Male HQ

You Don't Wanna Speak Mandarin?

Guest Guest

I went to Taiwan recently and let me tell you, having language barriers when you are chinese and the place is a land of native chinese speakers isn't fun at all. Embarrassing to the max.

As a child, I had always preferred english compared to mandarin. As I grew older, I realised that mandarin is actually a beautiful language. When I hear my friends from China speak such perfect mandarin, it just makes me feel inferior somehow.

People like to say that at least in Singapore we can speak english so we are better but please lah, the majority of singaporeans have such a poor grasp of english that it makes me embarrassed to even hear that.

Don't need to admire Taiwanese for their Mandarin. Most Taiwanese have poor language aptitude. They knows only Mandarin and maybe a little or their own Taiwanese dialect and that's all. Their language abilities are bad. Those whom are good at English or speaks fluent English or other foreign languages have most probably had studied or stayed overseas. Many Taiwanese can't even speak or dare to speak English.

Singapore being a multiracial country, has lead to Singaporeans able to hear and speak many languages, of course with that, also comes the dilution of its languages, but that in itself is something uniquely Singaporean. 

You made a conscious choice in your preference for the English language, so why are you feeling inferior just because you can't speak or understand Mandarin well. Anyway, you are still young, there are still time for you to pick up other languages if you make an effort.  The key point here is EFFORT. If you are willing to put time and effort in learning, you will be able to be able to at least master something. It's whether you want or don't want to that's all.

For me, it's speaking on mandarin versus writing in mandarin. I remember during my Chinese O level oral exam, I actually chatted with my examinal and was really chilled, unlike my nervous friends. Writing Chinese composition and comprehension was a pain in the ass since all those Chinese characters confused the fuck out of me. So in the end, I got a miserable B4 for Chinese, but manage to get a distinction for Chinese oral and listening comprehension. I will always try to force 俗语 into my compositions, like: 所谓:一寸光阴一寸金,寸金难买寸光阴。followed by some reflections about the composition I'm writing about. Fyi, it means time is precious, don't waste it.

English on the other hand, I've got no clue to what happened. Got an A2, that's all, end of story.

Being able to speak in mandarin has its benefits, like when I pick up Caucasian tourists in gay bars, I can show them around Chinatown, speaking in mandarin, then have awesome sex back at their hotel.

I think you are a very lonely old man trying to create conversation.

Or just a typical Singaporean who likes to brag whenever there's an opportunity.

abang a braggart? I agree with him though..... :P

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

• Guest locked this topic