Male HQ

What Side Dish Best Suited To Plain Porridge?

Guest Teochew Porridge

Guest Teochew Porridge

Sometime I wanted to eat simple, so I cooked some plain porridge but the following are items I tried before though they may be high in sodium. Any other suggestions?

1  Salted black Olive

2. Canned Baked peanut

3. Sardine Fish in Can

4. Salted Sichuan Vegetable

5. Salted Egg

6. Fried Ikan Billis

7. Century Egg

8. Fried Luncheon Meat

9. Achar

Anymore? I know is not heatlhy but..it usually goest well with porridge.

Sometime I wanted to eat simple, so I cooked some plain porridge but the following are items I tried before though they may be high in sodium. Any other suggestions?

1  Salted black Olive

2. Canned Baked peanut

3. Sardine Fish in Can

4. Salted Sichuan Vegetable

5. Salted Egg

6. Fried Ikan Billis

7. Century Egg

8. Fried Luncheon Meat

9. Achar

Anymore? I know is not heatlhy but..it usually goest well with porridge.

A typical teochew-moi....:)

You may try on new dishes such as: fried egg with onion, fried egg with minced meat, fried egg with cai-dalo, steam fish and "fu-ru" .

Occasional lazy weekend brunch -

Fried dace w/ salted black beans (canned) or

Tunamagik - minced tuna in spicy sauce (Ayam brand)

plus an omelet w/ chai poh.

And I always add a large spoonful of Marmite to the plain hot porridge. (try cooking porridge with about 1/3 in brown rice)

YESSS. Oh and pickled lettuce :)

Chye-poh omelette .... Tasty :)

Btw, do you make homemade chinchalok?

NTUC sells those bottled chinchalok. 

Just cut some small onions, sliced chilli and squeeze some lime juice over the chinchalok and you have a very tasty dish.

NTUC also sells those all ready made with chilli and lime if you want the short cut method.

NTUC sells those bottled chinchalok. 

Just cut some small onions, sliced chilli and squeeze some lime juice over the chinchalok and you have a very tasty dish.

NTUC also sells those all ready made with chilli and lime if you want the short cut method.

Thanks for the info.

The quality of chinchalok is very depends to the shrimp (must be fresh) and belacan..

Thanks for the info.

The quality of chinchalok is very depends to the shrimp (must be fresh) and belacan..

Yes. But nowadays Kelong is like non-existent so hard to find those kelong make type.

Have to rely on what is available at the supermarket. Also have to try several brands to find the right one.

Yes. But nowadays Kelong is like non-existent so hard to find those kelong make type.

Have to rely on what is available at the supermarket. Also have to try several brands to find the right one.

Exactly, it's hardly to find a fresh shrimp in local....still miss of homemake Chincalok..:)

Btw, what brand (in the market) would u like to recommend? Because I'd like to give them a try

Guest Squid in bottle

Exactly, it's hardly to find a fresh shrimp in local....still miss of homemake Chincalok.. :)

Btw, what brand (in the market) would u like to recommend? Because I'd like to give them a try

I also love the squid type. But Singapore no more selling, can only find them in Malaysia. Unless someone can tell me where to find them in Singapore.

Guest Cheng Cheng Moi

I love pickled lettuce or salted/sour pickled mustard

Salted fish that is fried, pounded. Squeezed over some lime juice and add cut chillies. Yum!

When salted fish is fried, remember to put your laundry away otherwise whole house stink...hahah.

Exactly, it's hardly to find a fresh shrimp in local....still miss of homemake Chincalok.. :)

The brand I am trying out now is Singlong for both the chilli and lime mix as well as the basic chinchalok.

I also love the squid type. But Singapore no more selling, can only find them in Malaysia. Unless someone can tell me where to find them in Singapore.

Hmm how to think of it I do not recall seeing it. Will go this weekend to check out NTUC.

You are right. Slice the squid, mix with chill and onion slices and juice in a nice dollop of lime juice. Also another good side dish for the porridge. Yummy 

Hi, how long can you finish one bottle of Chincalok? How long can it be lasted? Because it do not indicate the epiry date...

There are expiry dates. It is either at the bottom of the bottom or printed along somewhere along the labels. The two bottles which I bought will expire next year 2015.

Both of my bottles are now about half full. Bought it 3 months back.

Really depends on how much you consume I guess.

Hope that helps

Anyone knows of this Malaysian Chinese porridge side dish made from fermenting live baby mud crabs in a soy sauce concoction with other ingredients which is best consumed cold right out the fridge? I think it is called "bwah ki" or something that sounds close to this. 

Had it when I was just a teenager and never had the chance to try it again ever since. Although it may not sound like the most appetising thing, it was really really good with Chinese rice porridge.

ksy1f2jn2osi403qdr6f.gif

Anyone knows of this Malaysian Chinese porridge side dish made from fermenting live baby mud crabs in a soy sauce concoction with other ingredients which is best consumed cold right out the fridge? I think it is called "bwah ki" or something that sounds close to this. 

Had it when I was just a teenager and never had the chance to try it again ever since. Although it may not sound like the most appetising thing, it was really really good with Chinese rice porridge.

Is it very small crabs that is raw and literally soaked in some sauce like soya sauce.

I have not seen it for a long time as well.

There are expiry dates. It is either at the bottom of the bottom or printed along somewhere along the labels. The two bottles which I bought will expire next year 2015.

Both of my bottles are now about half full. Bought it 3 months back.

Really depends on how much you consume I guess.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the information. I'm trying to figure when am I going to finish it.....:)

Btw, (out of topic) have u tried the chwee kuey - from both tiong Bahru Jian poh, and Bedok Chwee kuey? Which one is better?

Thanks for the information. I'm trying to figure when am I going to finish it..... :)

Btw, (out of topic) have u tried the chwee kuey - from both tiong Bahru Jian poh, and Bedok Chwee kuey? Which one is better?

It has been a long time since I tried both so to answer that question without trying again would not be fair to both parties LOL.

Let me try both stalls again then I can tell you. Incidentally, Is Bedok Chwee Kuey located at the old Bedok Bus Interchange? If so, I heard that they are currently under going renovation so might not have opportunities to sample it at the moment.

It has been a long time since I tried both so to answer that question without trying again would not be fair to both parties LOL.

Let me try both stalls again then I can tell you. Incidentally, Is Bedok Chwee Kuey located at the old Bedok Bus Interchange? If so, I heard that they are currently under going renovation so might not have opportunities to sample it at the moment.

Hi, there are a few branches of Bedok Chwee kuey located islandwide.... U can find the nearest stall through the website at www.punggol.sg.

Kindly share with us your comments after trying the chwee kuey from both - Jian poh, & Bedok chwee kuey....:)

(Apologise.. Out of topic...:) )

Edited by justin1982

Hi, there are a few branches of Bedok Chwee kuey located islandwide.... U can find the nearest stall through the website at www.punggol.sg.

Kindly share with us your comments after trying the chwee kuey from both - Jian poh, & Bedok chwee kuey.... :)

(Apologise.. Out of topic... :) )

No problem. Is www.punggol.sg the correct url as it brings me to punggol community forum.  :mellow:

Kindly share with us your comments after trying the chwee kuey from both - Jian poh, & Bedok chwee kuey.... :)

(Apologise.. Out of topic... :) )

Tried Jian Poh the Tiong Bahru Chwee Kuey. The Chwee Kuey is still as I remembered it. Firm and tender. The chye poh that I tried was just nice in terms of saltiness and sweetness. However, sad to say it is not fragrant. In fact, the standard for the chye poh has dropped. The chilli is not that spicy with a hint of small shrimp (Hei Bee) taste.

Will let you know about the Bedok Chwee Kuey when I locate the store sellingit.

Guest Thai fav

I bought them at Little Thai in Goldmile supermarket.  It came in jar but my mom said not very fresh. She reboiled it, squeeze lime...etc.  You can also try asking those small shops at the ground floor, they seems to sell all kind of "salty stuff" to go with rice.  I like their shredded sourish mango to go with porridge.  I also sprinkle thai chillie powder (those rough type) on my porridge to stir.  I like shopping in Golden mile complex for my side dish porridge needs.  Those were the days when I am thrifty and need to save money, I eat porridge and store the side dishes in the fridge for next day consumption.

Guest Should try

Wow!!! looks so elaborate and yet those ingredients are so simple to get.  I thought Bwah Ki are those tiny saltish crab in a small jars. This one looks "huge" and fresh. Didn't know Kwah Ki is still alive above water. I thought they will be dead the moment they are send to market.

Wow!!! looks so elaborate and yet those ingredients are so simple to get.  I thought Bwah Ki are those tiny saltish crab in a small jars. This one looks "huge" and fresh. Didn't know Kwah Ki is still alive above water. I thought they will be dead the moment they are send to market.

I remember that the baby crabs were actually marinated while they were alive. They were simply washed and then placed into a jar and soaked with the marinade. The marinade is a lot simpler than this Korean version if I recall correctly, Involved just a few bottles of this and that. Sigh...piping hot porridge worked really well with the cold raw salty crabs.

ksy1f2jn2osi403qdr6f.gif

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.