Male HQ

Hi Bros, Help Me Think Of A Salon Name

Hi Bros,

I am planning to setup a hair salon with a fren.  I need a nice and suitable name.  Appreciate if you could give me suggestions.  If eventually I use your suggested name, I will contact you and my salon will give you a free haircut & coloring.

So, please keep the names coming!  

Thanks in advance!

Guest Glyph

To most, a haircut is simply a necessary routine of self-grooming. We'd do this every (other) month, or at the interval of a few weeks for those with shorter hair. But for some, it is more than that. When one decides to change, usually the physical outlook, the first thing that comes to mind when looking in the mirror is the hair. More than often, these individuals find themselves in a questioning state through the middle of the haircut. I couldn't find any better word than 'Liminality' to describe this.

In anthropologyliminality (from the Latin word līmen, meaning "a threshold") is the quality of ambiguity or disorientation that occurs in the middle stage of rituals, when participants no longer hold their pre-ritual status but have not yet begun the transition to the status they will hold when the ritual is complete. During a ritual's liminal stage, participants "stand at the threshold" between their previous way of structuring their identity, time, or community, and a new way, which the ritual establishes.

Wiki

But I'm guessing if a customer starts asking you about this, assuming you took this name, then you're going to have a lot of explanation to do.

If you wanted something more generic, it'll be something along the lines of 'Hairnessity'.

Hi Bros,

I am planning to setup a hair salon with a fren.  I need a nice and suitable name.  Appreciate if you could give me suggestions.  If eventually I use your suggested name, I will contact you and my salon will give you a free haircut & coloring.

Thanks in advance!

If coming up with a good name is important, you have to go beyond just telling people to just come up with a name. Good branding and marketing if that's important to you to compete with other salons around you is crucial.  A good business depends on more then just a name.

You should consider giving hints to help people come up with the name that will fit your salon. Make a name too fancy or play on word to cleverly can ONLY work depend on where your salon is located and your target audience.

Also your name should reflect how your store look. How much money are you putting into the store fit-out to hold that name?  Location of the shop or mall? I could go on... Have you ever come across a shop name and you look at the shop ans say, "wah very cool" or "wahlau.. such a fancy name but the shop look like..." etc, People would need to know more about your salon to help them not waste time coming up with names for sure will not fit. right now I see all the suggestions are whacking all over the place as no one knows what kind of level of salon you are setting up.

But suffice to say, you want a good name for your salon? You to provide more information like what kind of neighborhood it will be situated, anything special about it, are there other competing salons near your salon? If so, what are they using as names? Their shop front design? Who are their clients or walk-in? What kind of setting design and theme or color your salon fit-out looks like or are you taking over from others and using their existing salons? even a small business today need to take some time to plan for branding and marketing to help you distinguish your shop from another. They will make a difference to any biz this day to survive.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Thanks Upshot, for your kind feedback.

And also for those who have or intend to respond, below are some info which I hope it will help based in Upshot's feedback.

The shop will be located at City Square Mall. Main competitor will be Jean Yip. The charges will be similar to Jean Yip.

For the inagie of the shop, I will be looking at more towards a stylist kind, but not equivalent to Orchard Road high-end since it is not located in town.

For the name, I am not looking at a 'phrase'. Examples of salon names which I like will be Passion, Red etc. I like something short & catchy, something easy for people to pronounce & remember.

Yes, I will be engaging some image & advertising company to help me to do the packaging. I know that one should not rush into things. Unfortunately, due to the circumstances, time is not on my side. For the advertising, there is still some time. But I need to register my company soon & settle the contractual aspect with the mall. As such , the name is a bit of a rush. Btw, I am not a hairstylist by profession. I will be more of a silent partner.

Thanks guys!

Thanks Upshot, for your kind feedback.

And also for those who have or intend to respond, below are some info which I hope it will help based in Upshot's feedback.

The shop will be located at City Square Mall. Main competitor will be Jean Yip. The charges will be similar to Jean Yip.

For the inagie of the shop, I will be looking at more towards a stylist kind, but not equivalent to Orchard Road high-end since it is not located in town.

For the name, I am not looking at a 'phrase'. Examples of salon names which I like will be Passion, Red etc. I like something short & catchy, something easy for people to pronounce & remember.

Yes, I will be engaging some image & advertising company to help me to do the packaging. I know that one should not rush into things. Unfortunately, due to the circumstances, time is not on my side. For the advertising, there is still some time. But I need to register my company soon & settle the contractual aspect with the mall. As such , the name is a bit of a rush. Btw, I am not a hairstylist by profession. I will be more of a silent partner.

Thanks guys!

If you are catering to both sexes.. be careful that the name is gender neutral or you might push away either gender. But if your salon is slanted heavily to one sex then the name has to speak that message strongly. What is your partner's name? The name of the salon does not have to be anything related to hair or has any word related to hair. Have you check the phone directory to see what names are already taken so as to not waste time confirming one and then find out it is already taken.

As it is in a mall and not at some HDB shop housing.. a proper name is good. If the name is not strong, you can have a logo to represent it. But not a name too fancy that it does not hold up to your salon and services after one visit.

One word name is always good as it is easy to remember and if straight forward, a name easy to understand. Match that to your target audience intellectual level.

Some quick example below to show what I mean.

Hair Job - Tougue in cheek ( cater to gays?? maybe but why not heheh)

Tops & Bottoms ( leave that to the mind to think what it measn but it can mean again.. hair and beard heheh)

UpperCut - Manly salon type name of you cater to males

Locks - Dainty and feminine

Hairdo - To the point. With a catchy logo can look unigue.

Sculpt - A little high browbut upper hair salon sounding

Expression - very commonly use by itself or as arty phrase...avoid at all cost

Highlight - Quite gender neutral and not trying hard to focus on hair

Headmaster - Manly salon type name

UberCut - trying to catch the younger generation type name

Hair Apparent - Play on words but a little comical

Combs - Manly and relate to what you use on your hair as an after effect.

Hair Brain - sounds catchy but remember it also sound like you will not do a good job of cutting the hair but to the fun folk it is a cool name. So know your audience.

Don't get too french and sophisticated till no one understand or draw the wrong people there or push off people. even the most expensive salon don;t use such hard to pronounce and foreign worded names. In the 70s & 80s that is so popular that is hurts.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest Glyph

That makes things a whole lot easier, but at the same time you're going to lose out on the holism of a name. Not that many of store names out there make sense, but have you considered how this might affect the future prospects of your business in the long run?

Anyhow, here's just a few I came up with.

Apt

Gale (monsoon might come after your butt)

And I really like this one, Deft(cut). You don't have to spell 'cut' out, just insert a cutting/slashing design of sort as representation behind Deft.

Guest Guest

The world is going the very weird and strange way so it is better to get what they think is creative name like 'A very long cut ' , Endless cut ' , ' i cut , u cut ' 'A good Gan ' , 'Gan , Gan ' hair salon , etc unti you can name your salon as yours like Kim Robinson ...or just 'Big , big' hair salon ....., get names for your staff like Melon , Big Banana , peachy , papaya ......

Guest Guest

Hairz

Uncut

Summer

Hairy Cutter

Stylez

Coupe de Cheveux

Cheveux

Corte de Pelo

Cabello

Elegante

élégant

Please lah , how to pronounce Ccoupe de Cheveux ,etc ? Is it Kopi the cheebye ? What ever happen to Motorrola when they have to change name in HK due to it's jobless sounding word in Cantonese ?!

Hair Tech

A Cut Above( there is salon with this name, is here bcoz I like it)

All About Hair

Hair Service Center

Hair System

The Mane

Follicle

Srt8 and Curls

Long and Short

Guest AppleBee

Congratulations to you! Best wishes to you and your team! 

Here are my suggestions: 

1) Highlights

Playing on the 2 meanings of the word "highlight". 

1. draw special attention to.
    "the issues highlighted by the report"
    synonyms: call attention to, focus attention on, focus on, spotlightforeground,underlineunderscorefeature, point up, play up, show up, bring out,accentuateaccent, give prominence to, bring to the fore, zero in on,bring home to one, stressemphasize, place emphasis on, give emphasis to
    "this has highlighted a number of shortcomings in the technical arrangements"

2. 2.
    create highlights in (hair).
    "I've had my hair highlighted regularly for the last ten years"

2) The Mane Event

Playing on the words "Mane" and "Main" 

mane
meɪn/
noun

• a person's long flowing hair.
      "he had a mane of white hair"

3) Shimmer

shimmer
ˈʃɪmə/
verb

1. 1.
    shine with a soft, slightly wavering light.

Guest AppleBee

Another one...

4) Luscious 

luscious

ˈlʌʃəs/
adjective
adjective: luscious
    • appealing strongly to the senses; pleasingly rich.
      "the luscious brush strokes and warm colours of these late masterpieces"
    • (of a woman) very sexually attractive.
      "he'll fall for a luscious Spanish girl who can match him in passion"

Guest wozzit

I assume u will be offering more than just hair cuts n styling - things like nail clipping service. So my thought is

Treats and Toppings

I realise there r 2 problems. Shorten it n you get TAT!! Plus toppings is a bit in the news with ISIS in Iraq n Syria - so coming in to a salon for a beheading may not be for everyone  :o  :o

Guest Guestonly

S[]air = square

Add scissor on the right bottom corner of []= look like ...Q

or

Add scissor horizontaly at ][ = S Hair

thus S = super,stylish,sexy...

Guest Parental Love

Hi Bros,

Thanks in advance!

Salon, or any business, is a personal thing. It comes from your deep heart,  you will have your soul put into it. It may become your lifetime buddy. It is a relationship between you and your business. It was like...your baby is born. Give it a name by yourself, it is your child.  Don't let other parents name your baby. Otherwise you will live in shadow if your child grew, and you felt this son is not yours because it carries other people names regardless of its success.  There is no need to be fanciful, but meaningful.

Guest Guest

I suggest if you owned the salon with your own startup capital better use your own name as you can sell it as a franchise later or if it's in partnership find a combine name for the salon. Most salons that I know of like that unless it's a franchise salon.

Whatever the name is, do note that names do carry weight.  Well, if you believe it, of course :)

You need to connect to the name.  You need to 'feel' it.  When you are 'feeling' it, you have to 'see' into the future.

Just like you, I have a friend who started a salon some 20 years ago.  Using part of his name and something resembling abundance, his business strives till today.  I must say, he is doing very very well.

(To respect him, I am not able to divulge much)

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

Hi Bros,

Thank you for all the suggestions. My business partner decided on another name, not as nice as some of the names which have been suggested by you guys, but I am ok since I will be the sleeping partner. I will post for BW members discount when it is open around November.

Through this post, though I did not manage to use the suggested names, it really touches me on how so many of you actually took the effort to respond. Thank you :)