Male HQ

All About Hiv / Aids Discussion + I Suspect I Might Have Hiv Symptoms + Hiv Medication Prep + I Tested Positive (Compiled)

Guest breakboy

Guest Guest
11 minutes ago, p2468 said:

Hi, can someone share information on the cost of the medication to treat HIV?

It is dependent on the medication as advised by the doctor as some may cost more than others. But typically a month supplies that is bought from Singapore hospital should work out around $150 - $200+. You can use your Medisave for payment (if you have sufficient amount in account for use).

You can purchase the same original medication with a prescription from the Thai Red Cross organization or some of the BKK hospitals. These are cheaper than SG. But unfortunately, now with the lockdown, travelling there may not be that easy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 1:47 PM, Guest Guest said:

It is dependent on the medication as advised by the doctor as some may cost more than others. But typically a month supplies that is bought from Singapore hospital should work out around $150 - $200+. You can use your Medisave for payment (if you have sufficient amount in account for use).

You can purchase the same original medication with a prescription from the Thai Red Cross organization or some of the BKK hospitals. These are cheaper than SG. But unfortunately, now with the lockdown, travelling there may not be that easy.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that can use medisave.

Guest guest
2 hours ago, p2468 said:

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that can use medisave.

There is a cap of $500 per month when using medisave. When using medisave, the medication must be bought from the hospital pharmacy and the cost is much higher than getting from buyers outside. The medical social worker can help to get contacts for buyer.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I bought a HIV rapid test kit from a Chinese guy. The result was negative but it was really fast. Is it normal for rapid test to have result within 2-3 minutes? I usually go for AHT but it is really expensive.

Edited by Heylo

12 hours ago, Heylo said:

Hello, I bought a HIV rapid test kit from a Chinese guy. The result was negative but it was really fast. Is it normal for rapid test to have result within 2-3 minutes? I usually go for AHT but it is really expensive.

AFA.

Syphilis warrants more attention. 

On 7/25/2020 at 9:32 PM, Heylo said:

I suggest you visit a doc for rapid test. 

• 8 months later...

hey just want to shout out to this thread since it gave me support during the phase when I suspect i might get infected. I was glad I tested negative

For those of you who think you might have hiv, this is what I know (I googled like hell), it can be helpful for you. 

1. Blowjob is consider a low risk activity. Saliva actually inactivates more than 90 percent of the HIV-infected blood cells

( I was forced to give deepthroat and he finished off in my throat. While deepthroating, my uvula was bleeding.)

2. You won't developed hiv symptoms the day after or a week after exposure. 

3. Take PEP (Post-exposure prophylaxis) if you are worry about infection. It is best to start PEP within 24 hours, but certainly within 72 hours. Only consider if you have high risk activity like unprotected anal sex. 

4. Google will only increase your anixety! Stress will only led you to develop more symptoms. The only reliable way is to get tested. ( I developed sore throat but I think is because of the deepthroat. I developed rashes on my upper body but it's more pimple like than rashes. I developed swollen lymph nodes because i keep trying to "feel" it.)

5. For as long as your partner viral load stays undetectable, his chance of passing on HIV to you is close to zero. 

6. Just get tested. Gen 4 hiv test after 14 days of exposure

To get tested anonymously (cheap and the people there genuinely are kind):

http://afa.org.sg/whatwedo/support/ats/

To get support:

https://www.gayhealth.sg/

Edited by milky_boi

For anonymous testing:

https://afa.org.sg/whatwedo/support/ats/

For Prep:

You can ask them about Prep when u r there. I believe the DSC clinic which is the same premises offers that during the day.

Edited by PlayersGroup

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, lonely57 said:

What's the cost like for prep? Do I need to abstain from sex for a period of time before going for consult?

you can find the generics cheaper online. I got mine online about $80 for 3 months supply from purchase-prep dot com. they didnt ask for a prescription but would be good to have one. just got it today after about 2 weeks of waiting. thought it got lost or returned because I didnt have a prescription.

as for abstaining, i guess you need about 2 weeks to confirm the HIV results. if you are concerned, you can just retest if you cant abstain. probably just let the doctor know so he can advise you. 

anyway just to update, I got my liver test done at dtap clinic kovan. cost about 200 with consultation. the doctor allowed me to skip the hiv test because i just did one anonymously at AFA a few days before that but he said to bring the results next time. might be cheaper to do it at DSC.

bonus: doctor quite charming in his way. haha. 

Edited by kencer

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Meanly Preacher

Tony Award and Emmy Award winning actor Billy Porter has revealed that he was diagnosed as HIV+ 14 years ago.

He decided to go public in an effort to have some role in attempting to help end the stigma around living with HIV.

I also learned in seeing this news that he drew on his own experience for his acclaimed role as a character with HIV.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi all, reposting this since my earlier post was probably in the wrong channel.

I hope to check with fellow poz people, or people who may have knowledge on the topic I'm asking, about the following questions relating to insurance. It's something I haven't addressed after my diagnosis at afa since several years ago. I currently seek medical treatment overseas and am not registered with CDC, so I don't have many means of getting information about this topic.

1) how do you manage your existing insurance policies hospitalisation, medical or critical illness after your diagnosis? Do you continue to hold them even though the policies may not payout, or terminate these insurance?

2) are there any hospitalisation or critical illness insurance that a person with hiv can buy in SG?

Appreciate if anyone can provide me with some inputs to my questions, thanks in advance!

22 hours ago, Walking_Dead said:

Hi all, reposting this since my earlier post was probably in the wrong channel.

I hope to check with fellow poz people, or people who may have knowledge on the topic I'm asking, about the following questions relating to insurance. It's something I haven't addressed after my diagnosis at afa since several years ago. I currently seek medical treatment overseas and am not registered with CDC, so I don't have many means of getting information about this topic.

1) how do you manage your existing insurance policies hospitalisation, medical or critical illness after your diagnosis? Do you continue to hold them even though the policies may not payout, or terminate these insurance?

2) are there any hospitalisation or critical illness insurance that a person with hiv can buy in SG?

Appreciate if anyone can provide me with some inputs to my questions, thanks in advance!

Hi Walking_Dead,

it looks like a simple google search is showing not much of (outdated) information or lack thereof.

My knowledge is not of first-hand experience neither am I in the healthcare/insurance industry.

First glance is that CI (Critical Illness) is no longer claimable if it's not via work means. WL (Whole Life), TPD (Total Permanent Disability), H&S (Hospitalisation and Surgery) is not mentioned. I do find a gem in that, 2015 has an article about MediShield covering HIV with a add-on 30% for 10 years. https://afa.org.sg/medishield-life-to-cover-hiv-patients-16-feb-2015/

From another insurer that seem to indicate that it's possible to get an insurnace plan that covers HIV persons (article in 2018). https://www.pacificprime.sg/blog/getting-insurance-aids-hiv-singapore/

Information on this is far and few in between and looking at the "progress", i have faith that in 2022, it will be more progressive than 2015. Like seriously, HIV can be controlled with drugs and cancer or those 30 CI is unlikely to be caused by complications of HIV. It's like depriving someone who eats fried food/smoker daily to be covered.

I would,

1) Reach out to your current owned plans provider anonymously (either phone call or burner email) to generally ask about what happens to the policy after diagnosis AND what plans they have to cover existing customers

2) Reach out to AFA/CDC, you don't have to provide your information to get general information

3) Reach out to MediShield (MOH) and ask about coverage - they likely need to put you on the government register

I'm not a believer of ISP (Integrated Shield Plans) but i do own one from younger days and never got to cancelling it. If ISP is not going to cover you, I would suggest making the effort to put those excess premiums into investment (S&P/bonds etc) or MediSave (4%). Premiums get higher due to age (possibility of claiming). https://www.moh.gov.sg/cost-financing/healthcare-schemes-subsidies/medishield-life/medishield-life-premiums-and-subsidies/premium-subsidy-tables

Hi keyboard,

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed reply! My google searches also did not yield much results, that's why I am trying to see if anyone in this forum might have additional information to share with me on this topic. This issue has been on my mind ever since I was diagnosed. 

I will look into your suggestion for 1) and 2) before considering whether to terminate my existing critical illness policies. Thanks again for your inputs!

On 11/30/2022 at 10:57 PM, Walking_Dead said:

I will look into your suggestion for 1) and 2) before considering whether to terminate my existing critical illness policies. Thanks again for your inputs!

Hi Walking_Dead,

was reading through my employee handbook. So it says that upon joining the company and if have any pre-existing illness in the 37 Dreaded Diseases, need to inform the insurer and HR immediately and the money for buying the Group Insurance will be transferred to the Flexi account.

So, yea, in today's term. I believe HIV (non-work) will void the coverage of CI plans.

• 6 months later...
Guest Symptoms

Hello guys, may i know what are the symptoms that you encountered last time before u decided to go for a test?  how frequent it happened and how long it last?

Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...
Guest Nervous

Hi all,

I recently gave a handjob to a stranger in the sauna in the heat of the moment. I left before he cum. What is my risk of std and do I need to go see a doc? Thanks all as this is my first time so am nervous.

Guest Nervous
1 minute ago, Guest Nervous said:

Hi all,

I recently gave a handjob to a stranger in the sauna in the heat of the moment. I left before he cum. What is my risk of std and do I need to go see a doc? Thanks all as this is my first time so am nervous.

Oh, and also, I sucked his nipples, so that’s all I did. Was looking online and it says there is a risk of hpv and herpes?

Guest welcome
3 hours ago, Guest Nervous said:

Oh, and also, I sucked his nipples, so that’s all I did. Was looking online and it says there is a risk of hpv and herpes?

yep u probably have it. 

now u have to abstain from sex to prevent spreading it.

then get tested to confirm it.

then start medication.

too late for regret.

Guest Positive
19 hours ago, Guest Nervous said:

Hi all,

You should always avoid receiving a BJ under oral wounds and bleeding, such as after dental surgery. Otherwise, practically no risk of HIV transmission, blowjobs are counted as "safe" sex (even when the cum enters).

HPV or syphilis can be transmitted. If you find local swelling or ulcers in your mouth afterwards, do visit a doctor.

Guest Positive
20 hours ago, Guest Nervous said:

Hi all,

And handjobs are full safe.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

It's exactly because of people taking PrEP and they think it's ok to have sex without protection that could have caused the rise in HIV numbers among men..

Be safe, practice SAFE SEX and get tested regularly.

3 hours ago, bluerunner said:

It's exactly because of people taking PrEP and they think it's ok to have sex without protection that could have caused the rise in HIV numbers among men..

Actually, just for further discussion...

Isn't wanting to go raw the main reason why people take prep?

I'm just thinking...if taking prep doesn't almost fully eradicate the possibility of contracting HIV, then why would people still wanna take it? Might as well just continue to use condoms

Edited by mate69

3 hours ago, bluerunner said:

I agree. Once in a sauna, a bottom told me it's ok for me to do raw on him since he's on Prep but I still insisted on a condom. For random hookups, there's no reason for me to believe 100 percent what the other party says. He could say he's on Prep, Hiv negative, etc. but there's no way for me to know actually.

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

I agree. Once in a sauna, a bottom told me it's ok for me to do raw on him since he's on Prep but I still insisted on a condom. For random hookups, there's no reason for me to believe 100 percent what the other party says. He could say he's on Prep, Hiv negative, etc. but there's no way for me to know actually.

Something you mixed up: The other sex partner taking Prep doesn't protect you, Prep only protects the person who takes it!

If you intend to protect yourself, you need to be on Prep. 

Unfortunately, I have seen too many on BW who seem to misunderstand Prep. 

9 hours ago, singalion said:

Something you mixed up: The other sex partner taking Prep doesn't protect you, Prep only protects the person who takes it!

This is absolutely correct ^

Guest Positive
4 hours ago, mate69 said:

If you are HIV positive, you must be on the therapy and undetectable to prevent infecting your partner. This is called not PREP, but TasP (Therapy as Prevention). Obviously, you do not need then PREP (you are already infected).

If you are HIV negative (with a recent test), you do not need PREP to prevent infecting anybody (because you have no infection). But you need PREP to prevent getting infected.

On 12/3/2023 at 12:25 PM, singalion said:

MY PARTNER IS ON PREP. CAN THEY BE A “BRIDGE” TO HIV INFECTION IF THEY HAVE SEX WITH SOMEONE WHO IS HIV-POSITIVE?

No cases of this kind of transmission have been reported. PrEP stops HIV from reproducing in the body, so it can’t establish an infection and eventually dies. If your partner has sex with someone living with HIV with a detectable viral load, they will not pass on HIV to you.

https://www.sfaf.org/collections/beta/prep-facts-introduction-faq/#:~:text=No cases of this kind,pass on HIV to you.

20 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

MY PARTNER IS ON PREP. CAN THEY BE A “BRIDGE” TO HIV INFECTION IF THEY HAVE SEX WITH SOMEONE WHO IS HIV-POSITIVE?

No cases of this kind of transmission have been reported. PrEP stops HIV from reproducing in the body, so it can’t establish an infection and eventually dies. If your partner has sex with someone living with HIV with a detectable viral load, they will not pass on HIV to you.

https://www.sfaf.org/collections/beta/prep-facts-introduction-faq/#:~:text=No cases of this kind,pass on HIV to you.

The FAQ from that website:

My partner is on PrEP. Can they be a “bridge” to HIV infection if they have sex with someone who is HIV-positive?

Sorry, I assume you don't understand the scenario from that FAQ.

The case here is about "bridging" an infection.

The fact that your partner takes Prep does not exclude you from contracting HIV, if he is positive.

The crucial point is the status of your partner.

There are certain factors involved, which need to be respected.

=> Therefore, you must protect yourself in first place and take PrEP.

Relying on your partner is much too risky.

PrEP also depends on how regular your partner take it.

There are cases that PrEP doesn't work on people, which means someone who takes PrEP doesn't reach any protection and in that sense is a HIV risk.

What is PrEP?

PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) is medicine that reduces your chances of getting HIV from sex or injection drug use. When taken as prescribed, PrEP is highly effective for preventing HIV. (Note it refers to yourself and not to your sex partner)

How effective is PrEP?

PrEP is highly effective for preventing HIV.
  • PrEP reduces the risk of getting HIV from sex by about 99% when taken as prescribed.
  • Although there is less information about how effective PrEP pills are among people who inject drugs, we know that PrEP pills reduce the risk of getting HIV by at least 74% when taken as prescribed. Currently, PrEP shots are not recommended for people who inject drugs.
  • PrEP is less effective when not taken as prescribed.

How long does PrEP take to work?

• For receptive anal sex (bottoming), PrEP pills reach maximum protection from HIV at about 7 days of daily use.
  • No data are available for PrEP pill effectiveness for insertive anal sex (topping) or insertive vaginal sex.
  • We don’t know how long it takes for PrEP shots to reach maximum protection during sex. (these are injections).

If I stopped taking PrEP, how do I start taking it again?

Tell your health care provider that you would like to start taking PrEP again. You will need to take an HIV test before you start PrEP to make sure you don’t have HIV.

Can I take PrEP just once, if I think I might have recently been exposed to HIV?
  • PrEP is for people who are at ongoing risk for HIV.
  • PrEP is not the right choice for people who may have been exposed to HIV in the last 72 hours.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/prep/about-prep.html

=> You must be responsible to yourself and take PrEP yourself instead of relying on someone else or your sex partner.

Edited by singalion

Guest Positive
16 hours ago, mate69 said:

Remember that PREP is NOT a replacement for the therapy. If somebody already has HIV (without knowing it) and he goes on PREP, this will not suppress the infection. Such person on PREP can infect others with HIV.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.