Male HQ

Burpple: 20 Cafes To Visit!

Photoshoot outing to any of these cafe for food photography session

Only if the cafe(s) happen to be along the ending of my outing routes.

edit : there is a thread further down the page where I posted the concoctions of a cafe iirc. pics taken over a period of time.

Edited by MeowPrince

Instagram @the_meowprince

I have a personal policy against cafes whose owners/operators are plain arrogant.  Orange Thimble's (rude operators twice) and the 4 Spa Esprit ones in Tiong Bahru fall in that category, the latter because of their bosses' attitudes toward residents.  So I do not support Open Door Policy, Tiong Bahru Cafe, Forty Hands or the-damned-Hero-gay-men-waxing joint.

I know. Tiong Bahru seems to be filled with plenty of cosy cafe. There is this bakery facing the main road that sells awesome apple pie.

That is the oldest bakery in the estate, Galicier, been around more than 40 years.  Coconut candy and Kueh dadah are their specialties.

Yes, the estate has a plethora of cafes.  Cafe Pralet, Drips Cafe(gay-friendly), Dough & Grain, and the new one next to Stranglets, the new Kisses Bakery are good food and nicer people.  There's also a nice cozy Jap place next to the Monkey God Temple (cheaper than the ridiculous Ikyu), and closer to the MRT station there is Heart Of House(gay friendly) and Coq & Balls and Big Mama (korean).  The places under Link Hotel however can be ignored. 

• 2 weeks later...

Currently there's a new cafe opened in 158 Kallang Way, Backstage Cafe, good coffee, nice ambience, great food and pastries all at reasonable prices. Plus currently there is 10% discount off all items.

Carnivore Carnivore, What do you eat? I have sharp teeth, I only eat meat! Herbivore Herbivore, what do U munch? I like leaves and plants for Lunch! Omnivore Omnivore, How about you? All kinds of meats and plants will do! ;)

How is Chye Seng Huat? Planning a trip there soon, so would like some firsthand account/s.

A girlfriend of mine tried Wimbly Lu's, she said it's not bad. I don't remember which cake was it that she recommended, I think the red velvet? Will ask her again.

As pretentious as it looks, the service is pretty bad. (EDIT : Okay maybe because only of that service boy who hand the cutleries like flinging the thing in my face"

The food and ambience on the other hand, is pretty good. The banana french toast was a wonderful treat! I enjoyed my espresso but I just ventured to call it "Not Bad" mainly cause I tasted better. 

Necessary Provisions have good coffee, chocolate, cakes and food. Though entirely inaccessible. It's in those shophouses in the middle of the private estates of bukit timah near Kismis.

Cups n Canvas has really good selection of beverages but do try their carrot cake. It's like.... the most worth shit ever.

Edited by RealityCheck

Can't say much about the service at CSH as it's pretty busy  - no matter what time u  go

But if u r just there to get a cuppa and chill w yr frens, its pretty self-sufficient

Just get the cuppa and help yrself to everything else.

So u don need much service staff attention for that.

If u r there to eat a full course meal, then I'm not sure if u will get their full attention, so u may need to b a bit patient.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't like Stranger's Reunion since they moved to the bigger unit next door which was next to the old one.

It used to have a laid-back feel but now it is crowded like overly crowded.

So if u just wanna find a quite reprieve and chill by yourself, this is not the place.

They will even reorganize you to share seats during busy periods.

I'm not sure why pple rave abt their coffee as I don't find it any more spectacular than the rest of the cafes.

Anyway to each his own

I just went to Penny U recently, the food really was disappointing. French Toast never goes wrong as per usual, but the savoury waffles was like a giant flop. 8 dollars for 2 sweet belgium waffles, a poached egg and some weird greens. Pretty wrong =/ Coffee was fine though! Place a tad small.

One place I would recommend is Maple & Market at Cassia Crescent, decently well made cakes and great selection of loafs and muffins as well. They also host baking classes and it has this nice minimalistic "Martha Stewart" Kitchen feel to it. I didn't get to try all the beverages there, but the wide selection of tea is quite impressive.

While I rave about the bakery at Cassia Crescent, there's another nice bakery cafe at Sunset Way / Tiong Bahru. Drips Cafe. Nice selection of cakes, pastries, bread and some decadent fruit tarts (freaking huge). Do have a try at their chocolate truffle cake. It is really luxurious and creamy. Yet it doesn't fall! It's quite thick.

I still love Cups&Canvas, I still do think that it's more worth it go there or Necessary Provisions. Those are my two personal favourites, that's all :)

Guest Cafe dweller

I like Necessary Provisions. A bit off the beaten track so not many pple get to it which is perfect for me.

But now that it has been reported, I'm sure it won't be quiet for long.

I don't like it when they write about these cafes as they become popular overnight - such is the case with Stranger's Reunion and Penny U - a shame as they were really good when they first started.

Well, all the more to discover new cafes.

I live literally 5 mins walk away from Penny U. Haven't been there recently but when it was in its starting period, I fell in love with its ambience and decor. Their espresso shots were well done and their cakes on display tasted quite heavenly. Only think I felt was lacking was in its kitchen department. I'm not sure how they are now.

Instagram | @sodamnsonni

Twitter | @sosonni

The Dispensary.  A new place in Tiong Bahru, just a few steps from Hotel Nostalgia.

Place is refurbished from an old Chinese medical hall (a.k.a. dispensary), and the tenant has retained (and restored) much of the original furniture and cupboards.  It even has a "rooftop" outdoor smoking area for the tar-and-nicotine-needy.

44551_zps0bef1a6f.jpg

Drinks are nothing to write home about, but they do bake some pretty-looking, old-school cakes...

This pineapple poundcake was fresh out of the oven just 25mins before this post.  Nice, light and retro tasting, so unlike the atas stuff from Drips or Kisses nearby.

Of course they do have the generic confectionery for the regular folks, but IMO, try to catch them when the cakes are fresh from their oven.

44552_zpsd0ed9e14.jpg

More when I go there again soon.....  :D

As pretentious as it looks, the service is pretty bad. (EDIT : Okay maybe because only of that service boy who hand the cutleries like flinging the thing in my face"

The food and ambience on the other hand, is pretty good. The banana french toast was a wonderful treat! I enjoyed my espresso but I just ventured to call it "Not Bad" mainly cause I tasted better. 

Necessary Provisions have good coffee, chocolate, cakes and food. Though entirely inaccessible. It's in those shophouses in the middle of the private estates of bukit timah near Kismis.

Cups n Canvas has really good selection of beverages but do try their carrot cake. It's like.... the most worth shit ever.

i don't like Chye Seng Huat.  It has a nice concept - hardware store and all, but it's so crowded and noisy.  Cakes were so-so.  Not sure about coffee cos I don't drink it. 

There's The Bravery nearby at Horne Road. Anyone tried that?

im looking to try out Necessary Provisions. People have been warning me about how ulu though haha. I don't mind walking in.

The Dispensary.  A new place in Tiong Bahru, just a few steps from Hotel Nostalgia.

Place is refurbished from an old Chinese medical hall (a.k.a. dispensary), and the tenant has retained (and restored) much of the original furniture and cupboards.  It even has a "rooftop" outdoor smoking area for the tar-and-nicotine-needy.

44551_zps0bef1a6f.jpg

Drinks are nothing to write home about, but they do bake some pretty-looking, old-school cakes...

This pineapple poundcake was fresh out of the oven just 25mins before this post.  Nice, light and retro tasting, so unlike the atas stuff from Drips or Kisses nearby.

Of course they do have the generic confectionery for the regular folks, but IMO, try to catch them when the cakes are fresh from their oven.

44552_zpsd0ed9e14.jpg

More when I go there again soon.....  :D

Can I just say, this cake looks AMAZING.  

I did! Its rose syrup with expresso, yes rather unique although I think the expresso was a tad bitter for the sweet rose.

So strangely I can taste both bitter sweet in one sip.

U shld definitely give it a try at least once

Personally I didn't like it much.

I really want to try their Rose Latte! Have you tried it?

I did! Its rose syrup with expresso, yes rather unique although I think the expresso was a tad bitter for the sweet rose.

So strangely I can taste both bitter sweet in one sip.

U shld definitely give it a try at least once

Personally I didn't like it much.

oh shucks! I thought it being a Rose Latte would be like a Matcha Latte, no espresso, just hot milk and maybe rose syrup instead of matcha powder

Can I just say, this cake looks AMAZING.  

Lol.  Anyway, I just came back from my second visit to shoot the place.... hehe.  :D

The Dispensary -

It has a lot of quaint little bits to the place

79582_zps443b770e.jpg

Unfortunately, its cakes selection is pretty limited... blueberry cheesecake was okay

79581_zps31d54556.jpg

But I really wish they considered having a more challenging selection, especially since their neighbours within a stone's throw has either similarly nice cheesecakes (Flock), or an equal selection of cupcakes (Kisses), and have a great variety of fruit tarts (Drips).

Overall a nice place, but quaint factor can only take you that far.  Then again, with the surfeit of cafes in Tiong Bahru, I wonder how they can all still continue to be so crowded even on weekdays!

Oh u know wat.... I saw another drink called bed of roses which is just pinkish and I would imagine it's just milk and rose syrup, maybe that's more of what you wanted. It looks like a girl's drink though, very pretty.

I could be wrong, next time I go, I ask them for u.

oh shucks! I thought it being a Rose Latte would be like a Matcha Latte, no espresso, just hot milk and maybe rose syrup instead of matcha powder

Oh u know wat.... I saw another drink called bed of roses which is just pinkish and I would imagine it's just milk and rose syrup, maybe that's more of what you wanted. It looks like a girl's drink though, very pretty.

I could be wrong, next time I go, I ask them for u.

Thanks a lot!

Another review for this cafe at 178 Paya Lebar Road! 

It's calle TUCKSHOP CAFE!

I absolutely adore the food there! had the Yakiniku Rice and a iced mocha. Coffee was a bit flat, but the food was wonderful. Place was really atas, my classmate that used to work there did warn me that it would be crowded during lunch hour though. Place is pretty small and furniture is for sale! Enjoy a nice cake if you are around the corner there! It's pretty ulu to find so you might miss it though! Nearest MRT would be MacPherson

• 2 weeks later...

Besides little prince there is a little tart shop which sells some lovely tarts.  Tried both the choc and lemon tarts, the lemon one is THE one to try.

Can't remember the name tho, but it's just beside little prince...

Sorry not very helpful, but if u r there, u can just poke your head (and I mean the real head) across to  look see look see.

• 3 weeks later...

J. The pink drink is rose latte w/o expresso, so it's exactly watchu looking for .. rose w milk.

Not on the menu, so u need to ask them to make it for u.

Tuckshop is nice but crowwwwwded indeed...

Thanks a lot!

Another review for this cafe at 178 Paya Lebar Road! 

It's calle TUCKSHOP CAFE!

I absolutely adore the food there! had the Yakiniku Rice and a iced mocha. Coffee was a bit flat, but the food was wonderful. Place was really atas, my classmate that used to work there did warn me that it would be crowded during lunch hour though. Place is pretty small and furniture is for sale! Enjoy a nice cake if you are around the corner there! It's pretty ulu to find so you might miss it though! Nearest MRT would be MacPherson

The sweetest movement

They've changed their menu I think, no lemon tarts when I went.

Just small savouries like peanut butter, lemon strawberry.

I did try their toffee banana - nice but overpriced...

4 dinky tarts for 10 bucks....

Besides little prince there is a little tart shop which sells some lovely tarts.  Tried both the choc and lemon tarts, the lemon one is THE one to try.

Can't remember the name tho, but it's just beside little prince...

Sorry not very helpful, but if u r there, u can just poke your head (and I mean the real head) across to  look see look see.

Yes, the estate has a plethora of cafes.  Cafe Pralet, Drips Cafe(gay-friendly), Dough & Grain, and the new one next to Stranglets, the new Kisses Bakery are good food and nicer people.  There's also a nice cozy Jap place next to the Monkey God Temple (cheaper than the ridiculous Ikyu), and closer to the MRT station there is Heart Of House(gay friendly) and Coq & Balls and Big Mama (korean).  The places under Link Hotel however can be ignored. 

How did you know that Drips is gay friendly?

I was there a couple of months back. Liked the ambiance, fell in love with the furniture - I was extremely tempted to buy a stool until I found out the price - and especially loved the Cinnamon Pear tart. The Raisin Danish was okay, though I expected it to be more chewy. Ice Shaken Lemon Tea was decent.

I didn't physically go to the cafe but my girlfriends ordered their rainbow cake as my birthday cake. One slice is very generous; an entire cake is a shock! Hahaha. The cream cheese wasn't too cloying, though I felt like they might have piled it on a tad too much. The rainbow layers were gorgeous, spongy and colourful. One layer can fill you up for at least an hour!

BSjRRFH.jpg

My friends had intended to get me the rainbow crepe (which looks equally gorgeous) but went with this instead. Those bitches! LOL :P

lpZJ2qM.jpg

(Pictures snagged from the net for illustration purposes.)

Edited by Butterscotch

A

I didn't physically go to the cafe but my girlfriends ordered their rainbow cake as my birthday cake. One slice is very generous; an entire cake is a shock! Hahaha. The cream cheese wasn't too cloying, though I felt like they might have piled it on a tad too much. The rainbow layers were gorgeous, spongy and colourful. One layer can fill you up for at least an hour!

BSjRRFH.jpg

My friends had intended to get me the rainbow crepe (which looks equally gorgeous) but went with this instead. Those bitches! LOL :P

lpZJ2qM.jpg

(Pictures snagged from the net for illustration purposes.)

Is that from I am cafe? the main courses look good too!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.