Male HQ

All About Hiv / Aids Discussion + I Suspect I Might Have Hiv Symptoms + Hiv Medication Prep + I Tested Positive (Compiled)

Guest breakboy

Here you go.

i guess even if there is a cure, they will delay it. cos once with a cure, all the HIV pharmaceuticals will go bust.

ever wondered why no one bothered to produce the ultimate vaccine for the common flu but juz let it continue to mutate and be more resistent ? They juz do more research and introduce newer preventive cures and rake in more money. But u get that ultimate solution out and many pharmaceuticals will die.

"With Koronis, Is A Cure For HIV On The Horizon?

Jun. 13 2011 - 3:53 pm

Here’s a compelling thought: All the HIV drugs currently on the market work by suppressing some form of the virus and its ability to replicate itself. What if you created a drug that did the opposite–one that uses the replication process to get the virus to mutate more often, something that makes the HIV virus eventually weaken and collapse?"

Read more here: http://blogs.forbes.com/kerryadolan/2011/06/13/with-koronis-is-a-cure-for-hiv-on-the-horizon/

Guest PEP Testing

For PEP testing, please click the link: http://www.dsc-sexualhealth.com.sg/shownews.asp?id=17

Non-occupational Postexposure HIV Prophylaxis

Doctors who manage patients with sexually transmitted infections may be confronted with the scenario of a patient requesting for non-occupational post-exposure (NO-PEP) HIV prophylaxis in the clinic. In such a situation, the physician should assess the likelihood that HIV will be transmitted as a consequence of the exposure, and advise the patient about the risks and benefits of treatment. Appropriate counseling must be given, and if the decision is made to treat, follow up care for potential side effects of medication, repeat HIV testing and reinforcement of counseling messages must be done.

Introduction

Antiretroviral therapy (ART) offered as PEP has become the standard of care for healthcare workers who have had occupational exposure to HIV. A case-control study has demonstrated that PEP with zidovudine was associated with an 81% decrease in the odds of HIV transmission with a percutaneous exposure in the occupational setting.1 Although there is no data to show that ART is effective at preventing transmission from non-occupational exposures, the principles of managing patients with recent HIV exposure are similar whether the exposure occurs in an occupational or non-occupational setting.

HIV Exposure Risk Assessment

A detailed and careful history of the exposure event is the first step in evaluating a patient.

Table 1 shows the risk of HIV transmission following a single percutaneous occupational, sexual, or injection drug exposure.2 Patients should be told that these are estimates, and in reality, the odds of infection with a specific exposure are hard to estimate because the risk of HIV transmission is affected by many factors such as the viral load of the infected person, presence of other sexually transmitted diseases, the size of the inoculum, and so forth. Certain sexual practices (receptive anal intercourse) carry much higher risk than others (insertive oral sex).

Generally, exposures to saliva, urine, tears and sweat are not though to be infectious, and the risk of HIV transmission from splashes of contaminated fluids to mucosal surface or non-intact skin has not been accurately quantified, although it is likely to be low.

Exposure Estimated Risks

Needle stick injury3 1/300

Receptive anal intercourse4 1/100

Receptive vaginal intercourse5 1/1000

Insertive vaginal intercourse4 1/2000

Insertive anal intercourse4 1/2500

Receptive fellatio with ejaculation4 1/2500

Sharing needles6 1/150

Table 1. Estimated risks of HIV transmission per type of exposure

Criteria for NOPEP against HIV

The following criteria should be used:

There is high risk exposure (any unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, receptive fellatio with ejaculation) with: (1) a partner known to be HIV-infected, or (2) in HIV-risk group (men who have sex with men, bisexual men, IV drug users, commercial sex workers), or (3) patient was raped.

Patient must be counseled and make a commitment to safe sex

Patient must make an informed decision regarding potential risks and benefits of the treatment offered

Exposure must have taken place within the last 72 hours, as initiating PEP after 72 hours is not advised

Regimen

The Department of STI Control Clinic offers a triple drug combination of Combivir® (zidovudine 300mg/lamivudine 150mg) 1 tablet twice a day AND Kaletra® (lopinavir 200mg/rtionavir 50mg) 2 tablets twice a day both for a total of 28 days. The cost to the patient is approximately $1225.80

Side Effects

The drugs used can all cause GIT side effects i.e. nausea, diarrhoea, anorexia

ZDV: most side effects are dose-related; major side effect is haemtaological - anemia, granulocytopenia; pigmentation of nails reported

3TC: well-tolerated; rash, hair loss, vasculitis, photophobia, paraesthesia

Kaletra: diarrhea, nausea, headache, asthenia, rash, insomnia

Baseline Tests and Follow Up

Baseline HIV test is performed.

Full blood count, liver and renal function tests; these will detect any pre-existing abnormality prior to treatment and can be repeated if necessary.

Patients should be seen after 2 and 4 weeks to assess compliance and possible side effects of medication, as well as to reinforce prevention messages.

Counseling Patients

It is important to counsel patients that:

There is no $!^*| proof that ART PEP decreases risk of HIV, although there is supportive evidence based on biologic plausibility, animal studies and in a single study on HCW

The treatment is not 100% effective, as there have been documented cases of seroconversion after occupational exposures despite PEP

Side effects will be encountered with medication

Most importantly, issues of safer sex and how to prevent future exposures must be addressed

Hey PEP Testing, so do you mean that in other words even if you think you have been exposed to the virus, you still can prevent HIV infection?

yes, but you must go for the post treatment within 72 hours from the moment you were exposed. during that period the treatment still can help you fight the hiv. However it's not 100% guarenteed.

And it's not cheap. ~$1000+ I think.

And it may not be available too immediate in SG. Like you go to the doctor, but they're not ready or so.. it may have some delay. Or it's friday night and sat and sun no one is working. something like that.

Guest worried

I recently got tested and there was a very faint line appearing on the positive side. the doctor told me to get a confirmatory test one month later. I have several questions and hope you guys can guide me through. should i get tested and treated in singapore or is there an alternative place eg JB . i heard that the medication is going to be costly in singapore and doctors may reccommend buying the medication from other countries if that is so, would getting treated and buying medication from JB/thailand be a better solution. it just kind of weird getting registered and listed by the local gov and in the end having need to buy medication from somecother countries. I wanna live at least for the another 10 years. so i am thinking of starting my treatment soon if i am really positive. feed me some information if you can, i will greatly appreciate your kind inputs

Guest worried sick

how is the result?

hi ... result was negative but it was taken at 6 weeks after the encounter. I have to wait till end of July for my 12th week's test. Just praying that all will be fine. The window period is really too long and it does bring about anxiety to people who had high risk exposures. But again life goes on and I just do not dwell on it.

Quoted from AFA website:

"Important Note on Window Period before coming down for a test:

The time period between when a person is actually infected with HIV and when antibodies to HIV can be detected in the test is called the window period.

Nearly everyone who is infected with HIV (99%) will have antibodies detected by 3 months after infection.

However, currently used antibody tests are more sensitive than those used in the past.

Most people will develop detectable antibodies by 30 days after infection with HIV.

You are therefore able to do your HIV test at our clinic from the first month of exposure, then confirm your status once more in the third month.

Action for AIDS, Singapore adopted the estimate of 3 months window period in consultation with several agencies overseas that provide similar voluntary HIV counseling and testing services. Most agencies have adopted the 3 month estimate as evidence based and reliable. In addition we strongly encourage the adoption of protected sex for all casual sexual exposures. For persons with high risk behaviours we encourage annual HIV testing. With reference to the most recent BASHH guidelines - http://www.bashh.org/documents/63/63.pdf"

And for those who have had high risk exposures, it is important to know that PEP can help reduce the risk of getting infected even though the cost could be high.

Guest Guest

I recently got tested and there was a very faint line appearing on the positive side. the doctor told me to get a confirmatory test one month later. I have several questions and hope you guys can guide me through. should i get tested and treated in singapore or is there an alternative place eg JB . i heard that the medication is going to be costly in singapore and doctors may reccommend buying the medication from other countries if that is so, would getting treated and buying medication from JB/thailand be a better solution. it just kind of weird getting registered and listed by the local gov and in the end having need to buy medication from somecother countries. I wanna live at least for the another 10 years. so i am thinking of starting my treatment soon if i am really positive. feed me some information if you can, i will greatly appreciate your kind inputs

were u very sick for a period of time before u took the first test?

Hi Worried,

I was in your shoes about 2 mth + back, except that mine was an actual positive :( I managed to find some information through the help of some people who visit the forum, as well as some other people I managed to contact, on going Bangkok for treatment, if that is potentially what you might be considering. If you wish to know more, perhaps you can create an account and drop me a PM, and I will give you some suggestions via that ? I'll try to provide you with the information you might wish to know so that you can start reading up.

Take care, and keep your sprits up OK !

Hi did you say you did your test at an anonymous HIV test clinic? If yes, then you would not be registered as a case here. There are different reasons for people who want to go oversea for treatment. Cost is a major factor but there are also many other people who are more concerned about who to turn to whenever there is a side effect or adjustment issue to the HIV status. I do recommend you to talk to those who are HIV positive and managed themselves well. If you take good care of yourself and the treatment works well for you, you will live long. There are many friends who are diagnosed in 1990s and still living very well today.

Let me know if you need further help, I know the person running newly HIV diagnosed program and he might be able to help. However, at this stage, you need to establish your HIV status first.

Hi there, i am a staff with Action for AIDS. If you ever need help you can call our hotline at 6254 0212 or drop me an e-mail at avin.tan@afa.org.sg.

everything will be kept confidential and your identity will be protected.

What you can do now is, come down to our HIV anonymous clinic at 31 Kelantan lane to get a confirmatory test. No particulars are required here and no records are kept.

If you ever tested positive, our counselors will then proceed to help you explore the options to receive follow up here in Singapore or overseas.

The obvious benefits of receiving follow up here is that your doctor is based here, so you will get immediate, if not faster respond if ever the need arise.

The downside is, the ministry will have your record. However, your records remain confidential with the ministry.

Your employee, insurance agent or any other government agency will not have access to this information.

The CDC is also a very professionally run and safe place to receive follow up treatments.

If you decide to receive treatment at the CDC, we can also apply for subsidy (up to $200) to help cover the cost of the initial check up.

Medication is expensive but help is available. The other benefit of entering the system is that you will be able to apply for subsidies.

Medication will cost between $100-$180 per month for the initial stages of infection, and if the regimen is diligently followed through, this will last you for several years.

In just the short span of the last 10 years, medical treatment and technology have improved by leaps and bound.

There are studies that proves that when treatment is started as soon as possible, life expectancy will improve and prolonged for an average of 20-30 years. And who know what improvements to treatment technology over the next 10 years!!!

All these information are available here.

Anonymous Testing - http://www.afa.org.sg/anonymous.php

AfA HIV Medical Management Subsidy Scheme for First Visit to CDC - http://www.afa.org.sg/clinical.php

Support group and counselling for newly diagnose - http://www.afa.org.sg/support.php#projecthope'>http://www.afa.org.sg/support.php#projecthope

Other subsidies and support for people living with HIV/AIDS - http://www.afa.org.sg/support.php

Hope and help is certainly available. Feel free to drop us a call or e-mail and we will try our best to help.

Guest Guest

yeah i remb u....i took a free test from you at Taboo...intially went back to collect result but was told my s/n is not found until a further check w ur colleague who served me then u confirmed im neg lol...i hope so.

were u very sick for a period of time before u took the first test?

i had some rashes on my body so initially i wanted to do some std screening first but decided to take the hiv test first. anyway the whole process is just very tedious and tiring and traumatic. first you wanna get checked and then you don't want to be in the system if you catch hiv and then its just a whole mess. you just want to see one doctor. but thats not possible if you dont want to be in the gov system for hiv , lets just say you check hiv at one, check std at one and get treated if you need to at another country.lol sounds terrible. but i guess its the whole hassle that takes your mind off. after this episode, i certainly know what is needed to make patients feel better after given the sentencing. but the only way to be sure is to get tested. and do a retest because the first test may not be very accurate.

Hi there, i am a staff with Action for AIDS. If you ever need help you can call our hotline at 6254 0212 or drop me an e-mail at avin.tan@afa.org.sg.

everything will be kept confidential and your identity will be protected.

What you can do now is, come down to our HIV anonymous clinic at 31 Kelantan lane to get a confirmatory test. No particulars are required here and no records are kept.

If you ever tested positive, our counselors will then proceed to help you explore the options to receive follow up here in Singapore or overseas.

The obvious benefits of receiving follow up here is that your doctor is based here, so you will get immediate, if not faster respond if ever the need arise.

The downside is, the ministry will have your record. However, your records remain confidential with the ministry.

Your employee, insurance agent or any other government agency will not have access to this information.

The CDC is also a very professionally run and safe place to receive follow up treatments.

If you decide to receive treatment at the CDC, we can also apply for subsidy (up to $200) to help cover the cost of the initial check up.

Medication is expensive but help is available. The other benefit of entering the system is that you will be able to apply for subsidies.

Medication will cost between $100-$180 per month for the initial stages of infection, and if the regimen is diligently followed through, this will last you for several years.

In just the short span of the last 10 years, medical treatment and technology have improved by leaps and bound.

There are studies that proves that when treatment is started as soon as possible, life expectancy will improve and prolonged for an average of 20-30 years. And who know what improvements to treatment technology over the next 10 years!!!

All these information are available here.

Anonymous Testing - http://www.afa.org.sg/anonymous.php

AfA HIV Medical Management Subsidy Scheme for First Visit to CDC - http://www.afa.org.sg/clinical.php

Support group and counselling for newly diagnose - http://www.afa.org.sg/support.php#projecthope'>http://www.afa.org.sg/support.php#projecthope

Other subsidies and support for people living with HIV/AIDS - http://www.afa.org.sg/support.php

Hope and help is certainly available. Feel free to drop us a call or e-mail and we will try our best to help.

Thanks dude. its really hard work you guys are doing, really appreciate it.

Guest cynical me

a little off topic.

is it too extreme to ask for, to have oral sex with condoms on?

i used to think that oral sex is most likely safe from HIV point of view, if you don't swallow and has no skin break on the penis or the mouth.

i know there is still risk of STD with oral sex.

however, now i am getting a bit more paranoid and start to think that condoms on, regardless i am giving or receiving oral sex.

anyone out there do the same as me?

i had some rashes on my body so initially i wanted to do some std screening first but decided to take the hiv test first. anyway the whole process is just very tedious and tiring and traumatic. first you wanna get checked and then you don't want to be in the system if you catch hiv and then its just a whole mess. you just want to see one doctor. but thats not possible if you dont want to be in the gov system for hiv , lets just say you check hiv at one, check std at one and get treated if you need to at another country.lol sounds terrible. but i guess its the whole hassle that takes your mind off. after this episode, i certainly know what is needed to make patients feel better after given the sentencing. but the only way to be sure is to get tested. and do a retest because the first test may not be very accurate.

To be frank, it's not that scary to be in the system. It's all confidential and protected anyway.

Some may have and some may not.... Is best to go HIV test....

hmmm honestly, it was because of rashes which prompted me to go for the tests. i read up a little and know that theres something called hiv rash. however., i do go for a half yearly checks. and its good because it only through testing you will know for sure if you are infected. frequent disciplined testing also allows you to roughly know when you caught the bug. just to share my experience, i did a syphillis and hiv test . the syphillis turn out neg and hiv positive. i went to the dsc clinic the next day to get my blood drawn for the confirmation test. the nurse there was fantastic, and i think i owed him one of the biggest favours in my life. i told him about my rash and brush it off as hiv rash, he saw it and insist that i should do a comprehensive sti test , i told him i just did syp yesterday and i didn't think retesting a day later was necessary. he strongly suggested that it was looking like syp, and i heeded his advice and did a comprehensive test, true enough, it was syp, and the doctor administered pennicillin jab, i will share that experience another time. what i was trying to say is that for me, luckily it was the syphillis rash which prompted me to go to do the testing. so there is a possibility that theres no apparent symptoms will pop out from hiv. its usually screened out when you catch something else, if not it'll go away undetected, life is really fragile. and its so easy to catch these terrible diseases. this few days i would suddenly tear up because the thought that i have to be very careful now and i can no longer do certain things which i used to do, and catching stis in future if i have hiv would be life threatening to me. and treatment would be a whole different story for hiv patients.. you can ask me anything, if i experience it or know, i will share with you.

This is why testing every few weeks is so important, if you are sexually active with multiple partners.

Not only will you know when you are infected (approximately), you will also help save yourself and others.

Get tested today.

It's the responsible and pro-active thing to do.

Edited by superflawless

Just to lighten the mood, I came across a question I saw on-line by a HIV patient:

My dog ate my feces

Jun 9, 2011

I am HIV+ . Before I could clean up after diarrhea my dog eat the feces that was on the floor. The vet said it is somewhat common for dogs to do that but did not think being HIV+ would make a difference. I know HIV can not be passed on to animals , but what about a dog eating the feces from a HIV+ person?

Reply by doctor:

ello,

Eeeeeww.

We answer a lot of questions here; usually the same question gets asked more than once. But this is a first time for your query.

No, dogs don't have human CD4 proteins, and as such, cannot get infected with HIV.

BY Dr. Young.

Link here.

Now, I have seen everything. LOL

Edited by superflawless

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Hope to fly under the rada

Not sure if it's an appropriate thread to ask my question. I hope those who know can share the information. When a HIV positive person has started on medication for a while, will that person still be tested positive for HIV using test kits ? I'm wondering, as I have to go for a pre-employment medical checkup. In case I have to take a HIV test, then I'll be dead meat ... if anyone knows please do share with me the info, thanks !

Not sure if it's an appropriate thread to ask my question. I hope those who know can share the information. When a HIV positive person has started on medication for a while, will that person still be tested positive for HIV using test kits ? I'm wondering, as I have to go for a pre-employment medical checkup. In case I have to take a HIV test, then I'll be dead meat ... if anyone knows please do share with me the info, thanks !

once infected, whatever method of testing used will always show a positive result, even if u have started medication.

Edited by sonnabend

once infected, whatever method of testing used will always show a positive result, even if u have started medication.

Not true. There are cases where your viral load can be undetectable. Current technology can only test if there's a certain amount of virus in your body. But this fluctuates and is very difficult to be accurate. It's best not to risk it.

Not true. There are cases where your viral load can be undetectable. Current technology can only test if there's a certain amount of virus in your body. But this fluctuates and is very difficult to be accurate. It's best not to risk it.

normally, the test is to detect hiv anti body, not to detect the viral load. In this case, the anti body will always be there, which means the results will be positive.

normally, the test is to detect hiv anti body, not to detect the viral load. In this case, the anti body will always be there, which means the results will be positive.

Well, yes you're right. I over looked that. Thank you very much for clarifying this. However I have witness a couple cases of false positive, where the there is not enough antibody to trigger a positive results with rapid test kits. The manufacturers of rapid test kits has cautioned against this and during our safety briefings for volunteers working on testing projects and or the anonymous test site to also discuss this.

Here's a link to the product brochure. Look under the headings of "Limitations of the procedure".

We hope more companies will remove policies to fire people living HIV. It doesn't help by terminating them and stopping their income, especially if they are healthy, on treatment and can contribute back to the company and the economy. It is more expensive (not to mention an extremely lazy solution) to terminate people living with HIV/AIDS then to find a solution to retain him/her in the company.

Edited by vin8tan

We hope more companies will remove policies to fire people living HIV. It doesn't help by terminating them and stopping their income, especially if they are healthy, on treatment and can contribute back to the company and the economy. It is more expensive (not to mention an extremely lazy solution) to terminate people living with HIV/AIDS then to find a solution to retain him/her in the company.

If anyone is wrongfully terminated, please, share your predicament with us on this board.

These companies need to be educated.

Except for the medical professional (where there is a danger of infection for the HIV patient because the hospital/clinics are filled with viruses and bacteria), almost no job is out of bounds for HIV patients.

Get tested today and stay on medication.

Always practice safe sex, even if you are HIV + because you do not want to be double exposed. Super AIDS (multidrug resistant strains of HIV-1) is very hard to treat.

Not sure if I should start a new thread, but I guess since it's related I might as well add it here.

I've just started medication, Stocrin and Truvada, since Tuesday. Most the morning I'll feel slightly giddy, just wondering if this is common for those who take the same combination of medication. Also, will it go away after a while ? I'm rather worried it might cause me to not be able to concentrate at work.

Also, for those who went overseas for treatment, did you go for tests like Serum Creatinine, Lipids profiling, and SGPT (not sure what it stands for) after 1-3 mths of starting on the medication, to check the kidney and liver functions ? If yes, is it done in SG by private clinics etc ?

If anyone has any information about my above questions, kindly share with me please, either through posts here or by PM if you wish, thanks in advance !

Not sure if I should start a new thread, but I guess since it's related I might as well add it here.

I've just started medication, Stocrin and Truvada, since Tuesday. Most the morning I'll feel slightly giddy, just wondering if this is common for those who take the same combination of medication. Also, will it go away after a while ? I'm rather worried it might cause me to not be able to concentrate at work.

Also, for those who went overseas for treatment, did you go for tests like Serum Creatinine, Lipids profiling, and SGPT (not sure what it stands for) after 1-3 mths of starting on the medication, to check the kidney and liver functions ? If yes, is it done in SG by private clinics etc ?

If anyone has any information about my above questions, kindly share with me please, either through posts here or by PM if you wish, thanks in advance !

I did a search on your meds description and it says the symptoms are common. You should take your meds everyday just before bed time. The drowsiness might pass over time. It is also a good idea not to take a heavy meal prior to taking the meds as it would intensify the drowsiness. Did you get the meds locally? Whoever gave you the meds should also arrange for the various tests. You will get well soon. Take it easy and have a stress free life. I alo read that Truvada is great in reducing passing the infection to your partners. But that does not mean you are cured or that you can practice unsafe safe. Remember, you can be infected again with a different strain and develop a super strain of HIV which is very hard to treat. Always practice safe sex.

Yeah aren't you supposed to take it 2 hours after food and before bedtime? The doctor or pharmacist should have told you all these before you start on the meds. Sometimes I get very vivid dreams (nightmares) but mostly I wake up feeling ok and even strangely refreshed.

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

I did a search on your meds description and it says the symptoms are common. You should take your meds everyday just before bed time. The drowsiness might pass over time. It is also a good idea not to take a heavy meal prior to taking the meds as it would intensify the drowsiness. Did you get the meds locally? Whoever gave you the meds should also arrange for the various tests. You will get well soon. Take it easy and have a stress free life. I alo read that Truvada is great in reducing passing the infection to your partners. But that does not mean you are cured or that you can practice unsafe safe. Remember, you can be infected again with a different strain and develop a super strain of HIV which is very hard to treat. Always practice safe sex.

Hey Superflawless, yeah the drowsiness is common, but I seem to be having the giddiness the whole of today, which is why I'm a bit worried. I typically take my medication 1hr or so before sleep. Got the medication from BKK since the generics there are SO much cheaper than in SG. Prscribed by a doctor though, so not need to have concerns that I'm self-medicating. Oh, to clarify, I'm taking a generic drug of Truvada, which is the brand name.

Since my treatment was done in BKK, I have to do the liver and kidney function tests in SIngapore as I can't fly back to BKK just to do the tests, gotta do it on the first n 3rd mth of taking the medication. That's why I'm posting here to see if anyone knows where I can do such lab tests. I have my baseline done before I began the medication. Thanks for the reminder, yes I'll practise safe sex :)

Yeah aren't you supposed to take it 2 hours after food and before bedtime? The doctor or pharmacist should have told you all these before you start on the meds. Sometimes I get very vivid dreams (nightmares) but mostly I wake up feeling ok and even strangely refreshed.

Hi Avec, I didn't take the medication 2 hrs after food actually, for the past week I just take the medication before bed. Guess I'll go read up what my doctor wrote again in case I'm not following it to the dot. So far for me, no vivid dreams, no nightmares, just extended periods of giddiness/drowsiness like today, like the type where you take some cough mixture and your head feels a bit wobbly, doesn't make me sleepy though. Just hope it's not some indication of problems ...

Edited by Walking Dead

Guest 13 mth HIV+

Hey Superflawless, yeah the drowsiness is common, but I seem to be having the giddiness the whole of today, which is why I'm a bit worried. I typically take my medication 1hr or so before sleep. Got the medication from BKK since the generics there are SO much cheaper than in SG. Prscribed by a doctor though, so not need to have concerns that I'm self-medicating. Oh, to clarify, I'm taking a generic drug of Truvada, which is the brand name.

Since my treatment was done in BKK, I have to do the liver and kidney function tests in SIngapore as I can't fly back to BKK just to do the tests, gotta do it on the first n 3rd mth of taking the medication. That's why I'm posting here to see if anyone knows where I can do such lab tests. I have my baseline done before I began the medication. Thanks for the reminder, yes I'll practise safe sex :)

Hi Avec, I didn't take the medication 2 hrs after food actually, for the past week I just take the medication before bed. Guess I'll go read up what my doctor wrote again in case I'm not following it to the dot. So far for me, no vivid dreams, no nightmares, just extended periods of giddiness/drowsiness like today, like the type where you take some cough mixture and your head feels a bit wobbly, doesn't make me sleepy though. Just hope it's not some indication of problems ...

Hi WD,

We chatted in IRC and i am glad that you started your medication already. :)

The symptoms are normal but slowly your body will adapt to it and it will not be so bad once get use to it.

Still remember the first night i took it, i fallen into deep deep sleep and woke up the next day with jelly leg.

The most important thing is, take your medication on time!!! REMEMBER!! Don't ever forget!!! SET Alarm or whatever to remind you.

Wish you all the best! :)

Hi WD,

We chatted in IRC and i am glad that you started your medication already. :)

The symptoms are normal but slowly your body will adapt to it and it will not be so bad once get use to it.

Still remember the first night i took it, i fallen into deep deep sleep and woke up the next day with jelly leg.

The most important thing is, take your medication on time!!! REMEMBER!! Don't ever forget!!! SET Alarm or whatever to remind you.

Wish you all the best! :)

Wahh of course I remember you, been trying to reach you afterwards for quite a few times to no avail, how have you been man ? So when will you give me tips part 2 eh ? :) If convenient do tell me, so we can chat on IRC again OK ?

Edited by Walking Dead

Guest That's it

HIV is like many other kind of illness. If taken care well, a person can live very very long and by than, let's hope a strong cure will be in place. In the meantime, a person can still have dream and do what they like and achieve their goal in life.

The only deterrent is financial issue because I think, unlike other drugs, HIV drugs are currently not subsidised by governement neither can they use medisave or medisheild to pay for it? I am not sure at this point. So people have to go thailand and share cost among those caught positive after screening. This is a great mitigating factor.

2nd deterrent is the psychological effect. Whether a person is willing to open up his HIV status to family. If family accepted it, that is a HUGE HUGE relief. But the infected person must assure the family members that he can still live very very long like many people. May be 20 years?

Having said that, it is good to mingle and made friends with those who have similar positive status. Through group of people with similar status, encouragement and motivations are forged and you will be much happier with companions.

1. Do not imprision yourself. You are much better than the real prisoners who spend 10 to 20

years in changi prison without seeing daylight.

2. Eat well and enjoy every day with friends and family. You might just surpass them in your

lifespan even when they may not be positive.

3. Continue with protected sex or engaged in less heavy sex activity so as to avoid

getting secondary kind of disease from other people bodily fluids.

4. Take up a healthy hobby, reading writing or craft works to get your mind off all these

unncessary worry.

5. Remember, nobody is immortal, disease of all kinds happened and it can be as lethal as

immeidate effect. Thus HIV pales in comparison to those die in their sleep without

knowing, or paralysed by stroke.

6. Protect those who are negative and treasure the lifes of others as much as you still

treasure yours. God of all forms will walk this journey with you and help you overcome

your worry.

Be Happy even if you are tested postive, it is not the end.

Good advice there, That's it. I guess that's the right attitude to take, even if one is not HIV positive. The part about finding friends of the same status is difficult though, since SG is not as open about it as other countries :) No matter what, it's a consolation that there are so many people offering encouragement and advice, it certainly makes things a BIT more bearable ...

Edited by Walking Dead

HIV is like many other kind of illness. If taken care well, a person can live very very long and by than, let's hope a strong cure will be in place. In the meantime, a person can still have dream and do what they like and achieve their goal in life.

The only deterrent is financial issue because I think, unlike other drugs, HIV drugs are currently not subsidised by governement neither can they use medisave or medisheild to pay for it? I am not sure at this point. So people have to go thailand and share cost among those caught positive after screening. This is a great mitigating factor.

2nd deterrent is the psychological effect. Whether a person is willing to open up his HIV status to family. If family accepted it, that is a HUGE HUGE relief. But the infected person must assure the family members that he can still live very very long like many people. May be 20 years?

Having said that, it is good to mingle and made friends with those who have similar positive status. Through group of people with similar status, encouragement and motivations are forged and you will be much happier with companions.

1. Do not imprision yourself. You are much better than the real prisoners who spend 10 to 20

years in changi prison without seeing daylight.

2. Eat well and enjoy every day with friends and family. You might just surpass them in your

lifespan even when they may not be positive.

3. Continue with protected sex or engaged in less heavy sex activity so as to avoid

getting secondary kind of disease from other people bodily fluids.

4. Take up a healthy hobby, reading writing or craft works to get your mind off all these

unncessary worry.

5. Remember, nobody is immortal, disease of all kinds happened and it can be as lethal as

immeidate effect. Thus HIV pales in comparison to those die in their sleep without

knowing, or paralysed by stroke.

6. Protect those who are negative and treasure the lifes of others as much as you still

treasure yours. God of all forms will walk this journey with you and help you overcome

your worry.

Be Happy even if you are tested postive, it is not the end.

Thank you. It's very heartening to see so many supportive people out there. We need more people like you who can see pass the disease.

Relax. No need to waste money locally. My friend also faced the problem like you did.

In the end, because he was going to see his own specialist in Bangkok every 90 days, he just had the tests done in the hospital there.

Just wait till your next appt in Bangkok with your specialist and get your blood tested.

Didn't your doctor already arrange for all the tests for your next visit?

Meanwhile, drink lots of water to flush out the toxins as the meds might accumulate in your liver.

Keep a low fat diet and I think you should be fine.

Eat lots of veg and fruits and you will be healthy and have glowing skin.

Edited by superflawless

Relax. No need to waste money locally. My friend also faced the problem like you did.

In the end, because he was going to see his own specialist in Bangkok every 90 days, he just had the tests done in the hospital there.

Just wait till your next appt in Bangkok with your specialist and get your blood tested.

Didn't your doctor already arrange for all the tests for your next visit?

Meanwhile, drink lots of water to flush out the toxins as the meds might accumulate in your liver.

Keep a low fat diet and I think you should be fine.

Eat lots of veg and fruits and you will be healthy and have glowing skin.

Erm, because I can't go back within 3 months, that's the problem, my next visit will probably be in about 5 months time, that's why my doctor asked me to try to do it in SG, to ensure that the kidney and liver functions are OK. I was asked to do it within 1 to ensure that it's OK. The kidney function impairment will not show until after things have gone really bad, so it's best to do the tests. I was assuming that the tests are normal tests, but I just wanted to be sure about that part, that's all ...

Guest Guest

Hi WD, I gave u the contact for Dr Chua Cambridge clinic sometime ago. U can ask Dr Chua to do the kidney and liver function tests.

Hi WD, I gave u the contact for Dr Chua Cambridge clinic sometime ago. U can ask Dr Chua to do the kidney and liver function tests.

Hi !! Thanks for the note, I don't need to reveal to him why I need the tests to be done right ? Since they should be generic tests I suppose I don't have to tell him why I need the tests for right ? Thanks so much, at least now I have a place to go for testing. If there's anything I should take note about what and what NOT to tell the Doctor please do tell me OK ? Thanks a lot !!

Guest Guest

Hi !! Thanks for the note, I don't need to reveal to him why I need the tests to be done right ? Since they should be generic tests I suppose I don't have to tell him why I need the tests for right ? Thanks so much, at least now I have a place to go for testing. If there's anything I should take note about what and what NOT to tell the Doctor please do tell me OK ? Thanks a lot !!

Hi, Dr Chua has quite a number of hiv patients and the reason why I sill consult him is that he is compassionate and non-judgemental even more so than the hiv docs in cdc. It would be best if you disclose ur status to him so he know why u are doing the tests. Im sure ur disclosure will be kept confidential. But u've to decide urself to disclose or not. Since u r seeing a hiv doc in BKK, it's good to hve a GP locally who know ur status and care enough not to discriminate but help u when u need medical help. For example, when u r down with some infections, the GP kowning that u r immune compromised will precscribe the appropriate antibiotics. Or you may be having side effects from ur medications like nausea, gastric problems or sleeping problems etc, he will be able to help.

When I started medication 3 yrs ago, I took the stocrin like u but with combivir( u r taking truvuda instead). I had a lot of nausea with combivir. After about a month, I had severe depression because of the stocrin. So I had to quit that combo. U have to watch out for depression too when taking stocrin. Take care!

Hi, Dr Chua has quite a number of hiv patients and the reason why I sill consult him is that he is compassionate and non-judgemental even more so than the hiv docs in cdc. It would be best if you disclose ur status to him so he know why u are doing the tests. Im sure ur disclosure will be kept confidential. But u've to decide urself to disclose or not. Since u r seeing a hiv doc in BKK, it's good to hve a GP locally who know ur status and care enough not to discriminate but help u when u need medical help. For example, when u r down with some infections, the GP kowning that u r immune compromised will precscribe the appropriate antibiotics. Or you may be having side effects from ur medications like nausea, gastric problems or sleeping problems etc, he will be able to help.

When I started medication 3 yrs ago, I took the stocrin like u but with combivir( u r taking truvuda instead). I had a lot of nausea with combivir. After about a month, I had severe depression because of the stocrin. So I had to quit that combo. U have to watch out for depression too when taking stocrin. Take care!

HI again,

Thanks for the note, I'll think about it whether to tell or not I guess. I might just hint but not state it verbally as I really don't want to leave any indications. Furthermore, doctors in SG do have some form of obligation to disclose I think, so best not to get him into an unnecessary situation in case of anything might happen to me. I think hinting might be enough to make him understand and consider other possibilitie if I have some possible Oppoutunistic Infections next time.

• 5 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe for genital warts, only the outward symptoms will be removed. The virus still remains in your body and lies dormant. I think I read that there are MANY strains of HPV virus (that causes genital warts) so it's possible for a person to get multiple infections. There are some topical creams that you can probably get off the shelf from pharmacies if the warts are external,

Oh, to add, any form of STD increases the likelihood of a person getting infected by HIV MANY times, so do take care and practise safe sex if you're unfortunate enough to have gotten genital warts. The chances of someone having any form of STD increases the likelihood of that person to get infected by HIV by MANY MANY fold !

Edited by Walking Dead

• Guest locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.