Male HQ

Can You Swim?

ouat1972

On 1/15/2016 at 4:40 PM, tinkero said:

I think more like regaining water confidence bah.... at the same time..... it kind of depends where u left off....... 

Got my silver and long distance. 

And I think that is during my secondary sch days.

Since then, the number of times I went in to the pool is countable sia.............

I want to start a swimming regimen again.

I had never been able to swim and water scared me. I still remember vividly back when there was a compulsory 'Learn to Swim' programme for non-swimmers in Sec 1 and I was one of them. While I attended a few sessions, I also played truant when I found the chance to, so much so that I would wash my dry trunks when I got home, pretending that I had gone for it. Well, years passed and in JC, swimming was part of the PE curriculum (since there was a swimming complex in my sch) and the phobia returned to haunt me, though I had more fun learning how to swim this time (but still couldn't master any stroke). During NS, I was in the non-swimmer group and even before ORD, I couldn't swim a full length. Ironically, it was after ORD when a few of us army buddies met and made swimming our Sunday activity. Slowly with the "kick, glide, pull" (can still recall my PTI's instruction for breaststroke), swimming for me became a breeze. Too bad my Sunday swimming ended too quickly due to study and work commitments, but now I make it a point to swim whenever the weather and my schedule permit. Now I go for the continuous lap section at the pools to build up my stamina. So far so good! Of cuz, the eye candy at the pool helps to distract me if I ever think of taking a rest.

• 3 weeks later...

Once u master it... it's an enjoyable activity especially during a hot day.

:mellow:  :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink: ~Say also Never Listen, Listen also Never Understand, Never Understand also Never Ask, Ask also Never Do, Do also Do Wrongly, Do Wrongly also Never Admit, Admit also Never Correct, Correct also Not Happy, Not Happy also Never Say~ :huh: ^_^  :o  ;)  

Everyone that is a nonswimmer consolidate namelist and then go for a lesson together lah. 

As for cycling. I learned at pulau ubin. First is balancing there are slopes in ubin, just let the bicycle ride its own downhill while trying to learn balance. Once mastered the balance, can try to peddle. 

So how? Consolidate?

13 hours ago, charvo87 said:

Everyone that is a nonswimmer consolidate namelist and then go for a lesson together lah. 

As for cycling. I learned at pulau ubin. First is balancing there are slopes in ubin, just let the bicycle ride its own downhill while trying to learn balance. Once mastered the balance, can try to peddle. 

So how? Consolidate?

What a great idea !!! Please make it happen.

I wanna learn cycling. Still stuck at the indoor version.

10 laps of breaststroke and 5 laps of freestyle for me. :)

I am more lucky in a way cos my mum pushed me to all kinds of sports when i was young like starting to learn from 6 yr old. Swim, cycle and badminton. When i got older after 12 yr old, i was intro to judo n tennis. 

Edited by jocker

Dont know swimming. 

Willing and desperate to learn basic swimming. 

Looking for anybody interested to volunteer to teach. 

We can definitely be friends besides learning swimming.

i am open for anybody interested to join with me for group swimming learning.

Contact me for anybody interested to teach or join for group learning. 

You can also contact me otherwise too. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 17 January 2016 at 11:25 PM, bluerunner said:

Swimming is a sport that we need to keep on doing to improve because our muscles memory do not have swimming imprinted inside; we so not live in water. 

@JYAG-sim: thank you for re-inspiring us. :thumb:

Agree! I could see myself improve when there's a period I kept swimming. Now I am better.

Yes, I swim. I am also a certified lifeguard. :) According to WHO 

• Drowning is the 3rd leading cause of unintentional injury death worldwide, accounting for 7% of all injury-related deaths.

And most of it can be prevented by learning how to swim.

Edited by sivi

8 hours ago, sivi said:

Yes, I swim. I am also a certified lifeguard. :) According to WHO 

• Drowning is the 3rd leading cause of unintentional injury death worldwide, accounting for 7% of all injury-related deaths.

And most of it can be prevented by learning how to swim.

Would you mind helping me, @Antilian and @vincentlee with swimming stroke correction? Or do you have any tips for us?

On 19 March 2016 at 2:02 PM, sivi said:

@jeeves @Antilian @vincentlee @ryk @Matth sure, and i don't know if you guys are serious. lol ;)

Hi guys, I'm a keen swimmer. I don't mind meeting up and would appreciate if someone could watch and correct my strokes. Flip turn and butterfly@ryk. I can help you. Taught my bf how to swim free :P

Tip from my comp days... To help regulate your breathing when you swim the front crawl(aka free) - hum while breath out through your nose.

On 19 March 2016 at 2:02 PM, sivi said:

@jeeves @Antilian @vincentlee @ryk @Matth sure, and i don't know if you guys are serious. lol ;)

If you've not done a gym session or exercised before you hit the pool, try not to start with swimming breaststroke. I think, a lot of us we taught to breaststroke(like when we were/are in the army), but not many coaches have explained that it is a technically demanding stroke and if not done correctly can injure your knees and pelvic joints...

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Shinhao said:

Hi guys, I'm a keen swimmer. I don't mind meeting up and would appreciate if someone could watch and correct my strokes. Flip turn and butterfly@ryk. I can help you. Taught my bf how to swim free :P

Tip from my comp days... To help regulate your breathing when you swim the front crawl(aka free) - hum while breath out through your nose.

So when are we starting? 

8 hours ago, ryk said:

So when are we starting? 

Hi ryk, anytime. However, not all public pools allow "coaching" as the lifeguards will come over to stop. Happened to my bf and I. Possible pools are FF at Funsionpolis and Hometeam Sembawang...(I don't live in a condo)

Anyone got other suggestions for pools?

28 minutes ago, Shinhao said:

Hi ryk, anytime. However, not all public pools allow "coaching" as the lifeguards will come over to stop. Happened to my bf and I. Possible pools are FF at Funsionpolis and Hometeam Sembawang...(I don't live in a condo)

Anyone got other suggestions for pools?

Try doing it in the teaching pool (aka shallow pool). Lifeguard may close an eye. Better if you got someone to help you so that it looks like two groups of ppl. 

On 21 March 2016 at 0:45 PM, Wakko Warner said:

I can teach, but not many people wanna swim with stocky ex-school team swimmer/ hahaha

Why not. You mean those so called "want to learn swim" is actually hoping for a good hot session with sexy swimming instructor after "swimming lesson" ah?! :P

13 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Try doing it in the teaching pool (aka shallow pool). Lifeguard may close an eye. Better if you got someone to help you so that it looks like two groups of ppl. 

That is a good idea. 

SAFRA pools also tricky to help ppl. Lucky my bf and I stay in the north and we discovered that hometeam Sembawang is very relaxed with "coaching"/buddy training.