Male HQ

Baking Group

aldric

15 hours ago, yoyo74 said:

Today made vegan avocardo cheesecake round 2. Brought grinder and cutting nuts to pieces becomes very easy but the dates still giving me problems. I put 150gm of dates in the small grinder on it but it cannot move so i take out half the dates content and grind it and was successful but when i pour in the other half inside it turn so slowly and seem like the earlier half of the dates smash to paste form stuck the whole blade. I had a hard time getting all the dates out as it stuck inside like a glue. Too tired already and i just cut the remaining dates into smaller pieces and mix with the rest of the ingredient in a metal tray lol. Today filling i add more honey and lessen the lemon and lime juice and hope it taste better if it is sweeter and less sour. The crust this time is dryer as it suppose to be. Next time i will just cut the dates into pieces and use mortar and pestle to smash it instead lol.

Alternatively mix pecan with dates and grind together, nuts will absorb moisture hence making it earlier to grind. As mention before, grinder can be tricky especially when encounter without enough moisture to move the blades. In spice grinding, some people will add oil to ease the process since eventually oil would be needed to fry the spices. So in your case, the rest of the ingredient such as coconut oil, coco powder and even coconut chips/shredded coconut can be added together to grind with the dates. Best to still rough chop the dates with knife before you pop them in or else everything else would be too 'powdery' before your dates can even be smooth. Incidentally it is a norm for people to rough chop items to smaller sizes before popping them into the blender/chopper. 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Al desserting
On ‎28‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:28 PM, yoyo74 said:

Today made vegan avocardo cheesecake round 2. Brought grinder and cutting nuts to pieces becomes very easy but the dates still giving me problems. I put 150gm of dates in the small grinder on it but it cannot move so i take out half the dates content and grind it and was successful but when i pour in the other half inside it turn so slowly and seem like the earlier half of the dates smash to paste form stuck the whole blade. I had a hard time getting all the dates out as it stuck inside like a glue. Too tired already and i just cut the remaining dates into smaller pieces and mix with the rest of the ingredient in a metal tray lol. Today filling i add more honey and lessen the lemon and lime juice and hope it taste better if it is sweeter and less sour. The crust this time is dryer as it suppose to be. Next time i will just cut the dates into pieces and use mortar and pestle to smash it instead lol.

you could probably get a food processor for the dates instead...stronger power and wont jam

Indeed the "Great baking series" are amazing and learned many simple tricks from some of the shows. Even the Great Australian bake off is good, unfortunately only seen once the American Bake off but they don't seems to be doing well. Some of Paul Hollywood tips are really helpful. He gave me more confidence in attempting breads. 

Side track a recipe from YouTube 

Looks easy but I ended up with very wet dough and couldn't shape like in the video, so baked mine in a baking tray instead.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:57 AM, Boiboi15 said:

Sorry didnt see ur messages. What kind of bakes would u wanna learn?

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:27 PM, -Ignored- said:

Might have good news! (location yes, weekends preferably

the unofficial* (&Official expertise) enthusiasts pls report  here (Share your ideas too)! Lol

We aim to start from VERY small and ez to understand simple baking....

Chocolate , shyc, @ThePineapple @Boiboi15 @Curious_Mac can u teach? or anyone

Unofficial: Why unoff? cos for me, I m never those obedient -go-by-the-book type, so long I can cook out a dish/a pastry ie fine, I m NOT going for masters for culinary or to bcome James oliver or going to Open a RA (restaurant Andre)
U get me?

I know this has waned off over time, but it is nt ez to find a slot!!!
Now the slot has arrived!!!! (location is fair and centralised) - though objectives have not changed

I m thinking of a late afternoon slot, if not evening slot (I cant confirm the time)

but I need teachers to get the stuff (teachers need not to be an expert like chef,just for sharing only and it is a small grp, pls don't post photos online too)
-using my location

I ONLY have an oven n those simple mixer w bowl like https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/wcsstore/TGGCAS/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&noSaveAs=1&dDocName=10090463_31586&Rendition=ZOOMIMAGE

I wish to set a challenge  ie anyone to teach baking but more towards Halloween, eg Halloween cupcakes, wat wat ghost cakes, cake pop etc

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=halloween+baking&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiwmNqI8pbVAhVJi5QKHStzBCYQsAQIKw&biw=1366&bih=570
(of cos we can look at mcakes, but I doubt the general trend is about mooncakes)

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/halloween-baking/?lp=true

13 Sep, is the date, a good event needs planning, u have more than enugh time time to react

Hopefully afternn doesn't mean retirees ONLY

3 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

no takers? no teachers? on 13 sep

I love what you're asking for and the whole idea for it, but those definitely look like more skillful pastries than anything else. Unless someone here does baking for a living, most of us don't really dabble in such intricate designs xD

14 minutes ago, Eujiboo said:

I love what you're asking for and the whole idea for it, but those definitely look like more skillful pastries than anything else. Unless someone here does baking for a living, most of us don't really dabble in such intricate designs xD

don't be mistaken , this is just 1 of the many suggestion

there are very simple ones like:

https://www.landolakes.com/recipe/18494/halloween-spider-web-cupcakes/

On ‎20‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:17 AM, -Ignored- said:

I know this has waned off over time, but it is nt ez to find a slot!!!
Now the slot has arrived!!!! (location is fair and centralised) - though objectives have not changed

I m thinking of a late afternoon slot, if not evening slot (I cant confirm the time)

but I need teachers to get the stuff (teachers need not to be an expert like chef,just for sharing only and it is a small grp, pls don't post photos online too)
-using my location

I ONLY have an oven n those simple mixer w bowl like https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/wcsstore/TGGCAS/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&noSaveAs=1&dDocName=10090463_31586&Rendition=ZOOMIMAGE

I wish to set a challenge  ie anyone to teach baking but more towards Halloween, eg Halloween cupcakes, wat wat ghost cakes, cake pop etc

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=halloween+baking&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiwmNqI8pbVAhVJi5QKHStzBCYQsAQIKw&biw=1366&bih=570
(of cos we can look at mcakes, but I doubt the general trend is about mooncakes)

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/halloween-baking/?lp=true

13 Sep, is the date, a good event needs planning, u have more than enugh time time to react

Hopefully afternn doesn't mean retirees ONLY

• 1 month later...
On 08/05/2017 at 2:04 AM, yoyo74 said:

I get the name and receipt from the below video. Normally when there is a vegetarian in the name with some meat name it is normally a mock meat or something that is use to replace the meat. If you see the word vegan, you can expect no eggs, no milk and no honey. Cheese is a by product of milk so is not allow too. So when you see both the word vegan than cheese it means the cheese is a replaced by some other things vegan.

Finally got a chance to do something similar. Didn't follow the recipe strictly.

t814b5.jpg%5B

half size so most ingredient are half.

For base, used dried apricots and almond instead. Plus digestive biscuits without using coco powder or coconut chips.

For filling, Used only 2 avacado. Juice of one lemon about 80ml. Use thick coconut cream instead of coconut oil. Used honey and added one extra ingredient which is a teaspoon of konnyaku jelly power. 

Verdict/review:

base after mixing looks rather dry and crumbly so added extra 15ml melted butter. Still looked crumbly but after chill, firm enough to cut and crumble at light touches.

filling is rich but lemon overpower all other flavour. no distinct taste of avacado or coconut cream. had anticipated to be like the avacado drink since I use coconut cream but nothing close as lemon is way too much. Lemon did help to prevent oxidation but after 2 days in the fridge start to turn from green to 'blackish' so do eat as fast as possible. 

Thumbs up for the simplicity of making it so very good for beginners to try.

p/s: I cut up apricot so tat why chunky, texture make it more interesting than all being smooth. Lemon zest from the one lemon added to both base and filling. Freeze for half hour before cutting and return to fridge thereafter. After it was made I left it in the fridge overnight. Konnyaku had set the filling but still soft at the touch. So did the freeze after, only so it is firm for getting a good clean cut.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2017 at 2:21 PM, shyc said:

Finally got a chance to do something similar. Didn't follow the recipe strictly.

t814b5.jpg%5B

half size so most ingredient are half.

For base, used dried apricots and almond instead. Plus digestive biscuits without using coco powder or coconut chips.

For filling, Used only 2 avacado. Juice of one lemon about 80ml. Use thick coconut cream instead of coconut oil. Used honey and added one extra ingredient which is a teaspoon of konnyaku jelly power. 

Verdict/review:

base after mixing looks rather dry and crumbly so added extra 15ml melted butter. Still looked crumbly but after chill, firm enough to cut and crumble at light touches.

filling is rich but lemon overpower all other flavour. no distinct taste of avacado or coconut cream. had anticipated to be like the avacado drink since I use coconut cream but nothing close as lemon is way too much. Lemon did help to prevent oxidation but after 2 days in the fridge start to turn from green to 'blackish' so do eat as fast as possible. 

Thumbs up for the simplicity of making it so very good for beginners to try.

p/s: I cut up apricot so tat why chunky, texture make it more interesting than all being smooth. Lemon zest from the one lemon added to both base and filling. Freeze for half hour before cutting and return to fridge thereafter. After it was made I left it in the fridge overnight. Konnyaku had set the filling but still soft at the touch. So did the freeze after, only so it is firm for getting a good clean cut.

I normally would avoid digestive biscuits as it is low in nutritional benefits. This week i try another method. The base i use almonds, dried apricots, desiccated coconut and grind them all together. I use some coconut oil on it so it can stick more together. The filling i soak a bottle of cashew nuts overnight and drain it. I pour the drain cashew nut, 125ml honey, 2 packets of strawberry, 1 small packet of coconut milk, a pinch of salt into the blender and blend it. I pour the filling on top of the crust than pour another 2 packets of blueberries on the filling and spread on top of it. Send it into the freezer to make another ice cream cake. Actually all these simple method to make a healthy ice cream cake can change a lot of variety by changing any of its fruits or nuts which is also more in nutrition value.

• 6 months later...
On 9/2/2017 at 12:12 PM, -Ignored- said:

it s hard to pronounce your name, probably due to your race?

the group is here just that less responsive.....

You're kidding right. HAHAHAHA. its just random pressing of my keyboard. 

Anyway, I mainly bake macarons. Check them out on my insta @mydaily.bread 

So is there a baking group :(

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/6/2019 at 2:42 AM, appboy said:

https://www.eventbrite.sg/e/bake-with-joy-registration-57587892938

Any aspiring bakers here? There is a briefing on government grant for the baking sector.

We can attend together if anyone is keen.

It will be fun to bake as a group, each buying part of the ingredients.

Don't read and response to guests' post

On 10/31/2018 at 4:15 PM, gaysluttyme said:

anyone into group buy ? cos each commercial pack is 25 kg, if share by 3 persons, about 8 kg or 2 persons/ 12.5kg...anyone keen ?

Bread flour

Hey bro,

that may be a good idea, as I home bake a bit too.

Buying these items from ntuc supermarket can be quite costly...

I too have been thinking of a commercial supplier to save cost.

I need about 40kg PFlour, 16kg SRFlour, 25kg CasterS, and 600 eggs!!

It is just a nightmare to stock these in my living room during the festive

baking season.

I was even planning to convert a bedroom into an airconditioned storeroom.

Eggs are a huge problem they spoil so fast in our local heat, I once had to 

throw out 200 eggs!! 

Anyway, just to chat with like-minded guys here on some ideas.

Cheers, Mike

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, jackie1981lee said:

I learn via YouTube. Keen to learn but no friend wanna go together. 

For beginner and hobbyist,  learning from YouTube is a good option rather than wasting time and money going to baking classes. 

On 4/13/2019 at 1:18 AM, mike_amk said:

Hey bro,

that may be a good idea, as I home bake a bit too.

Buying these items from ntuc supermarket can be quite costly...

I too have been thinking of a commercial supplier to save cost.

I need about 40kg PFlour, 16kg SRFlour, 25kg CasterS, and 600 eggs!!

It is just a nightmare to stock these in my living room during the festive

baking season.

I was even planning to convert a bedroom into an airconditioned storeroom.

Eggs are a huge problem they spoil so fast in our local heat, I once had to 

throw out 200 eggs!! 

Anyway, just to chat with like-minded guys here on some ideas.

Cheers, Mike

Is it cheaper to buy from NTUC than going to baking shops like Phoon Huat ? 

On 5/9/2019 at 9:04 AM, LeanMature said:

Is it cheaper to buy from NTUC than going to baking shops like Phoon Huat ? 

I think most things at baking needs shops are a little more expensive than supermarkets, than again many baking essentials are not found in supermarkets.

15 hours ago, stan_chit said:

Any baking group to join?

Can check under the clubs menu but again very low participation rate. Alternatively these days I find many great YouTube Teachers, just search for the kind of baking you want to learn. For me I will source for a few of similar topic and than embark on one that I think is simple and easy for me to follow.