquaintances before people I chat online with of course, especially when people I chat online with don't even know how I look like]

Fren E (Super Jaded; lost count):

Time and time has proven to me not to waste too much time too on them. Have a cut-off time. Either they are not ready, don't know what they really want or trying to play hard to get. (i don't play hard to get. at least i think. xD)

[i am not ready, and i don't know what I really want either. this is very true, he's indeed very jaded. haha.]

I usually decline all meetups, except for two, whom I met and realize we don't really hit off so well actually. It really takes effort from both side, but sometimes trying too hard is tiring. Sometimes I message a person and he takes ages to respond, and i will take ages to respond as well since he's so inactive.

And topics.. I realize there are very few topics i can begin a conversation with a gay. I have no idea why. Technology and weather and food don't exactly excites me (I think im a realllllyyy boring person. sorry bout that) but it's my own fault too since i seldom reveal much information abt myself to keep the convo going XD

If he's seeking serious LTR but not making the commitment to meet you up, i guess he's really not that interested.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all"

It is all about looks.

If you don't look as good as the other party then you have to do the chasing. You need to be able to hold a conversation well.

I find that most gays are very shallow and boring to talk to. But sometimes I give them chance by being the one to lead a conversation. Still they are monotonous in their replies.

That's when I will ignore them the next time. They keep messaging me and wondering why. I don't bother to explain anymore.

Is this a typical Singaporean behavior?

Anyway, I vote your post as the best reply so far. :)

It is all about looks.

Many of them like the feelings of being chased.

I can't disagree that it feels good to feel wanted but a courtship takes two hands to clap.

There are many that I've seen are so passive (note: not referring to btm or sissy) in behavior until can go knock walls.

Sometimes I wonder if they are really guys? Are they playing hard to get or really passive in character?

At this moment, Fren F appeared and made a wise remark "No one is passive. If you are really his type, he will take the initiative to chase you instead."

I'm enlightened again...

I always believe that if is fated is fated. So, if someone has to go, no matter how much u don bear to let go, you just have to let go. Only those truthful willing parties will stay. Its just like your daily normal friendships. Those who can understand you will stay and support you whom eventually might become your best friends. Those who cant, they just leave you. So, don take it too hard with regard to this issue. Cheer up. *pats*

I used to think the same. Feel like everything is fated or just leave it to destiny.

After awhile, I realise that it doesn't work this way. Leaving it to fate still requires me to put in minimal efforts; at least msg those I like. If not, nothing will happen.

Now I feel that it's more like a sales job, have to meet 100 people to close 1 deal. :blink:

I used to think the same. Feel like everything is fated or just leave it to destiny.

After awhile, I realise that it doesn't work this way. Leaving it to fate still requires me to put in minimal efforts; at least msg those I like. If not, nothing will happen.

Now I feel that it's more like a sales job, have to meet 100 people to close 1 deal. :blink:

I always feel that relationships, of any kind, cannot be maintained without meeting up with people. Those who chat through phone but never meet up are rarely sincere and most of the time are as what you have mentioned above.

hmm, well, in this circle, it's not really like those in str8 life, where they meet each other through occassions, seminars, work, schools and maybe gathering.then get to know someone, meet up, chat on facebook and stuff

we attended all these in our "straight" life, but we cannot show likings for other males, as they might not be interested in guys.

so in the end, we started this kinda blind dating, match making style.

Hence just expect all meet ups like matchmaking.

If both are ok on first look, can go on dating, if not no more meet ups.

My suggestions to you is to frequent more gathering, or even organise one yourself.

make more gay friends.

From there, join events, gatherings from the AJ circle to know more friends. Maybe you will find someone who you are interested in knowing during the gathering, and this time at least you know the person in the group is either one of us and gay friendly.

Proceed from there in making friends with them, and eventually, hopefully a relationship (no expectations).

Commitment wise, unless you really captured the interest of the other person, no one will prioritise an "acquittance" over any work.

But if you know him through friends or events, at least there's a higher chance in him joining in when going out with the same group again, and there are more opportunities to know each other better.( isn't it like this in the straight world)

lastly, jia you, and be confident. dun give any expectations and avoid being too "sticky" since it's men we are talking about. ( gay or not)

Edited by luke84

It is all about looks.

I agree with this...I know I'm guilty of it though... Am sure there are many that's the same..

Fattie bom bom walk down the street

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

Came across this thread.

Many of the postings here are relevant since I'm now taking small steps in this direction. Appreciate the sharing. 

I think I did not reply to two or three PMs when I first got online here. My sincere apologies - sorry. Apart from that, I think I have tried to have some courtesy although there's still much to learn and unlearn having been single for so long.

Will try not to expect too much.. cheers.

On 6/2/2012 at 12:29 PM, iamziz said:

LOL! Interesting discussion. I find it rude to MIA even though the person not your type or I am not his type. I always tell guys wanting to meet me as much as their pics look good and the conversations seem great, I don't commit to anything before meeting but they die-die want to confirm a fxxk. I asked what if when they travel to meet the person or the person travels to meet them and either or both don't like what they see. The conversation ends. Least you can do is to face the person and say 'I am sorry, I don't think this is going to work but would you like to have a cuppa or drink since u are already here?' You don't lose anything to be nice.

If only guys are as considerate as you, this would really be a better world. 

There are people who turned up earlier only to hide somewhere to observe me. Only if I am agreeable to them, then they will appear themselves. Otherwise they turn and go. 

That is why it’s better to exchange real, unfiltered and non photoshopped photos before meeting up so there won’t be any nasty incidents. 

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.

On 8/10/2020 at 2:52 AM, tic-toc said:

There are people who turned up earlier only to hide somewhere to observe me. Only if I am agreeable to them, then they will appear themselves. Otherwise they turn and go. 

That is why it’s better to exchange real, unfiltered and non photoshopped photos before meeting up so there won’t be any nasty incidents. 

It begs the question why people filter and photoshop their photos... So much so that I subconsciously discount photos, unless it really looks like a candid shot.

I always think it’s better to under promise and over deliver.

4 hours ago, jiriki said:

It begs the question why people filter and photoshop their photos... So much so that I subconsciously discount photos, unless it really looks like a candid shot.

I always think it’s better to under promise and over deliver.

The problem is, everyone want to find someone better looking than themselves.  Not equal, but better.

Don't read and response to guests' post

7 hours ago, LeanMature said:

The problem is, everyone want to find someone better looking than themselves.  Not equal, but better.

In some ways, looks can be subjective. And hairstyling and even make up sometimes make all the difference.

I’ve met guys who on first date look stellar but subsequently when they bathe and all. I wonder if I would have gone out with them lol. Superficial max.

14 hours ago, jiriki said:

In some ways, looks can be subjective. And hairstyling and even make up sometimes make all the difference.

I’ve met guys who on first date look stellar but subsequently when they bathe and all. I wonder if I would have gone out with them lol. Superficial max.

You mean, when they removed all their makeups, you saw a different person ?

Don't read and response to guests' post